2024 (or is it 2023 because that's what most of the season was?) NFL Divisional Round

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Re: 2024 (or is it 2023 because that's what most of the season was?) NFL Divisional Round

Post by EdRomero »

MaxWebster wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:42 am Also i'm totally simplifying it i realize as one who really isn't a *football fan* but if there's even an average quarterback behind center for the Bills this year do they go....what, 5-11? Maybe??
Yes.....but the wrecklessness with the ball sometimes would drive me crazy, and he did miss Diggs at the end of the game in the end zone, but I would take him in a second for my team.

Also, the tight end play this weekend was so good, and I'm thinking about Buffalo and Detroit guys, not the ones we already know about, and Mark Andrews is coming back too?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2024 (or is it 2023 because that's what most of the season was?) NFL Divisional Round

Post by bfj »

I would love to see him come back this season, but not at the risk of injuring himself again. He did practice for most of last week though. Isaiah Likely has been a great fill in for Andrews. He’s made some great catches and gets a lot of YAC.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:30 am Seeing a lot of Bills fans on my feed saying Allen is the problem and that seems exceptionally inaccurate at best and insane at worst.
Let's trade Allen for Zach Wilson and see what happens. Allen is a gunslinger and makes a lot of dangerous throws. Sometimes it works and he make incredible plays, but that comes with a high INT rate. But what he adds with his running makes him top tier. Since I've had Allen on my keeper fantasy team for the last 4 years, I've watched a ton of Buffalo games with a critical eye on Allen. He definitely makes some bad throws, but I also feel like he's had an unusual number of drops from his receivers. Maybe it's because he guns in short passes. And how the hell did Diggs drop that deep pass? Diggs has been awful or invisible for most of the second half of the season.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:17 pmThe Ravens famously won a Super Bowl with a murderous LB and the Lions last playoff win before last Sunday was literally before the Internet existed. Congrats on the win but get over it.
The Lions hired an accused rapist as head coach pretty recently, no?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:58 am I forgot to say congrats Bronto. Great win. See you next week!
Seriously good luck in the title game. I’m tired of seeing the Chiefs win the AFC.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:05 am
brian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:30 am Seeing a lot of Bills fans on my feed saying Allen is the problem and that seems exceptionally inaccurate at best and insane at worst.
Let's trade Allen for Zach Wilson and see what happens. Allen is a gunslinger and makes a lot of dangerous throws. Sometimes it works and he make incredible plays, but that comes with a high INT rate. But what he adds with his running makes him top tier. Since I've had Allen on my keeper fantasy team for the last 4 years, I've watched a ton of Buffalo games with a critical eye on Allen. He definitely makes some bad throws, but I also feel like he's had an unusual number of drops from his receivers. Maybe it's because he guns in short passes. And how the hell did Diggs drop that deep pass? Diggs has been awful or invisible for most of the second half of the season.
Bunch of morons. Indoctrinated by the pre-game hype that made it look like it was a two-man event. Probably all of them are too young to even remember Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel or JP Losman.

The Bills let Allen down last night. Like the previous losses to the Chiefs in the playoffs, Allen put in an MVP-calibre performance. And as gut wrenching as the new wide right was, that fake punt should have led to a Chiefs TD and that would have been all she wrote.

A truly idiotic play call - a safety who is only on the team because his survival is a feel good story running a play that the team has never run before late in a playoff game? I think McDermott is a solid coach, but that was Hue Jackson-level stupidity.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 am
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:05 am
Bunch of morons. Indoctrinated by the pre-game hype that made it look like it was a two-man event. Probably all of them are too young to even remember Rob Johnson, Trent Edwards, EJ Manuel or JP Losman.
Man, I miss those guys!
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 amThe Bills let Allen down last night. Like the previous losses to the Chiefs in the playoffs, Allen put in an MVP-calibre performance. And as gut wrenching as the new wide right was, that fake punt should have led to a Chiefs TD and that would have been all she wrote.

A truly idiotic play call - a safety who is only on the team because his survival is a feel good story running a play that the team has never run before late in a playoff game? I think McDermott is a solid coach, but that was Hue Jackson-level stupidity.
Especially with a gimpy punter. That fake didn't surprise anyone.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

brian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:01 am
bfj wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:58 am I forgot to say congrats Bronto. Great win. See you next week!
Seriously good luck in the title game. I’m tired of seeing the Chiefs win the AFC.
Seriously, and I mean it. Same to you also. This Lions team is a lot of fun to watch.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:33 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:25 amThe Bills let Allen down last night. Like the previous losses to the Chiefs in the playoffs, Allen put in an MVP-calibre performance. And as gut wrenching as the new wide right was, that fake punt should have led to a Chiefs TD and that would have been all she wrote.

Especially with a gimpy punter. That fake didn't surprise anyone.
I stayed in blackout and only watched it last night and the 2nd half today. The fake punt was a call on the field as the Chiefs only had ten men. At least according to the announcers.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Marcus Mariotta and Carson Wentz are low-cost replacement options they could try out!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Aaron Schatz has James Cook and Stefan Diggs as the worst RB and WR/TE, respectively, by DYAR in the divisional round.

Allen was second among QBs, behind the guy you think he was behind.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:19 pm
The Sybian wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:11 pm
bfj wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:41 pm Wide right. Brutal.
I was confident that if that went in, the Chiefs were scoring anyways.
this is kinda where I was at. as soon as the third down pass fell incomplete - with the time on the clock and the situation, I figured the Chiefs were getting a field goal to win if not a TD

this is controversial, but Josh Allen was playing a perfect game through the first three quarters and his team was down three basically as soon as the fourth quarter started. I had a feeling the game was gonna get dumb in the fourth (like last year's AFC title game) and it did, but Allen was so freaking good through the first 45 minutes and was negated because of the chunk plays the Chiefs offense was getting.
I mean he pretty much just threw screens for three quarters. To say he is the issue is nonsense but I definitely would not call that game perfection.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

then maybe the better term is mistake-free. he was 19-of-25 for 142 and a TD and had 9 carries for 54 and 2 before the Chiefs took the lead for good.

and yeah, he was checking it down and throwing behind the LOS a lot. it felt like a concerted effort by the Chiefs to not get beat deep and make Buffalo sustain drives. And Allen was excelling at it until that fourth quarter when he was 7-of-14 for 44 yards (and of course had the deep ball go through Diggs' hands)
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Brontoburglar wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:36 pm then maybe the better term is mistake-free. he was 19-of-25 for 142 and a TD and had 9 carries for 54 and 2 before the Chiefs took the lead for good.

and yeah, he was checking it down and throwing behind the LOS a lot. it felt like a concerted effort by the Chiefs to not get beat deep and make Buffalo sustain drives. And Allen was excelling at it until that fourth quarter when he was 7-of-14 for 44 yards (and of course had the deep ball go through Diggs' hands)
You know - they've been talking about the Chiefs defence being good for a few years now, but never thought it was above average until this season.

Will be fascinating to see two great Ds goind against two great QBs in Baltimore
Canadian International
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Jesus, Pru... that last sentence is asking for it.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:32 am Jesus, Pru... that last sentence is asking for it.
I'm a broken man.
Canadian International
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Detroit is America’s team. Lions/Bucs was the most watched divisional round game since 1994 a week after Lions/Rams was most-watched prime time TV event since last year’s Super Bowl.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:03 pm Detroit is America’s team. Lions/Bucs was the most watched divisional round game since 1994 a week after Lions/Rams was most-watched prime time TV event since last year’s Super Bowl.
And then, the game after it averaged ten million more viewers to become the most watched divisional round game ever.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Swifties.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://nypost.com/2024/01/22/news/3-ka ... 9NexVeFD0g

Was gonna make a ratings joke... Thought better of it.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:54 pm Swifties.
If KC makes the Super Bowl, the Usher halftime show will be the most-watched show in (whatever time period). The difference between the halftime show and the game's average is usually about three million people.

And she will completely upstage the halftime show, just by her presence.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:32 am Jesus, Pru... that last sentence is asking for it.
Sometimes you have to take a pitch.