Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Ryan
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by Ryan »

They're supposed to be annoying! This is like when I say my favorite Office character is Todd Packer and my favorite P&R character is Jamm and my wife rolls her eyes.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Jamm is so great. I think that's why P&R works so well is because there are so many annoying characters who play it hilariously perfect.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Right, but Jamm and Packard are so funny because they are outliers to an extent because they are both so over the top grating. The League is a bunch of outliers trying to out annoy the next guy.

I'm not a fan of cringe comedy. It took me years to watch The Office episode where Michael promised a bunch of kids a college education if they graduated high school, for example.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is SNL on a week delay out west?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

As a collection, on that show (adding in Scheer) it was just too fucking annoying.
Yeah, that's where I have landed. It's a mix that really doesn't work comedically. Maybe its the writing? I keep thinking since it ran so long it must hit its stride maybe so that's another reason I am still hate-watching through season 2, thinking it must get better.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I enjoyed it just fine, but if that's where you are with it, I don't see any reason to keep going tbh. It certainly doesn't get significantly better in the later seasons.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:29 am I enjoyed it just fine, but if that's where you are with it, I don't see any reason to keep going tbh. It certainly doesn't get significantly better in the later seasons.
Do they at least expand from 8 teams to 10? Eight teams is so weak for a league.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you're going 8 teams you need to make it 2 QBs and multiple Wild Card slots, at least two if not three.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Excited for the premier tonight of the new season of Fargo. Stars Juno Temple (Keely from Ted Lasso), Jon Hamm, and Jennifer Jason Leigh, among others.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

God bless Bosch:Legacy for giving us one last chance to hear Lance Reddick say “fucking Bosch”. Rest in peace.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Same.

EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I was very, very late to Squid Games and enjoyed it a few weeks ago. So a new season pops up so I start watching and I'm thinking this is a cool meta-style Amercanized version where people are willing to risk dying to play with some really bad actors...and anyway it took way too long for me to realized that it's just a stupid MTV style reality gameshow.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

No no ed, you have to get to the end. that's the whole trick they're playing. payoff is great.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

At least it is not the James Bond gameshow that Amazon was forced to make when they bought the Bond franchise and need to milk every dollar from that brand. Just waiting for my Wheel of Wookie and Superhero Feud on Disney plus to milk those franchises.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Decided to re-watch Patriot. Just such a great fucking show.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:49 pm Decided to re-watch Patriot. Just such a great fucking show.
That’s one I definitely want to watch again. It sucks it didn’t get renewed, S2 ended setting up a third season.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don’t suppose any of you guys watch Shetland, do you? Watched the first episode of the new season last night. Solid! (Despite having a new lead actor).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:18 am We're still catching up on season 2 of "The Bear" (took us a while to recover from the Christmas flashback episode). Last night we watched the one where Cousin Richie does a week polishing forks at the 3 star restaurant (clearly based on Alinea in Chicago).
[+] spoiler
The running joke after he was done with the week about "I wear suits now" was great. I joked about deciding to start going into my office in a suit every day and telling people that.
Fuck, this was a really great show.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:58 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:18 am We're still catching up on season 2 of "The Bear" (took us a while to recover from the Christmas flashback episode). Last night we watched the one where Cousin Richie does a week polishing forks at the 3 star restaurant (clearly based on Alinea in Chicago).
[+] spoiler
The running joke after he was done with the week about "I wear suits now" was great. I joked about deciding to start going into my office in a suit every day and telling people that.
Fuck, this was a really great show.
Yeah, its great. We watched the last episode a few days ago, and the whole season was fantastic.
[+] spoiler
And the callback with the chocolate banana in the final episode was sooooo good.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Any one watching the new season of Fargo?

And can anyone explain this:
[+] spoiler
What in the fuck was the deal with the "500 Years Ago" flashback to Wales, and the blood sacrifice with the dead pig?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ve got them recorded and will watch a couple episodes tomorrow. (So, I didn’t open your spoiler yet).
Last edited by sancarlos on Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:50 pm Any one watching the new season of Fargo?

[+] spoiler
What in the fuck was the deal with the "500 Years Ago" flashback to Wales, and the blood sacrifice with the dead pig?
I’m waiting until more episodes are out. My parents are loving it, especially Juno Temple’s thick Minnesota accent.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 4:50 pm Any one watching the new season of Fargo?

[+] spoiler
[+] spoiler
So, as is fairly common for this series, they often dip into the supernatural or surreal (remember the UFO?). They haven't really closed the loop, but that's either some crazy 500 year old wraith, or that's Munch's ancestor doing something called Sin Eating. Either way, he's going into some weird dark magic ritual in present time, I believe on Jon Hamm's property... Either way, again, he's clearly using some mystical shit to prep for fuckiing up Roy's (hamm) life.
[+] spoiler
Loving Juno in this role. Really, not a bad actor in the bunch.. or more accurately, not a boring/dull character. The only one I'm having a bit of trouble with his the matriarch (Jennifer Jason Leigh)... Finding her accent and just general deportment to be over the top. But, man, you can see Gator (kid from Stranger Things) coming to a nasty demise--he's playing a MAGA asshole straight down the line and I'm loving it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ok, watched the first three episodes of the new season of Fargo this afternoon and I’m all in!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:57 pm

[+] spoiler
I’m waiting until more episodes are out. My parents are loving it, especially Juno Temple’s thick Minnesota accent.
It's also great to see Jon Hamm again. Sure seems to me that post-Mad Men, he's had a pretty quiet career. He's always great when he shows up in something as a supporting character, like in "Baby Driver" or "Top Gun:Maverick", but he hasn't had the big leading man type of roles.

(I've not seen his Fletch movie, although I've heard its a lot of fun)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:51 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:57 pm

[+] spoiler
It's also great to see Jon Hamm again. Sure seems to me that post-Mad Men, he's had a pretty quiet career. He's always great when he shows up in something as a supporting character, like in "Baby Driver" or "Top Gun:Maverick", but he hasn't had the big leading man type of roles.

(I've not seen his Fletch movie, although I've heard its a lot of fun)
He was part of a fun cast in a movie that I think is super-underrated - Tag.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've yet to not like him in anything I've seen. Spectacular asshole in Bridesmaids. Great in The Town. Great smaller parts in 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Morning Show. I am a full Hamm Mann.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Went in skeptical but he did pretty good with Fletch
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Hamm shows up in a number of the comedian-driven podcasts I listen to... I'm a fan.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:26 am I've yet to not like him in anything I've seen. Spectacular asshole in Bridesmaids. Great in The Town. Great smaller parts in 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Morning Show. I am a full Hamm Mann.
Plus, he seems like such a great guy in interviews and podcast. Doesn't take himself seriously and has a quirky, intelligent sense of humor.
-Pruitt
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Hamm was in Good Omens recently too
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:26 am I've yet to not like him in anything I've seen. Spectacular asshole in Bridesmaids. Great in The Town. Great smaller parts in 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, Morning Show. I am a full Hamm Mann.
Yeah, same here. He definitely excels in the supporting roles.

And he used to be a semi-regular guest on the "Doug Loves Movies" podcast. The backstory is that he was working as a waiter in LA, trying to get his "big break", and he met Sarah Silverman, who was dating Jimmy Kimmel at the time. Hamm got invited to a poker game that Kimmel used to host regularly, and got introduced to a bunch of LA comedians through that.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Kid been watching Young Sheldon on Netflix. So much Ive watched a few with him. Really good. The contrast is amazing
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:20 am Kid been watching Young Sheldon on Netflix. So much Ive watched a few with him. Really good. The contrast is amazing
Kid who plays young Sheldon lives not too far away. Takes karate at the studio that shares a wall with my daughter's dance studio.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bookie is not bad. Not great but much like the Rock as.an NFL agents or entourage it is a decent 30 minutes.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I heard about it and... it may not be that bad (Kevin Bacon and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are in supporting roles).

And, no Griffith Observatory, but I am impressed that they apparently got Wilshire Boulevard closed at Doheny Drive (not exactly the heart of Beverly Hills, but pretty damn close) during daylight hours to film a pretty big shootout.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I saw this and thought it was a bad idea, then I watched the trailer ... and I am so in. Maybe I'm just a sucker for trailers.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:24 pm I saw this and thought it was a bad idea, then I watched the trailer ... and I am so in. Maybe I'm just a sucker for trailers.
Hilarious.

Co-Sign, emphatically on both vibes.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

In
Bronson P sighting
Judge in his first thing in 5 years or so
John Ashton..figured he would be dead

Shoot Lethal Weapon 5 starts shooting next year....all the favs are back.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:15 pm In
Bronson P sighting
Judge in his first thing in 5 years or so
John Ashton..figured he would be dead

Shoot Lethal Weapon 5 starts shooting next year....all the favs are back.
If Mel Gibson is in it I wouldn’t call him a fave. Maybe Elon Musk thinks so.