NCAA Basketball 23-24

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

duff
Donny

Re: NCAA Basketball 23-24

Post by duff »

I didn't watch the game, but I watched plenty of Purdue during the season. They really need a couple of more athletes like Ivey and Edwards were in the past. Their guards can shoot, but not really drive against better defensive players. The team had no slasher to help breakdown the defense. That is all on Painter. He is a good coach, but never much of the X's and O's type guy. His MO is get a big and surround with shooters.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

They certainly had at least one elite athlete. That putback dunk in the second half was one of the best I've ever seen.
Totally Kafkaesque
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:55 am
Giff wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:50 am
A_B wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:34 am Scott Drew should probably be the first call. I don't see Hurley leaving, and Oats would probably be the next call if Drew isn't interested. He just leveraged a new contract and a new arena, though. so leaving Waco not a priority.
You shut your mouth.
It's gonna happen. Be extra hilarious that he spurned Louisville if he did come here.
Now he's spurned them both!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:37 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:34 am Scott Drew should probably be the first call. I don't see Hurley leaving, and Oats would probably be the next call if Drew isn't interested. He just leveraged a new contract and a new arena, though. so leaving Waco not a priority.
You shut your mouth.
It's gonna happen. Be extra hilarious that he spurned Louisville if he did come here.
He hates this state!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:29 pm
Giff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:37 pm
You shut your mouth.
He hates this state!
Or he just loves Waco that much.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yuck.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:54 pmYuck.
I don't want to be rude, but when I went to Lexington I personally witnessed someone pulling off the road to let a 44-year-old man puke out the side of the car. That shit doesn't happen in Waco.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Giff wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:32 am
A_B wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:54 pmYuck.
I don't want to be rude, but when I went to Lexington I personally witnessed someone pulling off the road to let a 44-year-old man puke out the side of the car. That shit doesn't happen in Waco.
It was more about the underwhelming Mark Pope hire. But that's funny.

And of course I'm talking myself into it now. I just think this is a classic "rather be the guy after they guy who took over for the guy" situation. But he plays uptempo basketball and did decent in the big 12 the first year. I'll remain optimistic.

I'm sure Waco is a lovely place to buy shiplap and refurbish water towers.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

From the outside, it seems like a pretty smart hire. BYU finished with a better rating than Kentucky this year. Guess which team had better talent? And BYU plays that ultra-modern offense of a ton of threes and layups. I think they were #4 in the country in the % of their shots from the 3pt line.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:29 am From the outside, it seems like a pretty smart hire. BYU finished with a better rating than Kentucky this year. Guess which team had better talent? And BYU plays that ultra-modern offense of a ton of threes and layups. I think they were #4 in the country in the % of their shots from the 3pt line.
Oh absolutely. People have been clamoring for this type of offense. Just not sexy you know? But who knows, sometimes those work out better than most.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:29 am From the outside, it seems like a pretty smart hire. BYU finished with a better rating than Kentucky this year. Guess which team had better talent? And BYU plays that ultra-modern offense of a ton of threes and layups. I think they were #4 in the country in the % of their shots from the 3pt line.
Is that a diss about the offense… by a guy whose school averages … how many points per game?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Didn’t realize he was a UK alum. That moves the needle a bit.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:58 am
Is that a diss about the offense… by a guy whose school averages … how many points per game?
Not at all! It's a smart way to play. I'd like to see UVA take more advantage.

That said, I do think the game needs to think about a way to re-incentivize 2-point shots though. While it's not nearly as ugly as the slog-it-out game of, say 90s NBA, but it's also become too driven by extremes. Part of the fun of any game is seeing teams approach it differently. I fear we're heading towards too much similarity. The NBA is already close to this and it's spreading in college (although there aren't yet enough skilled players in college for every team to do this.).
Totally Kafkaesque
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Shirley wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:20 pm That said, I do think the game needs to think about a way to re-incentivize 2-point shots though.
Move the 3pt line back? Widen the lane to the international shape so it's harder(?) to get the 3 point rebound if you miss?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Widen the court. Theres no room to make the corner 3 deeper anyway but if you widened both sides of the court to allow for a normal length corner 3 but also way beyond that to force a defender to step up to 5 feet beyond the longer 3 it would drag out every defender and create a ton of space for cutters and drivers underneath the corner 3 and on wings and inside. Would probably make it almost impossible to play defense. If 2s were made at 60/70 percent maybe the three works without changing point values.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Great question. And I agree that increasing the size of the court - and possibly the lane - would help. It's kind of wild to think about the size of players today compared to when the court size was decided. Obviously, there are logistical issues with increasing the size of courts at some older gyms, but it's doable.

But the counterargument is what HaulCitgo pointed out - defense would be incredibly difficult at the highest levels where a lot of players can shoot and make long 3s. They'd pull the defense even farther out, opening huge driving lanes. They might have to also loosen some of the handcheck limitations or something to give defense a chance.
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:37 am Great question. And I agree that increasing the size of the court - and possibly the lane - would help. It's kind of wild to think about the size of players today compared to when the court size was decided. Obviously, there are logistical issues with increasing the size of courts at some older gyms, but it's doable.

But the counterargument is what HaulCitgo pointed out - defense would be incredibly difficult at the highest levels where a lot of players can shoot and make long 3s. They'd pull the defense even farther out, opening huge driving lanes. They might have to also loosen some of the handcheck limitations or something to give defense a chance.
I think it actually boils down to financial issues because as in professional leagues, I don't think anyone with an eye on the budget is looking at removing multiple rows of seats that generate the most money. Figure one whole row of sideline seats gone for every two feet the court is widened.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:46 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:37 am Great question. And I agree that increasing the size of the court - and possibly the lane - would help. It's kind of wild to think about the size of players today compared to when the court size was decided. Obviously, there are logistical issues with increasing the size of courts at some older gyms, but it's doable.

I think it actually boils down to financial issues because as in professional leagues, I don't think anyone with an eye on the budget is looking at removing multiple rows of seats that generate the most money. Figure one whole row of sideline seats gone for every two feet the court is widened.
The sideline seats aren't going anywhere. It'll be one row a bit further back that'll be lost. And with a wider court, they could actually have a few more courtside seats.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:49 am

The sideline seats aren't going anywhere. It'll be one row a bit further back that'll be lost. And with a wider court, they could actually have a few more courtside seats.
I dunno. My limited grasp of geometry tells me that putting a bigger court inside a finite-sized arena means fewer seats, which means less revenue. I don’t think the greedy owners will go for that.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:52 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:49 am

I dunno. My limited grasp of geometry tells me that putting a bigger court inside a finite-sized arena means fewer seats, which means less revenue. I don’t think the greedy owners will go for that.
Exactly. Floor seats close to the court cost a pretty penny, regardless of if they are the front row now or the front row if you yank out the three currently in front of them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That seems opposite to what sc is saying.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

I'm with Shirley on the math. You're still losing because the additional 3-10 court side seats on each of four corners can't offset the loss of 3-10 rows but it's the back of the gym. The highest rows of first level revenue.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

There is no way they’re changing the dimensions of a court that have been the same for over a century. Don’t fact check me please.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Im mad I didnt go see Alex Sarr while he was at OTE. Always felt like a kids event because my kids but should really get some season tix if thats the level. Anyone want Zach Edey over this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SdEmvgY9is&t=195s
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I don't think anyone ever had Edey ahead of Sarr. Sarr should go first overall. 7'0", very fluid in his movements, has a decent/reliable outside shot, and great defense. Unless the Spurs get the first pick, anyone else should be picking this kid first.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

No its just laughable that Edey got so much media and shine nationally and this guy is playing in a gym 2 miles down the street and id never bothered to pay attention beyond dropping off kids
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

College POY x2 is always going to get more attention than a kid playing most of his time in Australia. And there is never any shine put on the G-League games. Those that follow along with the top prospects know. Those that don't, don't care. They would rather hear about the tall Canadian kid that only started playing competitive basketball in the 10th grade. Who cares about the young French kid if his name isn't Wemby.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My goodness. I won't go into significant detail because no one cares, but to go from firing Juwan to hiring Dusty May, and from a roster with basically 1 scholarship guy to a team now loaded with talent and only 1 or 2 slots left...

MI basketball has been a real roller coaster the last month.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:14 pm SHUT DOWN SOUTH ORANGE AVE BABY WE’RE THROWING A FUCKING PARADE WOOOOOOO!!!
Prime NJTP real estate

ETA: not even the turnpike, 1&9
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.