Lyft/Uber Scam??

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Lyft/Uber Scam??

Post by Square Rob »

So I’m not sure if this was an attempted scam or not, but it felt like one. Coming out of atl terminal and heading to rideshare area a guy stopped us right out of the terminal saying he was a Lyft driver. He pulled Lyft app up and price was right for where we were going. I would have hopped in until I tried to pull up and book the car and he said no, he’d track as the driver. Yeah, no thanks bud. Then at the actual rideshare station there were more guys walking around saying hey, just get in and don’t wait for a driver. Maybe I’m paranoid.
rass
The Dude

Re: Lyft/Uber Scam??

Post by rass »

On his phone? How were you gonna pay him?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

I know a lot of drivers have a card swipe thing they can attach to their phones. I’ve paid electricians and hvac guys like that.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:43 pm I know a lot of drivers have a card swipe thing they can attach to their phones. I’ve paid electricians and hvac guys like that.
OK, I wouldn't have done that, I think. Would have required a dramatic waiting period when trying to use the app myself.

Had to get a ride share from the airport over the weekend and the only oddity was that the driver called and asked that I head up to a different level, where passenger pickup isn't allowed, because he could get me 5 minutes quicker.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

rass wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:51 pm
Square Rob wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:43 pm I know a lot of drivers have a card swipe thing they can attach to their phones. I’ve paid electricians and hvac guys like that.
OK, I wouldn't have done that, I think. Would have required a dramatic waiting period when trying to use the app myself.

Had to get a ride share from the airport over the weekend and the only oddity was that the driver called and asked that I head up to a different level, where passenger pickup isn't allowed, because he could get me 5 minutes quicker.
Oh, I’d do that all day and be fine with it. At that point I have the guys number and details, I’m good.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

They're doing that to jump the line. Definitely sketch (probably safe though).
Noli Timere Messorem
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Square Rob wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:05 pm

Oh, I’d do that all day and be fine with it. At that point I have the guys number and details, I’m good.
I did that on a late night arrival at SFO. Driver had me go up to the much less congested departures level.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I think you made the right call passing on that guy. That sounds like the beginning of a story that ends with your entrails arranged in a Pentagram.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I landed in DEN really late and I'm not sure why, but I just wanted to see how much a cab (that was sitting right there) was gonna cost. Thinking, maybe these guys understand they're just gonna sit here all night, so why not give me a good rate. Pop my head in and ask the guy, and immediately he's all twitchy about it... Weird? I think... He quoted me an absolute bullshit #... I have the estimate from Lyft right there, and this was easily 50 percent more.

So, I noped out of there, and the guy drops the price $10... Still way more than Lyft. I was like "Dude, I'm trying to give you some business and you're jerking me around. Not cool... and not smart." And I left.

Just, like, if you're gonna be a gypsy cab, that's totally fine with me... But be smart. Take my money, but don't just automatically try to scam me. Really shitty business sense on that guy.

Wound up having one of the cooler Lyft rides ever. Guy told me he does stuff "off book" quite frequently and I can understand why. He was such a cool dude I almost took down his number so I could have one of my kids call if they were ever in a bind (travel-wise.) Still kind of annoyed I didn't do that.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 am He was such a cool dude I almost took down his number so I could have one of my kids call
"Hey, you are a cool guy and my kids live in town, can I get your number for them?"
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:11 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 am He was such a cool dude I almost took down his number so I could have one of my kids call
"Hey, you are a cool guy and my kids live in town, can I get your number for them?"
I didn't really describe him, so I see how that could be an angle. He was like a really cool grandpa type. Retired from the bottling plant at Coors. Salt of the earth.

You never want to be a complete rube, but also... Sometimes you spend 40 minutes with someone and you feel like "this is a good dude."

That said, ultimately I just paid for the ride and moved on...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I've done that before with a particularly good driver if I'm out of town. I'm pretty sure I did that when I met Johnnie last summer.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He made you pay him for rides?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I know, right?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Car is in the shop so been doing lots of ride sharing, or lots more than usual. First two female drivers I’ve ever encountered during this time frame. Current lady, taking me home from my company holiday party, has Christmas music on, two GPS running (phone with Waze and whatever her built in screen uses) AND has air pods in. I just noticed a tiny video running in the corner of her phone, so I guess she’s multi-tasking.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I don’t think I have Uber/lyft all that often but when I do it seems check engine lights are pretty common which I guess makes me feel like an ass for being too drunk to drive myself home.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 pm I don’t think I have Uber/lyft all that often but when I do it seems check engine lights are pretty common which I guess makes me feel like an ass for being too drunk to drive myself home.
Hey, kudos to you for not driving after you’ve had a few!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I’ve had some fun rides in the last 13 months that I should share. Two in Dallas, one in Atlanta, and one in Nashville that I never actually told AB because I was too busy worried about his health. Too much to post from my phone so now y’all have something to look forward to Monday.
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

Giff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:48 pm I’ve had some fun rides in the last 13 months that I should share. Two in Dallas, one in Atlanta, and one in Nashville that I never actually told AB because I was too busy worried about his health. Too much to post from my phone so now y’all have something to look forward to Monday.
Why not tomorrow? Whatdya got Saturday,? You going to go to Home Depot to buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that? Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond? You don't know if you’ll have enough time?
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

cerranoredux wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:22 pm
Giff wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:48 pm I’ve had some fun rides in the last 13 months that I should share. Two in Dallas, one in Atlanta, and one in Nashville that I never actually told AB because I was too busy worried about his health. Too much to post from my phone so now y’all have something to look forward to Monday.
Why not tomorrow? Whatdya got Saturday,? You going to go to Home Depot to buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that? Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond? You don't know if you’ll have enough time?
I’m going streaking!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

At some point this specific portion of that night deserves a cabbage-level post.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.