Mush, Mush (Dog Sled and other "Manly" Sports)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Mush, Mush (Dog Sled and other "Manly" Sports)

Post by wlu_lax6 »

1.) So we did not have a dog sled racing thread. Now we do.
2.) We can add timber sports to this one (my nephew joined the timber sports club at U of Vermont, look forward to hearing about log rolling and chainsaw racing, and stuff with axes).
3.) Is it weird that I knew all of the mushers mentioned in the article? (Dallas Seavey was in Ultimate Survival Alaska..which was a fun, and maybe rigged, reality game show).
4.) There are some crazy stories of moose-musher interactions
5.) I like there is rule that they have to gut the moose if you kill one during the race

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39 ... g-iditarod
rass
The Dude

Re: Mush, Mush (Dog Sled and other "Manly" Sports)

Post by rass »

I'll just point out that the only dog sled racer I follow on twitter is a woman.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

And everyone else has to stop and help you gut the moose. And the guy before him had to punch the same moose in the head. And the other teams had to ride over the moose with dogs and sleds... Didn't know they couldn't deviate from path. Guy didn't want to stop because he thought the dogs would eat the moose.

Things a little different in Alaska. When are we gonna give that back to its rightful owner.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:04 am

Things a little different in Alaska. When are we gonna give that back to its rightful owner.
Why do you hate William Seward?

(Yes, I got your joke)
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Moose are freakin gigantic.

Noli Timere Messorem
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

A few years back during the first pandemic summer I used to watch the shit out of the Stihl Timbersports championships while I was working. That stuff was great. There’s a LumberJill from Chadds Ford, PA (Philly suburbs) who’s the best in the world. Easy on the eyes too:

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I got to see a moose (bull) from about 20 yards away while in RMNP and... Can confirm... Very large!

A group of about 10 of us were taking pics from around 60 yards away and he decided he would like to occupy the spot we were in. We kept backing up and he kept on hoofing it towards, albeit in a non threatening way. I still felt like we should've bugged out more quickly but also looked around and realized I could out run the bulk of this group, so... Worth it!

(Not really kidding.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

We had a dog sled team when I was a kid. Recreational at most (we only had 10 dogs max) though I did the kid and mutt at the Alpo races when they were in Lake Placid.

Loved when ESPN used to have filler of the Lumberjack games rather than some other sponsored talking head show.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:20 am We had a dog sled team when I was a kid. Recreational at most (we only had 10 dogs max) though I did the kid and mutt at the Alpo races when they were in Lake Placid.

How I have I been here for 19 years and this is the first time I'm hearing this? That's awesome! My parents had a Samoyed when I was born that lived up to the "babysitter dog" reputation and briefly had a Siberian Husky when I was 3, so I have a deep love of the breeds.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:51 am
How I have I been here for 19 years and this is the first time I'm hearing this? That's awesome! My parents had a Samoyed when I was born that lived up to the "babysitter dog" reputation and briefly had a Siberian Husky when I was 3, so I have a deep love of the breeds.
We had a couple of Samoyeds, but mostly Husky/Malmute mixes. Most were "rescues" from idiots that got then couldn't handle dogs that weigh as much as a husky 10-year-old. My mom still has one, a 120 lbs Malmute that loves "his" kitten (the Siamese we got my mom a few years ago) and any temperature under 30 as that thing has a friggin pelt.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

!!! yeah echoing Sybian here - tell more! what do you mean by "we" - your family? school? club? this is so cool and unique - Rush you've got a story here!
Rush2112 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:20 am We had a dog sled team when I was a kid. Recreational at most (we only had 10 dogs max) though I did the kid and mutt at the Alpo races when they were in Lake Placid.

Loved when ESPN used to have filler of the Lumberjack games rather than some other sponsored talking head show.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

When see those breeds south of, say, the Arctic Circle, I'm always worried about their quality of life in non-winter months.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:13 pm !!! yeah echoing Sybian here - tell more! what do you mean by "we" - your family? school? club? this is so cool and unique - Rush you've got a story here!
We as in family. my mom's partner has always been fascinated with the Arctic, etc. When I was 7 or 8 we got two Husky-Malamute puppies we used to have pull us on skis (skijoring.) My mom's partner then had some friends who knew someone who had a Husky that needed rescuing from a bad owner and then 3 dogs turned into more and more(they didn't have 9 or 10 until I had moved in with my dad so not sure exactly what the max was.)

Some big wig in Alpo used to have a camp in the ADK so the Alpo dog races were in a little shit hamlet past Saranac Lake, we used to go and volunteer and my mom's partner got a great deal on a sled and I learned how to ride behind a couple of dogs, did the kid and mutt was a pre-teen. Fun little race over like 100 feet or so. High hilarity.

Here's some exciting footage of one of the Alpo races a few years later:
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Pretty damn cool and to mention like it's normal even better. Oh yeah... I grew up tending a husky dog kennel and competed in sled races. Just a Tuesday
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Rush2112 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:27 pm
MaxWebster wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:13 pm !!! yeah echoing Sybian here - tell more! what do you mean by "we" - your family? school? club? this is so cool and unique - Rush you've got a story here!
We as in family. my mom's partner has always been fascinated with the Arctic, etc. When I was 7 or 8 we got two Husky-Malamute puppies we used to have pull us on skis (skijoring.) My mom's partner then had some friends who knew someone who had a Husky that needed rescuing from a bad owner and then 3 dogs turned into more and more(they didn't have 9 or 10 until I had moved in with my dad so not sure exactly what the max was.)

Some big wig in Alpo used to have a camp in the ADK so the Alpo dog races were in a little shit hamlet past Saranac Lake, we used to go and volunteer and my mom's partner got a great deal on a sled and I learned how to ride behind a couple of dogs, did the kid and mutt was a pre-teen. Fun little race over like 100 feet or so. High hilarity.

Here's some exciting footage of one of the Alpo races a few years later:
This is fantastic.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I read this book many years ago, written by a newbie musher who entered the Iditarod.

It's a great read. The guy was so green that he was easily the odds on favorite to die during the race.

ETA: smaller image
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Jae (my mom's partner) is still wickedly into sledding/the Iditarod and Yukon Quest (the quest is smaller field, but a harder race) and has met a whole bunch of the modern "classic" mushers. I haven't really been that into it since I was a teen, but listen to her stories and I do have a sweet-ass super-fleece vest from some race. Have to dig it out. It's unwearable unless it's -20 and you need layers.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

fyi for others, that's the same moose/musher as the original story
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I think it's great that Rush was like..."I know the perfect place for this story! So wild that thread just got started!"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:10 am I think it's great that Rush was like..."I know the perfect place for this story! So wild that thread just got started!"
My school blocks like 98% of the Internet so I can't follow many links, and I've taken to glossing over many WLU posts... I forwarded that to Max and he was like "HOLY SHIT what a coincidence" as well, anyway get Keg in here with the DPP lights.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

your school blocks espn's website????
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My work blocks yahoo sports. (but it's mainly a function of blocking all personal email sites)
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:28 am your school blocks espn's website????
Yes, the outside IT guy is a knob. We're K-8 with kids having their own computers they're supposed to be working on classwork throughout the day, so everything non-academic and known is blocked. The staff gets everything blocked as well. We can get our Gmail (we're on Gmail as a school, but I couldn't check the LinkedIn message that an old coworker sent me for instance.)

I have to remote into my home computer to watch gamecasts.

and so glad you're checking up on my browsing habits.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:13 am and so glad you're checking up on my browsing habits.
you brought the topic up!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So just learned my neighbor is involved with adopting retired sled dogs. https://www.blackbearsleddog.com/index.cfm#clients.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

First ...great dog name..2nd love the story
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... -blowhole/
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:26 am First ...great dog name..2nd love the story
https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... -blowhole/
Free Blowhole!!!

Canadian International