Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by Giff »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:16 pm Yeah I’m lazy too, but justify it by buying tshirts, vinyl, and concert tix from artists I fanboi on. Which is still the best way to put $ in their pocket regardless of streaming service.
Yup yup. I counted the other day and I'm now up to 57 band t-shirts that are hanging in my closet. No telling how many more in the dresser/boxes. I think I counted ~15 from last year alone.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:45 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:16 pm Yeah I’m lazy too, but justify it by buying tshirts, vinyl, and concert tix from artists I fanboi on. Which is still the best way to put $ in their pocket regardless of streaming service.
Yup yup. I counted the other day and I'm now up to 57 band t-shirts that are hanging in my closet. No telling how many more in the dresser/boxes. I think I counted ~15 from last year alone.
Thirded. Glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The previously referred to OCD or matching issues or whatever it is prevents me from having this problem. Hooray for something!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

+ Never seen a band graphic printed on a polo.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I wore a polo for the first time in a decade this year so let me know if you find any.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Never hung a tshirt
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:57 pm Never hung … … …shi…t
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Weak.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Chedda will get the right cadence I think.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I typically think of an artist I want to listen to and then go through their albums in sequence.

If I need a longer, more random playlist, I create a radio station based off an artist. I have a few of those set to download on my phone so I always have music if I'm offline.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

New Geographer album (A Mirror Brightly) dropped yesterday and it’s pretty good. I’m really not a huge synth-pop guy with the exception maybe of Chvrches but there’s something really compelling about his voice.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I am generally not someone who gets sucked into reels/youtube short/etc. But a few days ago I went down a rabbit hole killing time. So just flipping videos. Lots of lacrosse clips, SNL, etc. And somehow this one band playing this song just kept showing up. Reminded me of college days when there was a local/smaller band that was just really good and was going to make it (Saw Dave Matthews, Rusted Root, and a bunch of others play in fraternity basements in college). Anyway, it is modern bluegrass, but Top House are pretty good. They are playing in DC with Sam Burchfield & The Scoundrels..who are also pretty good.

On the other hand I also got sucked into Aimee Carty – 2 days into college
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

New euphemism dropped.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Heh, I’ve recently clicked on some Reelz, and man does this algorithm have me nailed. 70% videos of babies and kids with large breed dogs (mostly German Shepherds, but also Jax the Rottweiler, and various bully breeds) 30% soccer videos (highlights, training drills, and trick shot contests). I get bored within 3 minutes, but I could see how kids get hooked.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:02 pm trick shot contests
I saw one a few weeks back of parents teaching their kid how to shoot from 1 to 4. By 4 the kid was hitting the upper corner of the goal off his first touch.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

A_B wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:45 pm Beyonce's new country song is pretty good. No cap.
Counterpoint: I hate it (woo) and it’s a gateway drug for middle schoolers in my area to listen to non-Dolly Parton country music. Whatever part of me that acknowledges it’s pretty cool Beyoncé can pull this off is strongly outweighed by the part of me that thinks it’s just an awful, awful song. Woo.

(Source: Drove four 12 year olds home from softball evaluations this past Saturday with my kid controlling the music.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:45 pm Beyonce's new country song is pretty good. No cap.
Counterpoint: I hate it (woo) and it’s a gateway drug for middle schoolers in my area to listen to non-Dolly Parton country music. Whatever part of me that acknowledges it’s pretty cool Beyoncé can pull this off is strongly outweighed by the part of me that thinks it’s just an awful, awful song. Woo.

(Source: Drove four 12 year olds home from softball evaluations this past Saturday with my kid controlling the music.)
Does your daughter allow songs to finish, or constantly jump mid-song and play some songs multiple times during a drive?
-Pruitt
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 am

Does your daughter allow songs to finish, or constantly jump mid-song and play some songs multiple times during a drive?
I have broken this habit with my daughter. However, we have a thing that has been fun. We have a growing playlist for driving. The rule is we switch songs back and forth (her choice, my choice) and no song can ever be played a 2nd time. You get a certain number of "I can't stand this skips" per drive between 0-3 depending on distance. When we get in the car we start from the last song. Very eclectic way to expose to a variety of music types and I get lots of new stuff that I don't like but need to know (Noah K, Taylor Swift, and such). She gets exposed to country, rock, jazz, funk, go-go, rap, dance, ragtime, classical and more from across the decades.

Also I have probably shared this but hooked on phonics has nothing on hooked on youtube karaoke for teaching kids to read. And they are young enough to mold music tastes/appreciation.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 amDoes your daughter allow songs to finish, or constantly jump mid-song and play some songs multiple times during a drive?
No, but that's been a two decade fight with my wife since I'm the extreme other side as a full album guy.

This was only a ~10 minute car ride and it was 80% kids so I accepted defeat and didn't throw on Beirut or something. It went Beyonce -> Jolene (original version) -> something really shitty with Drake and some others. As "a certain type of dad", I was obviously tempted to put on the White Stripes cover of Jolene and then talk too much during it but fully restrained myself.

Longer family car rides we run the show up front either with stuff that they do or might like unless their headphones are in.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm a full album guy too. I once drove from College Station, TX, to St. Louis with zero skips. The music on road trips is mine unless I'm feeling nice and they haven't been annoying (or if my wife is driving in which case she can do what she wants). We always start really long trips at night so they can sleep anyway, so that's nice.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hell yeah. When I went Wilkes-Barre to Buffalo last fall it was both of the new National albums, then UTTAD and Crash then the Luniz album. No fucking skips. Not even "Let You Down".
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Wow, that's impressive. I hate Let You Down too!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:17 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:34 am

I have broken this habit with my daughter. However, we have a thing that has been fun. We have a growing playlist for driving. The rule is we switch songs back and forth (her choice, my choice) and no song can ever be played a 2nd time. You get a certain number of "I can't stand this skips" per drive between 0-3 depending on distance. When we get in the car we start from the last song. Very eclectic way to expose to a variety of music types and I get lots of new stuff that I don't like but need to know (Noah K, Taylor Swift, and such). She gets exposed to country, rock, jazz, funk, go-go, rap, dance, ragtime, classical and more from across the decades.

Also I have probably shared this but hooked on phonics has nothing on hooked on youtube karaoke for teaching kids to read. And they are young enough to mold music tastes/appreciation.
When my daughter was younger, she'd listen to everything. It changed around the time I got Spotify (maybe 2 years ago). Used to be either my iPod and she was stuck with my music, or Sirius, and she was stuck with whatever the stations were playing. I'd audible off Hits 1 if the song was unlistenable. And with Hits 1, you were guaranteed to hear the same songs on the way there as the way back. They'd have a rotation of maybe 10 total songs, and randomly swap something out every few days. Not sure how much is her changing or the variety of controlling Spotify.

Speaking of Noah Kahan, Stick Season gets heavy play right now. I told her to play the album. She fought it, but gave in. Played 15 seconds of a few songs, said "Stick Season is better," and went back to her rotation. I listened to the entire album on my own, and I like it. Stick Season is the best song, but the rest were good.

What's funny with her is how consistent her tastes have stayed. I exposed her to a lot driving to/from daycare when she was in pre-school. What she liked/hated then remains consistent. The strongest is her hatred of Led Zeppelin. "That guys voice is horrible, I can't listen to this!"
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We’ve always said that whoever drives gets to pick the music. So that expanded things when my daughter started driving. And narrowed things when I fucked up my shoulder, since my wife has to do all the driving now. (I don’t mind since I’m so dependent these days. I make up for it by playing my stuff at home all the time.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Never understood that rule unless normal people default to not wanting to drive? I concede control of the radio so I can be the driver pretty much 100% of the time.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:32 am Never understood that rule unless normal people default to not wanting to drive? I concede control of the radio so I can be the driver pretty much 100% of the time.
its a dumb rule. But it comes in handy before your kids can drive when they are also supernatural fans.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:32 am Never understood that rule unless normal people default to not wanting to drive? I concede control of the radio so I can be the driver pretty much 100% of the time.
But you WANT to drive. Nobody in our house chooses to be the driver, so it’s an enticement.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

When I'm driving with my daughter, she picks the music.

When she's driving, she picks the music. Because there's no way in hell I'm going to argue with her (and also I'm just happy to have the time in the car with her - that works so much better than trying to "hang out" together).

Luckily her musical taste has gotten a lot better than it was a few years ago.

Though the funny thing is, when we're together now, I'm the one who wants to play Taylor Swift, and she does not.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:01 pm When I'm driving with my daughter, she picks the music.

When she's driving, she picks the music. Because there's no way in hell I'm going to argue with her (and also I'm just happy to have the time in the car with her - that works so much better than trying to "hang out" together).

Luckily her musical taste has gotten a lot better than it was a few years ago.

Though the funny thing is, when we're together now, I'm the one who wants to play Taylor Swift, and she does not.
This is my philosophy. I'd rather have her happily share what she is into than complain about what I am trying to expose her to. Plus, half of what she plays is decent, and I'm slightly staying in touch with new music. Only one Taylor Swift song that I can think of, and it's fine. More country than anything, but childishly simplistic. Kinda catchy though.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

1) Some of the best bonding I ever had with my daughter were long, VERY early car rides to softball/soccer games. She picked the music, and 99 percent of it kicked ass. Upbeat alt-pop stuff, like All Time Low and Lourdes and the like.

2) I'm happy to cede control of the music, because I don't like futzing about with that stuff while I'm driving. Both of my "kids" have good musical taste AND what they consider classic rock is stuff that was contemporary for me (and the wife) so it's fine... And/or they are playing The Beetles, The Who and a bunch of stuff from the 60s and 70s that I grew up anyways.

There times, in fact, when I need to move something along that they are discovering because the songs were played to death for ppl our age and I just can't.

I drive 99 percent of the time, regardless of who is in the car.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, I was that way with my daughter, too, when it was just us two. Because, she got comfortable and we could have a good conversation about what was going on with her, without me ever bringing up the subject.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If we're on long drives the audio is mine because I'm driving and I'm listening to the music and everyone else is asleep or reading or on their phones or have headphones in/on. Flipping through the SXM channels really keeps me engaged. I'll stop at a song if requested, but that's about it.

When they were younger I used to let the girls put together mixes (burned to CD) for away trips to soccer games. One per season. That was fun.

On the rare occasion that I drive the oldest somewhere these days and she's in the front and it isn't a long trip she'll call AUX and plug in her phone. When I drop off/pick up the youngest from school and we're not talking she's listening to her phone.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

It's so funny how those tastes change. When my son was in his early-mid teens, he was a big metal fan. Even Norwegian Death Metal. By the time he's 22, when we were driving to the Rose Bowl, he was playing more Boring Old Man music than I was.

"Casey, do we have to listen to Closer to Fine *again*? How about some Maiden?"
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This is pretty great -

I had no idea Stephen Tyler could play a harmonica like that.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He can honk that bobo
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:45 am He can honk that bobo
Damn, rass, some people are Swamping at work.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

I enjoyed that far more than I expected.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Inexplicably woke up with "Sowing the Seeds of Love" stuck in my head.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I was reading about Beyonce's interpretation of Jolene when I learned about this song. I'd never heard of it before, but it's great and hilarious. And from 1968.

Totally Kafkaesque