Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Comedy...stand-up and otherwise...

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:56 pm I believe it, because it’s funnier if they are reading it for the first time live.
I 100 percent believe it.

John Mulaney used to fuck with Bill Hader doing Stefon by swapping out references on the cue cards. Not all of it... there were certain rehearsed bits that Hader had to practice, but he'd throw in a Dan Cortez and other stupid shit and Hader would break and it was awesome.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:28 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:09 pm How have I never seen that video before? I blame all of you, I count on you to curate pop culture and the internet for me. Acid trip in a closet is about the only explanation. Not my chair, not my problem.
I'm certain I posted it on AofG back in the day so my due diligence is accounted for here.
Yeah, I've never seen that video.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:08 am
Jerloma wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:28 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:09 pm How have I never seen that video before? I blame all of you, I count on you to curate pop culture and the internet for me. Acid trip in a closet is about the only explanation. Not my chair, not my problem.
I'm certain I posted it on AofG back in the day so my due diligence is accounted for here.
Yeah, I've never seen that video.
There's a solid chance I saw it and just don't remember. I used to have an incredible memory, but I'm slipping.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Watched the Shane Torres (the guy most know for the Guy Fieri/Anthony Bourdain bit) special "The Blue Eyed Mexican" over the weekend.

Thought it was pretty funny, but something about his delivery is a bit odd to me.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I had never heard that bit until yesterday afternoon on my way to the store.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:56 pm I had never heard that bit until yesterday afternoon on my way to the store.
It's great...

He's also known for the "everything bagel" joke.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:25 pm Shane Torres (the guy most know for the Guy Fieri/Anthony Bourdain bit)
For anybody (like me) who hadn't seen that bit until now...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I showed Kelli that clip and she reminded me that he opened for Bert when we saw him in September. I didn't remind her I literally don't remember any of that show thanks to the two Cheba Hut long islands I had beforehand. I'm just glad he didn't do this bit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:44 pm I showed Kelli that clip and she reminded me that he opened for Bert when we saw him in September. I didn't remind her I literally don't remember any of that show thanks to the two Cheba Hut long islands I had beforehand. I'm just glad he didn't do this bit.
Yeah, he opened for Bert on his most recent tour. And Bert and his wife were the producers on that special.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

New Chappelle on Netflix..Dreamers was okay. 3.5/5 from me. Some moments were very good and others missed. Some would have been better as Chappelle Show skits.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I saw he recently left a show mid-set because someone had thei camera out. And all his cuck fans defended it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:51 pm I saw he recently left a show mid-set because someone had thei camera out. And all his cuck fans defended it.
I don't have a real issue with that. Comedians working on new material don't want their stuff getting posted before it's ready (and they potentially lose the ability to tour on it/put it in a special).

This, however...

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah when you’re an awful piece of shit human being I’m going to just assume all your actions come from being an awful piece of shit human being. TT probably emailed his brother to those comments. Fuck Dave Chappelle.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:40 am Yeah when you’re an awful piece of shit human being I’m going to just assume all your actions come from being an awful piece of shit human being. TT probably emailed his brother to those comments. Fuck Dave Chappelle.
Fuck you Giff. Funny how you came to a show and laughed at everything i did, but im an awful person because i defend a fellow comics right to tell whatever jokes he wants. Just fuck you for being a closeminded piece of shit human being. Fuck you for mentally labeling me some kind of bigot, and fuck you for this chip on your shoulder you continuously carry for me. I've literally done nothing to you except give my opinion on the industry i literally work in. Im sorry you think the LGBTQIA+ community should have blanket immunity from all jokes. Unfortunately Joke Czar isn't an official position in america. I havent' posted in here in like a year and im still occupying real estate in your head why?

Just for fun i went and listened to the tape of the set i did where you came and enjoyed yourself. In that set i made fun of the following

People with autism
People with epilepsy
people with parkinsons
pedophiles
people who commit incest
Diabetics
Promiscuous women
greg abbott being disabled
people with small penises
asian sex workers
people who have been roofied
children who accidentally ingested semen

All of thats okay with you, you voiced zero moral objections, but trans jokes make someone the devil. Shut the entire fuck up you hypocrite
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It started when you directly attacked people here. Everyone saw it. Everyone remembers it.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I don't remember it. Was it just an argument over this same issue or something else?
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He was talking shit about trans people and double downed when he was reminded that maybe this wasn’t the best place to talk shit about trans people.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 pm He was talking shit about trans people and double downed when he was reminded that maybe this wasn’t the best place to talk shit about trans people.
Got it
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I apologize for speaking for anyone else.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Say it from a stage next time and you'd be a-ok is what I'm gathering here.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:37 pm Say it from a stage next time and you'd be a-ok is what I'm gathering here.
For the most part yeah. There is so much stuff that is said from a stage or through your tv screens that is a) funny and b) would get you punched in the throat if you said it face to face to someone in a not-joking manner.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That punching down defense is so fucking stupid. Like does that mean some white dude can get up and make racial jokes but if a friend says "yeah, he doesn't think he's better than anyone else", its good? You don't get to define the hierarchy, it just exists.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:19 pm He was talking shit about trans people and double downed when he was reminded that maybe this wasn’t the best place to talk shit about trans people.
no, i wasnt and havent. You wont find any posts of me "talking shit about trans people". All ive ever said is that no group is above being joked about and defended chappelles right to do it.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I came here to apologize for calling you out. It’s a sensitive subject for me for whatever reasons, but doing that was not cool. Hope all is well.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TT2.0 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:14 pm
Giff wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:40 am Yeah when you’re an awful piece of shit human being I’m going to just assume all your actions come from being an awful piece of shit human being. TT probably emailed his brother to those comments. Fuck Dave Chappelle.
Fuck you Giff. Funny how you came to a show and laughed at everything i did, but im an awful person because i defend a fellow comics right to tell whatever jokes he wants. Just fuck you for being a closeminded piece of shit human being. Fuck you for mentally labeling me some kind of bigot, and fuck you for this chip on your shoulder you continuously carry for me. I've literally done nothing to you except give my opinion on the industry i literally work in. Im sorry you think the LGBTQIA+ community should have blanket immunity from all jokes. Unfortunately Joke Czar isn't an official position in america. I havent' posted in here in like a year and im still occupying real estate in your head why?

Just for fun i went and listened to the tape of the set i did where you came and enjoyed yourself. In that set i made fun of the following

People with autism
People with epilepsy
people with parkinsons
pedophiles
people who commit incest
Diabetics
Promiscuous women
asian sex workers

All of thats okay with you, you voiced zero moral objections, but trans jokes make someone the devil. Shut the entire fuck up you hypocrite
Hold on. I’m getting my panties in a bunch.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

You also ran out of bold ink
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Longest stretch of advertising we've had here in over two years.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:55 am I came here to apologize for calling you out. It’s a sensitive subject for me for whatever reasons, but doing that was not cool. Hope all is well.
Fair enough. Im sorry for whatever stress that argument caused, and hope all is well with you too man. Consider it let go of on my end
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:40 am

People with autism
People with epilepsy
people with parkinsons
pedophiles
people who commit incest
Diabetics
Promiscuous women
asian sex workers

you of all people know i ran that autism joke through you before it ever hit a stage.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:55 pm
bfj wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:40 am

People with autism
People with epilepsy
people with parkinsons
pedophiles
people who commit incest
Diabetics
Promiscuous women
asian sex workers

you of all people know i ran that autism joke through you before it ever hit a stage.
Don't throw me under the bus you transphobic mother fucker.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pete Davidson's new stand up on Netflix was laugh out loud hilarious.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:57 pm
If we swap ambulance with medical examiner or coroner’s wagon, it gets a little darker.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

TT2.0 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:57 am
no, i wasnt and havent. You wont find any posts of me "talking shit about trans people". All ive ever said is that no group is above being joked about and defended chappelles right to do it.
I think we can all agree that Dave Chappelle is one bigoted motherfucker.

There's bigotry and there's comedy.

Work that out.
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:04 am

Work that out.
TT taking advice on stand up comedy from anyone on here is like anyone taking workout advice from me.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:04 am

Work that out.
No, we don't all agree to that premise.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Funny short set from Josh Gondelman...

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I tried watching the new Ricky Gervais standup on Netflix and didn't make it 15 minutes. He's very impressed with how not woke he is.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You know what you're not allowed to say anymore under any circumstances? This thing I'm about to say on a major television special for millions of dollars!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

That sounds exactly like his last special.