Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Swamp Auto Repair

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:51 pm
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:51 am
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:43 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:47 am I have contemplated getting one of the obd devices to read errors like this. They are cheap.
Hell yes. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have seen ones way cheaper than $120. Seems like price point closer to $40 is common
Make sure it's ODB II and not ODB I
Thanks. I've got it queued up this week to compare/contrast later the different models out there.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

There are so many cheap ones..I mean they show up on wish all the tim. Maybe worth going to AutoZone and seeing what they recommend so you get a decent product and not something that will short your ca
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:20 am There are so many cheap ones..I mean they show up on wish all the tim. Maybe worth going to AutoZone and seeing what they recommend so you get a decent product and not something that will short your ca
That's what I was referring to, it looks like the cheap ones are ODB I.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:17 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:20 am There are so many cheap ones..I mean they show up on wish all the tim. Maybe worth going to AutoZone and seeing what they recommend so you get a decent product and not something that will short your ca
That's what I was referring to, it looks like the cheap ones are ODB I.
No there are a ton of ODB2 in the $20-$40 range. Some bluetooth to phone app, some have a hand unit.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What's best/cheapest practice for replacing a lost key fob?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:01 pm What's best/cheapest practice for replacing a lost key fob?
Probably a local locksmith shop? Our local one sells and programs key remotes. It's probably cheaper than going back to the dealer.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:14 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:01 pm What's best/cheapest practice for replacing a lost key fob?
Probably a local locksmith shop? Our local one sells and programs key remotes. It's probably cheaper than going back to the dealer.
Feel like autozone or equivalent also offer it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So, as fun and exciting as it is to get two and a half times more snow than normal, it turns out that leaving a car under all that snow for six months is not a great idea. Even as late as a few weeks ago, the car was completely buried. Yesterday, I went up there, and enough snow had melted away that I could finally see parts of the car - including the smashed-in windshield.

The roof might be dented in as well. And I have no idea how much water has gotten in through the windshield. I shoveled the remaining snow off the windshield and roof so that no more will melt in, but otherwise there's still too much snow for me to move the damn thing.

I really hope this is covered by comprehensive.

Meanwhile, on our other car, we just had to pay $250 to replace the fucking sun visor. And they want $500 to fix the center roof console that keeps falling out. FFS.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Damn. Good luck with that, Steve!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:22 am

So, as fun and exciting as it is to get two and a half times more snow than normal, it turns out that leaving a car under all that snow for six months is not a great idea. Even as late as a few weeks ago, the car was completely buried. Yesterday, I went up there, and enough snow had melted away that I could finally see parts of the car - including the smashed-in windshield.

The roof might be dented in as well. And I have no idea how much water has gotten in through the windshield. I shoveled the remaining snow off the windshield and roof so that no more will melt in, but otherwise there's still too much snow for me to move the damn thing.

I really hope this is covered by comprehensive.

Meanwhile, on our other car, we just had to pay $250 to replace the fucking sun visor. And they want $500 to fix the center roof console that keeps falling out. FFS.
Damn. I would think the smashed-in windshield would be covered. I mean, hail is covered on a parked car, so why wouldn’t snow? As for the visor? Yep. I just tried to get my Altima driver-side sun visor replaced, and the dealer wanted $240 for the visor alone. So I went and got an aftermarket replacement visor from Amazon for like $20 (cough) Shanghai (cough).
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Finally decided to get new tires last week before I went to Austin and then to Louisiana. Ran over a nail at some point since, so that's fun!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:06 pm Finally decided to get new tires last week before I went to Austin and then to Louisiana. Ran over a nail at some point since, so that's fun!
Got the nail patched on Monday. Leaving at 1:30 today for DFW area for a wedding. As I'm in line at Canes for my daughter's lunch, I notice something shiny on my tire. Yup, a screw this time! I guess I'm glad I noticed now instead of at some point on the road, but still.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Giff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:20 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:06 pm Finally decided to get new tires last week before I went to Austin and then to Louisiana. Ran over a nail at some point since, so that's fun!
Got the nail patched on Monday. Leaving at 1:30 today for DFW area for a wedding. As I'm in line at Canes for my daughter's lunch, I notice something shiny on my tire. Yup, a screw this time! I guess I'm glad I noticed now instead of at some point on the road, but still.
Are you driving through a lot of construction zones in your neighborhood?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet its all the undocumented people crossing the border with pockets full of screws and nails just trying to mess up the days of very nice americans.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:31 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:20 pm
Are you driving through a lot of construction zones in your neighborhood?
Not really, no. But there's construction all over the damn place so I'm sure that's where it came from. Luckily Discount Tire patches them for free, but not in time for us to take the truck today. It's just funny that I didn't have that issue once in my old tires.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

When the hell did oil changes start costing 100 bucks? New battery and oil change running nearly $350. I have to think there's a significant portion of the population that has to make a difficult decision when it comes to that. I can pay it but ffs.

And fuck you advance. Went to get battery checked and lady couldn't because she was only one there. SO I said I'll replace it if I can borrow tools (wife's car - - my truck has some) but NOOOOOOOOO it's a liability to use their tools. Fuck off. Happy fucking christmas season douchebag.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:56 am And fuck you advance. Went to get battery checked and lady couldn't because she was only one there. SO I said I'll replace it if I can borrow tools (wife's car - - my truck has some) but NOOOOOOOOO it's a liability to use their tools. Fuck off. Happy fucking christmas season douchebag.
Can't believe they are even allowed to run the store with only one employee.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:07 am
A_B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:56 am And fuck you advance. Went to get battery checked and lady couldn't because she was only one there. SO I said I'll replace it if I can borrow tools (wife's car - - my truck has some) but NOOOOOOOOO it's a liability to use their tools. Fuck off. Happy fucking christmas season douchebag.
She was also standing in the front door smoking a cigarette when I arrived and made no effort to finish quickly while I waited at the counter. I should write a strongly worded letter.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:08 am
She was also standing in the front door smoking a cigarette when I arrived and made no effort to finish quickly while I waited at the counter. I should write a strongly worded letter.
To Penthouse? Sounds sexy.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:10 am
I was the sexier one in the exchange. By a lot.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 am
rass wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:10 am
I was the sexier one in the exchange. By a lot.
We have no doubt on that.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Me and giff are a couple of sexy basses. Bass? Bassi?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Bassholes?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 amI was the sexier one in the exchange. By a lot.
Like Robert Wadlow clarifying he was the tallest in a conversation.