Swamp Travel Guide: London for Christmas

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Swamp Travel Guide: London for Christmas

Post by GoodKarma »

Anybody spend much time in London? Wife and I are considering going for the last week of December. We are struggling with deciding what area/neighborhood to stay. We would like somewhere with a bit more of a neighborhood feel as opposed to Times Square-like city. We plan on heading out to some day trips to Oxford, York and maybe Brussels. Rest of the time will be spent around London doing Christmas-y type things. I know the weather will probably suck. Any suggestions?

It is my understanding that public transport pretty much shuts down for Christmas Day(make sense) and Boxing Day (doesn't make any sense to me - isn't that when people are supposed to go out?). I would like to go to one of the EPL Boxing Day matches so how hard is it to get a taxi or Uber?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Swamp Travel Guide: London for Christmas

Post by govmentchedda »

We loved staying near Fulham and hated staying in Shoreditch.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Taxi and mass transit should be quite easy most days. Can't speak for availability during XMAS or Boxing Day. I think there's a good "oyster" card that gets you admission to all buses and the tube for a certain amount of hours or days. I remember there being tons of YouTube videos about travel to London.

Re: Boxing Day tickets, the good thing is that barring a royal dying or a transit strike or other black swan event, your game won't be cancelled due to cup competitions. You may need to buy "hospitality" seats which will include some level of dining and lounge, and will definitely be priced according to the opposition's value. I really like Craven Cottage, if they're at home. The Emirates tour is great. Really all stadium tours I've been to have been great, but I can certainly attest to Emirates, as I've done it in person.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Lots of games on the 23rd and 30th as well, although some of those may get moved to Friday or Sunday.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When we were in Britain last year, we needed to spend a night close to the King's Cross/St. Pancras station. We stayed at a very cool little boutique hotel called The Megaro. Would recommend.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I was just there about 10 days ago. We've been a bunch because of my wife teaching classes in Cambridge several summers. We've nearly always stayed at either the Park Plaza County Hall or Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. They're literally across the street from each other. That area is close to good tourist stuff (Parliament, Big Ben, The Eye, etc.) but it's a block away from the crowds, so you can avoid if you want. It's also very close to Waterloo station which is very convenient for trains and the Underground.

When we stayed at the County Hall one a couple of weekends ago, they handed each of us (me, my wife, and son) a small bottle of prosecco to take up to the room. Nice! And then, like ten minutes later, a dude knocked on our door to offer us a free bottle of Spanish red wine to enjoy. No idea why they were doing that, but it was pretty sweet.

A cool London site that is right next door to the hotel is this cool graffiti tunnel that's totally covered in legal and constantly changing graffiti - https://www.londonxlondon.com/leake-str ... el-london/

Oh, and you don't need an Oyster card for the tube (or buses). If you have a contactless credit card (or even better, Apple Pay on your phone), just tap that. Couldn't be easier.
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:51 pm We loved staying near Fulham and hated staying in Shoreditch.
Thanks for saying that...Shoreditch was one of the areas I was considering.

Right now we are leaning towards Angel/Islington or all the way out in Richmond/Kew.
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:56 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:51 pm We loved staying near Fulham and hated staying in Shoreditch.
Thanks for saying that...Shoreditch was one of the areas I was considering.

Right now we are leaning towards Angel/Islington or all the way out in Richmond/Kew.
My ex and her husband have stayed in Islington a few times. IIRC, it's close to Shoreditch. They loved it. Shoreditch was a little too Bourbon St.(NOLA)/7th Avenue(Tampa/Ybor City)/So.Broadway(Nashville) for our liking. Didn't help that a guy begging for change tried to fight me. Richmond/Kew looks lovely, if Ted Lasso is to be believed. I had a friend that lived in that general area before having kids (near Twickenham, I think). I've heard around Wimbledon is nice.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I went to Richmond two weekends ago. It was a nice little town. And the Prince's Head pub is there, just like in the show. It was crowded, but not crazily so. After we ate lunch, we walked around town and along the Thames there. Again, a lovely spot. It's about a 25 minute train ride from Waterloo.
Totally Kafkaesque
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I'd be lying if I didn't say that seeing some of the scenery in Ted Lasso didn't influence our thoughts about staying out that way...we think that would be an ideal place for a classic neighborhood, Christmas-y feel. If anyone knows of any other boroughs similar I'm open to those suggestions.

Since there is little to no public transport available on Boxing Day staying in Islington would mean I could walk to the match at Arsenal; if we stayed in Richmond I could get to the match in Brentford either with a long walk or short Uber/Taxi.
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:06 pm I'd be lying if I didn't say that seeing some of the scenery in Ted Lasso didn't influence our thoughts about staying out that way...we think that would be an ideal place for a classic neighborhood, Christmas-y feel. If anyone knows of any other boroughs similar I'm open to those suggestions.

Since there is little to no public transport available on Boxing Day staying in Islington would mean I could walk to the match at Arsenal; if we stayed in Richmond I could get to the match in Brentford either with a long walk or short Uber/Taxi.
If you REALLY want to Lasso it up, stay in Richmond and go to the game at Palace on the 30th.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:36 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:06 pm I'd be lying if I didn't say that seeing some of the scenery in Ted Lasso didn't influence our thoughts about staying out that way...we think that would be an ideal place for a classic neighborhood, Christmas-y feel. If anyone knows of any other boroughs similar I'm open to those suggestions.

If you REALLY want to Lasso it up, stay in Richmond and go to the game at Palace on the 30th.
Would love to but unfortunately flying home on the 30th.
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

So made it to London after two British Airways cancelled flights which meant two days lopped off our vacation but that's for another post.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67822687

Went against Ched's advice and stayed near Shoreditch then the above happened roughly 500 feet from our hotel. Walked by it at 8am this morning and saw the bicycles lying there with a policeman guarding a roped-off area. It's still roped off this evening...they had the crime scene tent up this afternoon and about a half dozen police vans on scene.
What am I, 12?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Always listen to Cheddah’s advice.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:47 pm So made it to London after two British Airways cancelled flights which meant two days lopped off our vacation but that's for another post.

Went against Ched's advice and stayed near Shoreditch then the above happened roughly 500 feet from our hotel. Walked by it at 8am this morning and saw the bicycles lying there with a policeman guarding a roped-off area. It's still roped off this evening...they had the crime scene tent up this afternoon and about a half dozen police vans on scene.
That neighborhood gave me the willies at night time.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:06 pm Always listen to Cheddah’s advice.
Framing this and putting it up in the office.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:29 pm
Good luck explaining that.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:53 pm
Especially when I add your signature.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:39 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:53 pm
Especially when I add your signature.
That was 90% of what I was referring to.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:28 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:47 pm So made it to London after two British Airways cancelled flights which meant two days lopped off our vacation but that's for another post.

That neighborhood gave me the willies at night time.
It's honestly been fine...we're kind of on the edge of Islington (I think). There are several hipster quick serve restaurants between our hotel and the tube stop so I figure it can't be that bad.
What am I, 12?
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Just to close the book on this we ended up being in starting Christmas morning and flew home on the 30th. We really enjoyed it. It was a little too crowded in some of the more popular neighborhoods and sights so walking in those areas was tough. Loved Greenwich, Covent Garden, Richmond and Marleybone/Mayfair. Using tap to pay for the tube was great. Saw a play put on on by a local group called "The Play that Goes Wrong" and thought it was hilarious...one of the funniest stage productions I've seen.

Arriving on Christmas day meant no tube or rail service but British Airways should be reimbursing me for the black cab cost (among other things) due to the delay.
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like it was a really great trip!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian