Major League Soccer (MLS) 2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

Re: Major League Soccer (MLS) 2023

Post by Rex »

The USSF could revoke their certification, right? And that would be full scale nuclear war, I would think. So I guess this is an intermediate step. Seems like an incredibly bad idea for MLS. Are they doing the same thing with the Canadian Championship? I would think not.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:35 am The fix for the fatigue issue would be to adjust the contracts for the lower level, MLS Next guys so they can move between those rosters more freely. Basically, make the US Open Cups de facto MLS Next games with some of the back benchers from the A team sprinkled in. But, again, that's not really what this is about. It's about control.
The MLS had this model for a few years. I used to go to the DC United Reserve games on Sunday mornings (they played the morning after the league match). So you role down the RFK practice fields, sit right on the sideline of the practice field like a rec game with a cup of coffee and the supporters selling doughnuts. You would get a mix of MLS bench players, rehab, and even some kids pulled up from the youth teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Reserve_League
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:32 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:35 am The fix for the fatigue issue would be to adjust the contracts for the lower level, MLS Next guys so they can move between those rosters more freely. Basically, make the US Open Cups de facto MLS Next games with some of the back benchers from the A team sprinkled in. But, again, that's not really what this is about. It's about control.
The MLS had this model for a few years. I used to go to the DC United Reserve games on Sunday mornings (they played the morning after the league match). So you role down the RFK practice fields, sit right on the sideline of the practice field like a rec game with a cup of coffee and the supporters selling doughnuts. You would get a mix of MLS bench players, rehab, and even some kids pulled up from the youth teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_Reserve_League
The really good O30 team I played on got to play the Reserves on that field. I gave up a really bad goal that day, but it was bc we had a bunch of guests and one of those guys didn't know our rule in the back to never play the ball directly back to me if I'm in the goal frame. I go to outside of the sticks and he slotted it right where I had been standing.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.