Black Monday 2024

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Black Monday 2024

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:43 pm It was nice to have two good coordinators here in Baltimore for one season. I imagine they could both be gone after this year.
Lions definitely going to lose their OC and could lose DC as well.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:46 pm
bfj wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:43 pm It was nice to have two good coordinators here in Baltimore for one season. I imagine they could both be gone after this year.
Can I interest you in a 3-time Super Bowl winning coordinator? With experience on both Defense and Offense?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:45 pm Eh, don’t worry BFJ. Coordinators don’t move the needle negatively that much. Look what happened to my guys this year after losing both OC and DC.
quality post - golf clap
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:53 pm
brian wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:46 pm
Can I interest you in a 3-time Super Bowl winning coordinator? With experience on both Defense and Offense?
How that guy keeps getting coaching jobs is beyond me at this point. He must have dirt on half the NFL or something.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Must be some pretty terrible organizations in the league if he does keep getting jobs, huh?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:38 pm Must be some pretty terrible organizations in the league if he does keep getting jobs, huh?
Rob Ryan is still with the Raiders.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:40 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:36 pm Pete Carroll OUT.
Now, whose tree is he from?
Bill Walsh?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:40 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:36 pm Pete Carroll OUT.
Now, whose tree is he from?
Thanks for the comments.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Belichick is available

Edit: noon press conference and I'm just gonna ramble about the last few seasons:

First the good -- the defensive was stunningly good considering they lost 2 of their best defenders and how the offense and special teams put them in horrendous position all year, so he (along with his sons and Mayo) can still coach defense.

Offense has been a mess since Brady left obviously, but then went to complete shit when McDaniels and his staff left. A lot of it is bad drafting. First if they take any wr other than N'Keal Harry (Metcalf, Samuel, etc) Brady might stay..however that goes to the next issue, he stopped finding and developing good offensive linemen, other than Onwenu. Which means Mac Jones was put in a bad spot. Jones looked competent under McDaniels, below average under Patricia (although his interceptions decreased as the season went on, which is why Belichick probably wanted to keep Patricia -- to win with a boring offense that protects the ball along with superior defense and special teams (which has been terrible the last two seasons so, so much for that). Then Jones was horrendous under O'Brien..O'Brien got production out of Bourne before he got injured and Hunter Henry (something Patricia couldn't do), but Jones got so much worse and the offensive line was a mess --Trent Brown was either injured/or checked out, Strange was hurt and not looking like a good pick, Andrews is fine, and they tried to keep Onwenu at guard because they think he can be outstanding there while being just good at tackle. When they finally did move him to tackle to replace a revolving door of shit tackles, the line improved. They didn't like the tackles in the draft or free agency, so I see this failure as more of several season not developing players rather than what they did in the last year's draft and free agency. Back to Jones, the fact the Patriots played better with Zappe shows just how bad Jones became --sure, blame the coaching and line a lot, but I don't see him as a competent QB unless you put him back with those Alabama receivers and line.

Which goes to coaching and personnel --offense and special teams coaching has been horrendous. Based on the Texans' improvement, it looks like they miss Caseiro. I was intrigued with the idea of McDaniels coming back with Belichick staying because I think the defense has the potential to carry a team if the offense and special teams in competent. Now I see the defense getting worse without Belichick, and uncertainty everywhere else. Hopefully they can bring in Harbaugh because it will probably turn into a Pete Carroll following Parcells dynamic...unless they strike gold drafting a QB
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

A lot of noise about Brady being the one who made Bellichick great, and certainly there's a bit of truth to that, but he led the Pats to 9 Super Bowls.

Shula only went to one with Marino, Saints only once with Brees, Walsh 3 times with Montana (albeit in only 10 years)... etc, etc.
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He was indisputably a great coach, possibly the best ever, as long as Brady was his QB.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

He should get a lot of credit for helping Brady develop. What happens to Brady if Rich Kotite is his head coach at the beginning of his career?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sure, it was symbiotic and I'm sure two guys who could have been out of the league 15 years ago if they'd never connected. Only real difference is we know what happens to Belichick with every QB that isn't Brady, and its like 20 games under .500.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt IV wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:08 am A lot of noise about Brady being the one who made Bellichick great, and certainly there's a bit of truth to that, but he led the Pats to 9 Super Bowls.

Shula only went to one with Marino, Saints only once with Brees, Walsh 3 times with Montana (albeit in only 10 years)... etc, etc.
Brady didn't hold the Rams to 3 points or put Butler in place to intercept Russ at the goal line. That said both can GOATs they're in different categories.

Now if he is indeed out, they better go outside the "family" for the next coach (and yes Bronto that includes coaches that aren't part of BB's tree, but affiliated with the Patriots.)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:22 am Only real difference is we know what happens to Belichick with every QB that isn't Brady, and its like 20 games under .500.
He took a QB that hadn't started since HS to an 11-5 record, but ya.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Belichick isnt the greatest without Troy Brown. He shouldnt have to apologize for that. If you want to knock him for missing in the draft he also gets the credit for the 8th! round guys
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Troy Brown was Parcell's pick (I doubt he let Belichick pick the groceries)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Bears fired Luke Getsy a bunch of their offensive coaching staff, but kept Eberflus, so they need to get two coordinators this offseason. Either Fields gets a third offense in his fourth year or they roll with a rookie QB. In either case, Eberflus is coaching for his job, as he will be entering the third season of his four-year contract. That will make it easy to build a highly-qualified staff.

The only surprise is that the local media opinions I have seen are in lockstep about how the franchise keeps making the same mistake over and over (Fox and Trubisky, Nagy and Fields, Eberflus and whatever rookie QB).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:51 pm Bears fired Luke Getsy a bunch of their offensive coaching staff, but kept Eberflus, so they need to get two coordinators this offseason. Either Fields gets a third offense in his fourth year or they roll with a rookie QB. In either case, Eberflus is coaching for his job, as he will be entering the third season of his four-year contract. That will make it easy to build a highly-qualified staff.
Does this make you think they're keeping Fields? Why try and evaluate the coach by giving him another rookie QB? Other than the obvious reasons such as "the organization is toilet water"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:47 pm Troy Brown was Parcell's pick (I doubt he let Belichick pick the groceries)
Bad joke
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:45 amHe took a QB that hadn't started since HS to an 11-5 record, but ya.
Just under 27 attempts per game over 23 games, >80% of the team's total passes over those two years, is a pretty wild stat for a backup QB.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

It is almost impossible to talk about how important Brady was on the field, within the organisation and in the locker room.

The defense and the schemes, the culture, the attention to detail across the board, the ability to support coaches so that they were able to prepare players to step in and play error free football, was all about Belichick.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It has come to my attention that the comment I responded to above was about Matt Cassel. This is my mistake as I didn't know we were talking about one of the QBs who helped Belichick stay less than 25 games under .500 without Brady. I apologize.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is actually funny:

Edit:

Also funny:

Last edited by Johnnie on Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Ryan wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:12 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:51 pm Bears fired Luke Getsy a bunch of their offensive coaching staff, but kept Eberflus, so they need to get two coordinators this offseason. Either Fields gets a third offense in his fourth year or they roll with a rookie QB. In either case, Eberflus is coaching for his job, as he will be entering the third season of his four-year contract. That will make it easy to build a highly-qualified staff.
Does this make you think they're keeping Fields? Why try and evaluate the coach by giving him another rookie QB? Other than the obvious reasons such as "the organization is toilet water"
No, I don't think they are. While he has improved, Fields is still a below-average passer and I don't think a different offense is going to improve him enough, especially since they have to decide on his fifth-year option by May 2 (I think is the date, it's right after the draft). Even when he "played well" after returning from injury, he completed 60.4% of his passes for 6.32 yards per attempt with a 5:3 TD:INT ratio (2.6% TD percent). They're all bottom-five-type numbers.

I think the only thing Eberflus proved this year is that he is a pretty good defensive coordinator when he has talent to work with. Even so, they were still pretty bad on that side of the ball until their midseason trade for Montez Sweat and they magically started playing a much easier schedule.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Can someone explain how Bill Belichick can leave his role in the Patriots organisation and be replaced in house by Jerod Mayo without others being interviewed as directed within the Rooney rule?

I think the announcement regarding Belichick leaving his role was official yesterday, so that makes the recruitment process pretty speedy.

Just to clarify, I am aware that Mayo would have been a minority candidate.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Tom 1860 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:11 am Can someone explain how Bill Belichick can leave his role in the Patriots organisation and be replaced in house by Jerod Mayo without others being interviewed as directed within the Rooney rule?

I think the announcement regarding Belichick leaving his role was official yesterday, so that makes the recruitment process pretty speedy.
Does hiring a black coach exempt the rule?

Also, I wonder if Mayo's last contract had a guarantee that he would be head coach when Belichick left (sort of the Parcells/Belichick thing with the Jets), because it was assumed Mayo would be coaching elsewhere until he got that new deal, I think it was last year.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tom 1860 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:11 am Can someone explain how Bill Belichick can leave his role in the Patriots organisation and be replaced in house by Jerod Mayo without others being interviewed as directed within the Rooney rule?

Just to clarify, I am aware that Mayo would have been a minority candidate.
I think both sides (league and coaches) realize the Rooney Rule is problematic. The good old boys who run teams often know in advance of who they want to hire before they fire the current coach. Up-and-coming Black coaches know that, often times, they are show ponies who have no real chance of getting the job, so they don't want to waste time interviewing for a job for which they have no chance of being hired. They end up taking interviews because it is the only way to ever get in front of an NFL team owner for a substantive conversation.

As such, I think the league doesn't really care about enforcing the rule except in the most overt cases of ignoring it.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Clubs must interview at least two diverse candidates from the Career Development Advisory Panel list, or a diverse candidate not currently employed by the club.

Clubs must conduct an in-person interview with at least one external minority candidate for any GM or head coaching interview.

Clubs must continue to consider multiple diverse candidates.

Clubs must maintain complete records and provide them to the league upon the Commissioner’s request.

If the final decision maker is involved from the beginning of the hiring process, they must be involved through the conclusion of the process.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Great, the Patriots are going to lose another draft pick. That said, it would be stupid for Kraft not to interview a bunch of people -- he needs to hear fresh perspectives...and get a head start on finding a coach after he fires Mayo.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Shouldn't Mayo have to agree to coaching the Jets before becoming the head coach in Boston?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

The guy was a great linebacker. No clue about a coach.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:03 am The guy was a great linebacker. No clue about a coach.

Unless there was a huge row over the GM stuff with Bill I don't understand going with Bill-lite, when you could have still had Bill.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

HaulCitgo wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:03 am The guy was a great linebacker. No clue about a coach.
And would the younger Belichick stay on as defensive coordinator? And then on offense, Mayo only has experience coaching with McDaniels and O'Brien. If you continue with that it's the same system without the most important piece -- JV Belichick. Otherwise Mayo is bringing in an unfamiliar offensive coordinator which is a crapshoot. In other words, pay a billion dollars for Harbaugh.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Agree with all that. You almost have to convince OBrien to stay here. Hope its a stop gap until the right guy can be identified. Not the worst way to move on from a legend... but I think they should have held on another year.

Some GM going to take a swing on a qb cause they can with no consequences. If he hits which is 30% guaranteed, youre a genius. If you miss, youre gone and dont have to deal with the fallout. They need to go best available.

Kraft is due a reminder of the old days. Kid seems pretty normal though so maybe by the time he checks out the kid can find the guy to lead the next decade.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Mayo will be head coach according to Shefter and Rooney Rule doesn't apply because there was a succession plan in Mayo's contract.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:39 am
Unless there was a huge row over the GM stuff with Bill I don't understand going with Bill-lite, when you could have still had Bill.
Yeah, perhaps the main different thing Kraft wants is a coach who is more compliant, malleable and willing to take direction from the owner.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

As others have said, you have to wonder about the rest of the staff. Mayo ONLY knows the Pats from his time as a player/coach. Unless Steve and the position coaches are staying on D and BoB on O (or McD is returning) it's not like he has a huge rolodex to choose from. Word is that Wolf (the head of scouting) is the new GM, so no crazy change up there either, aside from who has the last word I guess.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Not open on Sundays = 2nd round pick
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The