NCAA Basketball 23-24

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: NCAA Basketball 23-24

Post by GoodKarma »

The solution is simple: fans storm the court = the win is forfeit.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Simple loophole: You storm if you lose.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

mister d wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:48 pm Simple loophole: You storm if you lose.
Programs with large fanbases would be able to exploit that against teams within driving range. Or, you'd see some unfortunate brawls with security.

The answer is to require X number of security at each game relative to tickets sold (or given away). Like I said, Wake banked on apathy to carry the day. That's a fucking horrible business continuity plan.
Noli Timere Messorem
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

One or two security guards in an aisle trying to stop hundreds of determined kids is not the solution.

The solution is to forfeit the game and/or no fans at the next home game. Pretty simple. Don't worry about the logistics of hiring minimum wage "security" guards who don't really give a fuck. Fine, forfeit, suspend attendance/vacate the arena for future games.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And, not for nothing, but I've been saying this for decades. It's not even about players "getting hurt." In almost every situation, students rushing the court are, at a minimum, jostling and taunting the opposing team.

It's absolute bullshit from a straight up sportsmanship standpoint. Let the players shake hands and leave the court peacefully.

The idea that this is a tradition worth preserving is ridiculous.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

The biggest concern for me is not really players or people on the court, it is the students rushing down aisle ways. Someone slips on the stairs and gets trampled because the swell coming from behind just pushes everyone forward. Just like people at concerts getting crushed against guardrails at a GA concert, or coming from lawn seating into the pavilion. It will happen sooner rather than later. One of the articles posted earlier said fans have rushed the court an absurd amount of times (my opinion) in the past two weeks. In games that weren't beating a top 5 team or even a top 20 team.

Forfeit the games, ban student ticket sales/attendance for the next game(s).
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I think forfeiting a game is too severe. And it would complicate rankings, records, etc.

A large fine for the home team ought to do it. Arenas already have a ton of ushers and security. They can use them better and/or hire more to handle the security. Some arenas already handle this properly. I know I've seen security create a human wall/line around the benches before. I think it was at UVA, back when they were climbing up to prominence and beating Duke and UNC at home was a big deal.
Totally Kafkaesque
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Put a clip on the scoreboard of everyone’s parents rushing the court 30 years ago
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

ESPN's reporting on it during the Sportscenter before the games started last night was laughable. They used music more somber than I've heard in some of the 9/11 documentaries.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:51 am ESPN's reporting on it during the Sportscenter before the games started last night was laughable. They used music more somber than I've heard in some of the 9/11 documentaries.
To be fair this happened to Duke.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

They made an announcement at Mississippi State- UK game around 5 minutes to go that court storming would not be tolerated. MSU was up 4-5 or something like that.

UK figured out a better way to stop the court storming.
Last edited by A_B on Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:05 am They made an announcement at Mississippi State- UK game around 5 minutes to go that court storming would not be tolerated. A& M was up 4-5 or something like that.

UK figured out a better way to stop the court storming.
It would have been gratuitous and uncalled for if Mississippi State fans stormed the court after a Texas A&M win several hundred miles away.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

ha!

fixed it but good callout!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Thoughts and prayers do work!

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:23 pm Thoughts and prayers do work!

That's not how that works, but tots and pears just the same.
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(We stormed not because it was a big win, both of us finished under .500, but because we knew it was on ESPN2.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That you in the green square? The guy clearly wearing eye black and a frayed bucket hat.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I believe it was quadrant painted (navy and gold) and that hat was absolutely not frayed.

More importantly, we did not injure Lari Ketner slash Lari Ketner didn't try to draw contract from any of us.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

ok sure mister d(uece)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Stormed the field when uK best Alabama for the first time in 90 years. It was the worst banana team since never. But never for basketball. Of course.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:45 pm Stormed the field when uK best Alabama for the first time in 90 years. It was the worst banana team since never. But never for basketball. Of course.
Not as apeeling?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:26 pm I believe it was quadrant painted (navy and gold) and that hat was absolutely not frayed.

More importantly, we did not injure Lari Ketner slash Lari Ketner didn't try to draw contract from any of us.
Damn, D. You must’ve gotten all the West Oak Lane pussy back in the day.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:21 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:45 pm Stormed the field when uK best Alabama for the first time in 90 years. It was the worst banana team since never. But never for basketball. Of course.
Not as apeeling?
I guess I need to wear my readers all the time bow
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:07 pm
rass wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:21 pm
Not as apeeling?
I guess I need to wear my readers all the time bow
As a curtsy to us all.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rass is hot tonight!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:15 pm Rass is hot tonight!
I’m a softball pitcher tonight.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

https://theathletic.com/5310734/2024/03 ... departure/

Longtime S/C coach at UM settles with university... Confrontation with Juwan in December and overall culture issues are alleged.

Another tire thrown on this massive shitshow of a fire. I also think it's REALLY dicey to allow D1 coaches to bring their own kids into a program. Especially a sport with such a small roster like basketball. If there's even a sliver of a perception of preferential treatment, the locker room goes to shit.

He's lucky he's having this (historically bad) season in the middle of the afterglow of a Natty for football. Insane that this program, which has at a minimum beena perennial NCAA tournament participant is in last place in the B1G. (The other built in excuse or cover for Juwan is the weirdest suspension I've ever seen for a college athlete. Of course they suck on the road... an already bad team without their PG is a joke.)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I only know what I’ve read in the Athletic but it seems like Howard’s “zero tolerance” clause should have been invoked? Instead, they are letting a last-place coach run off a very highly-regarded staff member?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Taking nothing away from Caitlin Clark, because what she was able to do in her career puts her down as the greatest women's gunner in NCAA history. But man, what Pete Maravich did was nuts. He averaged 43.8, 44.2, and 44.5 PPG in his three seasons at LSU. This is without a shot clock, no three-point line, and he couldn't play as a freshman due to NCAA rules at the time. Like what was the LSU offense? Just give the ball to Maravich? And how do you not defend this guy continually with a double-team?

Of course, it should also be noted that the SEC at the time was functionally non-integrated, so he was playing against white guys, severely curtailing the talent pool of his opposition. But man, those numbers are just absurd.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 am Taking nothing away from Caitlin Clark, because what she was able to do in her career puts her down as the greatest women's gunner in NCAA history. But man, what Pete Maravich did was nuts. He averaged 43.8, 44.2, and 44.5 PPG in his three seasons at LSU. This is without a shot clock, no three-point line, and he couldn't play as a freshman due to NCAA rules at the time. Like what was the LSU offense? Just give the ball to Maravich? And how do you not defend this guy continually with a double-team?

Of course, it should also be noted that the SEC at the time was functionally non-integrated, so he was playing against white guys, severely curtailing the talent pool of his opposition. But man, those numbers are just absurd.
His dad, Press, posted a 49-35 coaching record in those three seasons at LSU and a 3-23 record in his first season when Pete was a freshman. I think you're onto his offensive scheme with the Tigers.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Averaged 38 shots over his 3 year career at LSU.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, that’s a problem with career statistics, given that Clark played a lot more games than Pistol Pete. I remember he always wore his “lucky” saggy socks.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, its an impossible comp given the 3s and stuff, but I really hate the whole "no one can ever top Maravich because of 3s" given the volume. Clark is still almost 600 career shot attempts behind.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Conference tournaments start today. Road tripping to conference tournaments a worthwhile hobby I'll choose in a few years
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:03 pm Conference tournaments start today. Road tripping to conference tournaments a worthwhile hobby I'll choose in a few years
Or you could live in a city where there’s five of them.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Citgo, see if Brian has a spare room!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

UW Huskies fire men’s basketball coach Mike Hopkins
Shortly after Thursday’s 74-68 win over No. 18 Washington State, which was one of the biggest wins in his career and only the second time he’d beaten a ranked team on the road, Washington men’s basketball coach Mike Hopkins talked with optimism about the victory possibly being a watershed moment.

“Now let’s take this momentum and see what we can do with it,” he said noting next week’s Pac-12 tournament.

On Friday, Hopkins met with UW players and informed them that he will not return next season.
Not exactly a surprise. UW mens basketball has been a complete afterthought, with no visibility in the community.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Great guy, but a bad fit from the jump. Went over this last year when it was announced he was returning for this season.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:21 pm Great guy, but a bad fit from the jump. Went over this last year when it was announced he was returning for this season.
Fortunately for Syracuse, it seems likes Red Autry has gotten off to a pretty good start. Not great, but solid (and better than last year under Boeheim).
Totally Kafkaesque