Not Just Lips and Assholes - The Hot Dog Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Not Just Lips and Assholes - The Hot Dog Thread

Post by Giff »

I like hot dogs more than I like to admit, tbh. I love the smell of them at baseball games. If there is a good coney to be had, I want it. Actually had one for lunch this weekend in Denton, TX, at a place called Dix. I got to make a funny joke about having Dix in my mouth! I hit up National when I went to Detroit and the waitress was impressed I didn't want a knife and fork. There's a local place that has been here forever called James Coney Island, but they're down to like three locations. I order one from Sonic anytime I get the e-mail they're $1.99 through the app. I don't care if they're all lips and assholes, or what you want to put on them, hot dogs are badass.

If you missed the Lunch thread and mister d's brilliant idea to start this thread, we are headed to Post Houston, a food court/office building/concert hall venue in what used to be Barbara Jordan Post Office to see their Xmas light display, and I'm finally trying YoYo's Hot Dogs. It's been a staple in Houston, but only open late at night by the bar spots close to Rice until they opened this one.

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: Not Just Lips and Assholes - The Hot Dog Thread

Post by govmentchedda »

Can we speak on all types of tubed meat here, or just hot dogs? Wanna make sure I'm following the rules.

Had a fantastic bratwurst at the Lambeau tailgate last weekend, but my buddy warned me off the in stadium brats and pointed me in the direction of the foot longs. Nothing set it apart from any other hot dog I've ever had, so it was merely a 10/10. Went mustard only, but I like to add diced onions.

Also, will there be t-shirts for this club? Regular meetings?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Post Houston looks incredible, and the food choices!!!! I'd love to hit up Rollin' Phatties (Pakistani paratha rolls), Elotex Cup (crazy looking elote dishes), the Nigerian place... hell, all of it looks great!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Yeah honestly am considering pivoting to something else now that I’m reading about YoYos expanding. Or maybe I just need to go get drunk with a bunch of nerds one night.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Hot dogs are an absolute comfort food for me. Just had some a few days ago from a small place. So good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:47 pm Can we speak on all types of tubed meat here, or just hot dogs? Wanna make sure I'm following the rules.

Had a fantastic bratwurst at the Lambeau tailgate last weekend, but my buddy warned me off the in stadium brats and pointed me in the direction of the foot longs. Nothing set it apart from any other hot dog I've ever had, so it was merely a 10/10. Went mustard only, but I like to add diced onions.

Also, will there be t-shirts for this club? Regular meetings?
Anything you put in a hot dog bun.

My first brat was at a tailgate at Lambeau in 1995. Also my first Miller High Life (and first beer in public that my Dad told me I could have).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:53 pm Hot dogs are an absolute comfort food for me. Just had some a few days ago from a small place. So good.
Shit. Jersey prides itself on hot dogs, could have taken you some places.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Giff wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:54 pm Anything you put in a hot dog bun.
A HS friend of mine might prove the exception to this rule.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Nick the Dick?

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
A_B wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:53 pm Hot dogs are an absolute comfort food for me. Just had some a few days ago from a small place. So good.
Rutt's Hut? When I worked in Clifton, my secretary talked this place up as the greatest thing ever. Little shack serving hotdogs and burgers, I'd guess they last updated the place in the early 50s. Take a cheap grocery store hot dog, boil it in a deep fryer, stick it in a cheap bun and add off-brand ketchup. Amazing! I guess it requires the nostalgia of going as a little kid or something. Burgers were a half step up from White Castle. Can't remember the last time I ate a hot dog, but if I had an option for something like Giff posted, I'd be all-in.

Despite spending a lot of time in Coney Island as a kid (paternal Grandmother lived close and my maternal Grandfather owned a bodega there when my mother was a kid), I'd never heard of a Coney Island hot dog before the Swamp. I feel like Brian mentioned them years ago and I had to look it up. Still not sure if it is different than a chili dog.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 5:57 pm
We had some! From the butcher.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Hot dog place was closed so I’m having hot honey walnut shrimp from a Filipino place.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ah shrimp, the assholes of the sea.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I may have mentioned this before, but when the Talking Heads went to RISDY, they worked at the New York System in PVD like 8 minutes down the road from me. In the Once in a Lifetime video when Byrne is doing that thing where he karate chops his left arm with his right hand, he's pretending to slap the meat sauce on the weiners.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m glad Syb said it first … all the famous NJ hot dog places I’ve been to are mediocre and if served as is out of a new looking storefront, they wouldn’t last a year.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

At the Bolts game last night, I lamented the shit food options at Amalie this year. We used to have a Portillo's on the third level with excellent Chicago dogs and beef sandwiches. The only stand alone Portillo's around here are at least 30 minutes away, which never seems close enough to travel for fast food.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Some of you NJ guys have never had a Jimmy Buff's Italian combo (preferably the West Orange location) while drunk enough to truly appreciate it and young enough to not worry about what you're eating.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:20 pm Some of you NJ guys have never had a Jimmy Buff's Italian combo (preferably the West Orange location) while drunk enough to truly appreciate it and young enough to not worry about what you're eating.
Ha, I was going to reply to D that I never went to the Jimmy Buffs on 22 before it closed. Everyone in town was freaking out when they announced they were closing and told me I need to try an Italian Dog. Meh. That location has been cursed, so many places open and close there. Great BBQ place, but the owners had a fight and split up. Great Sri Lankan place, but apparently I’m the only white guy eating Sri Lankan food. Owners daughter was always working there and gorgeous. Now there is a dispensary set to open, right down the road from my favorite dispensary.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:07 pm Nick the Dick?

Man I loved that movie. Haven't seen it in decades though.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'll still live and die by Sonoran Hot Dogs. They're amazing to me.

Giff, did you like them when we went to BK's?

For the uninitiated:

https://tucsonfoodie.com/guides/best-so ... gs-tucson/
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

You know it!

Headed to the brewery tonight and hoping there's a food truck with some sort of hot dog there. I was all ready to be sucking on a chili dog outside the tastee freeze last night and now I'm really craving one!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:20 pm Some of you NJ guys have never had a Jimmy Buff's Italian combo (preferably the West Orange location) while drunk enough to truly appreciate it and young enough to not worry about what you're eating.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

rass wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:14 am
She ain’t lyin’.