The Swamp's Favorite Christmas Song

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: The Swamp's Favorite Christmas Song

Post by sancarlos »

I like Springsteen's version of "Santa Claus is coming to town", and Dwight Yoakam's version of "Run, run, Rudolph". (It's got a nice ranchera music feel.)

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ryan wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:09 am
rass wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:54 am Getting to the point where Mariah Carey will not only have the last great original Christmas song but will also be the only living artist responsible for a great original Christmas song.

(I like the Kelly Clarkson song but still)
That Undertaker behind you meme but with Taylor Swift
Not all originals, but song writers and artists know they have a shot a big payday if they can find a hit.
https://parade.com/931073/klconniewang/ ... -playlist/

and sure it is the same in other places but once December hits, the radio ratings change from the rest of the year. The Christmas song station dominates (recall the local sports radio guys talking about their "book" and the Christmas ratings impacting bonuses).
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also not sure I am supposed to DJ xmas, but some how Robert Earl Keen slips into the in-law's playlist each year.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Slight tangent: we all agree that How the Grinch Stole Christmas is the preeminent annual Christmas special, right?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Merry Christmas Charlie Brown, I think.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If this includes movies, absolutely not because of Christmas Vacation. If you're separating movies from specials, also absolutely not because of A Charlie Brown Christmas.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck yeah, Rass. Jersey Strong.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Kick rocks you Taylor Ham-eating motherfuckers.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I mean I love the Grinch, but if I'm ranking...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My son said he feels like he missed out as he hasn't seen Die Hard yet. Not sure they have seen any of the other classics, either. They have seen A Christmas Story, Elf and the original Miracle on 34th Street.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:15 pm Slight tangent: we all agree that How the Grinch Stole Christmas is the preeminent annual Christmas special, right?
Animated version. It or Charlie Brown. I also have a soft spot for the Rankin Bros. Rudolph (Hermie wants to be a dentist!) even though Santa is a bit of a jerk in that one.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

It's Rudolph for me, although the Grinch is also great.
Canadian International
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:18 pm My son said he feels like he missed out as he hasn't seen Die Hard yet. Not sure they have seen any of the other classics, either. They have seen A Christmas Story, Elf and the original Miracle on 34th Street.
You've clearly failed as a Christian.

Original Grinch is definitely the top Christmas special, followed by Charlie Brown, then Rudolph.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:52 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:15 pm Slight tangent: we all agree that How the Grinch Stole Christmas is the preeminent annual Christmas special, right?
Animated version. It or Charlie Brown. I also have a soft spot for the Rankin Bros. Rudolph (Hermie wants to be a dentist!) even though Santa is a bit of a jerk in that one.
That's exactly my order. And goes without saying that we're talking about the mid-60s Boris Karloff and Thurl Ravencroft Grinch, as opposed to the Jim Carrey or the Benedict Cumberbatch versions. I also blew my kid's mind that when I broke to them the narrator is the same dude as their mental depiction of Frankenstein.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:24 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:18 pm My son said he feels like he missed out as he hasn't seen Die Hard yet. Not sure they have seen any of the other classics, either. They have seen A Christmas Story, Elf and the original Miracle on 34th Street.

Original Grinch is definitely the top Christmas special, followed by Charlie Brown, then Rudolph.
I liked the original Grinch and watched all the others numerous times as a kid, but they would have been bored by all those classics. Hell, I found the Charlie Brown ones unwatchable after 5 or 6 years old. He is just such a depressing sad sap.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:31 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:24 pm

I liked the original Grinch and watched all the others numerous times as a kid, but they would have been bored by all those classics. Hell, I found the Charlie Brown ones unwatchable after 5 or 6 years old. He is just such a depressing sad sap.
Glad you said that - I didn't want to be accused of being a hater, but I never could stand Charlie Brown. It seemed like every one of his specials was designed to make kids feel like crap.

True Story - when my son was two and a half he had to spend three nights in Sick Kids Hospital here in Toronto. No need for all the details as it all turned out fine. But there was a day and a half where we didn't know what was wrong and there was a possibility of something catastrophic being found.

Anyway - the hospital has closed circuit TV channels full of kids shows. My wife and I were watching a Peanuts show with him in his room. One we'd never seen before. Linus' new friend doesn't feel well and is taken to her doctor. Next thing you know she's in hospital with leukemia. My wife and I yelled and quickly turned to the channel with Thomas the Tank Engine.

To me, that's Peanuts in a nutshell. Grim.
Canadian International
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

How did the kids find out it was leukaemia from "Whawhawhaawhaha?"
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I always assumed the lesson of Charlie Brown is for kids to see how he feels, be empathetic and then try to act accordingly in real life. Charlie ending higher than he spends most of the shows is proof little gestures can help.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:23 pm I always assumed the lesson of Charlie Brown is for kids to see how he feels, be empathetic and then try to act accordingly in real life. Charlie ending higher than he spends most of the shows is proof little gestures can help.
Good grief.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:23 pm I always assumed the lesson of Charlie Brown is for kids to see how he feels, be empathetic and then try to act accordingly in real life. Charlie ending higher than he spends most of the shows is proof little gestures can help.
People are mysteries. Delaware would've been one of the last ones I would've expected to stay this.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have many layers (and was high (and thought it was funny to lean into the presumed perception of me)).
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DJ Evie is filling in on KEXP (www.kexp.org) this morning, and is playing all Christmas music (covers and originals).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Flipping over now. I mostly hate Christmas music but this might be an ok concession to the house speaker.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

“On one hand, Christmas songs are perennial … so you’re kind of you’re set for your song royalties or whatever,” he said. “But if it doesn’t click, you’ve just got this embarrassing thing.”

He went on to speak about some of the playlist’s highlights. Though Talking Heads never created a holiday LP, Byrne did release a solo track titled ‘Fat Man’s Comin’ last year in which he gives an accurate interpretation of Father Christmas himself.

Speaking of writing the track, Byrne said: “Here’s a stranger who’s sneaking, breaking into your house, basically, leaving packages — and dressed in a rather strange outfit. I thought, what if I just write that?”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I feel like this is an underrated one...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »