Thursday Music Discussion - Bands whose catalog you need to revisit

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Thursday Music Discussion - Bands whose catalog you need to revisit

Post by brian »

The title hopefully says it all but whose entire catalog do you need to give a critical re-listen to for any number of reasons.

Mine is Radiohead because for whatever reason I’ve missed a couple of their albums completely an a couple others I apparently didn’t listen to well enough because I missed some songs I ended up liking on a re-listen.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Thursday Music Discussion - Bands whose catalog you need to revisit

Post by govmentchedda »

In Rainbows is my favorite Radiohead album. Not sure where you left off, but it's great from start to finish.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

De La Soul. It came to streaming in March. To me, De La is the apex act of Native Tongues. I feel strongly about this. Posdnous is significantly undervalued as a rapper. He’s in my personal sentimental Mr. Rushmore.

Listening to Dinninit at 17:03 on a Thursday and am proud of the life choices I’ve made to arrive at this juncture.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:00 amThe title hopefully says it all but whose entire catalog do you need to give a critical re-listen to for any number of reasons.
I think I mentioned we did that at home with classic artists we'd never really listened to fully. Bowie became a staple, Neil Young I appreciate more, still don't get Dylan ... can't remember others right now, but as a concept I like doing this and would do it as a group or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:08 pm
brian wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:00 amThe title hopefully says it all but whose entire catalog do you need to give a critical re-listen to for any number of reasons.
I think I mentioned we did that at home with classic artists we'd never really listened to fully. Bowie became a staple, Neil Young I appreciate more, still don't get Dylan ... can't remember others right now, but as a concept I like doing this and would do it as a group or something.
I love that idea. Like a book club for music! I’m trying to stretch my music sphere with Spotify, but I freeze up and can never think of what to listen to. Having infinite choices makes me skip music and go back to a podcast instead.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

In.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I did not need to revisit and nor is it Thursday, but a friend inspired me to do a chronological relisten to all of U2's albums. I just finished Zooropa and I'm halfway through Pop...and I like Pop much better now. There is no song as great as Stay on Pop, but it's just a more consistent album with more quality songs. Maybe Zooropa's more experimental tracks and their side projects along with the over-selling of the Pop tour just added up to the public saying, "ok, U2, we've had enough."

Also, JT and Achtung have aged well. I could listen to Unforgettable Fire over and over and over. Rattle and Hum could have been a great album if not attached to a film and they removed the live tracks and focused on new releases. On to the 21st century...
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I do this on Spotify a lot. I’ll pick an artist or band and listen to their albums through in order, usually at least two times for each album. I also read the Wikipedia pages for the band and each album as I go through, paying particular attention to who wrote and played each song.

I actually just did this with Radiohead a few weeks ago.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Been listening to a lot of The Undertones recently.

Power pop band from Northern Ireland from the late 70s/early 80s. Their last couple of albums are quite lovely.
Canadian International
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm Been listening to a lot of The Undertones recently.

Power pop band from Northern Ireland from the late 70s/early 80s. Their last couple of albums are quite lovely.
Love those guys. Teenage Kicks (John Peel’s all-time favorite song), Get over you, My perfect cousin…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:33 pm
Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:14 pm Been listening to a lot of The Undertones recently.

Love those guys. Teenage Kicks (John Peel’s all-time favorite song), Get over you, My perfect cousin…
Julie Ocean!

When I was 15, I saw them open for the Clash in a small theatre in Toronto. A life-changing night!
Canadian International
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I keep saying to myself I need to revisit Jason Isbell's post-DBT work, but man alive he may be talented, but I can never get into his music. It's like 'hookless.'

It's on me I guess.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:08 pm
Max and I are working through the 1001 Albums You Need To Hear list. There are more than a few things I need to listen to more, a few favourites, more than a few one-song artists that you've heard the song 1001 times and don't need to listen to the whole thing (Too-Rye-Ay has 9 lesser versions of C'mon Eileen for instance,) then there's crap you hated when it came out, and some inspirational albums that guided a genre you don't like. It does need WAAAAY more jazz, but it's shown me the light on some good stuff (and reiterated how much I hate Bjork and Kate Bush.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

As for the idea, I think we need an active Swamper draft lottery and then we get to pick an artist/album for the Swamp. Then we have threads about the artists and how we feel about particular albums.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Rehab. Sitting in a bar quality drankin tune
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I am really fascinated by Lenny and the Squigtones.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:35 pm I am really fascinated by Lenny and the Squigtones.
I bet their cover of Lionel Richie's "Hello" is great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:35 pm I am really fascinated by Lenny and the Squigtones.
I just looked them up on YouTube and there are a surprising number of songs on there. As great as I remembered. Actually, better than that.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Night After Night slaps.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I thought that was a Tina Turner song?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.