NCAA Basketball 23-24

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Shirley
The Dude

Re: NCAA Basketball 23-24

Post by Shirley »

I hope none of you watched the last few minutes of that UVA-NC State game. Let's pretend it never happened.
Totally Kafkaesque
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:33 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:14 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:51 pm Is there a more unlikable coach than Dan Hurley?
He was a real twit for his first few years in college, no real surprise he coaches the same way.
I don’t know if that guy actually got kicked out but I love Pitino telling him not to leave.

Yes mister d I realize Pitino has had his own issues!
Pitino gave him, Tom O’Grady, those tickets as he’s a longtime instigator / friend since his days at Louisville. IMO he was planted there to do just that (get under Hurley’s skin).

As far as Hurley? He’s got the UCONN basketball program back on top of the college basketball world. Given how far Kevin Ollie sunk the program after Calhoun retired? I like that he pisses off fans of the blue bloods who have long since pulled up the ladder to join their club. I’d gather most would much rather have him as their HC than their current one. The fact he catches some collateral fans in the process? Eh.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Houston got freakin destroyed tonight. So much so that you have to wonder if Tennessee had reached the SEC final that maybe Houston would be looking at a 2 seed.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

One game shouldn't matter that much. At least not for seeding. Houston earned their 1 seed. That said, getting blown out like that is really eye opening and should definitely affect their Vegas odds for a title.
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

BTW, I can't get over how UVA went from #3 in the ACC and a few seconds from the ACC Tournament title game to probably out of the NCAA Tournament altogether. All for want of one more made free throw out of the last 5 or so they took and missed.
Totally Kafkaesque
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Don't bring the cart out in hoops much. Florida
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Parents on the court. Snapped leg huh
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Ok. Forget about all that and wipe your eyes and go win
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, Shirley, big game on Tuesday!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:41 pm Well, Shirley, big game on Tuesday!
I thought of you!

And maaaan, what a relief that UVA got in. I know that lots of folks are going to bitch about that, and I totally get it. It's impossible to fill all the final spots in a way that everyone agrees with. Some teams are going to feel like they were screwed. But if you find yourself on the bubble, it's because you had some slip-ups that made it possible to get screwed.
Totally Kafkaesque
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:51 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:41 pm Well, Shirley, big game on Tuesday!
I thought of you!

And maaaan, what a relief that UVA got in. I know that lots of folks are going to bitch about that, and I totally get it. It's impossible to fill all the final spots in a way that everyone agrees with. Some teams are going to feel like they were screwed. But if you find yourself on the bubble, it's because you had some slip-ups that made it possible to get screwed.
That’s where I am with The Hall not making it in. They were a bubble team before, and after St. John’s handed them their asses in the BE tourney, I mentally checked out. Beating UConn earlier in the year before the Huskies got their shit together would’ve been carrying a lot more weight than maybe what was deserved.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Super stoked to be in Lake Charles for the McNeese St. first-round game.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Giff wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:10 am Super stoked to be in Lake Charles for the McNeese St. first-round game.
Gonzaga is definitely beatable....they got their shit together, starting with the Kentucky game, but they are still lousy shooting from the outside.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Seems like I’ve still got some stereotypes alive and well in my brain.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:23 am
Giff wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:10 am Super stoked to be in Lake Charles for the McNeese St. first-round game.
Gonzaga is definitely beatable....they got their shit together, starting with the Kentucky game, but they are still lousy shooting from the outside.
I’d say that having the game in Salt Lake City definitely helps Gonzaga, though.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

It would not be a stretch to say Christian Shumate is the best in-game dunker in college basketball.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

L-Jam3 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:07 pmThat’s where I am with The Hall not making it in. They were a bubble team before, and after St. John’s handed them their asses in the BE tourney, I mentally checked out. Beating UConn earlier in the year before the Huskies got their shit together would’ve been carrying a lot more weight than maybe what was deserved.
I mostly root against the new Big East but, as a local, I like Seton Hall and Holloway. However, the whole "13 wins in-conference" is a complete nonsense argument given (1) they were spotted four by having two teams that won zero games against anyone but each other and (2) playing more games in conference than anyone else. 13 in the Big East is less than 12 in a normal 18 game conference. Overall, its super funny to have them only get three.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Driving through Salt Lake today and realized that there are five DI basketball schools in the Salt Lake metro area and all five play in different conferences (PAC-12, Big 12, Mountain West, Big Sky, WAC).

Of course that changes next year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Is 23 percent shooting bad?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Airball free throw says it all
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

One more win than anyone else in the tournament, so far!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My apologies to everyone who had to watch or even read about that mess. For some reason this particular uva team would occasionally show up to games with no interest in playing hard in offense. You could usually see it in the first few possessions, which was true last night.

Ugh. They could probably stand to throw away the whole team and start over. And Bennett needs to rethink his entire offensive strategy and probably go get a new coach with fresh ideas. The problem is how does this program recruit after that? All the har har half-informed anti-uva hot takes of the past few years are pretty much true now, or were with this team.

Maybe this could have gone in the other thread. I’m not OK.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:59 pm One more win than anyone else in the tournament, so far!
Beating Howard doesn't count?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am My apologies to everyone who had to watch or even read about that mess. For some reason this particular uva team would occasionally show up to games with no interest in playing hard in offense. You could usually see it in the first few possessions, which was true last night.

Ugh. They could probably stand to throw away the whole team and start over. And Bennett needs to rethink his entire offensive strategy and probably go get a new coach with fresh ideas. The problem is how does this program recruit after that? All the har har half-informed anti-uva hot takes of the past few years are pretty much true now, or were with this team.

I know I tend to make everything about Michigan, but... I'm finding the message board chatter about coaches funny. Particularly, the idea that Bennett might be lured away to coach there. Reading your posts, especially this year... It's like some M followers aren't actually paying attention to what's going on with the Hoos program.

Not saying he's a bad coach, but he's not the lock solid choice some are making him out to be.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 amMy apologies to everyone who had to watch or even read about that mess. For some reason this particular uva team would occasionally show up to games with no interest in playing hard in offense. You could usually see it in the first few possessions, which was true last night.

Honored that their season high (84) came against Syracuse.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

hes a solid coach. just not someone you would ever want to bring into a program that can out recruit its conference. basically the triple option.
besides why would they subject their fans to that kind of atrocity
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pretty sure Indiana State could have put up at least 45.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:24 am Maybe this could have gone in the other thread. I’m not OK.
I turned on the game and saw the 14 points scored at halftime, and thought "Oh...poor Shirley"....
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Colorado St is solid, but there are at least three dozen programs that would’ve put up a better game than UVA did last night. There’s a lot to unpack here. Yeah, CTB has the spotlight on him (as he should), but their ACC SoS was weak as hell when you look at how they finished third in the ACC this season. Then there’s the selection committee that has six ways to Sunday to justify including P5 schools at the expense of teams that just don’t have the same opp to a built in SoS advantage.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Don't get it twisted. I'm not at ALL suggesting that Virginia move on from Bennett or that he's not a great coach. A little perspective - this "terrible" team finished 3rd in the ACC this year. And they've won (outright or tied) the ACC regular season 6 times in the last 11 years. Duke and UNC have combined to do so only 5 times. And that's including the relatively down years since UVA won the title.

It's just that this year's team had very limited offensive talent and had a number of games where they fell apart. Very unusual for Bennett's teams to get blown out, but this team did a bunch. That said - they were a couple of bad missed free throws away from avoiding the miracle comeback by NC State and would have played in the ACC Championship game against UNC. This team was usually quite solid. Just not last night.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:48 pm Driving through Salt Lake today and realized that there are five DI basketball schools in the Salt Lake metro area and all five play in different conferences (PAC-12, Big 12, Mountain West, Big Sky, WAC).

Of course that changes next year.
And they say there's no diversity here.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

This is the year I finally strike gold on my COLOST? O MY! t-shirts
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Rex wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:46 pm This is the year I finally strike gold on my COLOST? O MY! t-shirts
Ha!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If Montana State holds on I’m picking them next game because I went to the Museum of the Rockies on their campus last August and it had some mind-blowing fossils.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:48 pm If Montana State holds on I’m picking them next game because I went to the Museum of the Rockies on their campus last August and it had some mind-blowing fossils.
And, the Bozeman area is beautiful.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Haha. The Blackest school
In the field beat the whitest school.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:53 pm
L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:48 pm If Montana State holds on I’m picking them next game because I went to the Museum of the Rockies on their campus last August and it had some mind-blowing fossils.
And, the Bozeman area is beautiful.
Amen. Between that, and the all-day Yellowstone tour…. That was awe-inspiring.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:56 pm Haha. The Blackest school
BYU sez hold my beer.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 pm
BYU sez hold my beer.
I’m pretty sure 20 percent of the Black students on Montana State’s campus are scholarship athletes.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:11 pm
sancarlos wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 pm
BYU sez hold my beer.
I’m pretty sure 20 percent of the Black students on Montana State’s campus are scholarship athletes.
True, but I think black Mormons are pretty rare.