NCAA FB 2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: NCAA FB 2023

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:26 pm You're not going to convince a Michigan fan that Michigan ever did anything wrong
Absolutely not true. I have said multiple times they should be punished for this. I don't even mind if they suspend Harbaugh AFTER AN INVESTIGATION.

I kind of figured I'd get this at some point, but I've been pretty consistent on that.

It's the hypocrisy in all of this. And it's who is very likely behind it. Stealing signs and sharing them with another team... Everyone's totally cool with that? Got it.

And, rass, again.. Been pretty consistent, Stalions is/was a fucking moron. So, yeah, fine... MI sucks at cheating? You win?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I think I win when you admit not just that everyone else is as dirty as UM, but that UM is as dirty as everyone else.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is it possible Michigan found out everyone else was cheating and did this, very blatantly, to prove a point? And they probably didn't even use what they "learned" since he wasn't really trying to cheat anyway?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:52 pm I think I win when you admit not just that everyone else is as dirty as UM, but that UM is as dirty as everyone else.
Yeah, no that's not gonna happen based off of a cheeseburger incident and this nutter doing stuff to advance his career that has marginal advantage (per neutral coaches and the NCAA's own proposal to scrap the rule in the first place 2 years ago.)

ETA - I also don't really care about that stuff that much anymore... Like, at all... With NIL and looser transfer rules, players are on the right track to make this a semi-pro league. All the "doing it the right way" is kind of moot at this point.. Vestige of the past .
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:26 pm You're not going to convince a Michigan fan that Michigan ever did anything wrong
Nah. Just some guy going rogue!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New record set as Iowa-Rutgers total is now 28.5.

(This one I think might go over. I’m going to parlay Rutgers and the over.)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I've reached the point where I'm still amused by Stalions-related reporting from outlets like Defector (dammit Jeff!) but I'm also starting to feel bad for the dude and think we might be tipping towards piling on. He was a superfan who scrapped his way into a dream job and now it's all gone a good chunk of the country is laughing at him. Hopefully, this gets back where it belongs and we can all mock Harbaugh. Maybe even bring his brother into it somehow?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Go check your schadenfreude levels, they seem a little low.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I waffle between being absolutely livid with the guy and feeling really really bad for him. He's clearly got issues. Dude was running a wonky vacuum repair "shop," sleeping out of his car so he could AirBnB his house, volunteering with no pay with the program for 5 years and traveling to away games on his own dime.

Oh, and he wrote a 600(!!) page manifesto on how he would "improve" the program if he got put in charge of things. Which is what he was aiming for. Is it possible this guy was trying to impress ppl by being the best sign stealer, but not let anyone know his methods? Ya think? When people scoff at the rogue actor idea, I wonder if they've heard anything about his whacky ass background.

Ah, another thing that came out about him: He set up an LLC in Wyoming called Courm and Stalions LLC (or something like that.) When asked, Blake Corum was all "Da Fuck??" and has a lawyer looking into it. The lawyers on here will know, that ain't legal...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:36 am Go check your schadenfreude levels, they seem a little low.
But at some point it just seems like punching down, right?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:37 am I've reached the point where I'm still amused by Stalions-related reporting from outlets like Defector (dammit Jeff!) but I'm also starting to feel bad for the dude
On the other hand, from that Defector piece...I'm still laughing

I’m with him. Vacuums aren’t really my thing either. That’s why my porch is filled with hundreds of brooms, ready to be refurbished and sold online. Maybe Blake Corum and I can start a little business together.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:49 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:36 am Go check your schadenfreude levels, they seem a little low.
Probably. I have kinda stopped going down this particular rabbit hole.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:01 am
Which makes me wonder WHAT DOES BILLY NAPIER HAVE TO HIDE?!?!?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:10 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:01 am
Which makes me wonder WHAT DOES BILLY NAPIER HAVE TO HIDE?!?!?
He's hiding game management skills.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

IF Billy can keep the 2024 crootin' class together, both to signing day, and after, look out for the Gators in 2025. Next year is another brutal schedule but this class plus a year of experience should be lights out in two years.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its a really tough call because you have to project what kind of guy he is 10 years from now if this all worked.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The contents of the letter, first reported by Yahoo Sports and later confirmed to ESPN, also suggested that the Big Ten should be cautious about the precedent it sets in this case because Michigan believes in-person scouting and other collusion to steal signals is more prevalent than previously known.

The letter was crafted with input from the university's Board of Regents, general counsel's office and outside counsel Williams & Connolly, a high-priced national firm based in Washington, D.C.

"We're not bringing a knife to a gun fight," a source told ESPN on Wednesday night.

In addition, Petitti is facing pressure from 11 Michigan lawmakers, who penned a letter to the commissioner on Wednesday, urging him to act prudently and refrain from making any premature measures against the state university.

I really love that first paragraph. Listen, you better be real careful about punishing people who break the rules because some other people might have too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The more concerning precedent would be issuing penalties before an actual investigation.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:22 am The contents of the letter, first reported by Yahoo Sports and later confirmed to ESPN, also suggested that the Big Ten should be cautious about the precedent it sets in this case because Michigan believes in-person scouting and other collusion to steal signals is more prevalent than previously known.

The letter was crafted with input from the university's Board of Regents, general counsel's office and outside counsel Williams & Connolly, a high-priced national firm based in Washington, D.C.

"We're not bringing a knife to a gun fight," a source told ESPN on Wednesday night.

In addition, Petitti is facing pressure from 11 Michigan lawmakers, who penned a letter to the commissioner on Wednesday, urging him to act prudently and refrain from making any premature measures against the state university.

I really love that first paragraph. Listen, you better be real careful about punishing people who break the rules because some other people might have too.
This is the most Big Ten thing ever...the conference has been so full of it since it hired Jim Delaney and the days of the "Legends" and "Leaders" divisions.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Iowa-Rutgers over/under is 28.
Canadian International
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:28 pm Iowa-Rutgers over/under is 28.
I found a book that had 27.5 at -115 and took the over.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

See, I would assume that the lawyer is also the person who did the blog post. So it’s not stealing that way.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Everyone knows there are no lawyers on MGoBlog. /orange
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm still trying to figure out how Penn State's offense is capable of scoring the roughly 20 points or so that they would need to beat Michigan (in a best case scenario where the PSU defense holds Michigan below 20). Not sure Michigan needed the additional chip on their shoulder but wouldn't be surprised if Penn State gets absolutely nuked liked the 1997 game.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:38 pm I'm still trying to figure out how Penn State's offense is capable of scoring the roughly 20 points or so that they would need to beat Michigan (in a best case scenario where the PSU defense holds Michigan below 20). Not sure Michigan needed the additional chip on their shoulder but wouldn't be surprised if Penn State gets absolutely nuked liked the 1997 game.
I hope so, because even though sign stealing is a egregious sin, it still will never be as bad as raping boys and young men in the showers.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:39 pm
brian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:38 pm I'm still trying to figure out how Penn State's offense is capable of scoring the roughly 20 points or so that they would need to beat Michigan (in a best case scenario where the PSU defense holds Michigan below 20). Not sure Michigan needed the additional chip on their shoulder but wouldn't be surprised if Penn State gets absolutely nuked liked the 1997 game.
I hope so, because even though sign stealing is a egregious sin, it still will never be as bad as raping boys and young men in the showers.
Somewhere on a Penn State Message board, the converse is being said.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Won't someone think of the court clerks who will have to work late this holiday weekend?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wish Vegas posted odds on whether Michigan gets the injunction/restraining order they’re filing right now.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Michigan is reportedly filing its request for a TRO in Washtenaw County Circuit Court (the other option would have been in federal court). Should have the home field advantage.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Some interesting stuff here.
Tony Petitti has no idea how badly he just botched his job, but here is a hint: In a meeting last week, Michigan’s regents discussed possibly leaving the Big Ten if Petitti suspended coach Jim Harbaugh without what the school considered due process, a person familiar with those discussions told Sports Illustrated.
Gonna be hilarious if this thing ends with Michigan joining the SEC.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s a rare thing when someone self-immolates themself this quickly into a big job.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Sort of like how Trump used to say, "Many people are saying..."

It's innuendo without sources.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:13 pm Sort of like how Trump used to say, "Many people are saying..."

I don't think letting himself getting bullied into a decision (any decision) is going to set him up for a lot respect long-term amongst the member schools. And making an enemy of Michigan isn't going to help either. Bet a C note he's out of the job by Nov 11, 2026.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:29 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:13 pm Sort of like how Trump used to say, "Many people are saying..."

I don't think letting himself getting bullied into a decision (any decision) is going to set him up for a lot respect long-term amongst the member schools. And making an enemy of Michigan isn't going to help either. Bet a C note he's out of the job by Nov 11, 2026.
But the tweet is still innuendo.

And if the Big Ten wants to drum him out of his job, then I'm sure they'll do it as soon as they can reconvene to vote on it. But so long as its within his discretion to suspend a coach of a team whose employee was caught videotaping other teams, I don't see the big deal. The fact Harbaugh can plead ignorant is irrelevant, because if he was caught up in it from this fall to the Obama administration, he'd be on the commissioner's exempt list, which would force Michigan to think about maybe hiring a new coach. Or, they could move to the SEC where they're a bit looser with the rules?

Honestly I've no idea. But this is hilarious.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

They're not getting him out of this job for this. They want this.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:22 pm They're not getting him out of this job for this. They want this.
Unless the next time he bends the rules to fuck over a different school.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:26 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:22 pm They're not getting him out of this job for this. They want this.
He's done this in the service of them.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:53 pm
brian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:26 pm
He's done this in the service of them.
Breaking the rules is good to punish breaking the rules is an interesting take.