Presidential Election 2024

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Presidential Election 2024

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Now that its a big story, NBC has discovered that Britt has been telling this same story for a while.

Sen. Katie Britt has told her misleading anecdote about sex trafficking multiple times
Sen. Katie Britt, R-Ala., has come under fire in recent days over allegations that she misrepresented the story of a sex trafficking victim in the Republican response to the State of the Union last week.

An NBC News review of her remarks over the last year shows it’s an anecdote she’s used often to criticize the Biden administration’s border policies, though the victim she references was trafficked through Mexico roughly two decades ago.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Remember that video a couple years ago where every local Sinclair-owned TV station had their anchors spouting the exact same thing?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, that dude is being prosecuted now under what seem like incredibly bullshit pretenses. He "hacked" fox news by searching up pages that they didn't delete or encrypt or something like that.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:14 pm Yeah, that dude is being prosecuted now under what seem like incredibly bullshit pretenses. He "hacked" fox news by searching up pages that they didn't delete or encrypt or something like that.
@bubbaprog, aka Tim Burke. The charges are accurately described by you as incredibly bullshit. It's been kinda big news down here. He's married to a progressive city councilwoman (who won her first election right around the time he had his computers seized). Then, the DOJ waited a long time to actually charge him with anything. His local counsel is an acquaintance of mine. Haven't talked with him about the case. It sounds like the main thing that got the case going wasn't the Sinclair stuff, but the release of the very inflammatory Kanye stuff that was never aired until Tim posted it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:14 pm Yeah, that dude is being prosecuted now under what seem like incredibly bullshit pretenses. He "hacked" fox news by searching up pages that they didn't delete or encrypt or something like that.
Defector had a story about this case a couple of weeks ago...

Tim Burke’s Indictment Is A Political Choice Disguised As A Legal Act
Last week, the journalist Tim Burke was arrested in Florida after a grand jury charged him with 14 federal crimes: seven counts of unlawfully intercepting or disclosing wire, oral, or electronic communications; six counts of accessing a protected computer without authorization; and one count of conspiring to do those things. The indictment sprinkles a handful of cinematic verbs across 26 pages of what is otherwise legalese and boilerplate, accusing Burke of “scouring” computers and “exploiting” information he “deemed desirable.” If convicted, Burke, who previously worked at Deadspin and The Daily Beast, faces up to 62 years in prison, depending on how magnanimous the judge feels at sentencing. (Disclosure: The majority of Defector's staff worked with Tim Burke at Deadspin.)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hahahahahhahaha. Whatever you say, Tin Man. He's exactly the type of Republican you want. You just don't like his delivery and tone.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

8 years too late, Tin Man. (I love that)
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

He’s mainly just sticking up for his daughter.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I'm starting to assume that the mainstream media is doing anything to talk up TGS's chances of keeping this closer than it will be solely for the clicks, because if this comes down to the sizes of the war chests, it's going to be a veritable ass-whupping.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:03 am I'm starting to assume that the mainstream media is doing anything to talk up TGS's chances of keeping this closer than it will be solely for the clicks, because if this comes down to the sizes of the war chests, it's going to be a veritable ass-whupping.
Unfortunately, all of his buffoonery brings about a ton of press coverage. And while press coverage of things like your 4 criminal trials and 91 indictments SHOULD be a negative, his cult are brainwashed into being more supportive because of his crimes. I'm sure all of his free publicity goes further than the money Biden will spend.
-Pruitt
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am
L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:03 am I'm starting to assume that the mainstream media is doing anything to talk up TGS's chances of keeping this closer than it will be solely for the clicks, because if this comes down to the sizes of the war chests, it's going to be a veritable ass-whupping.
Unfortunately, all of his buffoonery brings about a ton of press coverage. And while press coverage of things like your 4 criminal trials and 91 indictments SHOULD be a negative, his cult are brainwashed into being more supportive because of his crimes. I'm sure all of his free publicity goes further than the money Biden will spend.
We probably should also factor that next fall when the Covid wave returns, a huge portion of his supporters won’t get the vax/boost. And since he told them that mail-in voting is a fraud, they won’t be able to cast their ballots on Election Day because they’ll be drowning in their own pulmonary mucus.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:17 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am
We probably should also factor that next fall when the Covid wave returns, a huge portion of his supporters won’t get the vax/boost. And since he told them that mail-in voting is a fraud, they won’t be able to cast their ballots on Election Day because they’ll be drowning in their own pulmonary mucus.
We should also factor in that legacy media is not yet covering him as someone who is making a lot of statements that suggest careening into authoritarianism if he wins.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The one thing in our collective favor is Trump can’t stop shooting himself in the foot.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

seems he's run out of new material
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:04 pm seems he's run out of new material
He ran out of material over 3 years ago. That's why people walk out of his rallies in droves. Amazes me how the people who call Libs snowflakes worship a guy who does nothing except complain that he is treated unfairly.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:45 pm
He ran out of material over 3 years ago. That's why people walk out of his rallies in droves. Amazes me how the people who call Libs snowflakes worship a guy who does nothing except complain that he is treated unfairly.
His fans don't seem to notice that he never discusses policy or a platform. I get that for the loons, but it's infuriating that the party regulars endorse him simply because he has the R label, despite no apparent principles.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:51 pm
His fans don't seem to notice that he never discusses policy or a platform. I get that for the loons, but it's infuriating that the party regulars endorse him simply because he has the R label, despite no apparent principles.
They got what they wanted, control of the Supreme Court and Federal judges.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:00 pm
And a big tax cut.

To be "fair," the main GOP policy is "stop liberalism in all its forms." Trump is solidly on board with that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:09 pm
The Sybian wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:00 pm
And a big tax cut.

To be "fair," the main GOP policy is "stop liberalism in all its forms." Trump is solidly on board with that.
And “let darker-skinned people suffer” is a principle in common with TFG and the GOP.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

So this is what precipitated my initial post. I get the New York Times morning newsletter that I read during my #1 or #2 #2 depending on when I get up. Today's was discussing, in their own words "the rightward shift among voters of color". It then continues for (I counted) 18 paragraphs and 2 graphs suggesting that TFG is polling better among minorities. Which sure, that's an analysis. But further down the email under the 2024 Elections heading is a one-sentence bullet point reading "Biden's campaign had more than twice the amount of money the Trump campaign had at the end of the month."

And sure, that's a pretty straightforward factual statement which can be easily expressed in a single sentence, but it'd be nice to see why there's such a discrepancy, and more importantly, how impactful that is. I guess I'm just more disappointed in their stance. I expect CNN to try and analyze the election ad infinitum; they have 24 hours in the day they have to fill. But I guess I expected better from The Gray Lady.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

its a big issue here. republicans have done a better job courting black votes that democrats in this town. Hell the GOP took over 40% of my office a couple years ago. Hershel came by. Not sure ive ever seen a democratic candidate for anything other than local elections which are all democratic infighting. fwiw College Park is a huge airport, a huge private school and a ton of black folks.

Its not that Biden wont win its the margins and the complete lack of enthusiasm among black folks. Theres still time and the message needs to be anti trump not pro biden but reduced margins and reduced turnout is a killer for biden here. Id say the UGA killing has pretty much doomed Georgia for biden. The guy will have to win this on the backs of midwestern white folks... Paths have been cut down. FL and GA are dead. AZ and NM have to be impacted by immigration politics. Beyond that its pretty much NV, NC and the upper midwest. Feels like the only path and im not even sure thats enough.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

HaulCitgo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:21 pm its a big issue here. republicans have done a better job courting black votes that democrats in this town. Hell the GOP took over 40% of my office a couple years ago. Hershel came by. Not sure ive ever seen a democratic candidate for anything other than local elections which are all democratic infighting. fwiw College Park is a huge airport, a huge private school and a ton of black folks.

Its not that Biden wont win its the margins and the complete lack of enthusiasm among black folks. Theres still time and the message needs to be anti trump not pro biden but reduced margins and reduced turnout is a killer for biden here. Id say the UGA killing has pretty much doomed Georgia for biden. The guy will have to win this on the backs of midwestern white folks... Paths have been cut down. FL and GA are dead. AZ and NM have to be impacted by immigration politics. Beyond that its pretty much NV, NC and the upper midwest. Feels like the only path and im not even sure thats enough.
Black folks don't want the police defunded. Latinos don't want to hear about Black Lives. And no one is happy about Gaza.

Edit: And a ton of Liberals and Leftists are mad because Biden hasn't cancelled student loan debt.

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Traffic must have been hell last night.

Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Just another reminder that women's rights are going to play a huge role in November.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... tion=alert

FL SC just enshrined some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country. At the same time, they basically put the issue on the ballot. Going to drive voter turnout in a massive way.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:27 pm Just another reminder that women's rights are going to play a huge role in November.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... tion=alert

FL SC just enshrined some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the country. At the same time, they basically put the issue on the ballot. Going to drive voter turnout in a massive way.
They also put recreational weed on the ballot this year. And, Rick Scott is in a dogfight for his seat in the Senate. Could be a decent swing blue down here.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I keep banging the drum on the war chest and abortion. While a lot can happen in the next six months I'm expecting this to be ass-kicking. I sincerely doubt the Republicans in Congress are going to get their shit together and govern with any competency, considering the racist MAGA dipshit wing of the party keeps sabotaging them. Surprising. It's like if you put up clowns as candidates, it's surprising when everything turns out to be a circus.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

We'll see what happens, but if this energizes people to vote blue in Florida...

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Florida citizens have voted for fairly progressive things statewide recently while still voting for Republicans in elected offices
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I get a daily email from this dude who I tend to agree with, which makes him right... right?
In a trio of rulings, the extremist Florida Supreme Court, made up mostly of Ron DeSantis appointees, put the state of Florida into play.

First, it overturned decades of precedent by eliminating a state constitutional right to abortion. Leaning heavily on the Dobbs decision, the 6-1 opinion stripped away a right that women in Florida have had since 1989 and reinterpreted the state constitution’s right to privacy clause, which has been in place since 1980, to exclude abortion rights. That contemptible legal chicanery allowed a recently enacted, draconian six-week abortion ban to go into effect.

Second, and in a win for abortion rights activists, the Court narrowly allowed the question of abortion rights to appear on the Florida ballot this November, over the opposition of the DeSantis administration. I’ve been waiting to exhale for some time on this question, wondering if the state’s highest court would move to undermine democracy there yet again. And it almost did; the vote was a nail-biting 4-3 to allow the measure. Voters will now get a chance to decide whether to enshrine the protections of Roe v. Wade into the state constitution.

And third, the state’s high court permitted a marijuana legalization measure also to appear on November’s ballot. That’s a popular idea that is likely to juice turnout among first-time voters.

The rulings are likely to supercharge turnout and boost a key challenge to incumbent Republican Sen. Rick Scott by Democrat Debbie Mucarsel-Powell. If she unseats Scott, who only won his seat by 10,000 votes six years ago, the chances of the Democrats holding the Senate rise considerably.

Anger over the ruling, and enthusiasm for the ballot measures, could even put the whole state of Florida, which Biden lost by three and a half points in 2020, back into play.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:42 am Florida citizens have voted for fairly progressive things statewide recently while still voting for Republicans in elected offices
While I don't disagree with your overall point... It's pretty hard to find 2 issues that would produce more fervor among young, first time voters than pot and abortion rights.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

At the very least the GOP is gonna have to play defense in a state that was (likely) a lock a couple days ago.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:19 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:42 am Florida citizens have voted for fairly progressive things statewide recently while still voting for Republicans in elected offices
While I don't disagree with your overall point... It's pretty hard to find 2 issues that would produce more fervor among young, first time voters than pot and abortion rights.
Missouri just legalized recreational marijuana and will very likely have a constitutional amendment on the ballot in November that would reverse the statewide abortion ban.

I'd bet it passes while also not changing the presidential results all that much
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You're all welcome for me having the foresight to have a child 17 years and 10 months ago.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean... 2020 Missouri went double digits to Trump... 2020 FL was 3+ point spread for Trump.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:03 pm You're all welcome for me having the foresight to forget to use a condom 17 years and 1 month ago.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:11 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:03 pm You're all welcome for me having the foresight to forget to use a condom 17 years and 1 month ago.
Your math is backwards, but yes.

Unless you are referring to my second child. In which case it's 17 years and TWO months, but that's not helpful for the 2024 election.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Brontoburglar wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:31 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:19 pm
Missouri just legalized recreational marijuana and will very likely have a constitutional amendment on the ballot in November that would reverse the statewide abortion ban.

I'd bet it passes while also not changing the presidential results all that much
Yeah, outside of St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia, Missouri is as red and crazy as Alabama. Now that her parents have passed on, I told my wife I’m never visiting her relatives there again.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’ve seen more MAGA signs in rural Illinois and Missouri than the rest of the country combined.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Illinois Indiana and Tennessee are the worst for me.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.