Swamp Travel Guide

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide

Post by Giff »

I did it the morning after the Rockets blew game 7 in 2018 while suffering from a top 5 hangover.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:16 am If you guys never made it to Chicago, let me suggest an architecture boat cruise. Just some fantastic buildings in so many different styles. I'm staying across the river from the buildings on the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album cover (and some glass tower with TFG's name on it).
Also the scene of a car chase in Steve McQueen's last movie "The Hunter"...

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:16 am If you guys never made it to Chicago, let me suggest an architecture boat cruise. Just some fantastic buildings in so many different styles. I'm staying across the river from the buildings on the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot album cover (and some glass tower with TFG's name on it).
For the record, The Marina Towers. They are in a TON of movies, including the Blues Brothers, Divergent (sorry, not sorry), Ferris Bueller's Day Off and the Dark Knight.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Haven't had a guy's trip in a while, so it's fun actually following through and planning one. Going to head over to Lake Charles on 12/2 for the college championships and then the first set of games the next day. Now that sports betting is legal there, that'll be a good time. Also, the best po boy on Earth.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:42 pm Haven't had a guy's trip in a while, so it's fun actually following through and planning one. Going to head over to Lake Charles on 12/2 for the college championships and then the first set of games the next day. Now that sports betting is legal there, that'll be a good time. Also, the best po boy on Earth.
Guy's trips on NCAAFB championship weekend are fantastic. Did Vegas for it once. 10/10, would recommend.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Probably sad to say but I can't think of more than 2, maybe 3 people I'd even entertain the notion of a guys' trip with.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:34 pm Probably sad to say but I can't think of more than 2, maybe 3 people I'd even entertain the notion of a guys' trip with.
I always thought the Hood to coast thing was basically that for you all.

Which, as the years pass, I find more and more incredible that that happened.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Well, I guess I was thinking with local friends. But yeah, that was cool times. Every time I've been with a swamper it's been good, save a sad experience with Bensell one evening.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:34 pm Probably sad to say but I can't think of more than 2, maybe 3 people I'd even entertain the notion of a guys' trip with.
I think we had 6 for the Vegas trip and that was stretching it.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I have a group of high school buddies and we get together about once a quarter and we're talking about a trip.

My 'hood circle goes out to Dewey because one of them owns a house at least once, if not twice a year, but that's a couples trip. Those ladies go somewhere about once every year... Earlier this fall they went to Rosemary Beach down 30A way in FL.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:38 pm Well, I guess I was thinking with local friends. But yeah, that was cool times. Every time I've been with a swamper it's been good, save a sad experience with Bensell one evening.
I could only picture doing this with HS friends or college friends. Can't imagine a trip with guys I met after having kids. Most social events with people met after having kids are kid related or getting together with families of my kids' friends that we like the parents.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

My college friends and I try to do an annual trip every year for a weekend. Number of invitees has gradually grown from four to eight, having all seven invitees in 2019 (Chicago) and six of eight last year (Milwaukee). Feels like one long hangover because I sleep like crap.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:55 pm My college friends and I try to do an annual trip every year for a weekend. Number of invitees has gradually grown from four to eight, having all seven invitees in 2019 (Chicago) and six of eight last year (Milwaukee). Feels like one long hangover because I sleep like crap.
I have friends from playing Ultimate in Indiana who always try to get me to join them on a Vegas trip in January. I tell them if they were going somewhere besides Vegas, I'd think about it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Found out that my younger daughter got accepted into the summer semester at Gonzaga-Florence. So that means we get to go back to Italy around the end of June.

We are thinking that we'll go to Florence for a few days, and then head north...up into Piedmont or Lombardy to get out of the heat (hopefully) and avoid the more touristy spots (especially hopefully).

Anyone ever been to those regions? Thoughts?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:16 pm Found out that my younger daughter got accepted into the summer semester at Gonzaga-Florence. So that means we get to go back to Italy around the end of June.

We are thinking that we'll go to Florence for a few days, and then head north...up into Piedmont or Lombardy to get out of the heat (hopefully) and avoid the more touristy spots (especially hopefully).

I can’t help you with any personal knowledge, but the CNN show where Stanley Tucci visited and ate great food in different regions of Italy included segment(s) that covered Piedmont and Lombardy. You might want to check that out.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:16 pm Found out that my younger daughter got accepted into the summer semester at Gonzaga-Florence. So that means we get to go back to Italy around the end of June.

Wife and I were just in La Spezia/Porto Venere in September and loved it. Used it as springboard to Cinque Terre which we do not recommend if you are trying to avoid crowds but I thought Porto Venere was manageable in terms of the amount of people.

If you can get just a little further north I would recommend the Dolomites...we stayed near Cortina d'Ampezzo...I have a good hotel rec there if you want it.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:23 pm

I can’t help you with any personal knowledge, but the CNN show where Stanley Tucci visited and ate great food in different regions of Italy included segment(s) that covered Piedmont and Lombardy. You might want to check that out.
Yeah, I highly recommend that show too. We spent a couple nights in Parma at a working farm/castle/Michelin star restaurant and it was amazing, (Antico Corte Pallavicina), although we didn't spend much time in the area. We saw that place on a Bourdain episode. Cinque Terre is great but will probably be overrun with tourists then.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyone know anything about Quebec City? I haven't been since the 90s. Going for a couple of days before Xmas.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:39 pm Anyone know anything about Quebec City? I haven't been since the 90s. Going for a couple of days before Xmas.
No, but that's a city I'd love to revisit as an adult. I went when I was about 17 on a family vacation. Biggest takeaway was an unreal amount of gorgeous women everywhere. It was summer, and very short skirts and short shorts were in fashion. I also remember walking past a number of outdoor fashion shoots and being very impressed with the models. The Chateau Frontenac was nice but left much less of an impression than all the leggy French girls.
-Pruitt
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Been there a few times. Great Old Town. Not as expansive as Montreal or another really big city, but nice place to spend a couple days.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

not sure how relevant but i last went in winter 2006 on a hockey/drinking trip.

Bring skates - honestly. Hell, throw a few sticks/pucks in the car as well. Finding a few outdoor skating areas / rinks right near the wall is my best memory (other than seeing a few games at Le Colisee).
Rush2112 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:39 pm Anyone know anything about Quebec City? I haven't been since the 90s. Going for a couple of days before Xmas.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:19 am The Chateau Frontenac was nice but left much less of an impression than all the leggy French girls.
French Canadian. Know how you can tell?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:13 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:19 am The Chateau Frontenac was nice but left much less of an impression than all the leggy French girls.
They were in Canada?
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 pm
They were in Canada?
[+] spoiler
I was going for a beaver joke
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You should never argue with a frontenac-ac-ac-ac-ac
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:04 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:36 pm
They were in Canada?
[+] spoiler
I was going for a beaver joke
Nice beaver (joke)!
Thanks, I just had it stuffed.
-Pruitt
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

Anyone been to Mérida, Mexico in Yucatan? We're going there as a family for two weeks at the end of January, and I'd love any recommendations. We're planning on doing the cenotes and Mayan archeological sites, and a few days at the beach, but curious if anyone has been to the city and if there's anything we shouldn't miss (we'll have a 4 year old with us so options are a bit more limited than they would be otherwise unfortunately).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

billy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:25 pm Anyone been to Mérida, Mexico in Yucatan? We're going there as a family for two weeks at the end of January, and I'd love any recommendations. We're planning on doing the cenotes and Mayan archeological sites, and a few days at the beach, but curious if anyone has been to the city and if there's anything we shouldn't miss (we'll have a 4 year old with us so options are a bit more limited than they would be otherwise unfortunately).
Yes! We went to a wedding there a few years back, and really enjoyed it. There's a great food scene there (an episode of "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" was filmed there), and we even found a great brewpub close to the house we stayed at.

We also did a day trip to Chichen Itza, which included a trip to cenote for swimming. And there was another 1/2 day trip that we did to a hennican (what they used to make ropes out of) hacienda/plantation that was pretty cool (and also had a cenote for swimming.

ETA: for the beach, we went to an all-inclusive place at Akumal that was great, but it was adults only. And we did a really fun bike tour in Tulum with a local who took us through the Mayan ruins, and then to his friends taco place, a honey farm, and then, yes, another cenote for swimming.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:30 pm
billy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:25 pm Anyone been to Mérida, Mexico in Yucatan? We're going there as a family for two weeks at the end of January, and I'd love any recommendations. We're planning on doing the cenotes and Mayan archeological sites, and a few days at the beach, but curious if anyone has been to the city and if there's anything we shouldn't miss (we'll have a 4 year old with us so options are a bit more limited than they would be otherwise unfortunately).
Yes! We went to a wedding there a few years back, and really enjoyed it. There's a great food scene there (an episode of "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" was filmed there), and we even found a great brewpub close to the house we stayed at.

We also did a day trip to Chichen Itza, which included a trip to cenote for swimming. And there was another 1/2 day trip that we did to a hennican (what they used to make ropes out of) hacienda/plantation that was pretty cool (and also had a cenote for swimming.

ETA: for the beach, we went to an all-inclusive place at Akumal that was great, but it was adults only. And we did a really fun bike tour in Tulum with a local who took us through the Mayan ruins, and then to his friends taco place, a honey farm, and then, yes, another cenote for swimming.
All of this travel talk has me +1'ing travel and cooking shows, but like David Coverdale, here I go again. Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is so good. Absolutely loved that show, (and her book of the same name).
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

Thanks, this is all great! We're probably not gonna make it over to Quintana Roo just because it's pretty far with a little kid, so for beaches we're gonna go to Progreso for at least one day trip and Celestun for a couple nights and a flamingo mangrove boat tour. I'm looking forward to watching to SFAH episode, great shout! And govmentchedda, I'm also a huge fan of her book.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:31 pm

All of this travel talk has me +1'ing travel and cooking shows, but like David Coverdale, here I go again. Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat is so good. Absolutely loved that show, (and her book of the same name).
She's also on a very funny episode of "Normal Gossip"...
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:19 am
No, but that's a city I'd love to revisit as an adult. I went when I was about 17 on a family vacation. Biggest takeaway was an unreal amount of gorgeous women everywhere. It was summer, and very short skirts and short shorts were in fashion. I also remember walking past a number of outdoor fashion shoots and being very impressed with the models. The Chateau Frontenac was nice but left much less of an impression than all the leggy French girls.
Between this mystery series I've been reading and my newly minted Canadian citizenship, I've been eager to visit Quebec City for a few months now. I think we'll go this spring or summer.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We visited there ten years ago. As said by others, the old town inside the walls is nice. The big hotel is nice (we stayed instead at a cool little place outside the wall), and the views over the St. Lawrence are nice. We drove north from there to the little town of Bae St. Paul, and it was really great, so I'd recommend that, too. You can easily get your daily recommended allowance of poutine, too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Did my first marathon there 11-ish years ago. Was kind of a blur but it’s an awesome visit. When not running 26.2 miles never strayed beyond the Old Town though.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just read an article that Braesher is playing for a team in Wendake. So you can watch some 51-year old former NHL play some puck.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Am I missing any secret ways to get big deals on car rentals? It’s like double the price as roughly the same time frame last year and I’m this close to joining Costco to save $100

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 pm Am I missing any secret ways to get big deals on car rentals? It’s like double the price as roughly the same time frame last year and I’m this close to joining Costco to save $100
Good luck. And also, unfortunately, nothing can save you from the enormous taxes tacked on top of rental car fees.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Ryan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 pm Am I missing any secret ways to get big deals on car rentals? It’s like double the price as roughly the same time frame last year and I’m this close to joining Costco to save $100
Try Autoslash.com or search for corporate discount codes for rental car companies.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Thanks - Autoslash says I should…get a Costco membership!

I suppose renting a big car for 12 days isn’t really the ticket to savings in the first place.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Buy the car you want, find a way to tank the supply chain for (or manufacturing of) all the electronics like during the pandemic and then sell for a huge profit after two weeks.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.