Racism

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnnie
The Dude

Re: Racism

Post by Johnnie »

Darn.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

More poetic would have been choked to death for 10 minutes but sometimes you get what you get.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
billy
Jackie Treehorn

Post by billy »

Definitely not shedding any tears for Chauvin, but I would prefer that prisons be a safe environment for everyone there (and maybe like 1/5 of the current prison population in general, but that's a separate issue) than to be able to relish my favorite bad guys getting messed up in there.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Bro. Ok. 4 things:

1) She picked a BLACKER name to go by.

2) She was a teacher...in Tucson??

3) She had a fuckin' OnlyFans!?!?

4) Holy shit Sean Mooney from the WWF is a news guy...in Tucson??
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rassism
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:03 pm4) Holy shit Sean Mooney from the WWF is a news guy...in Tucson??
He was a news guy before getting hired by the WWF.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The two OF pictures killed me. In the background of the first is a large framed picture of her book with "Rachel Dolezal" easily read. And then in the second, I think there's a large picture of a black Santa Claus.

She's amazing.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I just learned about Fred Hampton for the first time. Fucking America, man.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"The US gov't would never do that."
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:16 pm I just learned about Fred Hampton for the first time. Fucking America, man.
There’s a good (sad) documentary about him. I think I watched it on Kanopy. (Which is a free streaming channel that uses your library card).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I don’t know about the rest of you. I was in advanced-level classes all through high school, have plenty of higher education, and consider myself an avid reader of articles and magazines if not books. Yet I never even heard of the Tulsa Massacre until maybe 7 or 8 years ago, a couple years before it’s cited in Watchmen. (On the Stuff You Missed In History Class podcast, pretty accurate). And it’s not like I grew up in the South. I just think it was just overlooked instead of actively concealed, and that’s almost as bad in terms of teaching US History. This country, man. No wonder the GOP wants to keep kids in the dark.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:22 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:16 pm I just learned about Fred Hampton for the first time. Fucking America, man.
There’s a good (sad) documentary about him. I think I watched it on Kanopy. (Which is a free streaming channel that uses your library card).
Judas and the Black Messiah (6 Oscar nominations) with Daniel Kaluuya (Oscar winner) and LaKeith Stanfield (Oscar nominated) was outstanding and all about Fred Hampton's story.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And Fred Hampton is just one example. The FBI worked with local law enforcement to kill dozens of black leaders in the 60s.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff
Donny

Post by duff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:06 pm I don’t know about the rest of you. I was in advanced-level classes all through high school, have plenty of higher education, and consider myself an avid reader of articles and magazines if not books. Yet I never even heard of the Tulsa Massacre until maybe 7 or 8 years ago, a couple years before it’s cited in Watchmen. (On the Stuff You Missed In History Class podcast, pretty accurate). And it’s not like I grew up in the South. I just think it was just overlooked instead of actively concealed, and that’s almost as bad in terms of teaching US History. This country, man. No wonder the GOP wants to keep kids in the dark.
I was a fucking history major and never came close to discussing Tulsa, or Fred Hampton, or any other atrocities that our government committed against their own citizens. Name me white protester and sure as fuck we studied them. We barely touched Malcolm X. And this was in the late 90s.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm pretty sure I didn't believe the MOVE bombing as it was summarized when I first heard it. Just seemed impossible logistically and "couldn't have happened in my lifetime".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:06 pm I don’t know about the rest of you. I was in advanced-level classes all through high school, have plenty of higher education, and consider myself an avid reader of articles and magazines if not books. Yet I never even heard of the Tulsa Massacre until maybe 7 or 8 years ago, a couple years before it’s cited in Watchmen. (On the Stuff You Missed In History Class podcast, pretty accurate). And it’s not like I grew up in the South. I just think it was just overlooked instead of actively concealed, and that’s almost as bad in terms of teaching US History. This country, man. No wonder the GOP wants to keep kids in the dark.
Germany is a rare example of a country teaching the horrors committed in the country.

There's been controversies for decades about Japan's whitewashing the4 country's brutalization of China and Korea.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

duff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:29 pm
I was a fucking history major and never came close to discussing Tulsa, or Fred Hampton, or any other atrocities that our government committed against their own citizens. Name me white protester and sure as fuck we studied them. We barely touched Malcolm X. And this was in the late 90s.
Yup. Not a history major at all, but American history curricula in middle school and high school dictates only certain stuff be taught. Ancient history (Sumer! Greece! Sparta! Mesopotamia! Alexander the Great!), the major stuff that started the country/happened in the country politically and through war (except the war of 1812 & Korea), and WW1/WW2.

Slavery and Civil War stuff was touched on, but not thoroughly discussed enough unless you sought it out or had to read The Red Badge of Courage. Civil Rights and Jim Crow was distilled down to MLK/Rosa Parks and a picture of two water fountains. I didn't even know Malcolm X was a person until the Denzel Washington movie came out. And then I never heard about him again.

John Brown? Nat Turner? Harriet Tubman? Tulsa? The Black Panthers? The worldwide reach of slavery in other countries? The Wilmington Insurrection of 1898? Nothing.

(Edited to add the final topic & link)
Last edited by Johnnie on Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

We watched the whole (I think) Eyes on the Prize documentary in US History when I was in high school. It was so good and eye-opening. In hindsight, I wouldn't be surprised if some of those stories had featured parents of some of rich southern white kids I went to school with. If not directly, then indirectly at least.
Totally Kafkaesque
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i'm the exact same (history major etc etc). I think it was Watchmen that fking taught me about it and then i went down that terrifying rabbit hole.

I do think it was overlooked, but what does that really mean, right? I mean at some point mid-20th century if it's not in any books you can't blame someone for not knowing about it - e.g. my dad will fully cop to this but he was a HS history teacher, graduated university in the late 60s, and *he* was unaware of it. Someone who was involved with local curriculum so how fking deep did you have to go in like 1975 to actually discover the event?

Country is fkd, always has been and in general continues to *want* to remain ignorant; and it's ironic I'm reading this thread this morning as I've been reading a lot about blacklisted actor/boxer/activist/died early because of course he did Canada Lee of late - someone else I'd never heard of until a fking *Canadian* band sung about him in 2001.
duff wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:29 pm
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

To play devil's advocate here, the study of history, particularly in a high school US History class, by necessity has to skip or elide a lot of events. I mean, you're often going to cover 50 or more years in a couple of pages in a book. A lot of shit happens all the time!

For example, how many of you are aware of the Wilmington, NC massacre? It was as large or larger than the Tulsa massacre. I believe it is the only successful armed coup in American history, yet few outside of NC have heard of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_massacre

"Fun" sports fact associated with that - UNC's football stadium, Kenan Stadium, was originally named after one of the leaders of that violent coup. A few years ago, UNC quietly renamed the stadium after his son with the same name. So it's now William Kenan Jr. Stadium.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:22 pm
"The Murder of Fred Hampton" has also aired on Turner Classic Movies (I quoted this post to save space). Or at least that's what I recorded it on a couple years ago.

I need to watch it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

no, that's a fair point in general - it's very literally impossible to cover everything significant. I just think something as deeply impactful and directly related to so much uniquely American history as the Tulsa (and Wilmington!) massacre should have been on *someone's* radar - and I don't think it was anywhere in "mainstream" America. Which seems crazy to me.

It's this collective amnesia or whitewashing <pun> that is I think the most shocking aspect. Like we all (white america, I suppose) became aware of this nearly a century later and through popular culture. (art fucking MATTERS)

oddly I was aware of the Wilmington massacre - hadn't thought or heard about that in a long time though, and with a long meeting coming up in a half hour that i'm sure I won't have anything to add to I have a good link here to read - thanks Shirley! :)
Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 am To play devil's advocate here, the study of history, particularly in a high school US History class, by necessity has to skip or elide a lot of events. I mean, you're often going to cover 50 or more years in a couple of pages in a book. A lot of shit happens all the time!

For example, how many of you are aware of the Wilmington, NC massacre? It was as large or larger than the Tulsa massacre. I believe it is the only successful armed coup in American history, yet few outside of NC have heard of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_massacre

"Fun" sports fact associated with that - UNC's football stadium, Kenan Stadium, was originally named after one of the leaders of that violent coup. A few years ago, UNC quietly renamed the stadium after his son with the same name. So it's now William Kenan Jr. Stadium.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'll just drop this nugget here. I'm not slagging on the South, but there's an entire generation (probably more like 3) that were raised in these types of schools.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... education/
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:42 am I'll just drop this nugget here. I'm not slagging on the South, but there's an entire generation (probably more like 3) that were raised in these types of schools.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... education/
And it's not just the south and blacks. Our history classes generally completely gloss over the countless Native American massacres we committed over a few centuries. Might have a paragraph or two on the Trail of Tears, but we'd been slaughtering and stealing from the natives for a few hundred years by that point.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnnie upthread raised a good point. From my experience, my son who's in 7th grade is in all the advanced middle school levels (brag). His history for this year is half a year on Ancient Greece, and half a year on Ancient Rome. And while that's a fun period of history, that better be the only time moving forward through the rest of his schooling where history class touches those topics. Obviously I'm not a school administrator, but history in a public education setting, most especially American history, should probably focus on what had/has the greatest effect on life in America today.

At least there is some in my kids' district. I remember my daughter mentioned in 8th or 9th grade that it was too bad the 1876 election turned out how it did with the deal with the devil for the Presidency. And if my daughter, who is somewhat on the spectrum and is in standard level classes, was taught and understood that, at least there's some stressing of what I said.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 amFor example, how many of you are aware of the Wilmington, NC massacre? It was as large or larger than the Tulsa massacre. I believe it is the only successful armed coup in American history, yet few outside of NC have heard of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_massacre
Heh, I literally just learned about this for the first time yesterday, when I came across a tweet mentioning it.

Which kinda demonstrates Max's point above - it would have been very hard in 1975 to learn about something by just coming across a tweet about it.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:11 am And it's not just the south and blacks. Our history classes generally completely gloss over the countless Native American massacres we committed over a few centuries. Might have a paragraph or two on the Trail of Tears, but we'd been slaughtering and stealing from the natives for a few hundred years by that point.
One time when we visited a Navajo pueblo gift store in New Mexico, I bought this book. It starts with the time of Columbus, and then moves chronologically, all the way through to the end of the 19th century, documenting and telling the tales of major conflicts between whites and natives in America. After awhile, it dawns on you that every story ends the same, sad way.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:22 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:38 amFor example, how many of you are aware of the Wilmington, NC massacre? It was as large or larger than the Tulsa massacre. I believe it is the only successful armed coup in American history, yet few outside of NC have heard of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmington_massacre
Heh, I literally just learned about this for the first time yesterday, when I came across a tweet mentioning it.

Which kinda demonstrates Max's point above - it would have been very hard in 1975 to learn about something by just coming across a tweet about it.
You could've just read my post that day instead!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:11 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:11 am And it's not just the south and blacks. Our history classes generally completely gloss over the countless Native American massacres we committed over a few centuries. Might have a paragraph or two on the Trail of Tears, but we'd been slaughtering and stealing from the natives for a few hundred years by that point.
One time when we visited a Navajo pueblo gift store in New Mexico, I bought this book. It starts with the time of Columbus, and then moves chronologically, all the way through to the end of the 19th century, documenting and telling the tales of major conflicts between whites and natives in America. After awhile, it dawns on you that every story ends the same, sad way.

Of course, the story ended the same sad way when two Indian tribes competed for the same land too. And in the West at least, with a lot of slavery thrown in.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:25 am
Johnnie wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:03 pm4) Holy shit Sean Mooney from the WWF is a news guy...in Tucson??
He was a news guy before getting hired by the WWF.
I missed this news story last year.

😬😬😬

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Fox News Host: Black People Will Vote for Trump Because ‘They Love Sneakers’
“This is connecting with Black America because they love sneakers!” Arroyo added. “They’re into sneakers… this is a big deal, certainly in the inner city. So when you have Trump roll out his sneaker line, they’re like, ‘Wait a minute, this is cool!’”
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

and if they have $400 burning a hole they're def gonna choose those over Jordans
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:59 pm and if they have $400 burning a hole they're def gonna choose those over Jordans
Republicans buy sneakers, too.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yes I suppose the intersection of republicans and Black Americans That Love Sneakers will snap those up.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:07 pm Yes I suppose the intersection of republicans and Black Americans That Love Sneakers will snap those up.
Hey, it wasn't my line originally.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

should’ve known :|
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Air Bordan.