NCAA Basketball 23-24

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

EdRomero
Donny

Re: NCAA Basketball 23-24

Post by EdRomero »

In the Oakland game, I thought the ball did hit the NC State guys pinkie, but I thought it happened before the ball left the Oakland guy's hand. Not one announcer mentioned that though.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:14 pm In the Oakland game, I thought the ball did hit the NC State guys pinkie, but I thought it happened before the ball left the Oakland guy's hand. Not one announcer mentioned that though.
Yeah, I agree. And, why didn’t they call that over-and-back?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EdRomero wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:14 pm In the Oakland game, I thought the ball did hit the NC State guys pinkie, but I thought it happened before the ball left the Oakland guy's hand. Not one announcer mentioned that though.
Yup.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Yup. It took the guy who gets turned to explain ref decisions to make that point.

FWIW, I hate when a team gets the ball up court and calls a timeout the way Oakland did. It's not rocket science. Run a play that gets your best player the ball with enough time to penetrate, and pull up and drill a 10 footer as time expires. Calling timeout allows the defense to reset. Unless you have to get the right player into the game, just let your best player get the rock one last time.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pittsburgh crowds got lots of extra basketball.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

brian wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:18 pm Pittsburgh crowds got lots of extra basketball.
Cousinard and Dante are freakin dog-tired.

What's the elevation in Pittsburgh? :lol:
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Oregon only played two bench players tonight.

What the ... must it feel like to be the other guys on the Oregon bench as they watch the Oregon players look like zombies in that 2nd OT?

ETA - a third bench guy got into the game tonight for two minutes in the second OT.
Noli Timere Messorem
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:20 pm
It seemed pretty clear to me that the Oakland player's hand was still on the ball when State got a finger on it. Also, for the backcourt violation - the Oakland player never got possession in the front court, so it was OK that the ball went back across the line.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:51 am
sancarlos wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:20 pm
It seemed pretty clear to me that the Oakland player's hand was still on the ball when State got a finger on it. Also, for the backcourt violation - the Oakland player never got possession in the front court, so it was OK that the ball went back across the line.
It was infuriating that the announcers or the “expert” ref didn’t see that at all.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I don’t know what it is that mulkey is scared of coming out but I am here for it. For all the shit we know about there has to be something else that’s got her extra worked up.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:37 pm I don’t know what it is that mulkey is scared of coming out but I am here for it. For all the shit we know about there has to be something else that’s got her extra worked up.
Exactly. Although I'm sure she's super thin-skinned, but tells everyone that's she tough and doesn't care what anyone thinks about her. She's basically Bobby Knight.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So, is Colorado fucked because they didn’t commit enough fouls this half?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:12 pm So, is Colorado fucked because they didn’t commit enough fouls this half?
Especially in that 4 or 5 seconds from about 12 to about 7 seconds left.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Their coach did not have command of that end game.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

So uh…Why is there a half hour layover between the first and second games today?
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:30 pm So uh…Why is there a half hour layover between the first and second games today?
They’re played in the same place, right?

Did that happen yesterday too?
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

EnochRoot wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:30 pm So uh…Why is there a half hour layover between the first and second games today?
I hate the way they always schedule games on the first Saturday and Sunday. I really don't understand the way they stagger them such that it's a slow start, a gap, and then a bunch of games all overlapping.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:36 pm
I hate the way they always schedule games on the first Saturday and Sunday. I really don't understand the way they stagger them such that it's a slow start, a gap, and then a bunch of games all overlapping.
Or why was there a game in Salt Lake yesterday that started at 10:45am? That's crazy...
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Since the tournament shifted to having every game televised in its current manner, CBS has had an exclusive window for the first two games of the second round on both Saturday and Sunday. They choose the doubleheader that they want for air, usually based on a combination of grabbing high seeds and name-brand schools to get the biggest audience. The games with small school double-digit seeds playing tonight (James Madison-Duke, Grand Canyon-Alabama, Yale-San Diego State) helped eliminate the doubleheaders involving UConn and Houston (and both those teams have a very good chance at routing their opponents, better known as getting people to change the channel).

That is why yesterday was Arizona-Dayton and Kansas-Gonzaga, despite the early local tip-off time. The two-seed that is a national brand and a matchup between two name brands to drive TV audience.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

My only gripe with this tournament. Start a game on the hour, every hour from 1-8 ET. This isn’t difficult.

I remember DSafe explaining the above before, but it’s still a bad viewing experience.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:36 pm Since the tournament shifted to having every game televised in its current manner, CBS has had an exclusive window for the first two games of the second round on both Saturday and Sunday. They choose the doubleheader that they want for air, usually based on a combination of grabbing high seeds and name-brand schools to get the biggest audience. The games with small school double-digit seeds playing tonight (James Madison-Duke, Grand Canyon-Alabama, Yale-San Diego State) helped eliminate the doubleheaders involving UConn and Houston (and both those teams have a very good chance at routing their opponents, better known as getting people to change the channel).

That is why yesterday was Arizona-Dayton and Kansas-Gonzaga, despite the early local tip-off time. The two-seed that is a national brand and a matchup between two name brands to drive TV audience.
So the exclusive window for Purdue / Utah St is because they figured there was a very real chance of an upset, cuz I'm watching spring training baseball til the next game.
Noli Timere Messorem
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

not necessarily; purdue + marquette were simply the best combination of program names

since Duke was always going to be in the 5 p.m. ET tip spot, they needed a site to have a doubleheader ahead of that time

eta: as soon as the No. 1 announcing team was assigned to the Brooklyn regional, it was going to be the regional with the 5 p.m. game. SLC getting the doubleheader yesterday was only slightly surprising because of the local times and that it had the No. 8 announcing team
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Without looking, what other matchups could be like James Madison-Duke? I thought of Colorado-Buffalo.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Wisconsin-Green Bay vs. University of Phoenix
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Duquesne v Duke
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Pretty disappointed that no college team is called the Browns. Or the Rice
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Would aTm v Navy be a different category? Almost?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

NC State might be the only double-digit seed left in the field after today.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Rex wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:20 pm Pretty disappointed that no college team is called the Browns. Or the Rice
We could also use some Drakes.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:20 pm
Rex wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:20 pm Pretty disappointed that no college team is called the Browns. Or the Rice
Would be a pretty cool nickname, actually.
Totally Kafkaesque
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Baylor Bears against Furman?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:46 pm
We kinda do with the Oregon Ducks.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Mutherfucking free throws. Extra annoying to lose that way. Go Coogs or Aggies. Whatever.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:50 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:46 pm
We kinda do with the Oregon Ducks.
I was thinking more about the mythical beast that breathes fire - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_(mythology)
Totally Kafkaesque
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Giff wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:36 pm Mutherfucking free throws. Extra annoying to lose that way. Go Coogs or Aggies. Whatever.
Well, at least they didn't blow it. They just didn't catch up via free throws. As a mostly-disinterested party, I though Baylor got a couple soft calls in the last two minutes on bumps fighting for loose balls. Those calls aren't always made. Still, it was odd to see Baylor's 82% shooter miss two and then Clemson's 56% shooter hit all of his.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bail-er.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Any interest I may have had in cheering for GCU (and I had little) was completely killed by that obnoxious screecher who's too near the TV mic.
Totally Kafkaesque
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:22 pm Any interest I may have had in cheering for GCU (and I had little) was completely killed by that obnoxious screecher who's too near the TV mic.
Wasn’t rooting for them anyway but now they feel nothing but hate for them for the same reason
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Was always creeped out that they were a for-profit Christian college though at least they’ve ditched the for-profit part.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm Was always creeped out that they were a for-profit Christian college though at least they’ve ditched the for-profit part.
It sounds like they've tried to ditch the for-profit part to avoid taxes, but the government hasn't fallen for it. They're still listed as for-profit.
Totally Kafkaesque