(The End of) Journalism Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Re: (The End of) Journalism Thread

Post by MaxWebster »

this is actually really cool. do you have the inaugural issue (Eddie Mathews?)

y i stopped subscribing probably around ~94 or so.

honestly was happy to read about this last night as one of my friends in our high school email thread has been sending SI links for years and nobody ever clicks on them anymore because they're shit - not just the articles but if you do mistakenly open it it's a flood of ads and popups. i'd rather he link us to xhamster, seems more safe.
sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:23 pm My father has been a subscriber my entire life and still is one now. In fact, he was a charter subscriber and I have almost every issue for the first year of SI.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean, at one point I had subs to both ESPN and SI and read both cover to cover (pretty much.) I don't recall when that stopped... somewhere in the 90s.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I totally forgot ESPN had a print magazine. They started that at the exact wrong time. I wonder how much money that lost in all.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:30 pm I actually had to Google to see if they still put out a print magazine. They do, but it's monthly now. I remember when they laid off most of their writers a few years ago. I wonder who's left to write for the mag. Anyone here still subscribe?
I had a subscription for years...I always got it as a Christmas present from my parents. First issue I got was the Pete Rose "Sportsman Of The Year" issue (boy, did that not age well).

I think I finally let it lapse around 2004 or 2005. Did get SI For Kids for my daughters when they were younger.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:49 am
Shirley wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:30 pm I actually had to Google to see if they still put out a print magazine. They do, but it's monthly now. I remember when they laid off most of their writers a few years ago. I wonder who's left to write for the mag. Anyone here still subscribe?
I had a subscription for years...I always got it as a Christmas present from my parents. First issue I got was the Pete Rose "Sportsman Of The Year" issue (boy, did that not age well).

I think I finally let it lapse around 2004 or 2005. Did get SI For Kids for my daughters when they were younger.
Totally forgot, my son had an SI for Kids subscription for a couple years, he may have gotten SI for a year or two.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

weird/uncomfortable similarity to Ovechkin in this photo.
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:49 am

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This was my first issue. I remembered being so freaked out by the Flo Hyman story.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:49 am this is actually really cool. do you have the inaugural issue (Eddie Mathews?)

honestly was happy to read about this last night as one of my friends in our high school email thread has been sending SI links for years and nobody ever clicks on them anymore because they're shit - not just the articles but if you do mistakenly open it it's a flood of ads and popups. i'd rather he link us to xhamster, seems more safe.
sancarlos wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:23 pm My father has been a subscriber my entire life and still is one now. In fact, he was a charter subscriber and I have almost every issue for the first year of SI.
Yes I have the very first issue. August something , 1954. It’s not in great shape but I’ve read it’s worth some money. Not so much because it’s the first issue, but because it includes three pages of uncut baseball cards.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:04 pmYes I have the very first issue. August something , 1954. It’s not in great shape but I’ve read it’s worth some money. Not so much because it’s the first issue, but because it includes three pages of uncut ...ds.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

still awesome tho. what's up with the cards???

(we have to have a memorabilia thread or 2 don't we...?)
sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:04 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:49 am this is actually really cool. do you have the inaugural issue (Eddie Mathews?)

Yes I have the very first issue. August something , 1954. It’s not in great shape but I’ve read it’s worth some money. Not so much because it’s the first issue, but because it includes three pages of uncut baseball cards.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 am I totally forgot ESPN had a print magazine. They started that at the exact wrong time. I wonder how much money that lost in all.
You think it was more or less than their phone?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:46 pm
brian wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:50 am I totally forgot ESPN had a print magazine. They started that at the exact wrong time. I wonder how much money that lost in all.
You think it was more or less than their phone?
Shoot, SI used to give out phones all the time that looked like footballs.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:49 am I think I finally let it lapse around 2004 or 2005. Did get SI For Kids for my daughters when they were younger.
Trying to think when I stopped getting SI...I remember getting this issue:

So it was sometime after that one in 2004.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I was a subscriber from the time I was 14 (1988) until we moved to CO in 2013/2014. It just became irrelevant to me with the growth of online options. I still like reading things not-on-screens but I just grew out of it...sounds like I was done at just the right time.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:26 pm still awesome tho. what's up with the cards???

(we have to have a memorabilia thread or 2 don't we...?)
sancarlos wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:04 pm

Apparently, card collectors value the issue more than do magazine collectors.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The first swimsuit issue I received...I don't think my parents knew that was a thing.

Used to be published the the week between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:49 pm

Used to be published the the week between the Championship Games and the Super Bowl.
Oh, we were very aware of that date as teenagers in a pre-internet era. The younger guys may not understand how useful that issue was. Victoria’s Secret catalog was the only other material in those days.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:02 am

Oh, we were very aware of that date as teenagers in a pre-internet era. The younger guys may not understand how useful that issue was. Victoria’s Secret catalog was the only other material in those days.
I, too, was very interested in the latest swimwear and lingerie styles of the day and age. Research porpoises of course.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There is no Texas State University Fightin' Armadillos if not for the SI Swimsuit issue.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:40 am There is no Texas State University Fightin' Armadillos if not for the SI Swimsuit issue.
My #1 SI model without question. Wife thinks I'm crazy.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:42 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:40 am There is no Texas State University Fightin' Armadillos if not for the SI Swimsuit issue.
My #1 SI model without question. Wife thinks I'm crazy.
Jen is wrong. KI is a dream.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Macpherson forever
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:48 am Macpherson forever
This is the only correct answer.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This might end up with someone tired of the cynicism.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:02 am

One could get far with the Sears catalog + some imagination.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:59 am This might end up with someone tired of the cynicism.
KI had a bit of a long face but this is just mean.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:02 am Victoria’s Secret catalog was the only other material in those days.
There was no way my Mormon parents were letting a Victoria's Secret catalog in the house. SI was "safe", especially considering they bought the subscription for me.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:44 am
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:02 am Victoria’s Secret catalog was the only other material in those days.
There was no way my Mormon parents were letting a Victoria's Secret catalog in the house. SI was "safe", especially considering they bought the subscription for me.
They didn't preemptively get the swimsuit issue out of the mail before you got home from school?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:02 am
They didn't preemptively get the swimsuit issue out of the mail before you got home from school?
At some point you could opt out of it I think.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

duff wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:02 am
I don't think they knew about the swimsuit issue back in '76, when I first had a subscription. And after that, I guess they didn't think it was that bad. (and it was pretty tame back then).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yes!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

There were always angry, distraught, pearl-clutching letters to the editor after the swimsuit issue. Pretty funny reading.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Meanwhile my parents signed up for a free subscription to Playboy and had it sent to my college house address. Jokes aside, it legit was a good magazine.

Sears catalog seemed to stop arriving while I was pre-brother emailing, but I do remember sneaking peeks at the women's underwear section. My embarrassing source material in those days was Newsweek. My parents had a subscription and kept in the bathroom. I'd leaf through hoping for one advertisement with an attractive woman, or an article on someone remotely attractive. Didn't take much in those days, Angela Merkel in a skirt would have worked in a pinch.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:35 am There were always angry, distraught, pearl-clutching letters to the editor after the swimsuit issue. Pretty funny reading.
If they published a book of those letters, I'd buy it.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

goddammit Syb.... now i have to explain to my wife why i just laughed so hard...
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 am Didn't take much in those days, Angela Merkel in a skirt would have worked in a pinch.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am goddammit Syb.... now i have to explain to my wife why i just laughed so hard...
The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:46 am Didn't take much in those days, Angela Merkel in a skirt would have worked in a pinch.
Just another example of Jewish ingenuity in the face of harsh German conditions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Eaton's (like Sears) Catalogue always had a few nice bra shots
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:53 am
MaxWebster wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:50 am goddammit Syb.... now i have to explain to my wife why i just laughed so hard...
Just another example of Jewish ingenuity in the face of harsh German conditions.
I’ve always thought the highest compliment to a joke writer is laughing at a joke about the Holocaust. Congrats, Rass.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Kathy, Elle, and Paulina were the Big Three for me. When I was in high school, and even my freshman year of college, I decorated my dorm room with cutouts from the swimsuit editions. I can still picture Kathy lying on those yellow flowers.
Totally Kafkaesque