NFL Conference Championships week

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Re: NFL Conference Championships week

Post by EdRomero »

That was an inch away from being one of the greatest punts ever.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:02 pm Josh Reynolds should probably book his own flight home.
He’s been really reliable all season. Totally out of character.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If the Niners pull this off I’m rooting for Kansas City. Because fuck Purdy, that’s why.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don’t understand the hate for Purdy.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

These gambles are stupid. Both of them.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I hate the decision to go for it when behind less.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Disagree on the gambles. I think if there’s a talent disparity like this and you they’re in the road, I feel like they should take more chances. They just didn’t work out.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:26 pm I hate the decision to go for it when behind less.
Yeah, I don't like that choice
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

As far as Lions losses go this is not great but at least I had the whole second half to come to terms with it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

dammit
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:27 pm Disagree on the gambles. I think if there’s a talent disparity like this and you they’re in the road, I feel like they should take more chances. They just didn’t work out.
I disagree with this. For one the talent is pretty even (other than McCaffery who is unreal), but I hate when teams chase points when they're the underdogs. Take the sure points and stay alive. But if they don't trust the kicker, then I guess it makes more sense.

Also, Greg Olsen is good at his job
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:21 pm I don’t understand the hate for Purdy.
It’s not Purdy necessarily. He landed in a great situation and he’s making the most of the opportunity. It’s more that we had 20+ years of “Brady was drafted 199th!” and I could go a year without the narrative of guys who had all the odds stacked against him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:27 pm Disagree on the gambles. I think if there’s a talent disparity like this and you they’re in the road, I feel like they should take more chances. They just didn’t work out.
Yeah Campbell isn’t going to change who he is. First one they probably should have kicked. Second one was an OK decision but bad playcall.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:32 pm
I disagree with this. For one the talent is pretty even (other than McCaffery who is unreal), but I hate when teams chase points when they're the underdogs. Take the sure points and stay alive. But if they don't trust the kicker, then I guess it makes more sense.

He's one of my favorites, and IMO is lightyears better than Romo.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Felt like Campbell went too meathead with the call to not kick.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EdRomero wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:32 pm

I was looking at it being a 48 yard kick on the road. Going for it had a lower chance of success but higher reward, with an equal amount of downside risk. I can see it going either way.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:35 pm Felt like Campbell went too meathead with the call to not kick.
They’ve gone for it from that yard line, down and distance all season. SF just made plays to stop them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Very entertaining game. Detroit is good. They’ll be back.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Lions have so much talent. SF being more experienced may have helped, along with some luck, especially on the 50 yard completion (although do they pick up the flag if the catch isn't made?) Niners are a strange team; so many big names but they looked bad for pretty big portions of both playoff games.

I feel like experience helped the Chiefs too, and Andy Reid coached circles around Harbaugh.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'll be rooting for the Niners. It's my wife's team and I like McCaffrey too.

I'm just so bummed that Detroit isn't going. It would've been awesome to see them in the Super Bowl.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:35 pm Felt like Campbell went too meathead with the call to not kick.
Isn't the meathead call to kick it though?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the worst decision was running on third down before the TD and calling timeout though
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Beto O’Dorke.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

That was a bad decision. Keeping all three timeouts would’ve been a better chance.

Sorry Brian. This reminded me personally of when my guys lost a tough one against the Rams in St.Louis while leading on the road. Coach in his 3rd year, going up against a star-laden offense, led at halftime before the gears started turning. For your sake I hope the wait is shorter than what I had to go through.

I like the history involved. 8th NFC title ties San Fran with Dallas for most in the conference. A Chiefs win puts the in the group with the Giants and Green Bay with 4. A 49ers win gives them their 6th to tie them with Pittsburgh and New England most all-time with 6. This is the 7th repeat pairing (a couple more and we got a good SwampCrash question). Three had the same win both times, twice had a split in the 2nd meeting, and the 6th had the franchise that lost the first two come back and win in Round 3.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Sorry Brian....
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:56 pm
Kicking it would've been an old school move. Meathead would be not learning from previous mistakes.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Honestly I would have been OK losing in the Super Bowl. I just want to see the Lions play in a Super Bowl before I die.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:08 pm
Kicking it would've been an old school move. Meathead would be not learning from previous mistakes.
depends on which "not kick" call we're referring to (I'm referring to both) and the reactive -- possibly "meathead call" in this case -- would be to kick the second time because the outcome of the first try wasn't optimal
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I get that a lot has to break right for a team to make it this far, but this Lions team is stacked and apparently they love playing for Campbell. Oh, and the NFC isn't exactly full of potential juggernauts like the AFC is.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Doesn’t “old school” = “meathead”?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:11 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:08 pm
depends on which "not kick" call we're referring to (I'm referring to both) and the reactive -- possibly "meathead call" in this case -- would be to kick the second time because the outcome of the first try wasn't optimal
I'm specifically referring to both as well. The FG to go up three scores is what a smart coach does. Campbell went the other way cuz that's what they've done all year. The second one - I get the logic of a road team playing for the lead, but I liked taking the points there as well.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:13 pm Doesn’t “old school” = “meathead”?
Not necessarily. Case in point: Andy Reid went old school in the 2nd half v the Ravens since they were up 10 and dominating TOP. Very old school..
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

bfj wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:11 pm Congrats Bronto. Stupid penalties. Best running team in the league ran the ball 16 times. Frustrating.
This was one of the dumbest gameplans I have seen in some time. Defense bringing the house, so let's run three routes all 20 yards down field.

Defensively I'm not sure if they adjusted or if Andy Reid just decided to start running clock with 30 minutes left in the game. Weird all around.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:58 pm the worst decision was running on third down before the TD and calling timeout though
I read that Campbell has evolved and I believe it, and that is probably the number 1 good sign for your coaching staff.

But damned if every time I really watch this team they aren't doing baffling shit.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Thinking about this with Andy Reid. How many other guys have a viable claim as the best coach for two different franchise’s history? Tony Dungy? Weeb Ewbank? Don Shula? Maybe Bruce Arians? And why do the Colts keep coming up?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Dan Reeves possibly though I guess it's easy to argue Shanahan was better in Denver.

You could maybe make an argument for Dick Vermeil? Probably not but maybe.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:04 am
bfj wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:11 pm Congrats Bronto. Stupid penalties. Best running team in the league ran the ball 16 times. Frustrating.
This was one of the dumbest gameplans I have seen in some time. Defense bringing the house, so let's run three routes all 20 yards down field.

Defensively I'm not sure if they adjusted or if Andy Reid just decided to start running clock with 30 minutes left in the game. Weird all around.
Co-sign. I am so confused - best rushing offense in NFL by FAR and they only had six carries all game for Edwards and Hill. It is absolutely perplexing.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Guys, I highly doubt the Ravens gameplan was to not run the ball. Finite amount of plays in a football game and that number tends to get smaller when you don't have the ball.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:08 am
Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:58 pm the worst decision was running on third down before the TD and calling timeout though
I read that Campbell has evolved and I believe it, and that is probably the number 1 good sign for your coaching staff.

But damned if every time I really watch this team they aren't doing baffling shit.
That looked like a playcall by someone so convinced of the good outcome they didn't factor in how bad the bad outcome would be.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:03 am Guys, I highly doubt the Ravens gameplan was to not run the ball. Finite amount of plays in a football game and that number tends to get smaller when you don't have the ball.
SIX carries by running backs. Did they only have 15 total offensive plays?