The Baltimore Key Bridge collapse on 695

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Re: The Baltimore Key Bridge collapse on 695

Post by HaulCitgo »

Steve... Worth a rehash for the enjoyment of the masses. Sounds rather frightening and macgyverish simultaneously.

I have that dream all the time. It's pretty terrible and I feel the roller coaster free fall as I careen off a bridge or mountain. Always wake before I hit the water but it repeats. 2-3 falls in a night.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

If you're worried about windows not breaking when you need to, keep a ceramic or steel tipped device in your glove box.

Like this:

Amazon Basics Emergency Seat Belt Cutter and Window Hammer Tool, Car Accessories, 2 Pack https://a.co/d/awdWloD

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I keep one of those on my keychain.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Mine is in that space in the driver's side door.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am Mine is in that space in the driver's side door.
If your car plummets from a bridge, it will likely go head first into the water, and it will sink to the bottom heavy side first, right?

I dunno. Seems to me you want to have that tool taped to the underside of your steering column/wheel. Otherwise what guarantee do you have that it will still be resting in the driver-side door when you grab for it?
Noli Timere Messorem
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am Mine is in that space in the driver's side door.
If your car plummets from a bridge, it will likely go head first into the water, and it will sink to the bottom heavy side first, right?

I dunno. Seems to me you want to have that tool taped to the underside of your steering column/wheel. Otherwise what guarantee do you have that it will still be resting in the driver-side door when you grab for it?
This is why I haven't bothered to carry a tool. I just hope I can hold my breath long enough to open the car door after the compartment floods.
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 pm Steve... Worth a rehash for the enjoyment of the masses. Sounds rather frightening and macgyverish simultaneously.

I have that dream all the time. It's pretty terrible and I feel the roller coaster free fall as I careen off a bridge or mountain. Always wake before I hit the water but it repeats. 2-3 falls in a night.
Yeah, I've been reliving that the past couple of days. A sunny Sunday afternoon in January in northern Idaho. The day I learned that when the sun shines on snow during the day and then shadows fall, the snowmelt on the road turns to ice.

We ended up going down an embankment toward the creek. Then we hit the creek front first and flipped upside down in the water. In hindsight, I must have passed out for a short while we were flipping, because I remember hearing the grass under the car as we sped up, but not anything between then and us being upside down. My now-wife remembers hearing the Indigo Girls cassette slow down.

We were just incredibly lucky that the water was shallow enough so that there was about a foot of air space in the compartment. Even then, I may not have made it if my wife hadn't stopped me from trying to go the wrong way after she released my seat belt.

Then the window situation. Once we were upright and breathing, I was all set to kick out a window so we could swim free. But the brains of the outfit said "just roll it down." So we did that and swam out.

Which put us soaking wet in January in approaching darkness in rural Idaho. The embankment was too steep to climb out. But a guy and his wife had been driving by and saw us start to skid, and came down there with a rope to help us out. We waited in his car with the heat on for 45 minutes for the ambulance.

The only injuries were cracked ribs (my wife) and a few scrapes. And several years of being fucking terrified while driving along any road with an unguarded edge.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

It is attached inside that well with whatever that sticky pad-like thing and velcro. Not saying it's a foolproof system, but it's not going to just fly out of that spot.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Holy fucking hell.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

It is attached inside that well with whatever that sticky pad-like thing and velcro. Not saying it's a foolproof system, but it's not going to just fly out of that spot.
That makes sense
Noli Timere Messorem
cerranoredux
Brandt

Post by cerranoredux »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm Holy fucking hell.
Fuck Idaho.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Scary stuff, Steve. Between that and your bicycle accident, I'd say you've caught your limit on this sort of thing.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

This is why I haven't bothered to carry a tool. I just hope I can hold my breath long enough to open the car door after the compartment floods.
HaulCitgo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 pm Steve... Worth a rehash for the enjoyment of the masses. Sounds rather frightening and macgyverish simultaneously.

Yeah, I've been reliving that the past couple of days. A sunny Sunday afternoon in January in northern Idaho. The day I learned that when the sun shines on snow during the day and then shadows fall, the snowmelt on the road turns to ice.

We ended up going down an embankment toward the creek. Then we hit the creek front first and flipped upside down in the water. In hindsight, I must have passed out for a short while we were flipping, because I remember hearing the grass under the car as we sped up, but not anything between then and us being upside down. My now-wife remembers hearing the Indigo Girls cassette slow down.

We were just incredibly lucky that the water was shallow enough so that there was about a foot of air space in the compartment. Even then, I may not have made it if my wife hadn't stopped me from trying to go the wrong way after she released my seat belt.

Then the window situation. Once we were upright and breathing, I was all set to kick out a window so we could swim free. But the brains of the outfit said "just roll it down." So we did that and swam out.

Which put us soaking wet in January in approaching darkness in rural Idaho. The embankment was too steep to climb out. But a guy and his wife had been driving by and saw us start to skid, and came down there with a rope to help us out. We waited in his car with the heat on for 45 minutes for the ambulance.

The only injuries were cracked ribs (my wife) and a few scrapes. And several years of being fucking terrified while driving along any road with an unguarded edge.
I bet. You should stick to riding a bike, it's much safer.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

All of this plus the McConnell in-law story definitely caused my dream last night. I woke up not quite sure where I was so I looked at google maps on my phone and I was in SE Brooklyn which was a newly developing beachfront area and def not real Brooklyn. I left the apartment I was in, found my car to drive home, went a few blocks and there was no signage but I drove off like a 10 foot cliff into the ocean which was like 15 feet deep. Realistic enough that I thought about how to get a window open and whether I was about to die and all that. Super not fun.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.