Dan LeBatard Show/Meadowlark Media

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Dan LeBatard Show/Meadowlark Media

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Anyone else listen with any regularity to the main show (or others)? I know Bengal does and AB has mentioned it previously.

I have things I'd like to discuss, but would prefer not to do it at Reddit with a bunch of randos doing it for cool points.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Dan LeBatard Show/Meadowlark Media

Post by govmentchedda »

Regularly? No, but I catch a lot of their clips, and am obviously a massive Shutdown Fullcast and DNF fan.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Love it. Discuss away.

Although I’ve been traveling and not heard much this week.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I'll start with this simple one...

Does Dan's "completely incompetent boss" schtick completely undercut him any time he tries to make a serious point about anything outside of the sports world (or even including the sports world)?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Every time I hear the chant of "foot" in their studio, all I can do is think of the Mike Schur punch line, "Somewhere (beep)... Mina Kimes (beep)... is relieved. (beep)" and the roaring laughter resulting from it.

LeBatard also says, "UFC... this sport is in the gutter" while his show promotes an MMA show and series of live events they are putting on.

Sometimes, he is exactly what their entire conceit is trying to parody.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:20 am I'll start with this simple one...

Does Dan's "completely incompetent boss" schtick completely undercut him any time he tries to make a serious point about anything outside of the sports world (or even including the sports world)?
To circle back on this one, I think he was under a lot of stress at the time due to his brother. So it was a defense mechanism.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

I cannot stand stugotz or most of the main show regulars. Lebatard himself is fine now that he's getting past his mental stuff a little bit. Will watch PTFO if certain people are on. Sarah Spain not on the ESPN leash is pretty funny. Katie Nolan and Mina Kimes obviously kill.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

blundercrush wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:24 pm I cannot stand stugotz or most of the main show regulars. Lebatard himself is fine now that he's getting past his mental stuff a little bit. Will watch PTFO if certain people are on. Sarah Spain not on the ESPN leash is pretty funny. Katie Nolan and Mina Kimes obviously kill.
The PTFO about DeSantis, New College, and baseball is so good.

Features Jeb Lund.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

TL/DL. Curious to hear what they found, but not watching an hour long video curios. What’s the gist?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:42 pm TL/DL. Curious to hear what they found, but not watching an hour long video curios. What’s the gist?
DeSantis, and fellow fascist Chris Rufo (the guy who invented the whole "Your kid is going to learn about Critical Race Theory in 1st Grade!" nonsense) are destroying liberal-arts college New University in Florida (see here for more: DeSantis Takes On the Education Establishment, and Builds His Brand) and have decided that having a baseball team is part of that.

From this: How DeSantis Is Using Sports to Hijack a Florida College
Wilson also reports that New College will enroll 70 freshman baseball players under scholarship. The University of Florida, a Division 1 powerhouse with a student population 90 times larger than New College, has 37 baseball players on scholarship in total. Despite grades and test scores that lag badly behind other students on campus, this new crop of student athletes at New College have disproportionately received merit-based scholarships from admissions. Of the 179 incoming students awarded the $10,000 per year “presidential honors scholarship,” 84 were student athletes.
Jeb Lund (aka @mobute on twitter) is an graduate of New University.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:08 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:20 am I'll start with this simple one...

To circle back on this one, I think he was under a lot of stress at the time due to his brother. So it was a defense mechanism.
He's been doing this for years preceding his what happened to his brother.
blundercrush wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:24 pm I cannot stand stugotz or most of the main show regulars. Lebatard himself is fine now that he's getting past his mental stuff a little bit. Will watch PTFO if certain people are on. Sarah Spain not on the ESPN leash is pretty funny. Katie Nolan and Mina Kimes obviously kill.
I think Dan's instincts for who creates good material are terrible. The last person added to the semi-regular "cast" who has added value was Jessica Smetana.

Pablo Torre is excellent at a few things: talking non-stop, interrupting the answer when he finally gets around to asking his interview subject a question, trying really hard to be clever while his head is up his own ass, and laughing at his own jokes (many times before completing the joke).

Stugotz should have been fired well before I evert started listening. I understand you have to have a trained monkey who spits out sports media cliches as a mechanism for what they try to do, but his entire schtick is terrible and makes everyone there look stupidly incompetent.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

You don’t get the show.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:23 am You don’t get the show.
Then why bother trying to make any statements of consequence?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m just messing man. I definitely see a lot of truth in what you said. I should probably give you a better response Monday. Giff is mainline heroin right now and I gotta be on my toes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I don't think I've ever seen this show with the volume on. It used to be on at the gym and I never connected my headphones to the tv. I always had the impression that they were a bunch of clowns, just from the look of them. Like a morning zoo radio crew. I have no basis for any opinion, but have a strong dislike just watching them without knowing what they were saying. I think the name Stugotz played a big part in my aversion.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt