Random Politics

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Random Politics

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:00 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:43 pm The two idiots on the right look like they just got a whiff of a wicked fart from the idiot on the left.
You just reminded me of the time when I was in my late 20s living in Fells Point (bar district in a cobblestone section of Baltimore on the water). I had been out partying the night before and ate some Indian food down the street at some restaurant I cannot remember the name of. I walked into Fletchers to get a seat at the bar to watch some football. It was probably around noon. Also, I was like the only customer in the place. So I proceed to bust some serious ass. Not loud, but just a long, silent fart. Brutal. I got up to take a leak (and really, leave the scene). I came back a few minutes later and there's like a half dozen guys in the bar yelling at each other about who farted.

I just said..."Dude..."
Ha! Too funny.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ah, the good old days when I thought Eric Cantor was a horrible POS and a danger to all I believe in.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

This Ken Paxton shit had my blood boiling. I had to delete a pretty profane FB post about it cause I’m trying to stay politics free on there. But mutherfucker I hate that piece of shit so much. I hope is death is captured on video so I can email my brother to it.

I don’t mean that but as someone who officially has a daughter who can get pregnant now, this is pissing me off more than usual.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I had three anxiety attacks watching this...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:14 pm I had three anxiety attacks watching this...

First they cite Santa as evidence, what’s next, citing Jesus? The Bible?
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Even more corruption from Clarence Thomas...

A “Delicate Matter”: Clarence Thomas’ Private Complaints About Money Sparked Fears He Would Resign
In early January 2000, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was at a five-star beach resort in Sea Island, Georgia, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

After almost a decade on the court, Thomas had grown frustrated with his financial situation, according to friends. He had recently started raising his young grandnephew, and Thomas’ wife was soliciting advice on how to handle the new expenses. The month before, the justice had borrowed $267,000 from a friend to buy a high-end RV.

At the resort, Thomas gave a speech at an off-the-record conservative conference. He found himself seated next to a Republican member of Congress on the flight home. The two men talked, and the lawmaker left the conversation worried that Thomas might resign.

Congress should give Supreme Court justices a pay raise, Thomas told him. If lawmakers didn’t act, “one or more justices will leave soon” — maybe in the next year.
This is astounding...
George Priest, a Yale Law School professor who has vacationed with Thomas and Crow, told ProPublica he believes Crow’s generosity was not intended to influence Thomas’ views but rather to make his life more comfortable. “He views Thomas as a Supreme Court justice as having a limited salary,” Priest said. “So he provides benefits for him.”
I'm not a super-genius lawyer like this guy....but that's pretty much the text book definition of influence buying.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe its true, but that seems to generously paint Thomas as too stupid to know he was asking for corruption. Like if he didn't explicitly say "give me money" that wasn't intent of his oversharing.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:06 pm Even more corruption from Clarence Thomas...

A “Delicate Matter”: Clarence Thomas’ Private Complaints About Money Sparked Fears He Would Resign
In early January 2000, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas was at a five-star beach resort in Sea Island, Georgia, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

After almost a decade on the court, Thomas had grown frustrated with his financial situation, according to friends. He had recently started raising his young grandnephew, and Thomas’ wife was soliciting advice on how to handle the new expenses. The month before, the justice had borrowed $267,000 from a friend to buy a high-end RV.

At the resort, Thomas gave a speech at an off-the-record conservative conference. He found himself seated next to a Republican member of Congress on the flight home. The two men talked, and the lawmaker left the conversation worried that Thomas might resign.

Congress should give Supreme Court justices a pay raise, Thomas told him. If lawmakers didn’t act, “one or more justices will leave soon” — maybe in the next year.
This is astounding...
George Priest, a Yale Law School professor who has vacationed with Thomas and Crow, told ProPublica he believes Crow’s generosity was not intended to influence Thomas’ views but rather to make his life more comfortable. “He views Thomas as a Supreme Court justice as having a limited salary,” Priest said. “So he provides benefits for him.”
I'm not a super-genius lawyer like this guy....but that's pretty much the text book definition of influence buying.
I think this "paying to keep him on the Court" angle should be getting more attention in the straight news media. Any focus on whether a particular briber had "business before the Court" misses the point. What's happening is that he's accepting bribes to stay on the court, not to issue a particular ruling in a particular matter.

The fact that any judges have accepted gifts like this is disgusting. I understand that RBG also benefited from free trips, etc.

I have no problem paying Supreme Court Justices more money, and giving them generous travel allowances. But for fuck's sake, they should not be accepting gifts from anyone outside of their immediate family.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:24 pm
I think this "paying to keep him on the Court" angle should be getting more attention in the straight news media. Any focus on whether a particular briber had "business before the Court" misses the point. What's happening is that he's accepting bribes to stay on the court, not to issue a particular ruling in a particular matter.

The fact that any judges have accepted gifts like this is disgusting. I understand that RBG also benefited from free trips, etc.

I have no problem paying Supreme Court Justices more money, and giving them generous travel allowances. But for fuck's sake, they should not be accepting gifts from anyone outside of their immediate family.
100% agree. Yet Biden is facing an impeachment inquiry because his son paid back a $4,000 loan and Republican's response to Thomas accepting expensive vacations and an RV from Crow as "come on, they are friends!"
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Anyone who has been mayor of New York in my memory has been a little off, but man, Eric Adams is particularly fucking strange.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Like, dude. That sucks, but what did you expect? Also, all I can think of is this comedy skit. (Yes, that's Donald Glover.)

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:48 am

Like, dude. That sucks, but what did you expect? Also, all I can think of is this comedy skit. (Yes, that's Donald Glover.)

I’ve since learned long ago to be wary of giving folks in the public eye the benefit of the doubt, but got damn is this a case of the gambler’s fallacy or sunk cost fallacy or what?
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Johnnie wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:48 am

Like, dude. That sucks, but what did you expect?
And it appears to me that this mess of self-loathing and magical thinking did in fact back down.
Canadian International
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

That's the beauty of Trump's rhetoric, he completely lacks any consistency, values or beliefs, so you can find a clip of him saying the exact opposite of what he usually says. Sure, he has condemned white nationalism and said some things that made him seem LGBTQ-tolerant once or twice. For me, I'm more swayed by his frequent pandering to white nationalists, Nazi's, homophobes and racists along with his promises of policies to discriminate and ban an entire religion and constant dog whistles including using Hitler's actual propaganda and terminology... but yes, he did on very rare one-offs say things that out of context might seem like he supports LGBTQ rights. And he often says "the blacks love me!" so he must be doing something right. He wouldn't boast about something without empirical evidence to support it, right?

And I made the mistake of reading replies. Usual crap of Democrats are more racist because prior to 1960, racists were Democrats and Republicans freed the slaves. And the people yelling at this guy were obviously FBI agents and Liberals making false flag attacks to make Republicans look bad.
-Pruitt
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Police have recovered second Ziegler sex video, sources say
A sex video involving Sarasota School Board member Bridget Ziegler and an unidentified woman has been recovered by police as part of the ongoing criminal investigation of a rape allegation made against Bridget’s husband, Christian Ziegler, sources close to the investigation have told the Florida Trident.
When you are basing your entire political career on being anti-gay, recording a same-sex encounter, and keeping it on your phone, probably isn't a wise move.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:17 pm Police have recovered second Ziegler sex video, sources say
A sex video involving Sarasota School Board member Bridget Ziegler and an unidentified woman has been recovered by police as part of the ongoing criminal investigation of a rape allegation made against Bridget’s husband, Christian Ziegler, sources close to the investigation have told the Florida Trident.
When you are basing your entire political career on being anti-gay, recording a same-sex encounter, and keeping it on your phone, probably isn't a wise move.
Her whole deal is "don't say gay," she never said not to do gay.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:17 pm Police have recovered second Ziegler sex video, sources say
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It should be sad but it’s just funny that these idiots have to tie themselves in rhetorical knots because admitting that slavery was bad will offend their base.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I can’t figure out how to imbed Bluesky posts, so this will have to do:

From anidealhusbando.bsky.social
Republicans have this bizarre quadruple-think where they minimize the role of slavery in the Civil War, while taking credit for ending slavery, while comparing everything they dislike to slavery, while insisting slavery wasn’t really all that bad.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Rep. Lauren Boebert switches Colo. districts, avoiding likely tough rematch
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) is switching congressional districts ahead of the 2024 election, a surprise move that means she will avoid a likely rematch against the Democrat she narrowly beat last year.

The decision gives Republicans a stronger chance at holding on to Colorado’s 3rd District as they fight to keep their House majority next year and lets the hard-right firebrand run in a more conservative area, the 4th District on the opposite side of the state.
Drives me crazy when congresspeople don't even live in the districts they want to represent. And if there's any justice in the world, the Dem in her old district wins, and she loses in the Republican primary in her new district.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Maybe she can offer handies for votes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:01 pm Rep. Lauren Boebert switches Colo. districts, avoiding likely tough rematch
Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) is switching congressional districts ahead of the 2024 election, a surprise move that means she will avoid a likely rematch against the Democrat she narrowly beat last year.

The decision gives Republicans a stronger chance at holding on to Colorado’s 3rd District as they fight to keep their House majority next year and lets the hard-right firebrand run in a more conservative area, the 4th District on the opposite side of the state.
Drives me crazy when congresspeople don't even live in the districts they want to represent. And if there's any justice in the world, the Dem in her old district wins, and she loses in the Republican primary in her new district.
This is an interesting gamble. It’s maybe less likely this wins this primary than the general would have been in her previous district but I’m sure actually being in Congress is too much work for such a lazy whore and being able to bitch on Fox News a few hours a week for the same money is a better gig.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:37 pm I can’t figure out how to imbed Bluesky posts, so this will have to do:

From anidealhusbando.bsky.social
Republicans have this bizarre quadruple-think where they minimize the role of slavery in the Civil War, while taking credit for ending slavery, while comparing everything they dislike to slavery, while insisting slavery wasn’t really all that bad.
And the fact that it was a brown woman who's anglicized herself in this instance makes it even better.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:01 pm Rep. Lauren Boebert switches Colo. districts, avoiding likely tough rematch

The second part is likely to happen, but probably not the first. It's a pretty strong R district; the Dems only had a chance because Boebert was running.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:10 pm
mister d wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:59 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:22 pmThe folks who want to blame him for Southwest's pilot scheduling programs are mostly people who oppose him and are looking for things to blame him for.
Would you say the people defending him are mostly people who support him and tout the role he's in while also claimed the role has no enactable power?
I think there are many people who don't really care that much about Buttigieg one way or the other but who can also point out bullshit bad faith criticisms when they see them.
Circling back a year later, were the people criticizing Buttigieg wrong or were the people claiming it wasn't a policy-solvable issue wrong?

Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

God I wish Pete B was in my top 10 political worries list.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Forgot this thread was only for the absolute top tier serious stuff.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Hero. I need to be given Scottish citizenship so I can properly back her for higher political office for this proper wordsmith.

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:23 am Hero. I need to be given Scottish citizenship so I can properly back her for higher political office for this proper wordsmith.

Those go on the pantheon of insults. God damn I love Scotland!
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Marzipan is delicious. And useful. No matter the shape.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Well, not useful for all purposes.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

"Marzipan Dildo" is a great band name.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:44 pm Well, not useful for all purposes.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

lol - I stand fully corrected. That’s awesome.