The Juice

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: The Juice

Post by Giff »

I think he would be found guilty now because the DNA evidence would've been better understood, but even then there were questions about chain of custody, right? And the glove thing was such a huge blunder that I felt that it was over right then (hot take!). For the life of me I can't remember a really good book I read after that really laid out why (at the time) they thought the verdict was correct. They then published it again after the civil trial with thoughts about that where they obviously thought that was the correct verdict.

I stand by my 19-year-old self.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not gonna lie. Kind of going to miss the random pics of Facebook friends posting selfies with OJ in downtown Summerlin.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:52 pm I really was expecting to see a few Norberg images like the chalk outline floating or Norberg hooked to hospital machines from Naked Gun
Noli Timere Messorem
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 pm I think he would be found guilty now because the DNA evidence would've been better understood, but even then there were questions about chain of custody, right? And the glove thing was such a huge blunder that I felt that it was over right then (hot take!). For the life of me I can't remember a really good book I read after that really laid out why (at the time) they thought the verdict was correct. They then published it again after the civil trial with thoughts about that where they obviously thought that was the correct verdict.

I'm hazy on the details, but my recollection and continued impression is that while OJ clearly did the crime, the police fucked up enough that the verdict was correct. The two things that stand out in my memory was that the blood on OJs sock was put on his sock by police after the fact. The blood soaked through the sock, because there wasn't a foot in the sock at the time the blood touched the sock; and the lead investigator made very damaging, racist (IIRC) statements that hurt his credibility. Oh, and of course, "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit." The DAs fucked up by having OJ try on the glove in front of the jury, not thinking he'd have to wear gloves underneath so as not to get his prints on the evidence. They looked really stupid when he couldn't get the glove on his hand.

All of that said, I actively tried not to follow the trial.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It's important to remember that without Johnnie Cochran, we wouldn't have Jackie Chiles!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Also...

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

If it happened today, OJ would have been worn out after 3 years, traded to Jacksonville, and would never have gotten famous enough to get acquitted!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

All the comments are amazing.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

Dad took me to my first NFL game in-person sometime around '76/'77? i saw the Juice play. i think i was 5. it was a night game.

it was the 70s, irresponsibility was the law.

...as for the "chase" i was drinking w a friend watching Empire Strikes Back on VHS (obv) and we stopped the movie to maybe order some food and when stopping the tape the tv was on <any/every channel> and all we saw was a creepy aerial live shot looking down at a driveway. So I missed the chase entirely (funny/weird to think about this still sorta relatively-recent time with no cell phones / texts) but we were locked in from that point on.

never finished the movie, always wondered how it ended - huh.
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:12 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 pm I think he would be found guilty now because the DNA evidence would've been better understood, but even then there were questions about chain of custody, right? And the glove thing was such a huge blunder that I felt that it was over right then (hot take!). For the life of me I can't remember a really good book I read after that really laid out why (at the time) they thought the verdict was correct. They then published it again after the civil trial with thoughts about that where they obviously thought that was the correct verdict.

I'm hazy on the details, but my recollection and continued impression is that while OJ clearly did the crime, the police fucked up enough that the verdict was correct. The two things that stand out in my memory was that the blood on OJs sock was put on his sock by police after the fact. The blood soaked through the sock, because there wasn't a foot in the sock at the time the blood touched the sock; and the lead investigator made very damaging, racist (IIRC) statements that hurt his credibility. Oh, and of course, "if the glove don't fit, you must acquit." The DAs fucked up by having OJ try on the glove in front of the jury, not thinking he'd have to wear gloves underneath so as not to get his prints on the evidence. They looked really stupid when he couldn't get the glove on his hand.

All of that said, I actively tried not to follow the trial.
Same here.

But the joke after the verdict was that the D.A.'s office and the L.A.P.D. were so incompetent that they couldn't frame a guilty man. After the trial, Christopher Darden and Marcia Clark became media whores and TV "legal experts." Which certainly qualifies them for the Irony thread.
Canadian International
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I know the guy is a joke now...due to his Zoom mishaps...but Jeffery Toobin's book on the whole case "The Run Of His Life" is fantastic.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:57 pm I know the guy is a joke now...due to his Zoom mishaps...but Jeffery Toobin's book on the whole case "The Run Of His Life" is fantastic.
Toobin, despite becoming a name for jerking off, is a great author and legal commentator. I highly recommend his book The Nine, which is a history of the Supreme Court.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:18 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:57 pm I know the guy is a joke now...due to his Zoom mishaps...but Jeffery Toobin's book on the whole case "The Run Of His Life" is fantastic.
Toobin, despite becoming a name for jerking off, is a great author and legal commentator. I highly recommend his book The Nine, which is a history of the Supreme Court.
His book on the Patty Hearst kidnapping and aftermath is also really good.
Canadian International