Getting the spins

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

L-Jam3
The Dude

Re: Getting the spins

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:05 am I was reading about Beyonce's interpretation of Jolene when I learned about this song. I'd never heard of it before, but it's great and hilarious. And from 1968.

Seal should cover it.

ETA: All kidding aside, Loretta Lynn was a damn treasure.
Last edited by L-Jam3 on Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Hell yeah that's a good one
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That song is a classic, bud. On the day Loretta Lynn died, it was one of the songs Sirius outlaw country had in regular rotation.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sounds more like a GPJ song.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I'm on my second go through of Beyonce's new album. I like it, but I think calling it a country album is reductive. There are some country influences throughout, but if nobody told you ahead of time you were going to listen to a country album, I doubt many would think of it that way.

BTW, one thing I'm always interested in when I listen to an album is checking who the songwriters and performers are. Beyonce albums confuse me because they often have 4-5 (up to 12) songwriters. Now, I know this sometimes happens when albums give credit to the writers of samples, but I don't think that's what's happening here. I don't understand how you can create a good song by committee, but somehow it works here.
Totally Kafkaesque
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

there's a phrase in the music business that's something like "change a word, get a third" meaning that if (when) artists - and this happens almost all the time with pop artists in the last few decades - are in the studio and they have their team (producers, engineers, whomever) in there and they're working on the songs if something/anything is suggested and then implemented by said artist you have to give credit to whoever made the change. Could be a chord, could be a line, literally a word, etc.

I think it's a pretty slippery slope but it is accepted practice in the pop/rap world especially when [no judgment at all here] it's all about crafting the "perfect" product/hook/etc. mostly because they're trying to prevent future lawsuits (e.g. 10 years later..."hey i wrote that bassline!")
Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:45 am BTW, one thing I'm always interested in when I listen to an album is checking who the songwriters and performers are. Beyonce albums confuse me because they often have 4-5 (up to 12) songwriters. Now, I know this sometimes happens when albums give credit to the writers of samples, but I don't think that's what's happening here. I don't understand how you can create a good song by committee, but somehow it works here.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

From the dude in Wooden Shjips, new very cool slightly psychedelic country/Americana chill.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I like that Beyonce is warning Jolene instead of begging Jolene.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:07 am I like that Beyonce is warning Jolene instead of begging Jolene.
Yeah, I think it works. Ironically, that's the one song she takes no songwriting credit for even though she clearly rewrote most of it.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its on now and I think it kinda sucks shit?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

mister d wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:35 am Its on now and I think it kinda sucks shit?
racist
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Stick to being a rap singer!"
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

From Jon Wurster's feed...

New MÖTLEY CRUE Is A "Powerful Cross Between Country And Hip Hop"
Look. For all the trash I talk about Mötley Crüe, I would love nothing more than for the band to put out some good new material. Mötley Crüe wins in that their fans are happy, I win because I get to listen to good music, John 5 wins because he gets to show off his insane guitar skills to a new audience, and we're all happy. But this tweet from Mötley Crüe bassist Nikki Sixx is… concerning.

According to Sixx, new Mötley Crüe material is right around the corner and it's being hailed as "a powerful cross between country and hip hop." Y'know, the two genres you immediately think of when someone mentions Mötley Crüe to you. And who knows! Maybe it'll be great. But I swear to god, if I have to hear Vince Neil rapping, I will need to go for a walk afterward.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That series of moments that happens to me over and over in the course of a year where I realize my wilful blindness to current music and what not means I miss bangers. Like, Dua Lipa's Levitating. Rectified.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I felt really dumb when I learned that's just her real name.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 am I felt really dumb when I learned that's just her real name.
I didn’t know that either and never would have guessed it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 am I felt really dumb when I learned that's just her real name.
Um. I learned that. Just now. From your post.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Me too.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Even after googling her I have no freakin idea who that is.

I like to pretend it's because I still have my edge despite whatever James Murphy tells me about losing his edge, but reality is most of you guys have children.
Noli Timere Messorem
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:57 pm From Jon Wurster's feed...

New MÖTLEY CRUE Is A "Powerful Cross Between Country And Hip Hop"
Look. For all the trash I talk about Mötley Crüe, I would love nothing more than for the band to put out some good new material. Mötley Crüe wins in that their fans are happy, I win because I get to listen to good music, John 5 wins because he gets to show off his insane guitar skills to a new audience, and we're all happy. But this tweet from Mötley Crüe bassist Nikki Sixx is… concerning.

According to Sixx, new Mötley Crüe material is right around the corner and it's being hailed as "a powerful cross between country and hip hop." Y'know, the two genres you immediately think of when someone mentions Mötley Crüe to you. And who knows! Maybe it'll be great. But I swear to god, if I have to hear Vince Neil rapping, I will need to go for a walk afterward.
Isn't that basically Kid Rock's trash country-rock/rap?
Noli Timere Messorem
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Any other households in a frenzy because it was T-Swift album drop morning then a second frenzy when it was realized its a double album?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Our oldest said she was advising people to not stay up last night to listen to it after purchasing at midnight. Got five songs in before leaving and expected to get two or three more in on the bus before arriving at school.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Between Swift, Pearl Jam and the Cloud Nothings, I was kind of overwhelmed with where to start. Zagged where others zigged and went Pearl Jam. It's not bad.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 am Our oldest said she was advising people to not stay up last night to listen to it after purchasing at midnight. Got five songs in before leaving and expected to get two or three more in on the bus before arriving at school.
My oldest and her friends synchronized alarms for around 6:00 AM and, because they pre-downloaded the album, none of them knew it was a double until I said something to her. Was fun to see her react to that news.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:00 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 am Our oldest said she was advising people to not stay up last night to listen to it after purchasing at midnight. Got five songs in before leaving and expected to get two or three more in on the bus before arriving at school.
My oldest and her friends synchronized alarms for around 6:00 AM and, because they pre-downloaded the album, none of them knew it was a double until I said something to her. Was fun to see her react to that news.
"Gee dad I really hope she wasn't too influenced by her working relationship with The National and avoided releasing two albums' worth of up and down material instead of one great one. Love you, see you after school!" (door slams)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It looks like Dessner is most of the secret one and just a little of the expected one.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Any word from the kids on the quality of the album? I'm still playing The Allman Brothers today, but I do want to check it out.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm Any word from the kids on the quality of the album? I'm still playing The Allman Brothers today, but I do want to check it out.
My oldest doesn't care for the first album but the 2nd is better. To them.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:16 pm Any word from the kids on the quality of the album? I'm still playing The Allman Brothers today, but I do want to check it out.
I'm listening to it now. Not sure whether it's 1st or 2nd. I guess she put out two albums and the second contains the first and then 15 more songs? Anyway, it's not bad, but nothing I've heard so far seems very memorable or notable either.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:25 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 pm
I'm listening to it now. Not sure whether it's 1st or 2nd. I guess she put out two albums and the second contains the first and then 15 more songs? Anyway, it's not bad, but nothing I've heard so far seems very memorable or notable either.
TPD seems fine (almost through the first album). To be fair, my current speaker set up (relatively quiet on a speaker at work) isn't the best for fully listening.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Well shit didn't know a new Decemberists album was in the works. Love "proggy" Decemberists. Had tickets to see them on their long night in Boston years ago on their Long & Short tour (they played short songs one night, and long the next) and then the keyboardist needed to get into rehab and the tour was cancelled. Sadly think I'm back east when they're in Denver this coming tour.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

The new Taylor Swift album seems fine so far, but I have to say, I prefer her older stuff, before she became less commercial.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:14 pm The new Taylor Swift album seems fine so far, but I have to say, I prefer her older stuff, before she became less commercial.
Yeah, it's pretty boring, tbh.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

New 🔥 just dropped!

No lips touching Mr. Pibb's.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:49 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:14 pm The new Taylor Swift album seems fine so far, but I have to say, I prefer her older stuff, before she became less commercial.
It fit my vibe yesterday when I listened the first time. I wasn't listening with intent necessarily, but had it loud enough to hear while I was working on a powerpoint. Not the best, not the worst.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:12 pm
Shirley wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:49 pm
It fit my vibe yesterday when I listened the first time. I wasn't listening with intent necessarily, but had it loud enough to hear while I was working on a powerpoint. Not the best, not the worst.
I think most of it will grow on me after a few listens. She certainly can turn a phrase, despite coming up with some real dumb stuff every now and again.