Reading 2023

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Reading 2023

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Okay not out yet but Bill Watterson (yup the Calvin & Hobbs one) has a new book coming out.

https://lithub.com/calvin-hobbes-creato ... n-is-back/
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Saw the comic Gary Gulman recently, but rather than buying the memoir he was selling, I got it at the library and just finished it. Quick, easy read and very entertaining.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

nice - i'll definitely be getting the book as well. he was/is a friend of a friend and i got to see him a few times many years ago living in Boston when he was starting to make a name for himself; hilarious and truly a nice person
sancarlos wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:32 pm Saw the comic Gary Gulman recently, but rather than buying the memoir he was selling, I got it at the library and just finished it. Quick, easy read and very entertaining.

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:46 pm
(AB note: Pretend i didn't cut a picture of the book The Wager out of this part.)

Listening to it now. Absolutely insane.
Finished this earlier this week. I love me a good shipwreck story and this one didn't disappoint. Good from start to finish.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I heard the author interviewed on the "Distraction" podcast a few months back. Finally got around to reading his book, about the Fort McMurray fire in 2016.

Very well done...informative, and terrifying. And it should be required reading for every "climate change is a hoax!" dipshit out there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

About halfway through I Am Pilgrim, a spy thriller by Terry Hayes. Both my parents were pushing this on my at Thanksgiving, and my father wouldn't stand for me waiting for it from the library, so he sent me audiobook files. I've read (listened) to enough to say it's the best book in the genre I've read, and I've read a lot. It feels like 3 or 4 different books that he jumps between and you know they are all going to come together. He economically paints extremely vivid imagery and deep character development and the story is very detailed and intricate. Just frustrated that I have to listen at regular speed, because I want to get through the book faster.

I saw MGM bought the rights to make the movie in 2018 and the hired a director and producer, but I couldn't find anything indicating they cast it or started production. I think this needs to be a series to tell the story.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Sounds great. I just got the e-book through Kindle Unlimited.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

This is a fun book to listen to. Lots of the original cast sharing stories.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

bfj wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:28 pm Image

This is a fun book to listen to. Lots of the original cast sharing stories.
I'm sure there is a reason I could've figured out had I walked the 15 steps to the display, but for some reason this was being sold at the Alamo gift shop last week. I don't recall an Alamo scene in that movie. Does it reference Pee Wee's Big Adventure or something?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I just finished this after starting last night (using my last PTO day from '23 with 0 plans) and thought it was an interesting way to tell a story. It's basically a family drama, and there are three parts that take place during different times of the day on the same date in three consecutive years (morning in '19, afternoon in '20, and evening in '21).

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:42 pm Does it reference Pee Wee's Big Adventure or something?
Airplane was a few years before Pee Wee, so shirley that can't be true.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:46 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:42 pm Does it reference Pee Wee's Big Adventure or something?
Airplane was a few years before Pee Wee, so shirley that can't be true.
First off, that's funny shit.

David Zucker has memorabilia loaned out to them it appears.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Ah, that makes sense. He's no Phil Collins, though.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Giff wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:51 pm Ah, that makes sense. He's no Phil Collins, though.

He certainly isn't a Philadelphia Collins!

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Listening to The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11. Absolutely brutal, but incredibly well done. It's chronological through the day, with interviews from tons of rescue workers, office workers who were in the towers, family members of people who died, then it'll jump to Karl Rove, Condi Rice, Rumsfeld, lots of on-air journalists, Rudy, Bernie Keric... What really got me was the actual recordings of the stewardess from one of the hijacked flights calling air traffic control describing passengers and crew getting stabbed.

They had a lot of actors reading the different transcripts from interviews, and they do a good job. I can't imagine it's as impactful reading the book. Oh, and one thing that really shocked me was the interviews with the two F-16 pilots called out to intercept Flight 93 that crashed in PA. I knew Cheney gave the order to take down the plane (Cheney was interviewed about making this decision), but hearing them discuss their plan was chilling. As they ran to their planes they made a plan. They didn't have time to arm missiles, so one pilot would plan to crash his plane into Flight 93, aiming for the cockpit, while the other said she would shoot off the tail with her guns (sorry if that isn't the right term, Johnnie). Can you imagine being a fighter pilot on a mission over US soil to crash your jet into a fully loaded United 757 plane? FUCK!

I know I've told my story before so I won't repeat it, but listening to this is dragging back the emotions of the day and really the months that followed. Fully in tears at several points yesterday, but I feel like I need to hear these people's stories. My wife thinks I'm crazy for putting myself through this.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Finally got around to reading The Wager. What a great book. I couldn’t put it down!

Before that, I read Geddy Lee’s autobiography. One of the better musician memoirs I have read.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

This is great stuff - a weird true story about the greatest art thief in history.

And unlike so many books about strange but true stories, it is succinctly so it doesn't drag.

Canadian International
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Not too bad a read on a snowy weekend.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, at Pruitt’s suggestion, I just read The Art Thief. I’ll echo his praise. Very good read!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Finished this a couple of days ago...

And its fantastic. About 1/2 way through I was think "Ok...where is this going?", but it totally came together in the end. Very highly recommended.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I don't know if it's just me getting old and cranky, or if it's John Grisham is getting old and just mailing shit in, but...

I just finished the sequel to The Firm and it's probably the worst book I've ever read. I mean, I've read some stuff and just stopped due to boredom, but I felt compelled to finish this because I kept expecting, I dunno... *SOMETHING* compelling to happen.

Woof.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm I don't know if it's just me getting old and cranky, or if it's John Grisham is getting old and just mailing shit in, but...

I just finished the sequel to The Firm and it's probably the worst book I've ever read. I mean, I've read some stuff and just stopped due to boredom, but I felt compelled to finish this because I kept expecting, I dunno... *SOMETHING* compelling to happen.

Woof.
I think he wrote something called The Rooster Club and I had the same sentiment. David Baldacci still puts out readable ones.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I really enjoyed the last two I read. Finished them both in a 4-day span because no way my library is getting an extra dime.

This one is next on the list.

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:49 pm Finished this a couple of days ago...

And its fantastic. About 1/2 way through I was think "Ok...where is this going?", but it totally came together in the end. Very highly recommended.
I read this a few months ago. I was really drawn in at first, then like you said, halfway through I was wondering WTF was happening, then the point of the story completely shifted and it was a nice story. My mother was raving about how amazing it was and that I had to read it, so I went in with super-high expectations and was let down because of that. I discussed it with her afterwards to see why she loved it so much, and she said she didn't remember, she just thought it was a nice read.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:06 pm I really enjoyed the last two I read. Finished them both in a 4-day span because no way my library is getting an extra dime.
Toronto libraries have done away with overdue fines. Kind of odd.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:09 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:49 pm Finished this a couple of days ago...

I read this a few months ago. I was really drawn in at first, then like you said, halfway through I was wondering WTF was happening, then the point of the story completely shifted and it was a nice story. My mother was raving about how amazing it was and that I had to read it, so I went in with super-high expectations and was let down because of that. I discussed it with her afterwards to see why she loved it so much, and she said she didn't remember, she just thought it was a nice read.
[+] spoiler
I enjoyed how he kept introducing new interesting characters, and they all came together to make the story. I didn't know much about it, besides it showing up on a lot of "best of" lists, so I didn't have any expectations.

The author's other book "Deacon King Kong" is also really good.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt IV wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:16 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:06 pm I really enjoyed the last two I read. Finished them both in a 4-day span because no way my library is getting an extra dime.
Toronto libraries have done away with overdue fines. Kind of odd.
Many libraries have actually. They may still have a lost item charge, but dealing with fines costs much more than what they get from people who pay them....that said Worcester MA Public now requires a cat pic payment in place of any fines accrued.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

They don't enforce it at all, but I still like to pay. I have $2.20 ready for them next time assuming I can get through my next three books by Thursday.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:29 pm
The Sybian wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:09 pm

[+] spoiler
I enjoyed how he kept introducing new interesting characters, and they all came together to make the story. I didn't know much about it, besides it showing up on a lot of "best of" lists, so I didn't have any expectations.

The author's other book "Deacon King Kong" is also really good.
I was a much bigger fan of Deacon King Kong.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:06 pm Image
This one was really good. Don't read it while hungry though.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

Wonderfully written book that just sticks with me. I finished it a few weeks ago and I'm still thinking about different parts of it.

Really enjoyed it at first and then got bored with it. And it's embarrassing how much of the 90's I apparently missed.

One thing from this book and a few other things I've watched lately is Prince was pretty much a total asshole and it seems he got a pass for it, unless that's something else I missed.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:49 pm Image
Wonderfully written book that just sticks with me. I finished it a few weeks ago and I'm still thinking about different parts of it.
I've never read a Murakami book(and I've just about all of them) that I wasn't totally blown away by. That guy is just an incredibly talented writer.