New Year's 2024

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rex
The Dude

New Year's 2024

Post by Rex »

It's 9:36PM Eastern which means that in 12 minutes it will be midnight in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. An early Happy New Year's to our Canadian friends.

I'm sure there are other interesting things about 2024, but I just learned that Steamboat Willie enters the public domain tomorrow. Which means that Mickey Mouse enters the public domain tomorrow, at least in some form.

There are also a number of national elections, including in Mali, El Salvador, Russia and Mauritania. Good luck to all the candidates!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: New Year's 2024

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Believe it or not..we are going out for New Years. Dinner first at a Thai Street Food/Hip Hop Event space, then for drinks at the bar owned by KEXP DJ John Richards. Will we make it until midnight?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

If you play In The Air Tonight at 11:56:40, the drum beat will start right at midnight.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

1. I think I drank less this year than any year since I started drinking.
2. I am my drunkest of the year right now.
3. 82-year-old Paul Anka is knocking the fuck out of "My Way", which he wrote.
4. Happy New Year, Swamp.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Adding:

5. I watched Ishtar, which I haven't seen before, out of respect for my boss, who thinks it is a good movie and is a fantastic guy who is being laid off in April
6. It fucking blew and deserves its reputation as one of the worst movies of all time
7. I won't tell him
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Watched the New York New Year's stuff and it just felt blah and superficial.

Now I'm watching the Nashville New Year's stuff and I'm just...so annoyed with white people. Country pop music is so fucking laaaaame.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Celebrated east coast new year tonight…which meant staying at the neighbors until 10:01pm then going home because who wants to be out that late anymore…
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:03 am Celebrated east coast new year tonight…which meant staying at the neighbors until 10:01pm then going home because who wants to be out that late anymore…
The restaurant the kids (teenagers) work at do a kids (little ones) NYE with an 8pm balloon drop. That worked fine for us, though I did see an Irish pub in the area doing a 7pm Dublin-timed celebration which would have worked, too. Maybe next year.

Happy new year guys.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:13 pm Believe it or not..we are going out for New Years. Dinner first at a Thai Street Food/Hip Hop Event space, then for drinks at the bar owned by KEXP DJ John Richards. Will we make it until midnight?
We made it until 12:30! And had a ton of fun.

We did joke in the Uber coming home that we don't have to do that again for at least 5 years.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

We made it to New Year’s in Rio (10 pm), so that’s something. About to go out for an easy run and then head over to my folks for New Year’s Day roast pork sandwiches.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

We spent the evening with probably our favorite friends in the area. We’ve only known them since ‘19 but feels like we’ve known them forever. Our kids act like sisters and they both have impeccable music tastes. Their only issue is they’re from New Jersey. Could you imagine?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shoutout to the person who set off ordinance at 12:01am.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:26 pm Shoutout to the person who set off ordinance at 12:01am.
We had some here too. I stayed up til about 1215 or so. Woke the lady ip for a kiss and she was off to bed. I ended up sleeping on the couch for a bit with a cat we are fostering. So allergies are awesome today!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Year 3 of Dry January which is good because last night was very #wet and I’m pretty my sure I have a sinus infection too.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I really should do a dry January. And I’m very tempted. Got drunk twice this past week and I don’t need to be doing that shit anytime soon again. But then, on the other hand, I received some great booze and wine and beer as presents, recently. And, I’ll be visiting my parents soon, which always drives me to drink. So…. Hmmm…
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Took Thursday and Friday off, got some bourbon from the in-laws for Christmas, a cocktail smoker set from my parents and some beer from my parents. I drank more this week than I drank in any given month this year. Decided I wouldn't drink much for NYE as my daughter was going to a party. We were next door, and my daughter mentioned her party was a block away, so I didn't have to drive, and a couple brought all the ingredients for espresso martinis after I was finished drinking, and it seemed rude to turn it down (after everyone else turned them down). They looked so dejected... And they made giant drinks, then the champagne came out... Felt surprisingly great in the morning.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I don't really drink anyway, so my dry January would have to be something like "sugar" or "any calorie over 1500 in a day" or "work out longer." All quite tough for me.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’ve had a breakfast taco and like half a burger (hot take: homemade burgers from the grill are always disappointing) while drinking a bit, so I’m hammered. Happy New Year to my favorite peeps.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I'm going to do "Dry January" again this year...at the least a "Drier January", meaning no drinking at home. If we go out for something, maybe I'll get a drink then.

Our other big New Year's resolution is about portion control when doing meals, and being better about food waste.

On a stupid/personal note, for me its to wear something besides polo shirts when I go into the office.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(DiS gets out a sledgehammer, breaks through the floor of his garage and retrieves a dusty box of bolo ties)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 am (DiS gets out a sledgehammer, breaks through the floor of his garage and retrieves a dusty box of bolo ties)
I almost wore a bolo tie out for NYE. They are going to make a comeback soon!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:51 am (DiS gets out a sledgehammer, breaks through the floor of his garage and retrieves a dusty box of bolo ties)
lol
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian