Re: NFL 2024 Offseason

Post by Gunpowder »

Geno was actually good at times with the Jets
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:10 pm Geno was actually good at times with the Jets
He was phenomenal at practices... until they added defenders to drills.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Darnold was also like 17 years old when they drafted him. I've decided I'm convinced a team can't be wrong that many times in the top rounds of the draft with different FOs each time, the org just ruins them. Except Wilson. When he was all uncomfortable in that video at the draft with the other top picks you knew it was over before it started.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 pm Darnold was also like 17 years old when they drafted him. I've decided I'm convinced a team can't be wrong that many times in the top rounds of the draft with different FOs each time, the org just ruins them. Except Wilson. When he was all uncomfortable in that video at the draft with the other top picks you knew it was over before it started.
I agree. Darnold had no weapons and a terrible O-line. The Jets seemingly have a terrible O-line every year since 2008-ish.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Sean, how do we feel about Patrick Queen?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:10 pm Geno was actually good at times with the Jets
Yeah that's what rookie QBs do
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 pm Sean, how do we feel about Patrick Queen?
I like him but not at anything eben near the price he's likely to command
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 pm Darnold was also like 17 years old when they drafted him. I've decided I'm convinced a team can't be wrong that many times in the top rounds of the draft with different FOs each time, the org just ruins them. Except Wilson. When he was all uncomfortable in that video at the draft with the other top picks you knew it was over before it started.
Darnold struggling as rookie/young player is understandable. Darnold having made no improvements at any point in his career however cannot be blamed on being drafted at age 21.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:22 pm
It was his 4th year.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:25 pm
Darnold struggling as rookie/young player is understandable. Darnold having made no improvements at any point in his career however cannot be blamed on being drafted at age 21.
Which is why it’s a head-scratcher that the Vikes seem to believe he is their answer at qb. He’s never shown that anywhere yet. He didn’t even look that good when he started game 17 for the 49ers (although to be fair, it was a game of backups v. backups).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:55 pm Sean, how do we feel about Patrick Queen?
Well they already gave him 3 yrs/41 mil. Seems excessive, right?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

He's a casualty of having to pay Lamar Jackson, otherwise there's no way the Ravens let this guy go.
Noli Timere Messorem
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:44 pm
Wait what? I didn't expect him to be in their market. I thought he'd be getting like 4 years $80 mil, this is great. He's exactly what they want in an ILB, fast and instinctive.

But also light. He's going to miss a lot of tackles, so however you felt about Shazier, you'll probably feel similarly about Queen. He's not nearly the force Shazier was but he's that kind of player.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:00 pm
He's a casualty of having to pay Lamar Jackson, otherwise there's no way the Ravens let this guy go.
They didn't even pick up his option, it's a function of paying Roquan Smith a trillion dollars and Queen having been inconsistent at best before Smith showed up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

All free agent signings (and trades) in all sports should be done via the 4 box model style.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:26 pm
It was his 4th year.
Pretend I inserted a link to all the concerned articles about Patrick Mahomes throwing interceptions in practice in 2018. It's practice. It's been proven unequivocably that Geno Smith can read a defense by this point.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

fwiw. the sense in baltimore was that he was really lost until Roquan arrived and then he flourished because Roquan took over the thinking and directing and freed Queen up to just flow and make plays. If Steelers have someone like that in place at LB next to him probably best way to continue to see him unlocked.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:30 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:25 pm
Which is why it’s a head-scratcher that the Vikes seem to believe he is their answer at qb. He’s never shown that anywhere yet. He didn’t even look that good when he started game 17 for the 49ers (although to be fair, it was a game of backups v. backups).
it's a one-year deal that likely won't come close to paying out the reported $10M -- Drew Lock just got $5M -- so there's no reason to believe at the moment that Darnold is the answer to anything other than filling out a roster spot
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:10 pm
fwiw. the sense in baltimore was that he was really lost until Roquan arrived and then he flourished because Roquan took over the thinking and directing and freed Queen up to just flow and make plays. If Steelers have someone like that in place at LB next to him probably best way to continue to see him unlocked.
He realized his potential when paired with Smith. They were perhaps the best ILB duo in the NFL the past year. Hell, Queen was a 2nd team all-pro. Points for starting every game in four years as a Raven, too.
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

mister d wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:44 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pmThere are some tweets reporting a couple playoff contender-ish teams are kicking the tires on bringing Fields as a backup. Every goddamn story about his trade value in the last month listed it peaking as a third-rounder (except for some unnamed coach saying he would get a second).
I know I don't know shit about NFL valuations and all that, but doesn't this seems really, really wrong? Wouldn't Fields be the Jets best QB in a long time the minute the trade was finalized?
I'm going to try to be complete as possible on this and I don't intend to come off as talking down. Fields is entering his fourth year and, as a first round pick, has a fifth-year team option on his rookie contract for $25,664,000 that would have to be picked up by May 2. While his salary for this year is just over $3.2M, his cap hit and dead cap number are just over $6M because his salary and roster bonus are guaranteed (the rest is one-fourth of the original signing bonus), so his salary cap number is the same whether or not he is on the team.

From his first three seasons, he has been an exceptional runner at quarterback, but a very poor passer who has slowly improved. Last year, he was 29th in completion percentage, 17th in TD rate, 23rd in INT rate, 29th in success rate (think of staying in "positive down and distance"), 21st in adjusted yards per attempt, and 31st in sack rate. To compare to another extremely athletic quarterback who is not thought of as a great passer, Lamar Jackson was in the top 8 of each of those stats, save for sack rate (25th).

Fields carries minimal value in trade because he's under contract for just one year and no one would pick up his option before he even takes a practice snap. The only team right now without a "starter" is Denver, who is eating enough Russell Wilson money, it's apparent they are burning it down to the foundation (Jarrett Stidham - $7M cap hit - and Ben DiNucci are on their roster). Since he is eating up $6M of space on the Bears' roster, they are going to want enough trade compensation to make it worth not having him on their roster.

At this point, it seems their only hope to trade him is if some team who fancies themselves a playoff contender loses their starter in training camp. With the way most starters are kept in bubble wrap before the season starts and Fields' "non-traditional" style of play, that lessens that chance of a trade, too.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:32 pm
tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:10 pm
He realized his potential when paired with Smith. They were perhaps the best ILB duo in the NFL the past year. Hell, Queen was a 2nd team all-pro. Points for starting every game in four years as a Raven, too.
He’s getting paid a lot as a weak side LB. He can’t hold down the middle. He’s not great in pass coverage. Roquan ain’t walking in the door. So if they think he’s the middle LB, take on OL and shed them to make a tackle, he may not be that guy. He’s a solid tackler and fast to the ball and runs all game long. Never realized he never missed a game. Impressive.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:35 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pmThere are some tweets reporting a couple playoff contender-ish teams are kicking the tires on bringing Fields as a backup. Every goddamn story about his trade value in the last month listed it peaking as a third-rounder (except for some unnamed coach saying he would get a second).
I know I don't know shit about NFL valuations and all that, but doesn't this seems really, really wrong? Wouldn't Fields be the Jets best QB in a long time the minute the trade was finalized?
I'm going to try to be complete as possible on this and I don't intend to come off as talking down. Fields is entering his fourth year and, as a first round pick, has a fifth-year team option on his rookie contract for $25,664,000 that would have to be picked up by May 2. While his salary for this year is just over $3.2M, his cap hit and dead cap number are just over $6M because his salary and roster bonus are guaranteed (the rest is one-fourth of the original signing bonus), so his salary cap number is the same whether or not he is on the team.

From his first three seasons, he has been an exceptional runner at quarterback, but a very poor passer who has slowly improved. Last year, he was 29th in completion percentage, 17th in TD rate, 23rd in INT rate, 29th in success rate (think of staying in "positive down and distance"), 21st in adjusted yards per attempt, and 31st in sack rate. To compare to another extremely athletic quarterback who is not thought of as a great passer, Lamar Jackson was in the top 8 of each of those stats, save for sack rate (25th).

Fields carries minimal value in trade because he's under contract for just one year and no one would pick up his option before he even takes a practice snap. The only team right now without a "starter" is Denver, who is eating enough Russell Wilson money, it's apparent they are burning it down to the foundation (Jarrett Stidham - $7M cap hit - and Ben DiNucci are on their roster). Since he is eating up $6M of space on the Bears' roster, they are going to want enough trade compensation to make it worth not having him on their roster.

At this point, it seems their only hope to trade him is if some team who fancies themselves a playoff contender loses their starter in training camp. With the way most starters are kept in bubble wrap before the season starts and Fields' "non-traditional" style of play, that lessens that chance of a trade, too.
So, since a trade is unlikely, it appears the most likely scenario is that the Bears release Fields rather than pick up the option? And, then Fields goes elsewhere as a backup, at a much lower price?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Danielle Hunter to Houston for 2 for $49MM. That’s a great pickup, and the type you do when you have a quality QB (and Edge, for that matter) on their rookie deals.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:02 pm
Wait what? I didn't expect him to be in their market. I thought he'd be getting like 4 years $80 mil, this is great. He's exactly what they want in an ILB, fast and instinctive.

But also light. He's going to miss a lot of tackles, so however you felt about Shazier, you'll probably feel similarly about Queen. He's not nearly the force Shazier was but he's that kind of player.
Sounds fun to me!

Now we're trading Diontae for Donte Jackson? CB for Panthers? Is he good?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:09 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:35 pm

So, since a trade is unlikely, it appears the most likely scenario is that the Bears release Fields rather than pick up the option? And, then Fields goes elsewhere as a backup, at a much lower price?
No the Bears are on the hook for his salary for 2024 anyway so what they’d likely do is decline the 5th year option and keep him as a backup to Williams. Then he’d be a FA next year. Or as DSafe said maybe some desperate team who loses their QB in camp might want to trade for him.

With the way the compensation pick system works if Fields DID sign as a FA somewhere and actually play well Chicago might get a better draft pick than if they dealt him right now. Depending on what his value seems to be. Can get a 3rd round pick as a comp pick.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:41 pm Danielle Hunter to Houston for 2 for $49MM. That’s a great pickup, and the type you do when you have a quality QB (and Edge, for that matter) on their rookie deals.
And he went to high school across the street from where Brian slept a couple nights!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:22 pm
sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:09 pmSo, since a trade is unlikely, it appears the most likely scenario is that the Bears release Fields rather than pick up the option? And, then Fields goes elsewhere as a backup, at a much lower price?
No the Bears are on the hook for his salary for 2024 anyway so what they’d likely do is decline the 5th year option and keep him as a backup to Williams. Then he’d be a FA next year. Or as DSafe said maybe some desperate team who loses their QB in camp might want to trade for him.

With the way the compensation pick system works if Fields DID sign as a FA somewhere and actually play well Chicago might get a better draft pick than if they dealt him right now. Depending on what his value seems to be. Can get a 3rd round pick as a comp pick.
Brian is correct about keeping him and declining the option. The $6M cap space is a sunk cost (and a factor in any trade compensation because if they're going to eat the cap space and not have Fields on the roster, they want enough back in trade to make doing that worthwhile) and they would seemingly need to bring in a backup QB if they cut Fields. I use "seemingly" because I can also see them being dumb enough to make Tyler Bagent (the D2 UDFA who ended up the backup last year) the QB2 and bring back Nathan Peterman, who was their QB3 last year.

Nice to see the local media playing this as "the trade market hasn't materialized" as opposed to blaming them for not making a deal shortly after the combine, which is coincidentally when Mayfield went off the market and Wilson surprisingly came onto the market and removed a potential trade partner. Just another strike against Poles, who did make the trade last year for DJ Moore, but that came at the expense of the only GM who I can say for certain is significantly worse than him. For evidence as to how bad Carolina's GM is...

Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:40 am
Nice to see the local media playing this as "the trade market hasn't materialized" as opposed to blaming them for not making a deal shortly after the combine, which is coincidentally when Mayfield went off the market and Wilson surprisingly came onto the market and removed a potential trade partner. Just another strike against Poles, who did make the trade last year for DJ Moore, but that came at the expense of the only GM who I can say for certain is significantly worse than him. For evidence as to how bad Carolina's GM is...

That is brutal.
Canadian International
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

that tweet is missing the second-rounder they got from the Giants, FYI (and the Panthers now have a new GM who made the Brian Burns deal)

note: this is not a defense, just adding context
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
dem3pigs
Jackie Treehorn

Post by dem3pigs »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:54 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm I think the cap hit over two years but yeesh.
Yes that’s true and important to know but yeesh is accurate.

I don’t get the move personally. If they had someone waiting in the wings maybe but seems like they’d be better trying to make it work with Wilson even if they draft someone like JJ McCarthy.
They needed the office space?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Brontoburglar wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:22 pm that tweet is missing the second-rounder they got from the Giants, FYI (and the Panthers now have a new GM who made the Brian Burns deal)

note: this is not a defense, just adding context
I guess the smart candidates are just passing on Tepper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:29 pm
Gunpowder wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:02 pm

Sounds fun to me!

Now we're trading Diontae for Donte Jackson? CB for Panthers? Is he good?
No, this move is nonsensical. He was decent for like one year in 2019.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Sam Howell to the Seahwks.

Not too many starting QBs get traded along with a 4th and 6th rounder for a 3rd and a 5th.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I'm so starved for a serviceable QB, I'm trying to ignore all this shit and hold out hope he can be a mediocre QB next year and get the Jets into the playoffs. Just let me fucking have this.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

“And then you look at just looking at the world. It orients you and it gives you a curiosity to question what they’ve been telling you about various structures around the world, and there’s some things I look at, and I’m like, did we have Avatar-style home trees here? You look at some of these mountains that are flattened off that look like petrified pieces of trees.

“What would the world look like with free energy and time travel that he was working on? All the other crazy inventions that Nikola Tesla was bringing to this planet. And what would it look like? We knew the real history of what happened to the Library of Alexandria and what was written there. What’s in the library of the Vatican? What secrets are they hiding there that could move this forward?”

“…So I’m fascinated in the Tartarian empire, just like I’m fascinated with what happened with the Greeks and the Egyptians and America and what’s going on in Antarctica and what happened there. There’s a lot of really interesting things that pique my interest, but the buildings especially.
It's crazy how much he sounds exactly like Jordan Peterson.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He sounds like every dumbfuck who secretly knows they’re a dumbfuck but desperately wants to think they’re smart.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:15 pm He sounds like every dumbfuck who secretly knows they’re a dumbfuck but desperately wants to think they’re smart.
Can't remember where I read this, but "Conspiracy theories are a way for stupid people to feel smart."
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Latest issue of Conspiracy Theories Quarterly?