Presidential Election 2024

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: Presidential Election 2024

Post by HaulCitgo »

Those aren't rednecks. They don't exist in Atlanta. More like irate out of towners bringing their northern driving instincts to Atlanta.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

First time Citgo accused of being a redneck.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Post by TankFarm2023 »

I just finished reading one of those NY Times features wherein the locals (Iowa voters, in this case), talk about the coming Iowa caucuses, Trump, and the other half-wits running. I realize that a lot of folks really don't consume much news, or worse, get theirs from FOX/OAN/etc. I know I shouldn't be shocked nor surprised, but I'm still left feeling like it was from The Onion.

Now my head hurts.
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Christie is dropping out!
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

TankFarm2023 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:22 pm I just finished reading one of those NY Times features wherein the locals (Iowa voters, in this case), talk about the coming Iowa caucuses, Trump, and the other half-wits running. I realize that a lot of folks really don't consume much news, or worse, get theirs from FOX/OAN/etc. I know I shouldn't be shocked nor surprised, but I'm still left feeling like it was from The Onion.

Now my head hurts.
I think maybe it was HL Mencken who said “Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average American.” And George Carlin who said something like, “think how stupid the average person is. Then, consider that half the people are worse than that.”
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Out of all the announced candidates, he's the closest to who I'd vote for if I were the sole decision maker and didn't have to weigh viability. Still, this is really funny ...

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Virgil 2024
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:02 pm Out of all the announced candidates, he's the closest to who I'd vote for if I were the sole decision maker and didn't have to weigh viability. Still, this is really funny ...

When I was back east for the holidays the Jeopardy/Wheel hour of TV was Dean and Haley ads back to back to back.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Most of us were just still protesting his Maestro look
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:07 pm Most of us were just still protesting his Maestro look
Gold!
Canadian International
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So good
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Trump wins Iowa.

It was apparently called so quickly that people were still in line to vote getting push notes that it was called.

Whatever. Fuck 'em.

Edit:

And this just in...

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Vivek drops out.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wait. So you mean to tell me endeavoring to be the most condescending, irritating fuck is not a winning strategy?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:48 pm Wait. So you mean to tell me endeavoring to be the most condescending, irritating fuck is not a winning strategy?
Not when the other guy is better at it than you are.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:13 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:48 pm Wait. So you mean to tell me endeavoring to be the most condescending, irritating fuck is not a winning strategy?
And the other guy is orange and not brown.
Canadian International
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:16 am
A_B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:13 am
And the other guy is orange and not brown.
I thought he was talking about the guy with the lifts in his cowboy boots.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Best shot a third party has had in... Ever. Some billionaire could definitely become president with just a tiny bit of luck.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 am Best shot a third party has had in... Ever. Some billionaire could definitely become president with just a tiny bit of luck.
35% of the electorate are Trump cult true believers. They aren’t ever leaving him. He would easily win an election with a solid third party candidate.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I have zero hope for America. None. Not even Swifties or the TikTok generation can save us.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Better be real sure that 35% isn't 31%

If he's at 51% of the Republicans in Iowa, I don't see how he gets get to 35% of the electorate if there's a moderate third option
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:23 pm Better be real sure that 35% isn't 31%

If he's at 51% of the Republicans in Iowa, I don't see how he gets get to 35% of the electorate if there's a moderate third option
He won 51% of the 14% of the republicans that turned out for the caucus.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Trump garnering a shart-worthy 51% of the GOP in Iowa is the definition of meh.

I think it tells you the antipathy towards Trump also comes from the right.
Noli Timere Messorem
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Mitt Romney would probably get 15-20% of Republicans and Democrats. Might be enough right there. Biden would probably squeak by there but the right person. Can't think of any moderate Republicans anymore though. It's become so polarized. Third party Democrat would guarantee it for trump so can't see anyone credible trying short of deathly illness of Biden.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

In a triple option of Trump vs Biden vs Romney, I think you'd see historically low turnout and enough of a Biden/Romney split vote that Trump would coast back in. Like you think Pennsylvania isn't going Trump if there are three options and two are the same?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Not sure. I dont think Biden would lose many PA votes to Romney maybe 5-15% and I think Romney would take probably 15-20% off trump. Think Biden would win PA with about 38-40% in that scenario
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:12 pm In a triple option of Trump vs Biden vs Romney, I think you'd see historically low turnout and enough of a Biden/Romney split vote that Trump would coast back in. Like you think Pennsylvania isn't going Trump if there are three options and two are the same?
Its tough to see a 3rd party candidate helping Biden, as Trump has a cult following. I doubt more than 5% of people who say they are voting Biden are die-hard Biden fans and would consider voting for a Republican in Biden dropped out. Biden voters are largely Dems who will vote Blue or anti-Trump voters willing to vote in anyone who can beat Trump. It does seem like there are some Trump over Biden people who would consider JFK Jr, but who knows. The thought of a second Trump presidency is terrifying, but the Dems suck so bad. We need viable alternatives, just not this year.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

There is a larger percentage of Republicans that would vote third party even if it meant trump losing and a smaller percentage of Democrats that would vote third party if it meant trump winning.

That to say it seems possible that a third party could coalesce enough voting blocs in the right states and catch a couple breaks and win. Enough to ensure that someone (or more) will make a legitimate run as soon as it is clear trump will win. Maybe question is what does it look like with 2-3 guys with 5-10%

End of two party politics?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

I think that one thing the Democrat and Republican parties will always agree on is that the two party system - as ridiculous as it is - strongly benefits them both.

Even if it meant keeping Trump and his cronies from tearing the country down for the next four years, I'd wager that the people running the Democratic party would be fine with that if it meant that they could return to power in 2029.
Canadian International
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Elon musk comes to mind if not for wasting all his money. Sports star? Military hero. YouTube/tiktoker? Bill fucking belichick wins presidency... Loses MA
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Musk can’t run.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:17 pm There is a larger percentage of Republicans that would vote third party even if it meant trump losing and a smaller percentage of Democrats that would vote third party if it meant trump winning.

Ahh, I see what you are saying. Interesting point, I was looking at it differently. I wrote and deleted a long post, but I get it now. The equation is the same... Trump's base is loyal to the core, Biden's base is there because they are anti-Trump to the core. Not to say that some people don't like Biden, but he just doesn't have the cult worshippers.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:33 pmMusk can’t run.
And he wasn't born in the US.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Electoral college is highest number not majority? Who can win California and new York and Illinois? No moderates. Flip side who can win Georgia and Florida, Tennessee, Ohio and north Carolina? Seems like there ought to be a common theme there. The rest would fall in place. Mid Atlantic to west of Appalachia hero? Tim Tebow.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:19 pm Electoral college is highest number not majority?
No...its majority. If no one gets the majority, it goes to the House.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Riots. Me among them
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Guess Vivek found out he was actually running for the nomination of the Face-Eating Leopards Party.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:06 am Guess Vivek found out he was actually running for the nomination of the Face-Eating Leopards Party.
I have a feeling Vivek wasn’t running for a President, but setting himself up as a RW pundit or creating the next Daily Wire type of company. Or he has a massively oversized ego and narcissist streak and wanted the attention.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:22 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:06 am Guess Vivek found out he was actually running for the nomination of the Face-Eating Leopards Party.
I have a feeling Vivek wasn’t running for a President, but setting himself up as a RW pundit or creating the next Daily Wire type of company. Or he has a massively oversized ego and narcissist streak and wanted the attention.
Why not both?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:22 am
Or a Cabinet position.

If Trump would even appoint a cabinet. Remember towards to the end of his Administration, he was saying that he liked having "Acting" secretaries, because they didn't have to go through Senate confirmation? I could totally see him continuing to do that.