NCAA Basketball 23-24

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball 23-24

Post by Shirley »

UVA finally got a road win on Saturday against Georgia Tech. After that win, UVA is ranked #70 in the Torvik rankings. What's wild is their H/A split. If you only count their home games, UVA would be #8 in the country. If you only count road games, they'd be #277. Before the GT win, it was something like #336 on the road. Pretty incredible difference between home and away.

That said, UVA essentially added two players last week and things have greatly changed. Big man transfer Jordan Minor finally remembered how to play 3 games ago and looks like a completely different player. He's getting deserved minutes now and it's totally changed the team. They had no inside strength at all without him. The other addition is a quick PG transfer from Georgetown who had missed 10 games with an ankle injury. His return gives UVA a legit backup PG and an option for a quicker look.

I'm hoping the addition of those two is why UVA has played much better the last two games. They still have a lot of work to do to get back in NCAA contention. It's made extra hard this year because the metrics hate the ACC.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Keeping with the parochial theme on this thread.

The knives are out for Juwan at MI. Folks can understand losing to Purdue without their starting point guard. But the losses this season to really low ranked teams and... just how they have looked the last 2 seasons... They look like hot garbage.

No real reason to fire him mid-season, but, man... What a bummer. Hopes were pretty high with this hire.

ETA - The thing that really rankles is that the team looked organized and motivated under Martelli while Howard was out on medical leave.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 03836.html

Sounds like K State thinks Iowa State had folks filming their huddles and, I guess, texting back what they saw on the little whiteboard they all use... (Article doesn't say that, I'm just speculating.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well if anyone would be equipped to speculate ... ; P
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

mister d wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:51 pm Well if anyone would be equipped to speculate ... ; P
I was going to be obnoxious and tack on that the Big 12 shouldn't wait for an investigation and should suspend the Cyclone's head coach immediately. But I didn't do that. Because I don't want to be obnoxious.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'll be going to my first UNC-Duke game in the Dean Dome on Saturday. We have season tickets, but those don't include the Duke game, so we had to pay a ton on SeatGeek. Should be pretty fun though.

I actually went to one in Cameron about 20 years ago and that was one of the most amazing sports watching experiences of my life. Just an unbelievable atmosphere. (Oddly, Carolina played two future NFL players that night in Ron Curry and Julius Peppers.)
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Sounds like a blast.

Kinda shitty though that your “season” tickets exclude the Duke game.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Worth it. Dean dome... At least in my time not one of the most involved fan bases... Old folks, lack of students on lower level and 20,000+

Duke a different matter though. Have fun. Wear the right shade for the kid. Grad school doesn't count. I'll allow orange and blue.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ronald Curry man. That guy had it made pro in two sports and neither worked out. Just got so damn huge for hoop and probably not thr pocket passing for the times. Guy probably would have made it in this NFL
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:44 pm Worth it. Dean dome... At least in my time not one of the most involved fan bases... Old folks, lack of students on lower level and 20,000+

Duke a different matter though. Have fun. Wear the right shade for the kid. Grad school doesn't count. I'll allow orange and blue.
Oh, I wear UNC stuff at their games. The wife would kill me if I didn't. She's a huge Heels fan. The only time I don't is for Virginia games, but luckily they don't play in Chapel Hill this year. They've won in the Dome enough times in the past ten years that I'm barely invited to go to those games anymore.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:46 pm Ronald Curry man. That guy had it made pro in two sports and neither worked out. Just got so damn huge for hoop and probably not thr pocket passing for the times. Guy probably would have made it in this NFL
He did make the NFL, but as a receiver. Had a few good years for the Raiders.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Forgot that. That guy might still be the biggest recruit ever to come to campus so destined to be much more. Want to say he might have been splitting snaps by senior year though
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Curry's high school career was mind boggling. I mean, read this shit from Wikipedia:
Curry was an All-American in basketball and football and was awarded the Dial Award for the national high-school scholar-athlete of the year in 1997. He won the McDonald's Slam Dunk contest and was MVP of the McDonald's All-American game. [...]

He is considered one of the greatest Virginia high school athletes ever, leading his school to three consecutive state titles in football from 1995 to 1997 and one in basketball in 1998. The 1996 Hampton High School football team went 14–0, outscoring opponents 768–83 including a 51–0 victory over a previously unbeaten Patrick Henry team in the state championship, and is widely considered to be the best team in Virginia history; the 1997 team also went 14–0 and posted similar numbers. Curry also excelled at defensive back and kick returner in addition to his quarterbacking duties. Michael Vick was in the same district as Curry in high school and was overshadowed by the accomplishments of Curry's team. While Vick was also a highly touted prospect, Curry was almost universally rated higher in recruiting rankings. In an interview, Vick said "I felt pressure to compete against Ronald Curry." One college football recruiting analyst says Curry was the best offensive prospect he saw in 23 years. Bobby Bowden said he was best high school quarterback he had ever seen.
That district that Curry played football in (and he was first-team all state at QB, DB, and Kick Returner) is no joke. Curry, Iverson, both Vicks, Tyrod Taylor, Aaron Brooks, etc., and that's just quarterbacks.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Never seen a coach ejected for coaching box infractions but apparently one of the refs bet his life savings on the Cyclones over Baylor tonight so here we are.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

No words to describe that Baylor game. I’ll just say it is complete bullshit they can overturn an out of bounds call when the replay clearly shows a foul caused the ball to go out of bounds.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

CMU is 8-2 its best start since the Clinton administration.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

The UNC-Duke game in the Dean Dome was incredible. Such a great atmosphere. The Dome is famous for not being quite as boisterous and loud as some other top arenas, but that's not true at all when Duke is in the building. That was a ton of fun.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

We might be back.
image.png
image.png (2.39 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Easily the best half of the season for Gonzaga...
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Amir Abdul-Rahim has South Florida (can't say USF h/t Howard) doing good things this season in the American. They were down 13 at the break on the road at Rice, but he got them to reset their focus and they basically eviscerated the lead before 5 min had elapsed in the 2nd half.

IMO he's going to be getting offers from bigger programs during the offseason.
Noli Timere Messorem
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:09 pm Easily the best half of the season for Gonzaga...
Big Win for the Zags!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

8:03 and as the pregame drags on I realize the Pens don’t start until 8:30 so I switch over to the ‘cock just in time to see Caitlin Clark knock down a loooong 3 for Iowa’s 8th point and her 8th point and the women’s alltime scoring record.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:09 pm 8:03 and as the pregame drags on I realize the Pens don’t start until 8:30 so I switch over to the ‘cock just in time to see Caitlin Clark knock down a loooong 3 for Iowa’s 8th point and her 8th point and the women’s alltime scoring record.
That shot was rather impressive.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:09 pm 8:03 and as the pregame drags on I realize the Pens don’t start until 8:30 so I switch over to the ‘cock just in time to see Caitlin Clark knock down a loooong 3 for Iowa’s 8th point and her 8th point and the women’s alltime scoring record.
Lucky for her they didn’t storm the court.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

UConn just beat the snot out of #4 ranked Marquette by 28 points, and their likely lottery pick, Stephon Castle only scored 3 points today. Their depth is hilarious.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So…What the hell happened at Wake Forest yesterday? Footage showed only four security guards to maintain a perimeter around the court at the end of that game yesterday? What a shit show.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:14 pm So…What the hell happened at Wake Forest yesterday? Footage showed only four security guards to maintain a perimeter around the court at the end of that game yesterday? What a shit show.
People have been talking about it for years, but I think this is the incident that's going go change things. I wouldn't be surprised to see conferences and maybe the NCAA start levying fines for uncontrolled court storms. At least give the teams time to get off the court first.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Shirley wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:28 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:14 pm So…What the hell happened at Wake Forest yesterday? Footage showed only four security guards to maintain a perimeter around the court at the end of that game yesterday? What a shit show.
People have been talking about it for years, but I think this is the incident that's going go change things. I wouldn't be surprised to see conferences and maybe the NCAA start levying fines for uncontrolled court storms. At least give the teams time to get off the court first.
It also reduces the fan conversations into the absurd. The frame by frame overhead look at Kyle Flipowski. “Did he intentionally trip the marauding fan who wasn’t looking where he was running?”

To be fair, I think Flipowski was watching a horde of fanatics running through him, so any reaction would be instinctive. The forethought occurred when the fans chose to take the floor by storm…But anyway, does it matter? If this were the NFL and a Safety just levels the fan, the dialog would be about justice for a moron.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Rushing the court is a stupid thing to do. Risk of injury to the players, coaching staffs, and others for both teams. The risk of injury to those rushing the court is even more. I was working at Deer Creek back in the day, and the lawn crowd decided it should join the others in the pavilion. Huge rush of people. One teenage girl was actually crushed to death.

Schools, conferences and the NCAA need to crack down on this. Fines, suspensions, expulsions.

I don't remember as many court rushing events back in the day. Maybe I didn't pay as much attention. Or are the jagalooms just trying to get their two minutes on TikTok or what ever filming as they rush the court.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We did it several times in the late 90s.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:26 pm We did it several times in the late 90s.
Court was stormed twice in 11 days at Syracuse in 1994 (#5 UConn, #4 Kentucky) and I only participated in the second one. Fans also "stormed" the court less than two weeks ago after beating North Carolina. Quotation marks used because kids started lining up during a timeout with under a minute to go and a lead of eight or so.

I don't know what punishment could be used other than banning fans from coming to all future games (basketball or all sports, whichever). I don't think the students (who make up the majority of those rush the courts - I saw a picture from yesterday showing a Wake fan leading one small child and carrying another onto the floor) care if the school gets fined. I also don't know how you arrest several hundred people for rushing the court.

I think you start with directing visiting team players to return the sideline immediately after the game ends to try to get out of the way as quickly as possible, instead of them walking directly toward wherever the tunnel is. Home team players theoretically want to celebrate with their fans, so subjecting them to the risk of injury does not seem to be as pressing an issue.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

I think if Event Management in these arenas take their job seriously, they can squelch court storming enough so that the teams can GTFO the court. But yeah, a half dozen security guards trying to protect the perimeter? No. That's not even half the # of guards you'd need. The correct # of guards and PA announcements warning fans that storming the court is an arrestable offense should give the teams enough time to get off the court. As it stands now, the driver to determine the number in the security detail is fan apathy.

Wake was asleep at the wheel though. Sellout crowd vs a local rival. What did they think was going to happen?
Noli Timere Messorem
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:00 pm Wake was asleep at the wheel though. Sellout crowd vs a local rival. What did they think was going to happen?
Not a win, presumably.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:47 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:00 pm Wake was asleep at the wheel though. Sellout crowd vs a local rival. What did they think was going to happen?
Not a win, presumably.
They were actually favored to win that game, too. Definitely smacks of negligence on the event / facilities mgmt.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

There have been 100s of court storming and I don’t recall this ever happening. Stop overreacting.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:11 pm There have been 100s of court storming and I don’t recall this ever happening. Stop overreacting.
Show your work.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... i-injuries

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -storming/

So we should wait for a catastrophic injury to a player or a student before we do something about it? Cuz proaction is automatically overreaction?

That's some take you got there.
Noli Timere Messorem
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Court storming is stupid. Always has been. Always will be. It is an excuse to act stupid just light setting sofas on fire after winning a championship. Be better, people.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Weeks after that storm in Columbus, a crew of college seniors descended on the court to celebrate Syracuse's unexpected win against North Carolina. Lehouiller told ESPN that even before the game started, he expected to join a storm if the Orange won. As Syracuse began to pull ahead and the crowd was on its feet, Lehouiller texted his friends: "storm chasing? [side eye emoji]"

Looking back, Lehouiller acknowledged the risk of injury and said he felt for the security guards who tried in vain to keep the crowds back. But at the time, he didn't hesitate, knowing he soon would graduate and this could be his last chance to participate in what he called the greatest tradition of college sports. The experience, he said, is now memorialized in video he shot on his phone.

"This is the only good situation to have a mob mentality," he said. "It's something that I will talk about, like, forever. I don't think I'll ever beat that memory."
HEY MA! MEATLOAF!
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:32 pm
Giff wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:11 pm There have been 100s of court storming and I don’t recall this ever happening. Stop overreacting.
Show your work.

So we should wait for a catastrophic injury to a player or a student before we do something about it? Cuz proaction is automatically overreaction?

Yeah I remember that disastrous injury to Caitlin Clark that prohibited her from breaking the all-time scoring record. Need any more pearl necklaces to clutch?
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:51 pm
EnochRoot wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:32 pm
Show your work.

Yeah I remember that disastrous injury to Caitlin Clark that prohibited her from breaking the all-time scoring record. Need any more pearl necklaces to clutch?
You do? Cuz Caitlin Clark wasn't injured.

So given that you're not being genuine, let me spell it out for you:

Court storming will get banned when some punk ass piece of shit freshman rushes the court with a wave of his friends only to get his face Rudy-Tomjanovich'd into next year by a 6'10" punk ass piece of shit freshman four star recruit.

That day will come sooner than later if they don't enact standards for security personnel, announcements before the end of the game, and protocols for how to exit the visiting team from the arena.

And yeah, fuck you for your douchebag tone. :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem