Video Games Thread (See first post for Swamper handles)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EnochRoot
The Dude

Re: Video Games Thread (See first post for Swamper handles)

Post by EnochRoot »

I've got mixed feelings about revisiting one of the greatest video games of all time. The 80s vibe. The pastels. The neon. The soundtrack. The pixels. They're going to replace all that with 5k resolution. I dunno man. I guess I could put this in the 'things that make me feel old' thread.

Noli Timere Messorem
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Playing a new game of which this is an actual screenshot:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

daster muff
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:59 am Playing a new game of which this is an actual screenshot:

I've been having a lot of fun with this game
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Bow down before the one you serve.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Finally pulled out the Atari 2600 for my son last night. Not easy dragging an enormous CRT TV out of the storage room in the basement. Unfortunately, something isn't quite working. I'm thinking (hoping) it's the RF interference box (remember the connection box with the TV/Computer slide switch). When I have the TV and Atari set to Channel 2 or 3 together and turn it on, the screen definitely changes from static to something halfway between static and a game. No way to test if the TV is the issue, so I ordered a new box. If that doesn't work, I'll try an RCA to coax converter jack and try it on my smaller flatscreen just to see if the Atari is working. I can't imagine the games will translate to a 55" flatscreen, but who knows? I saw they now sell an Atari simulator that connects with bluetooth and has over 100 games, but that just isn't the same as playing on the original console with cartridges. I've been keeping the CRT TV just for one day plugging in the Atari, even brought it when we moved. Hoping to get this working, but I guarantee my son gets bored within 5 minutes.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:26 pm Finally pulled out the Atari 2600 for my son last night. Not easy dragging an enormous CRT TV out of the storage room in the basement. Unfortunately, something isn't quite working. I'm thinking (hoping) it's the RF interference box (remember the connection box with the TV/Computer slide switch). When I have the TV and Atari set to Channel 2 or 3 together and turn it on, the screen definitely changes from static to something halfway between static and a game. No way to test if the TV is the issue, so I ordered a new box. If that doesn't work, I'll try an RCA to coax converter jack and try it on my smaller flatscreen just to see if the Atari is working. I can't imagine the games will translate to a 55" flatscreen, but who knows? I saw they now sell an Atari simulator that connects with bluetooth and has over 100 games, but that just isn't the same as playing on the original console with cartridges. I've been keeping the CRT TV just for one day plugging in the Atari, even brought it when we moved. Hoping to get this working, but I guarantee my son gets bored within 5 minutes.
You can find most of the games on emulators. RetroPi is a great little project..but you can play on the browser too.

And this
https://archive.org/details/internetarcade
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

this entire description kinda excited me. I'm still floored at and will never forgive myself for gifting my 2600 (and original playstation...) to a friend as we moved to Vancouver 10+ years ago - I could jam on a little Adventure (level 3) right now...

that problem seems so familiar - it sounds like it might be that RF box, mine was always flaky - like sometimes had to finesse the switch just a bit. I feel like if you can almostkindasorta see the game it shouldn't be the Atari itself, no?

please at least list the cartridges you have so i can bathe in my nostalgia.
The Sybian wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:26 pm Finally pulled out the Atari 2600 for my son last night. Not easy dragging an enormous CRT TV out of the storage room in the basement. Unfortunately, something isn't quite working. I'm thinking (hoping) it's the RF interference box (remember the connection box with the TV/Computer slide switch). When I have the TV and Atari set to Channel 2 or 3 together and turn it on, the screen definitely changes from static to something halfway between static and a game. No way to test if the TV is the issue, so I ordered a new box. If that doesn't work, I'll try an RCA to coax converter jack and try it on my smaller flatscreen just to see if the Atari is working. I can't imagine the games will translate to a 55" flatscreen, but who knows? I saw they now sell an Atari simulator that connects with bluetooth and has over 100 games, but that just isn't the same as playing on the original console with cartridges. I've been keeping the CRT TV just for one day plugging in the Atari, even brought it when we moved. Hoping to get this working, but I guarantee my son gets bored within 5 minutes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:07 am this entire description kinda excited me. I'm still floored at and will never forgive myself for gifting my 2600 (and original playstation...) to a friend as we moved to Vancouver 10+ years ago - I could jam on a little Adventure (level 3) right now...

that problem seems so familiar - it sounds like it might be that RF box, mine was always flaky - like sometimes had to finesse the switch just a bit. I feel like if you can almostkindasorta see the game it shouldn't be the Atari itself, no?

please at least list the cartridges you have so i can bathe in my nostalgia.
Also found a connector to hook up the Atari to a modern TV for $6, so I ordered one in case the TV is the problem. Too many games to list, but I'll give some highlights. My friend's Atari broke at some point after he had Nintendo, so he gave me all the games he had that I didn't, include Star Raider, which came with that extra keypad. I never quite understood that game.

Space Games: Space Invaders, Missle Command, Defender, Venture, Moon Patrol, Vanguard, Asteroids

Sports: Real Sports Football, Real Sports Baseball, HomeRun (3 stick figure fielders move in unison), Championship Soccer, Super Challenge Baseball (actually looked like baseball), Football (which was closer to looking like football), Video Olympics, Street racer

Others: Bezerk, Wizards of Wor, Surround, Maze Craze, Crystal Palace, Battlezone, Tron Deadly Discs, River Raid, Pole Position, EnduroRacer, Outlaw

And my Mom had one game. Bridge. As in the card game.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I'm gonna need your address.
The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:36 am Also found a connector to hook up the Atari to a modern TV for $6, so I ordered one in case the TV is the problem. Too many games to list, but I'll give some highlights. My friend's Atari broke at some point after he had Nintendo, so he gave me all the games he had that I didn't, include Star Raider, which came with that extra keypad. I never quite understood that game.

Space Games: Space Invaders, Missle Command, Defender, Venture, Moon Patrol, Vanguard, Asteroids

Sports: Real Sports Football, Real Sports Baseball, HomeRun (3 stick figure fielders move in unison), Championship Soccer, Super Challenge Baseball (actually looked like baseball), Football (which was closer to looking like football), Video Olympics, Street racer

Others: Bezerk, Wizards of Wor, Surround, Maze Craze, Crystal Palace, Battlezone, Tron Deadly Discs, River Raid, Pole Position, EnduroRacer, Outlaw

(am LOLing at "Bridge")

I had Star Raider and also was confused by it - pretty sure someone "borrowed" it in the mid80s and I never saw it again.

we had both of those RealSports games and I *loved* that baseball game; my dad and I would have some epic battles back in the day.

MazeCraze was a particular fave of mine in there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:03 am I'm gonna need your address.
The Sybian wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:36 am Also found a connector to hook up the Atari to a modern TV for $6, so I ordered one in case the TV is the problem. Too many games to list, but I'll give some highlights. My friend's Atari broke at some point after he had Nintendo, so he gave me all the games he had that I didn't, include Star Raider, which came with that extra keypad. I never quite understood that game.

(am LOLing at "Bridge")

I had Star Raider and also was confused by it - pretty sure someone "borrowed" it in the mid80s and I never saw it again.

we had both of those RealSports games and I *loved* that baseball game; my dad and I would have some epic battles back in the day.

MazeCraze was a particular fave of mine in there.
An in-town friend just called, and I had a feeling he'd be an Atari guy so I mentioned it. He just bought a brand new Atari counsel. It comes with 50 games built in and you can use original cartridges from the 2600 and 5200. He was looking to buy River Raid and Pitfall, so now I can lend them. I can't believe I am going over to a friend's house to play Atari games.

I sent him a picture of all the games, and his response: "Bridge!"
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'll have to ask my wife where the box with her dad's old Atari and games is located.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Still haven’t gotten over losing my Super Nintendo when we moved into this house almost 20 years ago.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

My son told his friend about the Atari, so he went old school and pulled out his PS4 and played Madden 2016. My son was like “the game is so old, Mike Evans didn’t even have tattoos!”
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Let me tell you if you have the newest madden and try to play with the browns but still bench Deshaun Watson your salary cap is fucked all to hell.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.