Culinary Hot Takes

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Re: Culinary Hot Takes

Post by MaxWebster »

you know what kind of roll this belongs on tho....
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:59 am
Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:57 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:17 am
rass wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:57 am I really like it, too. There are certain sandwich situations where its absence is unacceptable.

So I'm thinking this might have been a bad take?
I agree. It’s a must in roast beef sandwiches.
Have you tried mayonnaise though?
Not a big fan. Mustard, horseradish, cheese, lettuce and tomato.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A 'weck, of course. May need to head to Wegmans to get some.
MaxWebster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:59 am you know what kind of roll this belongs on tho....

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Catalina dressing is really good on a roast beef sandwich with lettuce and tomato too. I think they serve that at Walt's.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I don’t know why, but I am liking horseradish more these days. I spread some on a hamburger last night and it was great.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I like it on beef. I also dig horserashish mustard over most other brown mustards (stadium mustard from Progressive is pretty good thought)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Another one for horseradish, I gotta be in the mood for it, and it almost always should go with corned or roast beef.

Beaver brand mustard does a horseradish cream that is definitely milder, absolutely recommend for anyone wants something mayo like and you know, not mayo. (more calories than regular horseradish though)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:59 amyou know what kind of roll this belongs on tho....
Meant to ask (or Rass will show me I asked and forgot) … is it bad form or touristy to ask for mayo with beef on weck? Def didn’t need it, I just like it better that way.

(Not a fan of wet sandwiches so the au jus does nothing for me.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I remember the first time I had real horseradish and not Horsey’s Sauce. RIP my sinuses 3/14/93 which were killed 3/93 at Erik’s Deli in Aptos, CA.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:51 pm I remember the first time I had real horseradish and not Horsey’s Sauce. RIP my sinuses 3/14/93 which were killed 3/93 at Erik’s Deli in Aptos, CA.
Goyim... Every Passover at Hebrew school we'd have an informal horseradish eating contest. More like a dare to see who could eat the most. I never lost.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I had real horseradish long before horsey sauce. My grandpa thought it would be hilarious for me to try it at the local sizzler. He enjoyed it from what I recall. I did not.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The ideal is having them separate, not as a premade sauce, because that's usually just too weak. I want horseradish cut with a little bit of mayo. Like a real Buffalonian.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

fk form - i think you just stare down the server and own it.

and although the mayo doesn't sound great to me, your horseradish cut with mayo sounds interesting - i know you don't like the premade sauce but there's this one from (the recently absurdly overly priced) Stonewall Kitchen that is i think called Horseradish Creme Sauce maybe - little bottle - goes over well in this house on the rare <get it> occasion we have rb sandwiches.
mister d wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:18 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:59 amyou know what kind of roll this belongs on tho....
Meant to ask (or Rass will show me I asked and forgot) … is it bad form or touristy to ask for mayo with beef on weck? Def didn’t need it, I just like it better that way.

(Not a fan of wet sandwiches so the au jus does nothing for me.)
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

i don't know if it's a local/WNY Wegmans thing but in their delis here they sell a spicy cheese that's not a silly monterey jack (congrats to that lobby for successfully pushing a completely lame cheese) but it's a cheddar base with jalapeno and cayenne. Wegmans markets it as their own but i'm 99% sure it's from a local cheese maker Yancey's Fancy. Highly recommended for everything but slightly melted on a roast beef sandwich with a little horseradish and dipped in au jus.... damn.
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:01 am A 'weck, of course. May need to head to Wegmans to get some.
MaxWebster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:59 am you know what kind of roll this belongs on tho....
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:28 am i don't know if it's a local/WNY Wegmans thing but in their delis here they sell a spicy cheese that's not a silly monterey jack (congrats to that lobby for successfully pushing a completely lame cheese) but it's a cheddar base with jalapeno and cayenne. Wegmans markets it as their own but i'm 99% sure it's from a local cheese maker Yancey's Fancy. Highly recommended for everything but slightly melted on a roast beef sandwich with a little horseradish and dipped in au jus.... damn.
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:01 am A 'weck, of course. May need to head to Wegmans to get some.
I used to get Yancy’s around here. Maybe Wegmans, maybe a wine shop with a huge cheese section. Maybe Trader Joe’s? All of the above? Great stuff.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

This is the coldest of takes, but the day you start using San marzano tomatoes in your homemade (well, The Woman’s) sauce is a life changing day.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:23 pm San marzano tomatoes
Read a great history of tomatoes that they sing their praises. I have to track down, or grow weak versions, or both.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:48 am
Read a great history of tomatoes that they sing their praises. I have to track down, or grow weak versions, or both.
I’d like to read that book. They are in our grocery stores but they’re in cans. I’m sure there’s a fresh version of them available but I don’t know that I’ve seen them in the produce section.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:48 am
I grew San Marzano tomatoes when I had my community garden plots. They were delicious and very easy to grow, and were almost too productive. I usually planted four plants and when they were ready for harvesting, I had to spend multiple hours to pick them and process them for freezing. But damn, they are GREAT for homemade tomato sauce.
THERE’S NOTHING WRONG WITH GALA LUNCHEONS, LAD!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

In my neck of the woods we have an importer called Cento that cans San Marzanos. It’s the only kind I’ll use.

As an aside, my son asked me to teach him how to make homemade pasta, my gravy, and my parents’ pork meatballs this past week, and we’re going to take over the kitchen next time he’s down.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This seems like an appropriate thread for an interesting article about why jalapeño peppers aren’t very hot anymore.

https://www.dmagazine.com/food-drink/20 ... me-aggies/
Totally Kafkaesque
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Never heard of it but pleased there's magazine just called D.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

; )