College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Son of wlu and Mrs lax6 went to visit my nephew at u of VT and an tie in to check out Middlebury. My wife loved the school. My son thought it was too supportive of the kids. Basically the school does not let the kids struggle through it. Fascinating view from the kid.

My nephew is loving VT. He is not working that hard and doing great in the honors program. He is also deep into the historical fencing club and timber sports club. My nephew is a strange cat. Great kid but walks through the world in a different way. Really surprised he is not deep into Jam Bands.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

"Timber Sports" sounds like a riot.
Canadian International
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt IV wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:43 pm "Timber Sports" sounds like a riot.
I don't trust him with a chainsaw but see him enjoying log rolling
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:48 pm
rass wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:38 pm My wife took both kids and one of the oldest’s best friends to visit Fordham last week and all four of them fell in love with the campus. Bumped it up the list a bit.

Oldest had an official visit with NJIT yesterday and today. They weren’t really on her list at all, but their coach is friends with her HS coach and the NJIT coach really made her feel wanted. It was a lot nicer than I expected, and they have a very new and very nice athletic events center (the wall outside the basketball coaches office is plastered with photos from the 2014 victory over Michigan).

It’s a good school and they have what she wants academically and the coach arranged for her to have a meeting last night with a pre-med advisor that she says she got a lot out of. It’s D1 but an overall smaller XC/TF team than Rutgers, and she liked how close knit the NJIT team seemed to be.

Cons are how close to home it is, and that she’d probably join the team as by far (currently) the fastest mid-distance girl. And it’s urban, but it’s Newark.

So not at the top of her list but not off the list. Might be difficult for her if they give a ton of cash.
Or not. Seems they want give her a full ride and she really isn’t interested. Too small (area and enrollment). Too close to home. Too insular. No football team. I can’t argue with any of that. She only gets to do this once.

Debating whether she wants to use this to take one more try at prying more money from Fordham but she’s about ready to commit to Rutgers.
OK, I believe we're done.

That last post was exactly a month ago. She reached out to Rutgers that evening to confirm she still had a roster spot. Once she got confirmation of that she verbally (textually?) committed to them, but didn't get the actual commitment form to sign from the team until the end of last week (there was fretting over the delay but the coach texted her back to say it was on the way before we asked). In the meantime, we sent in a deposit to confirm her admission and she got the news that she got into the RU honors college and with that got a sizeable scholarship that should knock all-in cost down to something very close to four figures. And a sweet dorm room on the New Brunswick campus*.

She sent back the commitment form this week so we're official? She's already mapped out her courses for the next four years, is working on her social media announcement and I guess we're going to make sure she can get a signing ceremony at school. Missed my birthday last week so I had to buy myself a t-shirt or two from Homefield Apparel yesterday.

*she knows one other girl who is committed to the XC/track program and got into the honors college so feels like they're almost obligated to room together since their schedules should match up, this just happens to be the girl who my kid thought asked too many questions on the official visit they shared
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Congrats, Rass!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

That's awesome. Very cool.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Holy shit, that's great Rass.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Run kid run!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:17 pmRun kid run!
Her name isn't Lola, is it?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrass!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

If only one of us was good at digging up old threads to see who predicted the first B1G Swamp kid
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Congrats. Hope she enjoys the spring
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Congrats. Harper, Bailey and (Kid Rass) is a pretty insane recruiting class.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Exciting news, wish my kid wasn't so down on Rutgers because he didn't get into the Business school. I think it'd be the best school for him, but we'll see. Has she looked into the athlete housing on Livingston campus? I hear it's incredible and way nicer than the other dorms. B-school is on Livingston, but other than that, mostly just the sports complexes, so not ideal for most majors. It does have a lot of food options, too.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Congrats Rass!

and..
wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:59 pm Son of wlu and Mrs lax6 went to visit my nephew at u of VT...Really surprised he is not deep into Jam Bands.
If he stays at UVM long enough he will be.

I hope you hit up Burlington Brewing or Foam Brewing while you were up there.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thanks guys. She's really happy and that's about all we could ask for.
The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:56 pm Exciting news, wish my kid wasn't so down on Rutgers because he didn't get into the Business school. I think it'd be the best school for him, but we'll see. Has she looked into the athlete housing on Livingston campus? I hear it's incredible and way nicer than the other dorms. B-school is on Livingston, but other than that, mostly just the sports complexes, so not ideal for most majors. It does have a lot of food options, too.
She stayed on Livington in the athlete housing during her official visit last fall. She agreed it was very nice, but was worried because not all athletes are guaranteed housing there and freshmen get bumped first. The honors college dorm is apparently new and full of amenities and in a nice spot on the old College Ave campus. She's excited to live there even if it means getting up earlier to make practice.

The track offices are currently in the arena, and they hold some practices at Livingston, so she'll be there a lot no matter what.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Call it New Jesey because I think my wife and kid just bought every R in the state during a trip to the RU bookstore (and the gear shop across the street) this morning.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:21 pm Call it New Jesey because I think my wife and kid just bought every R in the state during a trip to the RU bookstore (and the gear shop across the street) this morning.
Then what’s she supposed to get y’all for Christmas?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:21 pm Call it New Jesey because I think my wife and kid just bought every R in the state during a trip to the RU bookstore (and the gear shop across the street) this morning.
Then, I hope she likes it there.

A few years ago, my neighbor’s kid went to Washington State. They bought a TON of WSU swag. Then, their son hated it there. Left school after only one semester and transferred elsewhere.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:06 pm
rass wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:48 pm
rass wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:38 pm My wife took both kids and one of the oldest’s best friends to visit Fordham last week and all four of them fell in love with the campus. Bumped it up the list a bit.

Oldest had an official visit with NJIT yesterday and today. They weren’t really on her list at all, but their coach is friends with her HS coach and the NJIT coach really made her feel wanted. It was a lot nicer than I expected, and they have a very new and very nice athletic events center (the wall outside the basketball coaches office is plastered with photos from the 2014 victory over Michigan).

It’s a good school and they have what she wants academically and the coach arranged for her to have a meeting last night with a pre-med advisor that she says she got a lot out of. It’s D1 but an overall smaller XC/TF team than Rutgers, and she liked how close knit the NJIT team seemed to be.

Cons are how close to home it is, and that she’d probably join the team as by far (currently) the fastest mid-distance girl. And it’s urban, but it’s Newark.

So not at the top of her list but not off the list. Might be difficult for her if they give a ton of cash.
Or not. Seems they want give her a full ride and she really isn’t interested. Too small (area and enrollment). Too close to home. Too insular. No football team. I can’t argue with any of that. She only gets to do this once.

Debating whether she wants to use this to take one more try at prying more money from Fordham but she’s about ready to commit to Rutgers.
OK, I believe we're done.

That last post was exactly a month ago. She reached out to Rutgers that evening to confirm she still had a roster spot. Once she got confirmation of that she verbally (textually?) committed to them, but didn't get the actual commitment form to sign from the team until the end of last week (there was fretting over the delay but the coach texted her back to say it was on the way before we asked). In the meantime, we sent in a deposit to confirm her admission and she got the news that she got into the RU honors college and with that got a sizeable scholarship that should knock all-in cost down to something very close to four figures. And a sweet dorm room on the New Brunswick campus*.

She sent back the commitment form this week so we're official? She's already mapped out her courses for the next four years, is working on her social media announcement and I guess we're going to make sure she can get a signing ceremony at school. Missed my birthday last week so I had to buy myself a t-shirt or two from Homefield Apparel yesterday.

*she knows one other girl who is committed to the XC/track program and got into the honors college so feels like they're almost obligated to room together since their schedules should match up, this just happens to be the girl who my kid thought asked too many questions on the official visit they shared
Since that post my kid and this other girl submitted their housing application as roommates. This week the girl texted to tell my daughter that she is decommitting from RU because she got into the Navel Academy. That prompted a minor freakout - she's worried that most of the other athletes will be living in much closer proximity to each other - but I think she's over it now.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Jeez, there's a whole academy for that now?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sure do love naranjas
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I can edit that and no one would know and would instead think you guys are bananas.