I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Thanksgiving 2022

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:06 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:57 pm
rass wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:15 pm 3951EE35-37A9-4D55-83C1-7804F11500CE.jpeg
What beer is that! I see Kane, but dont recognize the color.
Hiding from rush
[+] spoiler
A pumpkin chai latte IPA
I’m surprised, Kane makes great beer, but rarely anything creative or out of the ordinary.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m just thankful that my Thanksgiving is over. I really can’t stand my sister and her family. Off to the beach w my wife and youngest tomorrow. Need some hours staring at the ocean to calm my brain.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I’ll be on the gulf tomorrow too. Don’t have the stress you have at the moment but also looking forward to just chilling out.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:22 pm I’m just thankful that my Thanksgiving is over. I really can’t stand my sister and her family. Off to the beach w my wife and youngest tomorrow. Need some hours staring at the ocean to calm my brain.
Don't go again, man. Don't do that to yourself. Life's too short to spend what should be joyous occasions in passive-aggressive tug-of-wars all day. Make your own family. Sharing genes isn't a commitment. You don't owe her anything.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:01 pm
bfj wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:22 pm I’m just thankful that my Thanksgiving is over. I really can’t stand my sister and her family. Off to the beach w my wife and youngest tomorrow. Need some hours staring at the ocean to calm my brain.
Don't go again, man. Don't do that to yourself. Life's too short to spend what should be joyous occasions in passive-aggressive tug-of-wars all day. Make your own family. Sharing genes isn't a commitment. You don't owe her anything.
I can’t do that to my mom. I want to be with my mom on the holidays and she wants all of us together. I owe my mom that. When she’s (mom) gone I can cut off contact w my sister, and I will.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Always great when, to start the festivities, you have to sit your dad down mantaman to ask him to apologize to your wife for making a demeaning text comment over politics the week of Thanksgiving. Fortunately he did and the rest of holiday proceeded with less than usual conflict and recrimination. And my brother and his wife actually helped with the clean up this year!

And I didn’t have to use my AK… happy thanksgiving day +1. Now on to watch England get their first win ever against the USMNT in WC play.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:25 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:32 pm We are hosting our daughter and her boyfriend, wife’s cousin’s daughter and her wife, the disapproving cousin/mother, my wife’s very religious brother, and my wife’s sister who never stops talking.

What could go wrong? I’ll be the drunk one watching football.
The family drama is already starting a bit. My wife’s cousin, who lives 45 minutes from us, is going on a “photo safari” vacation in Africa in early December. She is trying to offset jet lag by pre-adjusting her sleep schedule, so she said she has to leave our home by 3:00 to get to bed early. So, to accommodate her, we are planning to eat at 1:00, if everything is on schedule (fine with me!) But, going on past experience, odds are long on us meeting that schedule.

Nope.

We have a pretty set deal at my crib. Football (and this year World Cup) starts at noon. Fire pit if it's nice fires up around 1, which is when we start popping beers. Frying of the second turkey begins around 3:30. Table is set in around the 2:30-3:00 range. Other cooking is happening/finishing in the 3:30-4:15 range. Turkey is carved around 4:30 and people should start plating themselves (I put my foot down and told ppl to plate this year. Some folks like to act like this is a restaurant... My wife and I are exhausted by the time things are done... People can get their own damn food.)

We are done eating by around 6 or so, turn the sound back on the TV to catch the end of the Cowboys game. Wine, libations, dessert... People start to leave and the Fab 4 watches something silly. This year it was the Weird Al movie... which was delightfully fun.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I don’t think I’ve ever had a plate made for me when I was old enough to make my own.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:18 am I don’t think I’ve ever had a plate made for me when I was old enough to make my own.
Well, to clarify, it was a situation where The Olds would kind of get served, but the rest of us would "pass" the food. But there is a certain BIL and his wife, who are lovely people (not sarcastic) but he in particular will sit on his ass and let people serve him (and she goes along.) So, I get serving Nana and Papa, but I put an end to those two just sitting around while my wife and I served the table. It's impossible to pass some of the dishes -- too hot, platter too large, etc.

This year, I carved the turkey and told everyone to come get it and it turned into a combo buffet and passing things once people had settled.

Like God intended.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Bfj, and Cerrano, I’m sorry you guys had to deal with drama bullshit.

Fortunately for me, the drama I was expecting at our home did not materialize. Everybody pitched in and got along, nobody made demands, and the cousin graciously thanked everyone for moving up the schedule. And, the food was great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:21 am
Jerloma wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:01 pm
I can’t do that to my mom. I want to be with my mom on the holidays and she wants all of us together. I owe my mom that. When she’s (mom) gone I can cut off contact w my sister, and I will.
Ah! Orphan, here. That makes sense because it's exactly what I did.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

most annoying thing this year for thanksgiving... was my brother and long time gf (>10yrs, i lost count) telling us two nights before they are now pescatarian. well, right behind my dad telling me i wasn't doing the turkey but could i do stuffing and apps

so i made oyster stuffing (and sausage stuffing, cause sausage).. and a salmon and crab dip. but they didn't eat the turkey. and delayed all the proceedings by nearly an hour cause they wanted to cook thier special veggie dish fresh.

i'm blessed, i know. no familial discourse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:47 am We are hosting again, usual crowd. Inlaws, Sister-in-Law and her clan of 5, and her inlaws. My father selfishly decided this weeked to go into the hospital with a gall stone and he is getting his gall bladder removed tomorrow. Looks like I need to add my mother's sweet potato pie to my to-do list, and my FiL won't be getting his apple cider. Thanks Dad!
This one got awkward in a hurry. My Sister-in-law set off my wife a few days before. S-i-L is incredibly entitled and stresses the fuck out over everything. She doesn't work, has a housekeeper and lives in a $2 million dollar 6,000 sq. ft. house, but she doesn't have room to host and is too busy. In the 10+ years we've hosted, she has never once brought anything. Everyone else cooks a side dish or three, or my inlaws buy a lot of things like soda, pickles, olive etc... When my wife's great aunt was still alive, I would have to drive out to Brooklyn to pick her up while my turkey was in the oven, then drive her home afterwards (F-i-L was struggling behind the wheel at the time and gave up driving years ago). That was a minimum 60 minutes each way, and once took over 2 hours due to traffic. My M-i-L would defend the S-i-L saying we didn't understand what it was like because she had a baby. Then when we had a baby, we didn't understand how difficult it was for her with 2 babies. When we had a second, I don't remember the excuse...

Anyways, S-i-L asked if she could bring anything. My wife told her that since my parents usually bring a dessert pie and sweet potato pie side dish, she could bring those. She texted saying she will buy a pie and asked her M-i-L to make a sweet potato dish, which made it sound like we were asking her M-i-L to cook a third dish, as she was already cooking two. She couldn't make or buy one dish, too busy. We told people to arrive at 1:00. S-i-L's inlaws arrive early, my inlaws arrive at 1:00, S-i-L sends a text at 1:30 saying they are sorry, but the 5 of them can't make it. Too busy. Awkward talking to her in-laws and being like, "well, you son and grandkids aren't coming, no idea why." At 2:00, she texted saying her kids were on the way. At 2:15 she pulled into the driveway, dropped off 2 kids and left. 5 minutes later their college freshman daughter pulled up in a separate car. At 3:00 she said she might be able to stop by. Meanwhile we were holding off on eating. Turkey was done and out, and her in-laws were getting antsy, as they have a 90 minute drive and don't like to drive at night. My daughter likes to arrange a seating chart and put name tags on the table. When the younger kids got there (16 and 11), they looked at the table and said, "mom and dad shouldn't sit next to each other." My wife made a change, and they said, "she can't sit next to [oldest daughter] either." My wife switched her next to my M-i-L who screamed "I'm not sitting next to her!" I felt so bad for the kids, and my kids were looking shocked and confused. I'm not even sure when they arrived, but my B-i-L showed up, and I believe he came before my S-i-L decided to grace us were her presence. It was so fucking weird. B-i-L disappeared halfway through dinner, I didn't know where he went, but we were waiting for him to serve dessert, as his birthday is the same week, so we usually do a birthday cake for him. His parents were ready to leave and I heard them debating whether to wake up their son, he was sleeping on the living room couch. He is a surgeon and works crazy hours, so I'll chalk it up to that. Whole days was fucking bizarre. My S-i-L didn't say a single word to me the entire time. We were all watching football until the end of the Giant's game and I didn't even realize she was in the room.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I went to the beach today.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:17 pm I went to the beach today.
Sat and watched the waves roll in for a good 45 minutes today from our balcony. Does the mind good.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

On behalf of everyone reading in order, this was perfect.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:57 pm
On behalf of everyone reading in order, this was perfect.
I can read the room.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Would be easier if we had a like button or something.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Thanksgiving ended up a covid flop but way more relax time. Including my son repeatedly trying to get the leftover pieces of the way to big fresh parsley with a fork when the potatoes were gone. Dad flex.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

first with my family since 2018 thanks to covid and we walked the dogs, went to the dog park bar, watched football, walked the younger dog again, watched football, ate dinner and watched football and was in bed by 9:30. it was glorious and a great reminder of how relatively normal my family is.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:48 pm first with my family since 2018 thanks to covid and we walked the dogs, went to the dog park bar, watched football, walked the younger dog again, watched football, ate dinner and watched football and was in bed by 9:30. it was glorious and a great reminder of how relatively normal my family is.
Dog park bar?

There is a dog bar down at the shore but it’s far enough away to not be convenient.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

There's one very close to where we live, but my doggo had turned into a pretty unsocial creature at the end.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

We have a Bark Social down the hill from us here in Canton. If I were single and about 20 years younger I'd be all over that place with my dog.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:56 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:48 pm first with my family since 2018 thanks to covid and we walked the dogs, went to the dog park bar, watched football, walked the younger dog again, watched football, ate dinner and watched football and was in bed by 9:30. it was glorious and a great reminder of how relatively normal my family is.
Dog park bar?

There is a dog bar down at the shore but it’s far enough away to not be convenient.
It's great. I think we pay something like $275 a year for both dogs and they have people staffing the park to break up any conflicts and, uh, physical contact and do any cleanup -- though I always make sure to pick up. they have bar food/brunch and beer and cocktails and coffee. drinks are pretty good too. the cafe amaro/bourbon cocktail I had Thursday morning was great. and with a heated tent now on the patio, the dogs can run in and out as they please and we can stay warm
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:56 pm There is a dog bar down at the shore but it’s far enough away to not be convenient.
Wonder?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:29 pm
rass wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:56 pm There is a dog bar down at the shore but it’s far enough away to not be convenient.
Wonder?
Yes. Haven't been there with a dog (yet) but have sat there watching other people's dogs play.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We weren't allowed into the dog area (to sit and watch dogs play) over the summer because we didn't have a dog with us.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:38 am We weren't allowed into the dog area (to sit and watch dogs play) over the summer because we didn't have a dog with us.
Hm. We sat at the outdoor bar, looking into the doggie area. We'll almost certainly try it out with the new pup next year. He's currently very dog friendly and does good in the car.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:05 am
mister d wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:38 am We weren't allowed into the dog area (to sit and watch dogs play) over the summer because we didn't have a dog with us.
Hm. We sat at the outdoor bar, looking into the doggie area. We'll almost certainly try it out with the new pup next year. He's currently very dog friendly and does good in the car.
*Rass's new deaf dog, furiously typing up briefs for the ACLU and Southern Poverty Law Center during drives."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Geez, Sybian. It sounds like your sister-in-law sucks.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In anticipation of the 2023 Thanksgiving, here's a video with one way to avoid family tension ...

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Back out to PA. Sort of wish we were going to my parents place in DE instead because I’m intrigued by my 30th HS reunion.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:53 pm Back out to PA. Sort of wish we were going to my parents place in DE instead because I’m intrigued by my 30th HS reunion.
When's the reunion festivities?
Jerloma
The Dude

Re: Thanksgiving 2022/2023

Post by Jerloma »

I've been tasked by my sister for making stuffing and stuffed mushrooms, which is weird because I'm the mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts guy. I've actually never made stuffing in my life, but the way that's done is to just use the same stuffing for the mushrooms, right?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And put mushrooms in the stuffing.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:36 pm I've been tasked by my sister for making stuffing and stuffed mushrooms, which is weird because I'm the mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts guy. I've actually never made stuffing in my life, but the way that's done is to just use the same stuffing for the mushrooms, right?
Make an oyster stuffing in addition to the standard stuffing. Use the innards to grease both. You will be a hero.
Noli Timere Messorem
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

Hosting again
everyone but my brother and his long time gf staying here, they're flying in from cali and visiting friends in md, dc and ny, think they have a hotel nearby.. (last time they came 2 yrs ago for the holiday, they brought their own coffee and their own mugs)-- mil in the guest room, parents in 17 yo room (i need to do a cleaning this weekend after he finsishes), 17 yo will stay in basement along with 15 yo and 11 yo cousins.. no heat, unfinished.. but lots of rugs, couches, xbox, pool table.. told my sister to bring sleeping bags i'll throw in the heaters..sister and 22yo daughter staying in my office/library in blow up..bil not coming, he's a social worker who works all holidays for the extra pay (and he likes helping people at this time) and we hardly ever see him on txgiving or xmas for the dinners, shows up late...wife grew up only child.. immediate family in other side of the world.. lots of people here for a few days.. will be interesting.. she may get stressed but its eitehr they call come or we travel which she didn't want to do...
ah.. family!
all i've done so far is order a turkey -working on menu and who is bringing what. liquor run this weekend.. the two toddlers will make it interesting
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

elflaco2 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:28 am ...parents in 17 yo room (i need to do a cleaning this weekend after he finsishes)...
make sure you knock first