Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by Johnny Carwash »

(check the comments btw)
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Huge guffaw over here when they started that round. Perfect topic.

Well done, man!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Good shit. I didn’t know GPJ played college football. Is that D-3?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks, and nice work!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

That's great.

But what the hell are the rules of that show?
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Should have gone full villain. "I knew I was going to win as soon as I saw my opponent was a girl."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I got a bunch of those and never even played cfb
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Wow, that was not a fair fight at all. Lost a second on the Trojans hesitation though.
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:03 pm Good shit. I didn’t know GPJ played college football. Is that D-3?
Yes, I believe so. Only real option for white D-backs. Nothing to do but drink and fuck in Meadville.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

mister d wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:28 pm Should have gone full villain. "I knew I was going to win as soon as I saw my opponent was a girl."
Oh, you could go way fuller villain than that.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

OMEffG

They’ve been talking about this show over on the J-board and I had no idea.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Yeah how the fuck does it even work? SHE challenged HIM to this duel?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:50 pm Yeah how the fuck does it even work? SHE challenged HIM to this duel?
She wanted his floor. Pay attention to commercials!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When you come for the Cumlord, you best … something something…

(You best come HARD!)
Last edited by sancarlos on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

She may have wanted his floor but she definitely didn't have his ceiling!!!!!!?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So is gpj still in the game or what? And why the fuck wouldn’t he tell us, his obviously most important friend group.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

No, I played stupid and got eliminated. I didn't say anything because I lost so fuck it. Didn't really say much anywhere.

Rob Lowe goaded her into challenging me (btw I'm in episode 3), and she absolutely should not have done it. A bunch of these people just memorized logos, like that was enough to win a challenge against somebody who knows pretty much every FBS team plus a bunch of randos as well. It wasn't just her that wanted to challenge me, but she didn't have to and could have gone back to the floor with her own category (spices and fuckin condiments guh). Not sure why she didn't.

Each round took like 2 hours to film and we were standing around for 12 hours a day waiting for shit to happen and people just got antsy. Rob Lowe is definitely juicy for 59 but there was something weird about it, I just can't remember exactly what. Definitely looked like he might melt.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:22 pm When you come for the Cumlord, you best … something something…
Ummm..."a" Cumlord"?

Thx
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

"It says here your specialty is cum"
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Uh, Spoiler Alert!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

So many thoughts. First and foremost, the pocket tin.

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:34 pm No, I played stupid and got eliminated. I didn't say anything because I lost so fuck it. Didn't really say much anywhere.

Rob Lowe goaded her into challenging me (btw I'm in episode 3), and she absolutely should not have done it. A bunch of these people just memorized logos, like that was enough to win a challenge against somebody who knows pretty much every FBS team plus a bunch of randos as well. It wasn't just her that wanted to challenge me, but she didn't have to and could have gone back to the floor with her own category (spices and fuckin condiments guh). Not sure why she didn't.

Each round took like 2 hours to film and we were standing around for 12 hours a day waiting for shit to happen and people just got antsy. Rob Lowe is definitely juicy for 59 but there was something weird about it, I just can't remember exactly what. Definitely looked like he might melt.
I've long thought that the SATs should have more an endurance factor to them. If they're not going to require you to run a few miles, then standing around in a room for 12 hours before you can begin taking a two hour exam makes sense, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:35 pm
sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:22 pm When you come for the Cumlord, you best … something something…
Ummm..."a" Cumlord"?

Thx
Ladies and gentlemen! The TWO fantastic Cum Lords… Sean and Kyle!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:34 pm No, I played stupid and got eliminated. I didn't say anything because I lost so fuck it. Didn't really say much anywhere.

So fucking cool. I thought about watching this show. I listen to Rob’s podcast on occasion, and he seems like a great guy. Former boss is infatuated with him and had me listen to his audiobook memoir, which was hilarious. Amazing seeing a guy who was that big in Hollywood and arguably the biggest heartthrob ever, not take himself seriously at all and willing to brutally make fun of himself.

Looks like the episode is up on Hulu. From the opening, it looks like Rob had some dodgy work done on his face.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jacquelyn looks like the Madame Tussaud’s version of Alina Habba was left out in the sun for a couple hours.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:03 pm Jacquelyn looks like the Madame Tussaud’s version of Alina Habba was left out in the sun for a couple hours.
The lighting in there was brutal
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

ok - this was amazing :D

Gunpowder - that's completely awesome. Looking good up there.

We should have a thread of/about Swampers on national (or any) tv.

seeing as I'm completely out of touch, what's the concept here? is every person on the floor a contestant or are there teams?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:47 am ok - this was amazing :D

seeing as I'm completely out of touch, what's the concept here? is every person on the floor a contestant or are there teams?
From what I gathered, it seems like every contestant is an individual. You win $20,000 for having the most floor at the end of an episode. I assume last contestant standing wins a big prize. I'm trying to figure out if the entire season is one game. Kind of genius, as it makes you want to tune in to see how it plays out.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Everyone is an individual contestant with a "specialty" that was mostly assigned loosely based on what you told them you were good at, and whatever they could clearly do without needing to pay royalties. Once you "duel", whatever category was played is gone and if the winner was the one who had that category, the loser's category becomes their's. So mine become spices and condiments and I was like guh.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:48 am
MaxWebster wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:47 am ok - this was amazing :D

From what I gathered, it seems like every contestant is an individual. You win $20,000 for having the most floor at the end of an episode. I assume last contestant standing wins a big prize. I'm trying to figure out if the entire season is one game. Kind of genius, as it makes you want to tune in to see how it plays out.
It is one game.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This was maybe the best concept I've seen in the "heavily-edited, reality-show-influenced, lit-like-a-backstage-rave-exclusively-for-twitch-streamers" game show genre. A low bar, but it was actually fun to watch and not totally dumbed down.

I loathed the fucking guy who had all the squares at the beginning and then lost. I know that's exactly what the show is looking for, but get out.

Medical devices girl was maybe the saddest character in television history.

So is every category (except one at the end maybe?) guaranteed to be played exactly once? Was there any scenario in which you would have gotten to play college teams again? Attacking that next guy was clearly the best move, though, right? I mean I guess you would have been on TV a little more if you just laid low but I think you did well to find a category you could have taken (until they said "fictional" and you died inside).

But great show. Getting a couple funny lines in, showing off some sports knowledge, and Rob Lowe touching your hand? As Jim Valvano said, that's a full day.

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:06 am This was maybe the best concept I've seen in the "heavily-edited, reality-show-influenced, lit-like-a-backstage-rave-exclusively-for-twitch-streamers" game show genre. A low bar, but it was actually fun to watch and not totally dumbed down.
I think the "damn these idiots dont know who Logan Roy is?" part helps a lot.
I loathed the fucking guy who had all the squares at the beginning and then lost. I know that's exactly what the show is looking for, but get out.

Tom? He's awesome, but yeah a lot of people don't like him as they edited him to look. He was probably my show BFF.
Rob Lowe asked her why she chose medical devices and she said "it was assigned to me", which was hilarious.
So is every category (except one at the end maybe?) guaranteed to be played exactly once?

Yes.
Was there any scenario in which you would have gotten to play college teams again?
No.
Attacking that next guy was clearly the best move, though, right? I mean I guess you would have been on TV a little more if you just laid low but I think you did well to find a category you could have taken (until they said "fictional" and you died inside).
I don't think so, still should have gone back I think. I did think I could beat him because he was another "randomly assigned category" guy and I know what Bernard Arnault and Carlos Slim look like. It boiled down to the following:

1. It was the end of another 12 hour day of standing around doing mostly nothing, and people were getting antsy.

2. Rob Lowe goading people into staying up there.

3. My desire to get through the episode so I could go back to the hotel and cram spices and condiments into my brain, feeling that if I went back "the randomizer" would randomly choose someone next to me. I still should have taken that chance. They edited out me saying that the only spices I know come in little bottles that say exactly what they are.

4. I wanted to creep over to the other side where all the categories I knew were. One hit wonders, world capitals, rappers? Yeah sign me up.

But great show. Getting a couple funny lines in, showing off some sports knowledge, and Rob Lowe touching your hand? As Jim Valvano said, that's a full day.
It was definitely fun to do and I'm glad I did it.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:20 am
Rob Lowe asked her why she chose medical devices and she said "it was assigned to me", which was hilarious.
"What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a vet technician"

(whispers to other producers) "We already gave someone animals"

(other producer) "Give her cold and slippery flooring and tissue brands"

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Haa one kid wanted flags but they gave it out already so they gave him books. He didn't know shit about books.

Another reason I stayed up was that if I was gonna lose I'd rather not go out being embarrassed not knowing what, like, paprika looks like.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:03 amSo mine become spices and condiments and I was like guh.
Just googled but it looks like my "guess every spice I own" game was in a different iteration of the swamp. If this ever comes up again for you, I'm your man.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

So many more questions... How did you get selected or even know about the show? I hear what you are saying about strategies, but I thought you made the right move if you don't know your spices. It really looked like you were going to beat lil' Ryan Fitzpatrick until you were hit with Logan Roy and Leona Helmsley. If you were slightly older and lived in a NYC media market in the 80s, you absolutely would have known who she was, but outside of that, I doubt most people would recognize her 30 years after her time in the spotlight. Helmsley and Trump were constantly in the NY tabloids and local news. I hadn't thought about the fact that you could have gone back and studied spices all night, that might have worked as it seemed like the other contestants were scared of that topic, and better to play someone when it's not their topic.

Medical device lady didn't come off great, but I feel for her. She said she was a vet tech, and it sounds like she got stuck with a stupid topic. Some of the "medical devices" were stupid, like condoms and especially nasal spray. I mean, technically I guess they are...

The Oscar category was driving me nuts. The one woman was smart and just quickly shouting out the last names. I kept waiting for the other woman to catch on and stop struggling over first names when she seemed to have the last name down. Wasted a lot of time.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:37 am
Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:03 amSo mine become spices and condiments and I was like guh.
Just googled but it looks like my "guess every spice I own" game was in a different iteration of the swamp. If this ever comes up again for you, I'm your man.
First thing I thought of when I saw that topic! Still bummed and think of you when I walk past where Penzey's used to be in Summit. I think I'd do pretty well in the spices category. Not sure if I'll continue watching with our boy off the show, but I'm curious to see how I'd do in that category.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:39 amThe Oscar category was driving me nuts. The one woman was smart and just quickly shouting out the last names. I kept waiting for the other woman to catch on and stop struggling over first names when she seemed to have the last name down. Wasted a lot of time.
And still smoked the "expert"

Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:52 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:39 amThe Oscar category was driving me nuts. The one woman was smart and just quickly shouting out the last names. I kept waiting for the other woman to catch on and stop struggling over first names when she seemed to have the last name down. Wasted a lot of time.
lolz there are a few people on there who I would consider trivia "experts" in their categories. Most of us were just regular ass people tho
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:55 am
Ryan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:52 am
lolz there are a few people on there who I would consider trivia "experts" in their categories. Most of us were just regular ass people tho
It also seems like they made the questions super basic. Even categories where I didn’t think I knew much, I knew most of the answers. Just don’t know how well I’d do under pressure after standing around all day.

BTW, I loved when you jumped back as the floor spot next to you was turning gold.
-Pruitt
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:39 am So many more questions... How did you get selected or even know about the show?

A friend down here was helping with casting and told me to apply. I read what they wanted and I said no. She said no just do it. I said ok.

The secret to getting on TV shows is applying to get on TV shows, it seems.

I hear what you are saying about strategies, but I thought you made the right move if you don't know your spices.
Unless I ran everything (which I wasn't gonna do), I'd have to play it eventually. I just wanted to get through the show. It was dumb, I don't think there was any real benefit to challenging that guy even if I won. Just opens me up to more potential challengers.
It really looked like you were going to beat lil' Ryan Fitzpatrick until you were hit with Logan Roy and Leona Helmsley. If you were slightly older and lived in a NYC media market in the 80s, you absolutely would have known who she was, but outside of that, I doubt most people would recognize her 30 years after her time in the spotlight. Helmsley and Trump were constantly in the NY tabloids and local news. I hadn't thought about the fact that you could have gone back and studied spices all night, that might have worked as it seemed like the other contestants were scared of that topic, and better to play someone when it's not their topic.
Dude I thought I had it in the bag and clearly remember thinking that even now. Sheeeeeet

Medical device lady didn't come off great, but I feel for her. She said she was a vet tech, and it sounds like she got stuck with a stupid topic. Some of the "medical devices" were stupid, like condoms and especially nasal spray. I mean, technically I guess they are...
She was a "Hollywood plant" and yeah they screwed her and a few others. Just wanted to make a Viagra joke and did it at her expense, it appears.

The Oscar category was driving me nuts. The one woman was smart and just quickly shouting out the last names. I kept waiting for the other woman to catch on and stop struggling over first names when she seemed to have the last name down. Wasted a lot of time.
Yeah that was just her personality, I don't think she had any intention of being on for the long haul. Still have no idea why Jennifer (was that her name?) challenged me instead of going back WITH HER OWN CATEGORY after wiping the floor with Zennie.