Presidential Election 2024

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

TankFarm2023
Jackie Treehorn

Re: Presidential Election 2024

Post by TankFarm2023 »

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I have to wonder what the GOP does if he loses in November. For the sake of clarity, let's assume the House and Senate remain red and blue, respectively. Do Mitch and Lindsey (and the billionaire donor class) gather their members and secretly decide they have to staunch the bleeding, and publicly disavow Trump? Or, cowards that they are, decide to wait and see if he does indeed get convicted, and let the law decide his fate? Does it matter if Biden narrowly retains his presidency, or if Trump loses bigly?

Would Trump try to run in '28 and how might the GOP respond?

As a side note: I just listened to Tim Miller interview Robbie Kaplan, the attorney who's defeated Trump three times now. Her description of the fraud/class action suit involving Trump and ACN is fascinating to this non-attorney. She's a brilliant mind, and a great story teller.
"Don't give me that Quaker in a titty bar look!"
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Until Trump is gone they capitulate to his whim because the base is wrapped around his micro-cock.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:09 pm Until Trump is gone they capitulate to his whim because the base is wrapped around his micro-cock.
It's a cult of personality.

Assholes like Vivek, DeSantis and the rest are sadly mistaken if they think they can take his place.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt IV wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:22 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:09 pm Until Trump is gone they capitulate to his whim because the base is wrapped around his micro-cock.
It's a cult of personality.

Assholes like Vivek, DeSantis and the rest are sadly mistaken if they think they can take his place.
They got no rizz. Trump is White Obama.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I don't know. Stalin was pretty successful without the personality of Lenin and his cult of personality. Now I have that song in my head.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

It’s because Trump is uniquely skilled in convincing mediocre white people that the cause of their failures in life isn’t their fault, but rather Blacks/immigrants/liberals/educated people/experts/the government/the Deep State. He’s lived that his entire life so he simply repeats his own life philosophy: all of my successes are due to me; all of my failures are due to someone else.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Let's see...women are already pissed at Republicans for trashing Roe...what can they do to win them back?

Trump Allies Pledge ‘Holy War’ Against Taylor Swift
Singer-songwriter Taylor Swift hasn’t even endorsed President Joe Biden for reelection yet. That hasn’t stopped members of MAGAland’s upper crust from plotting to declare — as one source close to Donald Trump calls it — a “holy war” on the pop mega-star, especially if she ends up publicly backing the Democrats in the 2024 election.

In recent weeks, the former president has told people in his orbit that no amount of A-list celebrity endorsements will save Biden. Trump has also privately claimed that he is “more popular” than Swift is and that he has more committed fans than she does, a person close to Trump and another source with knowledge of the matter tell Rolling Stone.

Last month, the source close to Trump adds, the ex-president commented to some confidants that it “obviously” made no sense that he was not named Time magazine’s 2023 Person of the Year — an honor that went to none other than Swift in December.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

My kids would definitely not behead me for Swift, so he might be right on the level of extreme devotion if nothing else.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tell me why Charlemagne Tha God is a better journalist than actual journalists in America.

Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Who's the sociopath at Instagram that decided to omit the time cursor from their videos?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:11 pm Who's the sociopath at Instagram that decided to omit the time cursor from their videos?
Or a volume control.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Biden wins South Carolina primary by 90+ points.

Maryanne Williamson finished second to Biden, btw.

Dean Phillips be like:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I mean 95 percent is some legit third-world election stuff. Either the SC Democratic Party is as legit as Turkmenistan or just fucking give it up already. Congrats on imolating your political career dude.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:43 pm I mean 95 percent is some legit third-world election stuff. Either the SC Democratic Party is as legit as Turkmenistan or just fucking give it up already. Congrats on imolating your political career dude.
I'm sure a state representative who is the CEO of a century-old distilling company, sold a gelato company to Unilever, and is the step-grandson of "Dear Abby" is worried about ruining his political career.

Sorry, I'd never heard of him before this primary cycle, so I just looked him up.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I thought he was in the House. Either way what an ass kicking.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Blew his chance at transportation secretary in waiting.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:33 am I thought he was in the House. Either way what an ass kicking.
He is. I knew I would phrase that incorrectly.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:20 pm Blew his chance at transportation secretary in waiting.
Where does ol' Pete go in Biden's potential 2nd term? Secretary of State? He speaks 8 languages. Put his ass to work with that.

Then BOOM. Is the first dude to declare for the 2028 primary season for democrats.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Another thing about Phillips...

In our current national climate, I can absolutely see a 55-year-old white male deciding it's worth throwing his hat into the ring for a quixotic campaign after thinking about the presidential line of succession.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Swipe through about takes from the Republican primary in Nevada being won by "None of these candidates):

(Not a spoiler or anything. The Instagram caption is just too damn long.)
[+] spoiler
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:53 am Swipe through about takes from the Republican primary in Nevada being won by "None of these candidates):

(Not a spoiler or anything. The Instagram caption is just too damn long.)
[+] spoiler
Her "popularity" is clearly just a media construct in order to get more stories from the campaign trail.
Canadian International
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

huh?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I know it shouldn't blow my mind, but it does when the special prosecutor says that "Joe Biden is a well meaning elderly man with a poor memory" and therefore won't have charges brought against him for the classified documents handling and it's wall to wall coverage headline news everywhere.

And yet, the alternative to Biden IS A FUCKING CHAOS AGENT WITH NO COHERENT THOUGHTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE EVER. The coverage of Trump doesn't have this level of scrutiny.

Why is it like this? This whole situation is a bad faith argument from the jump. And no one, but Twitter lefties, seen to be pointing this out.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:07 pm I know it shouldn't blow my mind, but it does when the special prosecutor says that "Joe Biden is a well meaning elderly man with a poor memory" and therefore won't have charges brought against him for the classified documents handling and it's wall to wall coverage headline news everywhere.

And yet, the alternative to Biden IS A FUCKING CHAOS AGENT WITH NO COHERENT THOUGHTS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE EVER. The coverage of Trump doesn't have this level of scrutiny.

Why is it like this? This whole situation is a bad faith argument from the jump. And no one, but Twitter lefties, seen to be pointing this out.
IMO Merrick the Meek needs to walk back the social commentary provided by Hur. That is what you would call a political hit.

Or, just fire Garland into the fucking sun.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:07 pm I know it shouldn't blow my mind, but it does when the special prosecutor says that "Joe Biden is a well meaning elderly man with a poor memory" and therefore won't have charges brought against him for the classified documents handling and it's wall to wall coverage headline news everywhere.

It's "...but her emails!..." redux.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Does this kind of news get any kind of play time in the states:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68266447

Trump is a scary wanker and this kind of rhetoric is mind blowing.

I read it as, if you don't pay your bills on time, your neighbour can kick your door down, kill you and your family and move in. Not only that, but he would be the rich neighbour, living up the street, calling people up to actively encourage them, and then sit back, watch and not doing anything about it - This sounds strangely familiar to what happened at the capital building...

What a massive cunt he is.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Tom 1860 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:10 am Does this kind of news get any kind of play time in the states:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68266447

Trump is a scary wanker and this kind of rhetoric is mind blowing.

I read it as, if you don't pay your bills on time, your neighbour can kick your door down, kill you and your family and move in. Not only that, but he would be the rich neighbour, living up the street, calling people up to actively encourage them, and then sit back, watch and not doing anything about it - This sounds strangely familiar to what happened at the capital building...

What a massive cunt he is.
He is a massive cunt, and it's not just that this news doesn't get play, it's that few care or know exactly how big a deal this would be.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

The thing I honestly find hardest about Trump is that if he does not get in this November, he'll keep running until he gets his 2nd term and/or put forward one of his fuckwit kids as a natural successor. Worst still, there will be millions upon millions of Americans, who think this kind of legacy would help them more than any other kind of political option...
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Tom 1860 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:27 am The thing I honestly find hardest about Trump is that if he does not get in this November, he'll keep running until he gets his 2nd term and/or put forward one of his fuckwit kids as a natural successor. Worst still, there will be millions upon millions of Americans, who think this kind of legacy would help them more than any other kind of political option...
The cult of personality doesn't really flow to his kids. No one takes either son seriously at all, and while they've tried with Ivanka, I don't think she passes anything more than a surface level inspection.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Well, hopefully this is the case. The difficulty is that so many septics think Trump is more than just fine, he is fantastic and anything he does is golden.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

What is nato? Americans batting about .440. What's a .44? Them things Americans got more of in their cars than the entirety of natos security force
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Trump suggests daughter-in-law and two others for RNC leadership
Former president Donald Trump said Monday night that he wants his daughter-in-law and one of his top aides to take prominent roles at the Republican National Committee as his team attempts to exert control over the party ahead of the November election.
Putting an unqualified family member in charge of something? What could possibly go wrong.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Last time he did it, Jared brought everlasting peace to Israel, right? Right?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EdRomero wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:20 pm Last time he did it, Jared brought everlasting peace to Israel, right? Right?
Middle East was solved until Biden ruined everything.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:12 pm
I mean they're not wrong.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm torn about Trump maintaining his quasi-cult leader, quasi-wannabe dictator role.

On one hand, he's increasingly unelectable and his track record down ticket is a proven loser.

On the other, at some point, you'd like some adults in the GOP to take back the reins so we aren't continuing down the path of one of two major parties being so anti-government and oppositional to common sense policies and strategies that we're somehow pro-Russia for no other reason than *fuck you, democrat party*... durrrrr....
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm pretty damn sure there are other reasons. Russia has been working to get leverage on American politicians (and probably media) for decades. I'm sure their work has borne fruit.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Shirley wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:35 am I'm pretty damn sure there are other reasons. Russia has been working to get leverage on American politicians (and probably media) for decades. I'm sure their work has borne fruit.
From 2018:

Seven GOP lawmakers make a misguided trip to Russia

They visited on the 4th of July.

Sen. Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.)
Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.)
Sen. John Hoeven (R-N.D.)
Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.)
Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.)
Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kan.)
Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.)

and Rep. Kay Granger (R-Texas).

McCain calling out Rand Paul in 2017:

Rand Paul delivered a handwritten note from Trump to Russia in August 2018.

So, yes. Definitely. One thing Mitt Romney was dead on about in 2011/12.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Yeah, I didn't want to get into the obvious stuff where Russia and its oligarchs (including Putin) are pretty brazenly bribing and coercing top politicians, most obviously Trump.

I'm more talking about the everyman, mouthbreathing morons who watch Fox and just buy the bullshit.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.