Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by Johnnie »

Grew up with all veggies just being steamed so I hated them. And my parents cooked steak by just throwing the crappiest cuts in the broiler.

I had no idea both could be good until I left home and had them cooked by other people.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:56 pm
blundercrush wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:50 am If people cooked steak and chicken as badly as they cook broccoli and brusselsprouts, we'd be vegetarian. Had this thought this morning, felt like the only right place to put it.

(learning how search and posting works, I'm new here.)
My dad cooked steak worse than he cooked vegetables so neither my brother or I cared for it until we were adults.
Did he just overcook it?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:17 am Grew up with all veggies just being steamed so I hated them. And my parents cooked steak by just throwing the crappiest cuts in the broiler.

I had no idea both could be good until I left home and had them cooked by other people.
I can relate to this.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:04 am
mister d wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 12:56 pm
blundercrush wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:50 am If people cooked steak and chicken as badly as they cook broccoli and brusselsprouts, we'd be vegetarian. Had this thought this morning, felt like the only right place to put it.

(learning how search and posting works, I'm new here.)
My dad cooked steak worse than he cooked vegetables so neither my brother or I cared for it until we were adults.
Did he just overcook it?
We never ate steak at home growing up. Chopped steak and beef tips and all that, sure, but I didn't have steak until the weekend if we went to Western Sizzlin'. Even there I only got the steak tips. Outback was probably my first experience with going out to get a steak. I used to always get prime rib, but learned the ways of the steak as I grew.

Veggies at my house were great though. Southern cooking. Bacon fat in the old crisco can. Only regret is I didn't eat more of them and sooner.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:04 amDid he just overcook it?
And then some. He's fine now but I should go back and find out how much was "never had good steak" versus food safety fears versus its nice to sit outside with the grill and a beer and sometimes stuff goes over if it doesn't go on late.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

When we were in Italy, one night we decided we really needed to get some vegetables in the mix, so we ordered a side of broccolini. And it was absolutely HAMMERED...complete mush. Didn't make that mistake again.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to cook up some trout? We are having a "pre-Thanksgiving" with the GF's family, and he's acquired some trout and is hoping I'll do the cooking. I'm thinking of doing them stuffed with with herbs and lemon, and then pan roasting them.

Any other ideas?
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

side o' broccolini
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm doing a sailing race this weekend (https://roundthecounty.com/) where we leave from Anacortes, WA and sail through the San Juans to Roche Harbor, WA on Saturday, then back the next day. Our crew has rented an AirBnB for Saturday night, and I volunteered to cook dinner for the crew.

Before I decided on what to make, I put out the "any food allergies/sensitivities?" question to everyone, and only got a "no shellfish" from one person. So I've made the killer "sunday gravy" (using this recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/ragu-napole ... age-recipe), and have it all ready to go.

And of course, this morning someone chimes in on an email thread about lunch, saying "no pork". To be fair, its someone's wife, who wasn't on the original email thread, but now I'm going to have to scramble to make a second sauce for her.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If I told my mom your story, she’s be ready to fly to SeaTac with the wooden spoon at the ready.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:38 pm If I told my mom your story, she’s be ready to fly to SeaTac with the wooden spoon at the ready.
Reminds me of the stories DiS used to tell back in his single days.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:38 pm If I told my mom your story, she’s be ready to fly to SeaTac with the wooden spoon at the ready.
She can drive to Central Jersey if she is looking for mouths to feed. I'll trade her a giant pile of wood.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:55 pm
She can drive to Central Jersey if she is looking for mouths to feed. I'll trade her a giant pile of wood.
Playing with fire here.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:06 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:55 pm
Playing with fire here.
I rephrased what I originally wrote out of respect to Mamma LJam.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m going to the Food Market tonight. Tell me what you’d get.

If you’re ever in Baltimore or Columbia, MD, excellent choice.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I’d order either the beef short ribs or the duck breast. But a lot of stuff there sounds really good so you probably can’t go wrong.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's easier to tell you what I wouldn't eat. The scamburger sliders and charred pineapple. Done well, everything else looks delicious.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Way too many good options. I’d end up hoping to split a lot of the apps and smaller plates.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

mister d wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:53 pm Way too many good options. I’d end up hoping to split a lot of the apps and smaller plates.
This was the route we chose. 4 of us so we ended up w/ bacon bao buns (amazing…soft steamed rolls, the crispy veggies and the hot sweet salty bacon), mozzarella sticks (probably a foot long each), the autumn risotto (delicious) and the Brussels sprouts (perfectly cooked and a huge order).

Then we went w the wings, the cheesy garlicky shrimp, the squash and the beet bean tostada. Blondie for dessert.
I’ll be back soon. I’m working my way through the menu. When I was there a few weeks ago I tried the boar schnitzel and really liked it. I want to try the venison stew next.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

To rinse or not the cooked pasta?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Only time I ever rinse is if I'm doing something w/ chilled noodles.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:27 pm To rinse or not the cooked pasta?
I've never even considered rinsing, is that a thing?
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

not
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The only time I've done that is when I fucked up and overcooked the pasta. It can somewhat save things, but it's a Hail Mary in that department.

(So, answer: Not, unless you are breaking the glass in an emergency.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

What would be the reason you would do that? If it's because it sticks together, that means you are using too small a pot. Always cook pasta in a larger pot than you think because it gives them a chance to swirl around.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

never.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:38 am What would be the reason you would do that?
To remove the starchy film?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:07 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:38 am What would be the reason you would do that?
To remove the starchy film?
The starchy film is what the sauce/gravy sticks to. That’s also why you shouldn’t oil your pasta.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I have a ton of work to do, which is why I'm here posting the menu for where I'm eating tonight. Select your meal please. App, entree, dessert or any combo. I know I've been here once, but I don't remember what I ate.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I thought the rule was: pasta no, pasta salad yes.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

bfj wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:21 pm I have a ton of work to do, which is why I'm here posting the menu for where I'm eating tonight. Select your meal please. App, entree, dessert or any combo. I know I've been here once, but I don't remember what I ate.
I'm going Brussel Sprouts, Steak Frites, and a Heavy Seas (I'm not a big fish/seafood guy)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that's how I do it. Like when I try to fake the momofuku spicy chilled noodles or any kind of cold salad, I rinse to avoid sucking up the chili oil / mayo.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:23 pm
bfj wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:21 pm I have a ton of work to do, which is why I'm here posting the menu for where I'm eating tonight. Select your meal please. App, entree, dessert or any combo. I know I've been here once, but I don't remember what I ate.
I'm going Brussel Sprouts, Steak Frites, and a Heavy Seas (I'm not a big fish/seafood guy)
No dessert?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

bfj wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:41 pm
No dessert?
This is right outside
https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

This is another one where the apps look too good to commit to a single meal, and to make up for Rush's lack of seafood ...

- Blackened Rare Tuna (the sides sold me (and now force you to click to see what they were))
I'd ask the server to pick two of the following three unless they do the whole "I don't eat _______" thing
- Crispy Duck Wontons
- Lobster Nuggets
- Fried Green Tomatoes & Crab

Fig & Rye (this might be weird but I absolutely love every flavor in it so I'm down)
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

going all apps here:

french onion soup
tuna tartare (although that rare ahi tuna sounds killer)
roasted cauliflower

with a Tokyo Sunset to drink

...goddamn that sounds great, i can be there by 8....
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:49 pm
No dessert?
This is right outside
https://www.baltimoresun.com/maryland/b ... story.html
I'm a rarity in Baltimore, I don't eat snowballs. Chewing on ice of any kind gives me horrible chills and hurts my teeth. Always has. My wife loves their pina colada snowball with marshmallow though.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just had a Thanksgiving company meal. (Ppl work from home and academy is off next week) and seafood stuffing is unnecessary and gross. Just make the normal shit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

This is my order too, except I'd go with whatever lager or red wine strikes my fancy in the moment.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

No dessert?
Heath Bar Crunch bread pudding.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”