Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Old Timey Music for Howard and DC

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 1:28 am

a fringe Canterbury Scene band. Man I dig that UK jazzy rock, but as Max told me, it's me and about 5000 middle-aged British men that know about this stuff.
It sounds a lot like Phish transitioning between songs, where the band members are all hinting at different songs while they decide what to go into next.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've been listening to Zappa's Hot Rats sessions box set. First Willie The Pimp as an instrumental is the fucking jam. Also, Shuggie Otis plays bass on Peaches en Regalia. Shuggie would later write Strawberry Letter 23 and the Brothers Johnson would make it a hit.

Shuggie's albums are great. Here's Inspiration Information from 1974.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Last night I was watching the oldest thing on my DVR, which was a PBS reairing of a concert with Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, and Antonio Carlos Jobim that I recorded about a year ago. And my God, could Ella Fitzgerald fucking sing.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The last few weeks I've been going back to The Pogues radio on Spotify. One artist who comes up frequently is Bob Dylan.

Okay. So what am I missing? Am I not appreciating Dylan because I'm not a boomer?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:18 am The last few weeks I've been going back to The Pogues radio on Spotify. One artist who comes up frequently is Bob Dylan.

Okay. So what am I missing? Am I not appreciating Dylan because I'm not a boomer?
Shane MacGowan is in the stratosphere of Dylan, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, et al. You know - the potent singer-songwriter types.
Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:31 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:18 am The last few weeks I've been going back to The Pogues radio on Spotify. One artist who comes up frequently is Bob Dylan.

Shane MacGowan is in the stratosphere of Dylan, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, et al. You know - the potent singer-songwriter types.
I meant what's more the deal with Dylan. I just don't understand the hype.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:34 am
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:31 am

I meant what's more the deal with Dylan. I just don't understand the hype.
The hype is that Dylan helped marry social conscience & commentary into popular music. He’s been a relic since the Wilburys though.
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:03 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:34 am I meant what's more the deal with Dylan. I just don't understand the hype.
The hype is that Dylan helped marry social conscience & commentary into popular music. He’s been a relic since the Wilburys though.
That's true. Also, back in his 1960s/1970s heyday, Dylan was considered (by far) the pre-eminent thinking lyricist in popular music. Not only did his songs have meaning, covers of his songs created chart success for tons of diverse artists - from Johnny Cash to Guns and Roses, (but most notably The Byrds). They didn't write article like this about anybody besides Dylan: The 80 greatest Dylan covers.

Maybe part of the reason of all the successful covers is that most of those artists had/were better singers than Dylan.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:53 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:34 am I meant what's more the deal with Dylan. I just don't understand the hype.
That's true. Also, back in his 1960s/1970s heyday, Dylan was considered (by far) the pre-eminent thinking lyricist in popular music. Not only did his songs have meaning, covers of his songs created chart success for tons of diverse artists - from Johnny Cash to Guns and Roses, (but most notably The Byrds). They didn't write article like this about anybody besides Dylan: The 80 greatest Dylan covers.

Maybe part of the reason of all the successful covers is that most of those artists had/were better singers than Dylan.
If Bob Dylan had the looks, charm and voice of say, a Loudon Wainwright? The sky would’ve been the limit for a guy who was already on top of the world anyway.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Is that a reverse way of saying "Bob Dylan should have been Bernie Taupin"?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:01 pm Is that a reverse way of saying "Bob Dylan should have been Bernie Taupin"?
No I’m saying if Bob Dylan had the superficial stuff like Loudon Wainwright the package would’ve been complete. Not that he wasn’t one of the greatest singer/songwriters of all time anyway (btw Wainwright was/is a legit protest singer/songwriter in his own right)..
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Since I was young, I got Dylan - why he was important to so many people and why he's a legend etc., etc...

It's just that other than a couple of albums and stray songs, I never liked listening to him.
Canadian International
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Blood On The Tracks is one of the best of all time.

This came up tonight, haven't listened to Steve in a bit, but damn I would have been a groupie in the day.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Jayzus, this was released 31 years ago today.

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:57 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:53 pm

If Bob Dylan had the looks, charm and voice of say, a Loudon Wainwright? The sky would’ve been the limit for a guy who was already on top of the world anyway.
Louden Wainwright was on a few episodes of MASH as Captain Calvin Spalding (the "singing surgeon").

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Loudon was the dad of the main character on Undeclared (the spiritual successor to Freaks and Geeks which even fewer people watched.)
TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Post by TankFarm2023 »

As an especially angry teenager back in the late-70s, the discovery of punk rock (and its offshoots) via the mighty, magnificent CFNY out of Brampton, Ontario was a god send (I spent pre-college years across the lake, in the northwestern-most town in NYS). Anyhow, without digressing too much, amongst the punk adjacent, new wave stuff was a favorite from Tonio K. called H-A-T-R-E-D. I tried using the following lyrics as my senior quote, but was denied the pleasure. I don't love the song so much anymore, but I'd probably get up and dance if I heard it in a bar after a bourbon or two.

Well, I wish I was as mellow, as for instance, Jackson Browne
But 'Fountain of Sorrow' my ass, motherfucker, I hope you wind up in the ground

Perhaps our Canadian friends have already pointed this out, but CFNY was using the tag, 'The Spirit of Radio' long before the Rush song.
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Rush2112 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:39 pm Jayzus, this was released 31 years ago today.

And this, perhaps the greatest album of all time, was released 25 years ago today.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Crazy timing... Foam Brewers makes a beer called Built to Spill, just learned this morning that it's named after a band.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:57 pm Crazy timing... Foam Brewers makes a beer called Built to Spill, just learned this morning that it's named after a band.
Very good beer, as for not knowing the band, guess you never listened to SwampRadio back in the day, eh?

(and an amazing amount of beers named after bands/lyrics. Ratio in Denver has a King of Carrot Flowers saison that's one of my favourites of the style, and the majority of their beers after indie or punk songs/bands, Knotted Root in Ned names the majority of their awesome beers after Phish and Dead tunes.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Out this way almost every beer with a music reference name is after 90s rap.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:42 pm Out this way almost every beer with a music reference name is after 90s rap.
Especially Twin Elephant.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Here’s a band I liked a lot in my youth, Artful Dodger. Singer sounds like Rod Stewart. You younger guys can check out the audience and see what your mom looked like in the late 70s.

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

absolutely - Neil Peart actually gave their song that title as a very specific tribute to CFNY
TankFarm2023 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:55 pm Perhaps our Canadian friends have already pointed this out, but CFNY was using the tag, 'The Spirit of Radio' long before the Rush song.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Really looking forward to this. I feel like I never don’t like Kinks songs, but I don’t know enough of them.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Kinks are awesome.

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

it wasn't until i discovered the late-60s Kinks that I got it - their mid/late 70s stuff just seemed a bit lame but the trio of Something Else...Village Green...Arthur - those are fantastic.

I was always a huge Who fan but looking objectively, their peak (~1968-73) was so painfully short (the Dwight Gooden of classic rock?) even if their skills were truly in how great of musicians they were.

Have often thought the ideal mashup would have been the Kinks writing material that The Who played c1969.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:19 pm

And this, perhaps the greatest album of all time, was released 25 years ago today.
Listening now, good stuff. I would have loved this when it came out. Still enjoying it now.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It was one of the many albums bapo sent to me nearly a couple decades ago.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Anyone seen any Bapo lately? We need a little more nostalgia in this here swamp.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

This album rips. Perfect soundtrack for doing mindless things at work on a snowy afternoon.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

At first, this seems like a happy little tune, but listening to the lyrics you get that it is darker - a love song from the point of view of an obsessive stalker…

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nothing ultimately life-changing, but I would love to fucking kick this day in its face and watch it fall into a gulley or meat grinder.

At least there's music...

Canadian International
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

In my time of dying - want nobody to mourn
All I want for you to do is take my body home
Well well well - So I can die easy
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Phil Manzenara Hits The Jackpot
"Who knew that I would earn more money from a short guitar riff that I wrote one evening on a sofa in front of the telly in 1978 than I ever earned in the entire 50 years as a member of Roxy Music?"
Canadian International