Shows worth rewatching

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Shows worth rewatching

Post by EdRomero »

Bojack Horseman is so much better a second time around. I mostly avoid doing this because there are so many new shows I haven't seen. Any others (and I mean watching in oder, not like watching random Office or Simpsons shows on sindication)?
brian
The Dude

Re: Shows worth rewatching

Post by brian »

It’s impossible to catch all the jokes first time through on Arrested Development and 30 Rock so I’ll say those. Then there’s shows like The Sopranos where the writing and acting will hold up for as long as we’re alive.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

During the pandemic we rewatched Friends from College and we’re past what should have been the end of Scrubs. If that got a present day reboot pretty much every McGinley line would need a rewrite.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I rewatched all of Sopranos recently and it is such a good show. Amazing writing and Gandolfini was brilliant.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I plan on rewatching Deadwood and The Wire. It has been a good amount of time since I last watched them through. Then probably The Sopranos.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I’ll second the 30 Rock endorsement
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

We just got my BIL's Disney Plus and Hulu logins.

Won't be rewatching anything anytime soon.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

We rewatched Better Call Saul while deployed and I'd say that was worth it.

We also watched all of Game of Thrones because a few folks hadn't seen it. It was worth it to smash the dreams of young people and see their reactions in real time. To watch the show again? Not at all. Just don't.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Ok, to answer the question, I was rewatching The Office because I was listening to the Office Ladies who do one episode a week. Then it all moved to Peacock, so I'm just listening to the podcast.

I watched about 3 seasons of Community kind of early in the pandemic, then about 3 seasons of Parks & Rec.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm slowly going through Community and that's a great one on a second go round. I watched the first Mad Men and Thrones thinking it was awesome to see the characters, and knowing them right away and what's to come and to see that the writing was consistent from the start (esp. Mad Men), but I just couldn't commit to putting so much time into watching either series again. But I did rewatch Psych during the good old early pandemic days, and that was fun, but I still think Bojack and 30 Rock top the list for getting the most out of a second viewing (kind of like reading a classic book a second time)
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Echo Community is great on re-watch.

Re-watched Lost a few years ago w/ Q and that outstanding on re-watch, weirdly enough.

Breaking Bad holds up forever.

Arrested Development for sure. Cheers holds - but better around Season 3 when focus left Sam/Diane. Seinfeld holds.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:29 pm Ok, to answer the question, I was rewatching The Office because I was listening to the Office Ladies who do one episode a week. Then it all moved to Peacock, so I'm just listening to the podcast.

I watched about 3 seasons of Community kind of early in the pandemic, then about 3 seasons of Parks & Rec.
Peacock is free you know.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

duff wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:10 pm I plan on rewatching Deadwood and The Wire. It has been a good amount of time since I last watched them through. Then probably The Sopranos.
It may be time for a Wire rewatch. It’s been a few years.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:53 pm
duff wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:10 pm I plan on rewatching Deadwood and The Wire. It has been a good amount of time since I last watched them through. Then probably The Sopranos.
It may be time for a Wire rewatch. It’s been a few years.
I only saw it for the first time a couple years ago but looking forward to a re-watch. I just had to re-watch Bosch to catch my wife up on final season and it’s “eh” on re-watch. I really like it but not necessary to watch twice.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We were just talking last night about re-watching Mad Men, but I'm not sure its streaming anywhere currently.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:25 pm We were just talking last night about re-watching Mad Men, but I'm not sure its streaming anywhere currently.
It’s on IMDBtv app (owned by Amazon) though you have to watch some ads. But free
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:25 pm We were just talking last night about re-watching Mad Men, but I'm not sure its streaming anywhere currently.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mad-m ... r-BB19CpcR

IMDB tv or AMC+
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:19 pm We rewatched Better Call Saul while deployed and I'd say that was worth it.

We also watched all of Game of Thrones because a few folks hadn't seen it. It was worth it to smash the dreams of young people and see their reactions in real time. To watch the show again? Not at all. Just don't.
I'm planning a BCS rewatch before the new season starts (whenever that may be).
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

bfj wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:35 pm
Johnnie wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:19 pm We rewatched Better Call Saul while deployed and I'd say that was worth it.

Has the most recent season shown up on Netflix yet? I was under the impression it was going to start streaming back in the spring, but nothing so far....
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Father Ted perhaps the greatest sitcom of all time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:47 am

Has the most recent season shown up on Netflix yet? I was under the impression it was going to start streaming back in the spring, but nothing so far....
Looks like there are only 4 of 5 seasons on Netflix which sucks because last season was great.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

bfj wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:01 pm

Looks like there are only 4 of 5 seasons on Netflix which sucks because last season was great.
They usually don’t drop until a couple weeks before the new season airs which is unfortunate because of how long it’s been.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:19 pm
bfj wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:01 pm

They usually don’t drop until a couple weeks before the new season airs which is unfortunate because of how long it’s been.
Harsh. He pulled through.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm watching Bojack again. Holy shit is it still so good and still so depressing, maybe even moreso as I age and identify with Bojack (other than all the sex, fame, and money). Some of the episodes are just devestatingly sad. Amazing show.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:03 pm I'm watching Bojack again. Holy shit is it still so good and still so depressing, maybe even moreso as I age and identify with Bojack (other than all the sex, fame, and money). Some of the episodes are just devestatingly sad. Amazing show.
For my money one of the best shows of all-time. Up there with The Sopranos, The Wire et al.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I only watched the odd episode of Bojack. If I wanted to pick it up, do I need to start from the very beginning? Or is there one particular season that would be the best time to pick it up?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:34 pm I only watched the odd episode of Bojack. If I wanted to pick it up, do I need to start from the very beginning? Or is there one particular season that would be the best time to pick it up?
It’s probably worthwhile to watch from the beginning but if you really wanted you could skip season 1. I wouldn’t suggest skipping any other seasons or skipping around. There’s enough running gags that it’s best to watch in order.

ETA: And even with that if you skip season 1 you’re going to be really confused as to why it’s called “Hollywoo” and not Hollywood if you don’t watch S1E6.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Just start with season 1 episode 1 and enjoy.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:54 pm Just start with season 1 episode 1 and enjoy.
This, 100%. Enjoy the journey beginning with the new world, countless sight gags, and so many inside jokes that continue through the entire series. And then watch the whole thing again, and again.