The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

pruitt2
Jesus Quintana

Re: The Captain Trips Anxiety thread

Post by pruitt2 »

Anxiety issues seems to be one of the many unwelcome guests in our aging bodies and minds.

Fresh air, deep breaths, meditation, therapy, meds. They all can do wonders.
From the north coast of Lake Ontario
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I talked to a friend today who just had COVID. She asked me if I had an increase in anxiety/panic attacks after COVID which I totally did when I thought about it. I always excused it due to a minor medical issue I ended up having, but they'll still randomly come on. When I described AB's symptoms she said she gets the same exact thing.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:09 pm I talked to a friend today who just had COVID. She asked me if I had an increase in anxiety/panic attacks after COVID which I totally did when I thought about it. I always excused it due to a minor medical issue I ended up having, but they'll still randomly come on. When I described AB's symptoms she said she gets the same exact thing.
There are a lot of articles and studies on Post-COVID Stress Disorder. There may be something to this.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:14 pm This is as good a place as any and I just need to unload some stuff, mostly for my own sanity of knowing the things that might be causing it. I think for the first time in my life I have an actual struggle with anxiety. The past couple of months (and the last 4 weeks specifically) have been very hard. I have days where i can't eat because it's just a pit in my stomach and nothing I can really place a true answer on. Like, I' now when I'm hungover or have a stomach bug but this isn't it. Just a constant in my stomach being THERE. Here are a few of the things I've had on my plate that took me well out of my comfort zone:

- Getting the youngest through high school. It was one math class that was the problem but it was a big issue. Luckily we got that done.
- Boss leaves for a new job, throwing all our team into turmoil. Moreso that most of the others, I relied on direct guidance from my supervisor on my projects. I've never really had my own "region" the way others have and it's kind of biting me right now.
- Boston for all the graduations. The travel went fine overall but the moving back and getting all the stuff form their apartment caused a fair amount of problems.
- Also still having classwork to do in my last semester of MBA.
- Moving my in-laws stuff from the condo they sold to various spots. Just too old for that shit. And on top of that they kept talking about having the money to put their pool in and get a golf cart in Florida. SO pay for some help!
- Fucking COVID and all the two weeks that fucked things up.
- Oldest comes back to be here for a couple of weeks and it just always messes things up. Then on top of that, we have to figure out what goes to DC and what stays and how to get it there (luckily they do get a relocation stipend that will cover the cost so there's not much of that to worry about.) so we head to DC Friday.
- Yesterday thought I was just hungover from early father's day but it's persisted into today and I was flat miserable. But again, this doesn't feel like any hangover I've ever had. So that put me further behind with some deadlines today, but at least I've been able to sit up.
- I also don't think I want to keep working here. The things they have mentioned for me puts me back 20 years in terms of doing the same things again that I did back then, for the same guy. I've mentioned in here before about "hitting a ceiling" and it's true that I've not been able to get into a supervisor role after 26 years. And then they say we may just put you back with "Manager xx" who I didn't really even get along that great with. I', just 45 so if I nee to move somewhere for another 20 years I think I can find something for that. I dunno, it's been so long sin'ce I've actively looked.

Anyway, I've just got a lot going on in my head, so let this post just be a journal entry.

TL:DR - AB is having a bad few weeks and probably being a bit of a baby about it.
So now it's all down to job stuff. Fun!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good luck, man.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:51 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:14 pm This is as good a place as any and I just need to unload some stuff, mostly for my own sanity of knowing the things that might be causing it. I think for the first time in my life I have an actual struggle with anxiety. The past couple of months (and the last 4 weeks specifically) have been very hard. I have days where i can't eat because it's just a pit in my stomach and nothing I can really place a true answer on. Like, I' now when I'm hungover or have a stomach bug but this isn't it. Just a constant in my stomach being THERE. Here are a few of the things I've had on my plate that took me well out of my comfort zone:

So now it's all down to job stuff. Fun!
So fun thing happened last night. Woke up at 345 and was in the middle of an anxiety attack. WTF is up with that? I was asleep! Anxiety can do that?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Just turn yourself in and hire a lawyer. You get bond
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 am
So fun thing happened last night. Woke up at 345 and was in the middle of an anxiety attack. WTF is up with that? I was asleep! Anxiety can do that?
My first couple of anxiety attacks occurred that way.

Must be subconscious going berserk. Once I was dreaming of suffocating and woke up mid-attack. Good times. Calming videos, deep breaths and - of course - ativan calmed me down.
Canadian International
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

wow - the coincidence of seeing this today. about 90 minutes before my dog episode/s last night this exact thing happened to me. jeez. i woke in a panic, couldn't breathe (i could), and had the most vivid and horrible claustrophobia. Went to the bathroom to get some water and try to calm tf down.

maybe i need drugs
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:57 am
A_B wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 am
My first couple of anxiety attacks occurred that way.

Must be subconscious going berserk. Once I was dreaming of suffocating and woke up mid-attack. Good times. Calming videos, deep breaths and - of course - ativan calmed me down.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Also, many calming videos available on YouTube in case of emergency.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Tested positive for the first time in nearly two years the fucking day before I meet chedda. Really really bummed.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Gonna get a T-shirt screen printed with, "Someone I know went to Texas and all I got was this lousy photo of Giff holding a positive COVID test"
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Speaking of t-shirts, I already had my Death Cab one laid out.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:18 pm Speaking of t-shirts, I already had my Death Cab one laid out.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's great.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Should have replaced the circles with little spiky covids.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Guys, I'd really appreciate some thots and prayers that I don't diarrhea again from these meds because I'm pretty sure I have an internal hemorrhoid and it's like lava spraying out of there and it makes me want to cry.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:39 am Guys, I'd really appreciate some thots and prayers that I don't diarrhea again from these meds because I'm pretty sure I have an internal hemorrhoid and it's like lava spraying out of there and it makes me want to cry.
Cross-posted from the "getting it in the butt" thread?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wife woke up with a bad enough cold that she wasn't going to go to work. She took a test just in case and...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pregnant?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Getting the flu/covid double shot Saturday. Looking forward to it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:13 amPregnant?
oh god no
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:17 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:13 amPregnant?
oh god no
Covid doesn't seem so bad now, does it?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hope it's mild like mine was, rass.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:04 am Hope it's mild like mine ...ass.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Mine was mild, at least from what I read/heard about other strains. Felt crappy on Wednesday (fever), then on Thursday I was in a fugue state -- dizzy, fever, zero appetite. Felt better on Friday and by Saturday/Sunday I was up and moving just fine.

ETA - This was in early September, I assume it's the same strain.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Daughter flew to Seattle to see friends and go to a concert. Covid. Had to delay her return to DC.

I have an appointment for a jab on the 19th. Can’t wait.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So far so good for everyone else in the house. Though my body (back) finally rebelled against the air mattress last night (night 3) and I risked moving to a couch in the middle of the night.

My wife is finally feeling a little better today, headache has receded at least. But I am a little worried because she’s been holed up in our bedroom by herself since Thursday (other than time with the dog until he annoys her too much) binging episode after episode of The Handmaid’s Tale. Fun weekend.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I got both the Covid and Flu jabs yesterday, and it’s doing a number on me. I took an hour-long nap just now and will call it an early day around 3:30. I might end up recording the game tonight and watch it in the morning. If I do I’ll still wear my game-watching gear.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:58 pm I got both the Covid and Flu jabs yesterday, and it’s doing a number on me. I took an hour-long nap just now and will call it an early day around 3:30. I might end up recording the game tonight and watch it in the morning. If I do I’ll still wear my game-watching gear.
Awww! Did they give your little Schwar-bear bandaids, too?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Nahh, I got them at a Rite-Aid. They gave me a free opioid script with the shot.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:58 pm I got both the Covid and Flu jabs yesterday, and it’s doing a number on me. I took an hour-long nap just now and will call it an early day around 3:30. I might end up recording the game tonight and watch it in the morning. If I do I’ll still wear my game-watching gear.
Got the combo on Saturday - other than two sore arms for 24 hours, got away scotfree on complications.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I just got the Covid jab. Hope I don’t get much after-effect, but if I do, y’all will be among the first to know.

Decided to space out my jabs. I’ll get shots for flu and rsv a week from today.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:08 pm Nahh, I got them at a Rite-Aid. They gave me a free opioid script with the shot.
Ah, the old going out of business special.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Wife's office has a couple of positive tests. One of the husbands of her staff works in my office. We shall see what transpires.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:02 am Wife's office has a couple of positive tests. One of the husbands of her staff works in my office. We shall see what transpires.
I've taken over the outreach when any of our employees test positive and were close contacts with other employees. Seen a bunch of people who were positive sitting in all-day meetings or attending a firm party. Doesn't seem like any spread amongst employees in the past six months, and lots of people reaching out saying they tested positive. Very bizarre.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I hope everyone here has gotten latest booster.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:22 am I hope everyone here has gotten latest booster.
I was just going to say that. Especially, AB's family.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:21 amDoesn't seem like any spread amongst employees in the past six months, and lots of people reaching out saying they tested positive.
?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:49 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:22 am I hope everyone here has gotten latest booster.
I was just going to say that. Especially, AB's family.
Well. No. There was talk of our on site medical center getting them, but I guess since they're still free they can't get on the list. So I have not boosted up yet. And actually, even my oldest is in town for the first time in months and now this happens. Wife feels fine still. Two of the people that were sick tested negative and the other stayed home today. But yes, I need to boost up.