Home Repairs

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Re: Home Repairs

Post by Brontoburglar »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:50 am oh hell yeah, got a ceiling crack going from the hall closet/pantry in the kitchen to the front wall by the door. textured ceiling too. I'm fairly sure it's because of the sustained below-zero temps we've had recently. time to cross off another accomplishment on the home repair list next week after another cold snap this weekend
i got annoyed at looking at it last night so I filled it in this morning and then painted over it hoping I could call that good and ... nope. noticeable even with matched paint. time to get good at blending ceiling texture
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:16 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:50 am oh hell yeah, got a ceiling crack going from the hall closet/pantry in the kitchen to the front wall by the door. textured ceiling too. I'm fairly sure it's because of the sustained below-zero temps we've had recently. time to cross off another accomplishment on the home repair list next week after another cold snap this weekend
i got annoyed at looking at it last night so I filled it in this morning and then painted over it hoping I could call that good and ... nope. noticeable even with matched paint. time to get good at blending ceiling texture
I would just stop looking at it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

strong advice for a rational brain
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Brontoburglar wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:22 pm strong advice for a rational brain
Yeah, I can't really follow that advice either. I have lots of spots like that. I'm sure nobody else could even see it, but I know where I painted or patched. I just try to care. And if it won't affect resale, fuck it.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Gunpowder wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:07 pm
Cover your floors
10/10 advice. would follow again

waiting for it to dry so I can paint. made another trip to home depot after realizing we didn't have the same ceiling paint (shout out to the people who owned/renovated this house before selling it to us for leaving all the paint and a room by room breakdown of colors and paint codes) to make sure that I had the right ceiling paint. hopefully it'll blend in well enough after two coats that I will soon forget to look up at the ceiling every time I walk through the kitchen
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

we did it. the paint is dry and it is blended in
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Brontoburglar wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:55 amshout out to the people who owned/renovated this house before selling it to us for leaving all the paint and a room by room breakdown of colors and paint codes
That's clutch. Same with having some leftover tiles too.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

The fun of homeownership never ends. My son took out the garbage and comes running in screaming that water is spraying out of the utility closet in the garage. There is a cleanout for the sewer line in there that would backup when we had sewer line issues. I replaced the entire sewer line in October, so I was pissed that didn't fix it. I go in, and there is water flowing out under the door shooting through the closet walls. Open the door, and water is spraying out the top of the water heater. Fortunately, the shutoff valve worked. Called my insanely expensive home maintenance company where I pay a monthly membership for emergency services and the call service tells me someone from dispatch will call back. Hour later I call back, she tells me nobody is answering her calls or texts, she thinks nobody is working tonight. WTF am I pay a membership fee for if you don't have anyone working? She said somebody *MIGHT* call me tonight, but she doesn't know if they are busy or just don't have anyone working. It's a 24-hour service.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Anyone replaced a garage door spring and pulley and metal cords? Guy wanted $950 and I can't do that. Bit worried about my hands and metal parts and tension.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds like we're having a big home ownership day here. Corner of our kitchen counter just broke off.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wrong knife have you chopping too hard?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:16 pm Anyone replaced a garage door spring and pulley and metal cords? Guy wanted $950 and I can't do that. Bit worried about my hands and metal parts and tension.
Our garage door (not used everyday, it’s a glorified storage shed) has been broken for over 15 years, such that I have to use a wrench or something to trip the switch to unlock it.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:16 pm Anyone replaced a garage door spring and pulley and metal cords? Guy wanted $950 and I can't do that. Bit worried about my hands and metal parts and tension.
I think $950 (if the guy will guarantee his work and he has good reviews) is a good price. My dad paid something like $1200 down in Palm Beach Gardens, FL a couple years ago when one of their springs snapped.
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:30 pm
Our garage door (not used everyday, it’s a glorified storage shed) has been broken for over 15 years, such that I have to use a wrench or something to trip the switch to unlock it.
Once Citgo figures out how to fix his, invite him over and he can fix yours next.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:28 pm W...ife... have you ...too hard?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

You should be worried...I was always advised it is dangerous to do on your own for the reasons you said (plus your face/head is another risk). If you can't swing it right now call around and see if anyone has any specials or Val-Pak type coupons.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Never never never change your own spring. Never never never. Unless you are a garage door installer.

NOw that does seem like a steep price but different markets and all that.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:06 pm Never never never change your own spring. Never never never. Unless you are a garage door installer.

NOw that does seem like a steep price but different markets and all that.
I called a garage door company once, I think it was $500 just to show up and there was no promise they could fix the problem. I went the MacGyver route instead.
-Pruitt
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

yeah i don't know anything but please don't fk with your own garage door / springs. my dad almost lost his hand when i was in college because he thought he could be a hero (narrator: he couldn't). it's a shitty and unfun thing to pay for but absolutely a 100% outsource situation.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone ever just have the gas line company come out and perform maintenance on your house? I love in a 2 year old tract home so I'm not sure what this entails, but everything seems to be ok from what I'm watching.

I just find it odd. Apparently it'll be for every house eventually and it seems mine was selected at random.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:59 am Anyone ever just have the gas line company come out and perform maintenance on your house? I love in a 2 year old tract home so I'm not sure what this entails, but everything seems to be ok from what I'm watching.

I just find it odd. Apparently it'll be for every house eventually and it seems mine was selected at random.
Yes, last year they replaced all of the gas lines in town. Dug up the streets, then replaced the lines from the street to every house. They had to go into my basement to disconnect and reconnect to the meter. Also had them in my house a few years ago when we installed a permanent full-house generator. They needed to put in a bigger meter to allow enough gas flow for the generator to work. Seems weird they would need to do this in a 2 year old neighborhood.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

With your last point, I totally agree.

My gas bill is $30-$35 bucks monthly (I bet that's low compared to some of you), so I'm not exactly concerned about it. But if all of a sudden that spikes higher because of this "routine maintenance" line, I'll be annoyed as fuck.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

yeah, they've checked our meters, etc

it's highly doubtful that they'd increase your bill because of that. your bill will show your usage and rate increases are typically always explained (even if you don't like/agree with them)

I also find it hard to gauge what's "cheap" for a specific utility without knowing what people pay overall for gas/water/sewer/electric. our gas bill isn't cheap but also doesn't seem bad relative to other people here -- we have a gas water heater and a gas stove in addition to the furnace. our electric, however, is on the high side probably because of the 20 TVs plugged in in the house + we have dusk-dawn lights on every corner of the house because our suburb doesn't have street lights
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's fair. For Arizona, the electric bill spikes hard in the summer because it's so hot and is pretty low (comparatively) in the winter. My other bills are rather cheap, IMO.

Also, I'm jealous you have 20 TVs. I just have the big one in the living room (86"), the slightly smaller one in the game room (75"), and the more slightly smaller one (55") in the guest bedroom. I don't even think I'd have wall space for that many.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Still rolling with the 27" that I bought for the 2006 World Cup.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have two TVs and 50% are smart TVs. NBD.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Jeebus. We have one tv. If I need a backup I can stream on my laptop.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

20 is an exaggeration; but the tally goes up quickly thanks to my office and the TV wall in the basement
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No TV shaming in this slice of internet heaven.

But I hate people that sleep with TV on. Get fucked
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:57 pm No TV shaming in this slice of internet heaven.

We don’t have a choice, because if we don’t, our dog will bark at passersby our house (we live in a row house where the sidewalk is right outside from our windows. If it’s a torrential rain, we can turn the TV off. Otherwise the drunks stumbling home at 2a will set him off.
Noli Timere Messorem
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:57 pm No TV shaming in this slice of internet heaven.

Consider me fucked cause we fall asleep to Friends every single night. Could we BE any more white?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:52 pm

Consider me fucked cause we fall asleep to Friends every single night. Could we BE any more white?
"American Dad".
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

We get it, you like watching friends in bed with your wife.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:23 pm

"American Dad".
Frasier. (But also American Dad and Family Guy.)

However, my wife sleeps with a Bluetooth sleeping mask, and puts the TV show on the phone. I have the white noise of my CPAP.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I think I'm going to wallpaper one of my walls with TVs now
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

probably easier than peel and stick
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

I got a funk in my sink y'all. There's gotta be a fix for that that involves vinegar probably right?
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pour a cup of baking soda down the drain, wait like 10-15 minutes. Follow with 1/2 cup of vinegar, watch bubbles. Rinse with hot water.

If it's got a disposal you can toss in lemon/orange peel and grind for freshness.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

If it's in the disposal side (assuming you have one) then yeah what rush said. If not, the trap should keep odor form coming up, so you might want to double check for leaks under the sink.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Yeah checked for leaks already. I'll give the baking soda vinegar voodoo a go. Thanks team!