The Baltimore Key Bridge collapse on 695

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

tennbengal
The Dude

The Baltimore Key Bridge collapse on 695

Post by tennbengal »

I’m ok. Assuming odds are great the rest of the frog peeps locally are too since it happened at 3 am. Out of control cargo ship hit the structure…

tennbengal
The Dude

Re: The Baltimore Key Bridge collapse on 695

Post by tennbengal »

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Ah the news site.of Heward Jablomi
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

:shock:

My wife just woke me to tell me this.

That video.

(I WFH in Canton)
Noli Timere Messorem
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m good as I live on the west side of town. Scary shit. Cargo ship allegedly lost power and hit the supports.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

bfj wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:41 am I’m good as I live on the west side of town. Scary shit. Cargo ship allegedly lost power and hit the supports.
That is one catastrophic power failure if the backup systems were unresponsive.
Noli Timere Messorem
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:52 am
Thanks for that. It appears like that ship had already suffered damage as smoke billowed from it the entire time. It was way to the right (respective to the ship) of where it needed to be. Three times it got systems back online, but the question I want answered is why was it way off track in the first place?

Man if this was rush hour.
Noli Timere Messorem
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh, say can you see
Traffic backed up for miles
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Thin line between life and death. Those headlights on the bridge. Looked like a few just barely made it. Wonder if they even realized
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

HaulCitgo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:14 am Thin line between life and death. Those headlights on the bridge. Looked like a few just barely made it. Wonder if they even realized
Was thinking about that. If they didn’t then they do now.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:02 am
tennbengal wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:52 am
Thanks for that. It appears like that ship had already suffered damage as smoke billowed from it the entire time. It was way to the right (respective to the ship) of where it needed to be. Three times it got systems back online, but the question I want answered is why was it way off track in the first place?

Man if this was rush hour.
DEFINITELY off course, right? No way should it be approaching at that angle normally…
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

So just a quick lookup on the history...opened in 1977 and took 5 years to build. So how long will it take to reopen? I am still amazed at how fast Atlanta got the collapse taken care of after the collapse a few years ago.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:12 am Oh, say can you see
Traffic backed up for miles
31,500 cars/vehicles a day - 11 million a year. No other choice now but 95 through the city or 695 north the long way. An absolute commuting disaster on top of the shipping lane disaster in the short term on top of..you know…the cars that were on the bridge when it happened.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Also, I have no idea what I am talking about re : off course, fuck if I know. Just seemed way over there on approach.

Also, if you want to know what the bridge looked like to drive across on a normal day before last night’s events -

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s obviously Mayor Pete’s fault somehow.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The camera’s angle may tilt the perspective a bit, but it appears that the ship (piloted by a dedicated harbor pilot, btw) was turning when it struck the pillar.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The speed at which it collapsed is mind boggling.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:55 am It’s obviously Mayor Pete’s fault somehow.
Similarly, I’m curious how the local Fox affiliate, a Sinclair Communications-owned station, is going to tie this to Mayor Brandon Scott, the same way they pin every purse-snatching, Ds on surprise quizzes by 4th graders, and runners stranded at 3rd by the Orioles on him.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

That's some truly incredible video. When you see how easily it collapsed, it's a wonder it doesn't happen more often. How many ships pass under how many bridges around the world every day? I'm guessing the collapse wasn't related to any prior bridge damage or degeneration, but maybe I'm wrong.
Totally Kafkaesque
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Holy shit.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

That is straight-up terrifying.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:14 am The speed at which it collapsed is mind boggling.
This...almost like it was made out of toothpicks. New fear unlocked.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Just insane video. Could have been timed so much worse.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Cue the first "Singapore ship linked to china" thoughts on facebook for me. Not me saying them, they showed up in my feed.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Great. My wife hates bridges, now she's got this to point to.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:05 am Just insane video. Could have been timed so much worse.
The rebuilding of the Sunshine Skyway in Tampa Bay (1980) included a much improved (wider) shipping channel as well as pylons that were built out as much as a quarter mile from the bridge’s support beams to protect it from another tragedy.

Those implementations will undoubtedly be included in the second FS Key bridge.
Noli Timere Messorem
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:05 am
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:05 am Just insane video. Could have been timed so much worse.
The rebuilding of the Sunshine Skyway in Tampa Bay (1980) included a much improved (wider) shipping channel as well as pylons that were built out as much as a quarter mile from the bridge’s support beams to protect it from another tragedy.

Those implementations will undoubtedly be included in the second FS Key bridge.
I remember riding over the old skyway. Always creeped me out that you could see through the road to the bay below.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Only people missing are the construction crew - officials and crew did the amazing work as to traffic -

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Watching those videos, rooting for the trucks and cars to make if off the bridge before the ship hit. Thanks for the video driving over the bridge, I was picturing something much smaller. As for the speed of the collapse, most of the videos were sped up, but still, that was crazy, but not surprising. I saw people arguing that it's bad engineering if a bridge goes down that easy from one hit, but if you've ever seen a cargo ship up close and have the most basic understanding of physics, you'd understand.

I had suggested the idea of an impromptu trip to Baltimore for this weekend, think I'm taking that off the table now.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:45 am Watching those videos, rooting for the trucks and cars to make if off the bridge before the ship hit. Thanks for the video driving over the bridge, I was picturing something much smaller. As for the speed of the collapse, most of the videos were sped up, but still, that was crazy, but not surprising. I saw people arguing that it's bad engineering if a bridge goes down that easy from one hit, but if you've ever seen a cargo ship up close and have the most basic understanding of physics, you'd understand.

I had suggested the idea of an impromptu trip to Baltimore for this weekend, think I'm taking that off the table now.
Yeah. I will be out of town anyway.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I mean... There are lots of ways to get into B'more that have nothing to do with that bridge. I've driven north thru Baltimore (and back) hundreds of times and I've only been on that bridge a few dozen times.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 am I mean... There are lots of ways to get into B'more that have nothing to do with that bridge. I've driven north thru Baltimore (and back) hundreds of times and I've only been on that bridge a few dozen times.
Sure, but I’m guessing those other roads will be much busier now. I just can’t imagine the horror of being in Baltimore and having to explain to my kids that they couldn’t meet BFJ.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:31 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:24 am I mean... There are lots of ways to get into B'more that have nothing to do with that bridge. I've driven north thru Baltimore (and back) hundreds of times and I've only been on that bridge a few dozen times.
Sure, but I’m guessing those other roads will be much busier now. I just can’t imagine the horror of being in Baltimore and having to explain to my kids that they couldn’t meet BFJ.
The chokepoints (95/695 Catonsville interchange, the Harbor Tunnels (95, 895) to name a few, are going to be brutal for the foreseeable future.
Noli Timere Messorem
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:20 am Cue the first "Singapore ship linked to china" thoughts on facebook for me. Not me saying them, they showed up in my feed.
I was seeing the same type of stuff. First comment I saw from a great lakes shipping page I follow was "better look at who was driving (lol) the ship...this wasn't an accident."

And we wonder how the MTG's of the world keep getting elected...
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:55 am It’s obviously Mayor Pete’s fault somehow.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:42 am
The chokepoints (95/695 Catonsville interchange, the Harbor Tunnels (95, 895) to name a few, are going to be brutal for the foreseeable future.
For sure, there is also the B/W parkway and Route 29 for N-S travel. And as was mentioned, the stuff north of the city (695, I83 and I70) are ways to maneuver away from the water and get around the city.

Just sayin', don't just plow down/up 95 if you can help it.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:08 am
EnochRoot wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:42 am
For sure, there is also the B/W parkway and Route 29 for N-S travel. And as was mentioned, the stuff north of the city (695, I83 and I70) are ways to maneuver away from the water and get around the city.

Just sayin', don't just plow down/up 95 if you can help it.
Mother in law lives in Catonsville. I can’t in good conscience suggest to my wife to drive west through the city cuz the effort to run I-70 downtown died off a long time ago. We have to either take the tunnel, drive downtown to 95 at OPCY, or take 95N to 695W around the city to CVille.

It’d be easier to just change our departure times.
Noli Timere Messorem