OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

govmentchedda
The Dude

Re: OFFICIAL Eat Right & Get Fit Challenge

Post by govmentchedda »

Nice work!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

holy shit dude - 51lbs since August??? I cannot fathom that kind of discipline - tb that is worthy of some big congratulations.
tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am Boom mofos - 187.2 - goal of getting into the 180s achieved. Gotta say, reaching that goal felt pretty goddamn great. Not sure why, but something about that was important to me for some reason. 51 pounds since late August now.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Congrats, tb!!

The 180s was where I was at in college. I haven't been below 200 in over a decade.

I'm also fairly lazy and beyond regular walks with the wife (and now dog) I do zero working out. Need to get out of that rut. Pretty sure I could drop 5-7 pounds pretty easily if I tried.

(I've actually taken off most of my COVID weight and sit in the 205-209 zone these days. Dropping below 200 is gonna be my goal, starting this weekend.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Nice job!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Damn. Are you just embracing the 90's baggy clothes look that all the kids are rocking now?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:21 am
tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:14 am Boom mofos - 187.2 - goal of getting into the 180s achieved. Gotta say, reaching that goal felt pretty goddamn great. Not sure why, but something about that was important to me for some reason. 51 pounds since late August now.
You need to move to Buffalo so you can change your Swamp handle to buffbengal.

Well done!
Well played Sabo. And congrats TB, celebrate the milestone.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Pretty soon you're gonna be nailing all our wives, not just Wlulax's.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

P.D.X. wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:15 pm Damn. Are you just embracing the 90's baggy clothes look that all the kids are rocking now?
Actually perusing and trying to wear pants cut more slim and what not. It's a weird world at the moment.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:31 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:15 pm Damn. Are you just embracing the 90's baggy clothes look that all the kids are rocking now?
Actually perusing and trying to wear pants cut more slim and what not. It's a weird world at the moment.
I pretty much need to toss all of my khakis and related business casual pants because they just aren't in style anymore.

I'm a huge fan of Vuori, but you have to find sales and they aren't great with that. Banana Republic DOES have sales and their stuff is pretty good for the biz casual look. (Less luck with J. Crew these days... stuff is cut for 5'7" 150 lbs dudes.)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I've found it harder to find dress shirts recently. JCrew actually worked out fine enough but most were either crazy fitted, super thin or, in the case of Brooks Brothers, my size but made for someone twice my size who also wanted weirdly low pockets and large collars.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I actually just hit a J Crew outlet a few weeks back - never previously could even think about shopping there because...lol for people my previous sizes in that store. Got two pairs of pants that work well for business casual and going out and what not. The 34 slim actually effin' fit. Was amazed. Been literally, decades. Like, JUST after college in 1992 decades.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:48 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:31 pm
I pretty much need to toss all of my khakis and related business casual pants because they just aren't in style anymore.

I'm a huge fan of Vuori, but you have to find sales and they aren't great with that. Banana Republic DOES have sales and their stuff is pretty good for the biz casual look. (Less luck with J. Crew these days... stuff is cut for 5'7" 150 lbs dudes.)
Patton Oswalt's John Vavartos story is funny describing this.

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

First time it’s felt warm enough to me to wear shorts, today. Rocking some Vuori I received for Christmas!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Have some Vuori joggers that I loved and then slept in them too often and they stretched out to become regular-ass frumpy sweatpants.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I tend to pick one of these brands and ride or die them. Mack Weldon socks, Tommy John underwear, Under Armor golf shirts/shorts and now loading up on Vuori.

I'd like to buy more Toes on the Nose beachy stuff, but they are tough to get on sale.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You read my brain there since PDX is the one who suggested a diff brand of joggers that I now love.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

the kirkland joggers on the costco website are allegedly vuori copycats. hope to verify that on monday.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:27 pm the kirkland joggers on the costco website are allegedly vuori copycats. hope to verify that on monday.
I'm almost positive you are correct. My buddy was over on Sunday and was wearing something from Costco that looked a lot like Vuori's.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

EdRomero wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:19 am Image
Sunday I did a really tough 30k. It's a Boston Marathon warmup apparantly for really good runners because I was one of the slowest runners. Next, I need to find a 5k with a lot of first time runners.

Then last night on a recovery run, I took my worst spill, landing hard on the sidewalk. Bruised knee and right side, bad scratches on palms, and I broke my headlamp (not during the fall). Supposed to do a 19k on Saturday that ends at brewery; might skip the first part. Second fall in 9 months; I gotta figure out how to stop doing that.
So I tried this run again and it was a total disaster.Stomach cramps starting at mile 9, which I never had before, and it hurt to run even downhill after. I did an 18 mile run the week before which was probably a mistake but it was so long since I did a long run and I wanted to make sure I could do it. It was supposed to be cloudy and raining but turned out to be in the low 60s and very sunny --I focused on nutrition rather than hydration, which, surprise surprise was a mistake. So now I'm drinking too much gin and don't know what's next.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Still, a pretty Herculean effort on your part to run that far if you ask me. Drink up.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:57 pm… I focused on nutrition rather than hydration, which, surprise surprise was a mistake. So now I'm drinking too much gin and don't know what's next.
A beer or three? Any relative failure there is better than almost 100% of us can do.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seriously, nice work. Sometimes you just feel shitty.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

That's fucking awesome, other than the whole stomach stuff. It's so hard to know in advance what particular malady will get you on a long run. Were there any bathrooms or water stops along the way? Did you run it solo?
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:11 am That's fucking awesome, other than the whole stomach stuff. It's so hard to know in advance what particular malady will get you on a long run. Were there any bathrooms or water stops along the way? Did you run it solo?
There were water stops every three miles and I had a 6 ounce gatorade on me. I stopped at each one and had about 4-6 ounces of Gatorade or water at each stop I ate honey stinger goo, wafers, and chews..also tried 2 salt tablets. When I trained a few summers ago I was warned about hyponatremia so I probably over responded by going with too much sugar and salts. When it's 20 degrees and cloudy I can get away with ignoring hydration, so I wasn't prepared. And my runs have just been off lately so I have to figure stuff out.

It wasn't use the portapotty stomach stuff, just pain in the stomach, which I believe was dehydration, but maybe it's something else. Im going for an easy run tonight so hopeful I'll feel normal.

4 friends ran the race with me. 3 are much, much faster and finished way before me. The other I usually beat but we run close paces --I ran with him for the first few miles, passed him, and then he passed me when everything went bad. He beat me badly too along with a bunch of old ladies who were very friendly when they passed me.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

A woman finished Barkley Marathons for the first time ever. Just under the 60 hour cutoff. Unbelievable.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think I need this one explained to me … 100 miles in 60 hours is (not accounting for sleep) well below walking pace.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:02 pm I think I need this one explained to me … 100 miles in 60 hours is (not accounting for sleep) well below walking pace.
Go watch the doc. It’s amazing. No marked trail. Have to get certain things to complete. Then you have to go opposite directions half the time on the same circuit.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:02 pm I think I need this one explained to me … 100 miles in 60 hours is (not accounting for sleep) well below walking pace.
It isn't a regular road or trail run. From Wikipedia:
The course itself, which has changed distance, route, and elevation many times since its inaugural run, currently consists of an approximate 20-mile (32 km) unmarked loop with no aid stations except water at two points along the route. Runners are allowed to study and copy the course map prior to the race, but once the race is underway they must navigate by their own notes alone. The loop begins and ends at the yellow road gate where the runners' and supporters' parked cars stay. Runners of the 100-mile version run this loop five times, taking a counterclockwise direction for loops two and four, followed by each runner alternating direction on loop five, after the first-placed runner's choice. Depending on the start time of the first loop, either the second and fourth loops are run at night, or the first, third, and fifth loops are run at night. Runners who complete three circuits of the loop (60-miles) are said to have completed a "fun run".

With 54,200 feet (16,500 m) of accumulated vertical climb (and the same amount of descent), the 100-mile run is considered to be one of the most challenging ultramarathons held in the United States, if not the world.[12] As of 2018, about 55% of the races had ended with no finishers.[14][15]
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gotcha. Thank you for doing my work for me.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

wow gen z is so entitled smh
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:31 pm Gotcha. Thank you for doing my work for me.
Somewhere in the wayback, Deadspin (the former version) covered why that event is next to impossible.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:23 pm
Brontoburglar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:27 pm the kirkland joggers on the costco website are allegedly vuori copycats. hope to verify that on monday.
I'm almost positive you are correct. My buddy was over on Sunday and was wearing something from Costco that looked a lot like Vuori's.
On Brontos info I got two of these. Definitely better than the 15-20 yr old wardrobe. For an old man you get... feels. Kind of awkward in crowded spaces... Elevators, subways. You get better looks slightly erect. As for the pants, the seams could be better.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:24 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:23 pm
On Brontos info I got two of these. Definitely better than the 15-20 yr old wardrobe. For an old man you get... feels. Kind of awkward in crowded spaces... Elevators, subways. You get better looks slightly erect. As for the pants, the seams could be better.
Interesting, as an older man, I find I get much worse looks when slightly erect. Especially at my kids’ high school events.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

That's the way it goes. Can't bat 1000. But some definite dick print in these things.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

After a few weeks one can give a better review. These are not really pants a grown man should wear into the world. Little too thin. Do not order tall if you are not 6'2. They are good sweatpants.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Since they’re relatively inexpensive, maybe you can solve the issue by wearing double pants?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Just show the frank and beans off.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Trying to keep on the down low that he’s Haulin’ C
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Sadly my dick size is pretty average. I am willing to put in a shift though. But really the issue was that I bought a tall cause i have a couple other pairs too short and had to pull em up just a touch so they werent baggy and it stretches the crotch and like i said... so the tight crotch and thin pants and semi erection gets some looks. In a good way id say. Twice. Once a little feel on the subway but I chalked that up to inadvertence. But I cant fully endorse the pants despite the possibility for action.