Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Proud Parental Unit Crowing Thread

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:01 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:49 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:40 pm That's not the largest chest of drawers! (I don't think) I didn't realize there were two options in High Point.
Stolen Valor! I'll have to text her and let her know...
It’d be a shame to travel all the way to High Point and only see the worlds second tallest dresser.
The real treasure is the chifferobes we made along the way.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Kudos, AB.

And, she's not going to miss Marathon weekend, is she?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:36 am And, she's not going to miss Marathon weekend, is she?
No, she'll be back in Boston this weekend. The course is about a block from her apartment.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:15 am
govmentchedda wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:36 am And, she's not going to miss Marathon weekend, is she?
No, she'll be back in Boston this weekend. The course is about a block from her apartment.
There will be a lot of free beer and food and middle aged runners right before the top of Heartbreak Hill.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

EdRomero wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:19 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:15 am
There will be a lot of free beer and food and middle aged runners right before the top of Heartbreak Hill.
That's a few miles before downtown though, isn't it? I wouldn't be trying to travel much along the route.

My oldest had "darties" for Marathon day which is just an excuse to party and drink during the day. Most of us call that "being an adult."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

More kudos for my oldest. She is being inducted into the National Junior Honor Society next week for her 8th grade year. She made cheerleader for next year as well. But the one I'm most proud about is her being awarded the Academic Excellence Award in math. This isn't necessarily the best student grade-wise, but each teacher from their grade picked one student from all their classes to give this award to and Harper's math teacher selected her. Can't believe that next time this year she'll be so close to high school, but I'm so proud of how she's kicking ass so far.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Nice, Giff.

Our oldest was stoked when she found out her teachers recommended her for the honors level classes for all the core courses her freshman year, including the English and Social Studies classes that cross over, including more debate and group projects.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good stuff, Swamp dads!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Yep nice job. Lil leery of the honors societies but anything to build the confidence. May need it next year. HS an independence seeking time in my house and it went fine for the girl and just ok for the boy.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Nice Giff. Running a little parallel here because my apathetic B- 6th grader has turned into a straight As, pissed off with anything less 7th grader. I'm not huge on grades at that age as long as she's learning, so its definitely any kind of pressure coming from us, just something clicked. Took me until sophomore year of college for that to happen and, even then, I really only cared about classes inside the business school.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

mister d wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:50 pm Nice Giff. Running a little parallel here because my apathetic B- 6th grader has turned into a straight As, pissed off with anything less 7th grader. I'm not huge on grades at that age as long as she's learning, so its definitely any kind of pressure coming from us, just something clicked. Took me until sophomore year of college for that to happen and, even then, I really only cared about classes inside the business school.
Very parallel! She didn't care much last year either and now she's constantly showing us her phone showing all As. And same with the pressure other than getting mad when we trusted her to study/do homework and she came home with a D on a test cause she "forgot". She got the whole spiel about trying and failing rather than not trying and failing, and it struck a chord apparently.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Jinxed her, just got an email from her a couple hours ago about a quiz today: "I did mid i got a 85%"
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Fucking long day yesterday. Up at 5 to Philly to watch my son row in terrible conditions. Finish that and then drove 30 miles south of DC to catch my daughter's solo at the dance competition she had all weekend (which I was at until 11 pm on Sat).

Well daughter got her first Platinum Pro (which Giff may understand) and high score for the whole competition. Just a gigantic trophy. Bigger than the one Daniel got at the end of the All Valley Karate Tournament.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 am Fucking long day yesterday. Up at 5 to Philly to watch my son row in terrible conditions. Finish that and then drove 30 miles south of DC to catch my daughter's solo at the dance competition she had all weekend (which I was at until 11 pm on Sat).

Well daughter got her first Platinum Pro (which Giff may understand) and high score for the whole competition. Just a gigantic trophy. Bigger than the one Daniel got at the end of the All Valley Karate Tournament.
Congrats! Let’s see the trophy!
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Congrats!
Pruitt IV
The Big Lebowski

Post by Pruitt IV »

Congratulations - and it's never too early to start planting the seeds for a killer Fathers Day gift.
Canadian International
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 am Fucking long day yesterday. Up at 5 to Philly to watch my son row in terrible conditions. Finish that and then drove 30 miles south of DC to catch my daughter's solo at the dance competition she had all weekend (which I was at until 11 pm on Sat).

That's badass!!!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Congrats to daughter but question must be asked. How did you get it into the car
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Congrats to the daughter but the question must be asked...you have a daughter, wlu?!?!?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:08 am Congrats to the daughter but the question must be asked...you have a daughter, wlu?!?!?
well she is more of a duaghter ...but yeah

Also I have now gone down a rabbit hole of biggest trophies in sports.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Good on you, Wlu, going to a such lengths to see your kids perform. And, good job by your daughter there, too!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Evil One made NHS but more importantly, this is how her boyfriend asked her to prom...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

He's flexible!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Guess he didn't make NHS.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 amFucking long day yesterday. Up at 5 to Philly to watch my son row in terrible conditions.
Whoa, we were possibly within ~500 feet of each other? Drove by boat house row around 10:30 AM yesterday while heading to the zoo.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Seems like only yesterday Jerloma had his youngest in his arms as they duetted Copacabana.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:52 am
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:04 amFucking long day yesterday. Up at 5 to Philly to watch my son row in terrible conditions.
Whoa, we were possibly within ~500 feet of each other? Drove by boat house row around 10:30 AM yesterday while heading to the zoo.
Don't act like you didn't get his license plate number.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

LAKROS
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:52 am
you are the 2nd person who has said that to me. But nope. The racecourse start is 3 miles upriver from the art museum (finish line is ~2 mi) I was way up near the Temple boathouse and parked up near Strawberry mansion.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 am The Evil One made NHS but more importantly, this is how her boyfriend asked her to prom...

I think the question mark bothers me more than the blowjob joke.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:19 am The Evil One made NHS but more importantly, this is how her boyfriend asked her to prom...

I think the question mark bothers me more than the blowjob joke.
Fortunately, JLo isn't the kind of guy who gets worked up over small, pedantic things.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Do you guys not get the Arrested Development reference?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm Do you guys not get the Arrested Development reference?
I did.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:20 pm Do you guys not get the Arrested Development reference?
I assumed that's what he was going for. If the guy likes Arrested Development, I approve of him.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Can't wait to see his attire for the big night.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

ACT scores out today. Girl doesn't stress easily but won't be much in June and Sept.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Of course. But it was also a blowjob joke in AD.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Yeah, as a dad of a girl, I’m not so sure how cool I’d have been about blowie jokes from my girl’s boyfriend.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:30 pm
I assumed that's what he was going for. If the guy likes Arrested Development, I approve of him.
He does, but more importantly it's the girl's favorite show of all time, so that's what prompted it. She turned him onto it.
sancarlos wrote:Yeah, as a dad of a girl, I’m not so sure how cool I’d have been about blowie jokes from my girl’s boyfriend.
Almost definitely not you, but the problem generally with this sentiment is that most dads who share it would turn around and high five their son if it was the other way around.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

To clarify, most dads that I know...excluding all of you wankers. If this community is bonded by anything other than sports, it's progressivism.