Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by rass »

Saw it in the theater and managed to get my wife into her seat believing it was a real documentary. Fun!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Double feature on my flight last night.

1.) Mission Impossible (the one with Tom Cruise jumping the bike off the mountain). Good idea but full of big flaws. And I can usually suspend my disbelief. The self-driving car item is the one that got me angry. Nice commercial placement I guess. Also I have lost track of all of Ethan Hunt's love interests. At least James Bond there was very little through line for the women. I just can't tell them apart. But as for action scenes, fun fight and action scenes. Interesting camera work for them is where the unique aspect comes from.

2.) Renfield. Perfect stupid 90 minute airplane movie. Nick Cage and Ben Schwartz were great casting for this movie. Fun plot idea, moved along well. I did not hate Aqwafina in the role, but still generally don't find her funny or a capable actress. The lesser characters were great.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My family got mad at me for not liking the Mission Impossible "villain" of an evil, all-powerful AI. It crossed my suspension of disbelief line, but obviously not theirs. It struck me as written by people who don't really understand computers (which isn't unusual).
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:42 am Double feature on my flight last night.

1.) Mission Impossible (the one with Tom Cruise jumping the bike off the mountain). Good idea but full of big flaws. And I can usually suspend my disbelief. The self-driving car item is the one that got me angry. Nice commercial placement I guess. Also I have lost track of all of Ethan Hunt's love interests. At least James Bond there was very little through line for the women. I just can't tell them apart. But as for action scenes, fun fight and action scenes. Interesting camera work for them is where the unique aspect comes from.
I enjoyed that movie...but did wonder just how big Ving Rhames is this days. Did we ever see him moving or walking? Or even a full frame shot?
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:06 am
Giff wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:40 am Saw The Blair Witch Project in the theater last night as part of a friend's "film club". I have always hated that movie because the only time I saw it was probably the worst movie-going experience of my life. We got there late so we were on the front row which is always awful, but even more so for a movie with a shaky cam the whole time. Then the guy next to me pulled a beer out of his pocket and when he opened it, it blew up over both of us. So front row, half-covered in beer and nauseous from the shaky cam. Good times. But I decided to go last night and I actually really enjoyed it! I was happy Heather died!
Spoiler alert! Really wanted to see it when it came out, never did.
I don't watch horror movies, but I did watch "Blair Witch Project" and it took maybe 20 years for me to be able to...
[+] spoiler
See two or more sticks laying in proximity to each other
...without worrying about my immediate future.
Canadian International
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was looking for an easy 90 minutes and ended up on the ‘cock and watched Ticket to Paradise which easily could have coasted home on Clooney and Roberts and pretty much did but respect to them for wrangling time in Bali for the crew and it took me the whole movie but I realized the daughter and her friend were the tween who vexed Raylan Givens in the OG Justified series and Carrie Fisher’s daughter.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:13 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:06 am
Giff wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:40 am Saw The Blair Witch Project in the theater last night as part of a friend's "film club". I have always hated that movie because the only time I saw it was probably the worst movie-going experience of my life. We got there late so we were on the front row which is always awful, but even more so for a movie with a shaky cam the whole time. Then the guy next to me pulled a beer out of his pocket and when he opened it, it blew up over both of us. So front row, half-covered in beer and nauseous from the shaky cam. Good times. But I decided to go last night and I actually really enjoyed it! I was happy Heather died!
Spoiler alert! Really wanted to see it when it came out, never did.
I don't watch horror movies, but I did watch "Blair Witch Project" and it took maybe 20 years for me to be able to...
[+] spoiler
See two or more sticks laying in proximity to each other
...without worrying about my immediate future.
I took a girl who lived in the same apartment courtyard as I did when I lived in Fells Point to see Blair Witch.

I made the mistake of piling some twigs and small rocks at her doorstep. She didn't like it.

I thought it was freakin hilarious. Still do.
Noli Timere Messorem
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Past Lives (Prime) is pretty good. Great for watching with your wife.

And The Count (Netflix) is as bizarre as they come. Probably the best film I've ever seen about a South American dictator who is actually a vampire.
Canadian International
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:49 am Past Lives (Prime) is pretty good. Great for watching with your wife.
Aggressive start to the week.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:54 am
Pruitt IV wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:49 am Past Lives (Prime) is pretty good. Great for watching with your wife.
Aggressive start to the week.
Saturday night special.
Canadian International
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Dune 2 was pretty great. I didn't get a fuck bucket.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:55 pm Dune 2 was pretty great. I didn't get a fuck bucket.
Didn't get the full experience.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Watched killers of the flower moon.

I think it fell apart in the last 30 or so.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:15 pm Watched killers of the flower moon.

I think it fell apart in the last 30 or so.
Coincidentally, I watched it yesterday too (on a plane). Pretty depressing story, all in all. I didn't have the same thought about the last 30 minutes, but in hindsight, it does seem like they kind of rushed through the last part (the trials). Which is odd for a movie that long.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

American Fiction was good, but not great. Really thought the last twenty minutes or so were pretty poor.
Canadian International
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Wicked Little Letters was more than excellent
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I watched Old Boy with my son the other night. The original Korean one, not the Spike Lee remake. I had seen it once about 10 years ago. What a great, fucked up movie. It sort of defies categorization, and I won't say much about it to avoid spoiling any of it. But if you haven't seen it, I suggest checking it out. It's on Netflix right now.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:59 pm I watched Old Boy with my son the other night. The original Korean one, not the Spike Lee remake. I had seen it once about 10 years ago. What a great, fucked up movie. It sort of defies categorization, and I won't say much about it to avoid spoiling any of it. But if you haven't seen it, I suggest checking it out. It's on Netflix right now.
I went and saw it at the theatre last year when they did a quick re-release. So good and definitely fucked up.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We went and saw Dune 2 this afternoon....and while it was good, and incredibly well made (Javier Bardem was a bad ass)...I got a big question:
[+] spoiler
How the fuck did the Sand Worms go from a terrifying creature, to being able to be used a freakin' GreyHound bus? Complete with the wicker basket carriage for the pregnant lady?

And who did they dismount? I really wanted to see that.
and...
[+] spoiler
Timothee Chalamet has an amazing head of hair. But did he get CheekBone implants?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Tucson represent!!

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Finished up Oldboy last night and then started Brimstone (2016 - Dakota Fanning, Guy Pierce) so was coincidentally treated to two scenes in one night where the lead character...
[+] spoiler
...cuts off their own tongue
oy
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

duff wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:51 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:55 pm Dune 2 was pretty great. I didn't get a fuck bucket.
Didn't get the full experience.
Didn’t love it. I think the part that gets me is everyone talks about how impossible it is to film. But just make it basically black and white. Use tight shots. And show a bunch of cgi sand.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Didn't realize everyone was watching movies with their daughters yesterday when we had a matinee showing of "Say Anything", which doesn't have a dedicated Swamp movie thread (I popped out a couple times to check email, but nothing was going on). Talked with her for about 10 minutes this morning about it, including the juxtaposition of bathtubs.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So conflicted about this. This will take great writing...but Neeson as Nielson is an interesting choice. Based on his scene in Ted I am sure he can pull it off.
https://apnews.com/article/naked-gun-re ... d5095f299b
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Here's another good one from him. I think it's pretty good casting. Instead of trying to do Nielsen, you get to spoof the spoof.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not saying he can't be funny, but I don't see him as Drebin. The genius of Nielsen is that he took himself too seriously while being a lowkey buffoon. Kind of Peter Sellers-esque.

I just don't see Liam being able to have that undercurrent of buffoonery. That scene in the posted clip kind of proves the point. He's great playing someone that "doesn't get it" but it's not silly, it's an overly serious guy missing the joke. And it's very funny. Just not Drebin funny.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The whole point of Drebin (and the doctor on Airplane!) is that they acted the whole time like they weren’t in on the joke.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:44 am I'm not saying he can't be funny, but I don't see him as Drebin. The genius of Nielsen is that he took himself too seriously while being a lowkey buffoon. Kind of Peter Sellers-esque.

I just don't see Liam being able to have that undercurrent of buffoonery. That scene in the posted clip kind of proves the point. He's great playing someone that "doesn't get it" but it's not silly, it's an overly serious guy missing the joke. And it's very funny. Just not Drebin funny.
Nielsen was solely a dramatic actor before Airplane and Naked Gun. I dunno. I can see Neeson nailing it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I also think Kevin James might be a good Captain Ed. As for Nordberg, is Rashee Rice busy?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:14 am I also think Kevin James might be a good Captain Ed. As for Nordberg, is Rashee Rice busy?
Patrick Warburton > Kevin James
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Also saw a thing about remaking Meatballs...pretty sure that was just fake news/goof. That Andy Sandberg as Tripper. That movie feels like a tough remake these days.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:37 am
A_B wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:14 am I also think Kevin James might be a good Captain Ed. As for Nordberg, is Rashee Rice busy?
Patrick Warburton > Kevin James
Puddy could do it, alright! Kevin James sucks donkey balls.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

brian wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:08 am Nielsen was solely a dramatic actor before Airplane and Naked Gun. I dunno. I can see Neeson nailing it.
Most notably...as the Captain in "The Poseidon Adventure"!

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

yessss

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I couldn't love Alien or Aliens much more. They're both brilliant movies. But I haven't really liked a movie in the series since. Alien 3 was a huge disappointment. Prometheus was better, but still wasn't that good. It certainly didn't live up to the hype.

I hope they get this one right. I'm curious to hear the reviews.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Flew out to Colorado yesterday to see my folks, and watched the Ridley Scott/Joaquin Phoenix "Napoleon" movie (or at least the first half...up to the Austerlitz battle scene).

WooBoy, that movie is bad. It looks great, and the battle scenes are good, but the rest of it? Yikes. I've got no idea what affect Phoenix was going for, but I would have expected that Napoleon would have a bit of charisma at least.

And who knew he was such a horn dog?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

This'll make you think.

Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just went and saw Dune 2. Really liked it. Worth seeing in the theater.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »