Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Random Thoughts About Thoughts Random

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:17 pm The only astronauts I can name come from the Apollo missions/lunar landing era.

An astronaut handed me my diploma and gave my HS commencement speech, and I can't remember his name. He was a graduate of our HS. I did remember Ronald McNair because he was a University at Buffalo alum, and they named a bunch of stuff after him. And their is McNair Academy, a prestigious science HS in Jersey City named after him.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

What's the last thing Sally Ride said?

"What's this button do?"
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt IV wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:23 pm What's the last thing Sally Ride said?

"What's this button do?"
Does this undermine mister d's take?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:17 pm The only astronauts I can name come from the Apollo missions/lunar landing era.
So, my 88 and 83-year-old parents have pre-written their own obituaries. I was helping my mom with hers. She asked me, “Should I mention that I was on the Senatorial campaign staff for [former astronaut who died just before his pending election]?” I replied gently, “No, Mom. Nobody remembers that guy.”
[+] spoiler
Former astronaut Jack Swigert ran for Senator in Colorado back in the 1980s, but as I said above, he died before the election.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's one degree of Kevin Bacon! (okay, maybe 2)
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:57 pm
So, my 88 and 83-year-old parents have pre-written their own obituaries. I was helping my mom with hers. She asked me, “Should I mention that I was on the Senatorial campaign staff for [former astronaut who died just before his pending election]?” I replied gently, “No, Mom. Nobody remembers that guy.”
[+] spoiler
Former astronaut Jack Swigert ran for Senator in Colorado back in the 1980s, but as I said above, he died before the election.
If she has cooler stuff than “worked with an astronaut ejected to the Senate and was played by Kevin Bacon,” you have a lot more to add to the Brushes thread.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Dudes just walk the earth in hospital wristbands. Red flag there.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Even looking at this tweet, the only other name I recall from the Challenger astronauts is Judith Resnik.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:42 pm Even looking at this tweet, the only other name I recall from the Challenger astronauts is Judith Resnik.

What's amazing about that is 25 miles from shore and the compartment was only 100 feet deep on the ocean floor. 25 miles out from WPB to Miami you're in the Florida Valley which is something like 6000 to 9000 feet deep.
Noli Timere Messorem
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

As y'all know I left CU last Fall because of politics, and decided to get back into teaching, well a teacher librarian. The Colorado DoE is not very helpful and has a convoluted website. They told me that I'd need to go back to school and get 24 credits (within two years) on top of the Masters and almost 20 years of experience when I asked upping my certification to work in the library (I'm still certified to teach HS Social Studies.) I took a tech/library job at a K-8 school to get back in the gig, and I like it but I am waaaay over-qualified. Today I was registering for the classes and asked the program director if they could review my transcripts and resume and see if I can qualify out of any classes. Well, looks like there's a licensing procedure that gives certs to folks with advanced degrees and experience so I don't need to take any classes! May still take a youth lit class or 2 to get that part of my knowledge up to par.

But phew.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good for you, bud!
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:59 am Good for you, bud!
Thanks my guy. Enjoy the current gig, sort of mentor to my boss. She's going through the cert process now (used to teach 2nd grade until this year) and she's helping to get into the swing of non-academic librarianship. Plus, she's got intel on jobs coming up so I can get a leg up.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Nice!
Canadian International
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:21 am As y'all know I left CU last Fall because of politics, and decided to get back into teaching, well a teacher librarian. The Colorado DoE is not very helpful and has a convoluted website. They told me that I'd need to go back to school and get 24 credits (within two years) on top of the Masters and almost 20 years of experience when I asked upping my certification to work in the library (I'm still certified to teach HS Social Studies.) I took a tech/library job at a K-8 school to get back in the gig, and I like it but I am waaaay over-qualified. Today I was registering for the classes and asked the program director if they could review my transcripts and resume and see if I can qualify out of any classes. Well, looks like there's a licensing procedure that gives certs to folks with advanced degrees and experience so I don't need to take any classes! May still take a youth lit class or 2 to get that part of my knowledge up to par.

But phew.
Actually surprised they hired you with a Masters and your experience in education settings. Indiana will only take those that are switching from being a nurse or business person because their experience means nothing to them in regards to teaching.

Good for you. Glad you don't have to do all the extra bullshit they said you were going to do.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

duff wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:56 pm Actually surprised they hired you with a Masters and your experience in education settings.
I taught for 5 years before I went to library school, and I think they wanted library help. As I said the librarian was a 2nd-grade teacher before September and the person there before was useless. The library is in shit shape, I've been pulling books from the 80s out of the collection.

And thanks, they are terribly short of librarians across the district, so let's make it difficult for people for the jobs!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Rush2112 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:24 pm The library is in shit shape, I've been pulling books from the 80s out of the collection.
?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 am
Rush2112 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:24 pm The library is in shit shape, I've been pulling books from the 80s out of the collection.
?
Same thought. Are they falling apart? What's wrong with old books?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:42 am
?
50 copies of The Art of the Deal.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:45 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:42 am
?
50 copies of The Art of the Deal.
Elementary school kids love Trump.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I have four clocks in my kitchen (analog wall clock, oven, microwave, coffee maker), and not only do none of them tell the same time, none of them tell the correct time to the minute either.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Why are there clocks on appliances at all?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:31 am I have four clocks in my kitchen (analog wall clock, oven, microwave, coffee maker), and not only do none of them tell the same time, none of them tell the correct time to the minute either.
I have three of the same four. (No coffee maker because I pour over.) Whenever the time changes, like this weekend, I play a little game with myself and see how fast I can change them all to the correct time so they all flip to each new minute pretty much in concert.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:06 am Why are there clocks on appliances at all?
Probably from a time when we didn't have smart phones to know the time no matter when. Or maybe to do with timing of baking/cooking without an actual timer? I don't know, why are you asking me?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My understanding is that when digital push button displays and timers became part of the deal for ovens and microwaves, might as well just make them active clocks for time telling.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, you have a timer on an oven and a microwave for cooking time, anyway. Might as well just make it a clock, as well.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Exactly, making it a 'convenience' that requires routine maintenance to function properly, even though its function is redundant (unless you don't have a cell phone, watch, or clock).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Maybe we can DISRUPT the industry by selling a subscription based service to change clocks for people. $9.99 per month, each additional clock after the 1st one is just $4.99, will come out after power outages and guarantee an update within 24 hours of a time change or that month is free.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

mister d wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:41 pm Maybe we can DISRUPT the industry by selling a subscription based service to change clocks for people. $9.99 per month, each additional clock after the 1st one is just $4.99, will come out after power outages and guarantee an update within 24 hours of a time change or that month is free.
We all laugh, but there's a non-zero chance someone has already made that pitch.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

After going 12 years strong with my current laptop it came time to get a new one. And man, night and day upgrade. Plus it's a gaming one, so it has all of these pretty colors and large HD screen. And, best of all, it was on sale for $600 from the BX website. So....no tax and free shipping. Just a steal.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I got a guy here since 8:15 am installing SimpliSafe and I really need to take my #2 #2, the big one for after the morning coffee kicks in.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

oof

My #1#2 has moved from a convenient early morning slot to like 8pm and it's f'd everything up. I want my old schedule back :(
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:20 am oof

My #1#2 has moved from a convenient early morning slot to like 8pm and it's f'd everything up. I want my old schedule back :(
The Swamp is just a couple years away from a thread "share your surgery scars." We are getting old. We are probably ready for a thread on our secrets to staying regular.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm a first thing every morning type guy since I typically wake up between 6-7 every day. I hate it when my wife has to wake up before me because all it takes is someone's alarm going off to tell my bowels to start preparing. Got to work 30 minutes earlier than usual today though!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

P.D.X. wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:20 amMy #1#2 has moved from a convenient early morning slot to like 8pm and it's f'd everything up. I want my old schedule back :(
Ha. I got all screwed up yesterday because of the dentist and had the same and texted a friend #PMBM. Feel free to use that if you don't get things straight.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm like a canine. I have to go #2 pretty soon after each meal. Or coffee in the morning. I have to be careful to not slug my coffee too early because my 30 minute commute would be problematic otherwise.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

When I’m uh ‘irregular’ I just mix in some Miralax into a 6oz glass of water. Belt it, and then make sure I’m within walking distance to a bathroom over the next hour or so.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I spend a lot more time thinking about and planning BMs in this new job.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:54 am When I’m uh ‘irregular’ I just mix in some Miralax into a 6oz glass of water. Belt it, and then make sure I’m within walking distance to a bathroom over the next hour or so.
Never tried a laxative, but Metamucil is pretty fantastic. No need to worry about staying near a bathroom, but when you have to go, it's glorious.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I just go with cabbage soup.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:15 pm I just go with cabbage soup.
Before Memorial Day?!?!?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.