Television (no longer temporary)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Re: Television (no longer temporary)

Post by DaveInSeattle »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 am
The S.F. offal dude, who went out first, choosing to not stay for last chance kitchen seems like a bit of a moron.
We haven't watched the Last Chance Kitchen yet...did he really do that? That's strange...
TC judges seem to love mole as much as they hate risotto.
Yeah, they do. There was the guy a few seasons ago (Portland, I think) who made pretty much mole for every challenge, and won the whole thing. (and then promptly got "Me Too'ed")
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:19 am
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 am
The S.F. offal dude, who went out first, choosing to not stay for last chance kitchen seems like a bit of a moron.
We haven't watched the Last Chance Kitchen yet...did he really do that? That's strange...
TC judges seem to love mole as much as they hate risotto.
Yeah, they do. There was the guy a few seasons ago (Portland, I think) who made pretty much mole for every challenge, and won the whole thing. (and then promptly got "Me Too'ed")
The one Top Chef contestant whose food I've eaten! Our local Bib Gourmand chef had a guest chef series and we went to the one that Gabe cooked at. This was before his appearance on Top Chef, (and subsequent me tooing). The man could cook.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I love molé sauce. Pretty much my go-to at any mexican place, barring something really special on their menu.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

EnochRoot wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:31 pm Bodies on Netflix is good.

It's going to leave you itching for S2 of Severance.
Just finished, and it’s extremely well done. Without giving anything away that isn’t in the trailer, London detectives in 1890, 1941 and 2023 find the same body in the same place. Very cool how they jumped across the detectives lives across the decades.

A couple questions for anyone who watched:
[+] spoiler
ending confused me when 2053 Iris was driving the taxi and the KYAL sign appeared, but reading articles and Reddit, it seems like they were just setting up a possible second season.
And the big question:
[+] spoiler
if 2023 Elias disappeared because he didn’t detonate the bomb, that means 2053 Commander Elias couldn’t travel back in time to become his own great grandfather. If that’s the case, how could Elias ever have been born at all?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Suits is one of the worst, dumbest shows I've ever seen, and yet here I am in season 6.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 amThe S.F. offal dude, who went out first, choosing to not stay for last chance kitchen seems like a bit of a moron.
Calling someone who isn't Chris Cosentino this is like referring to Larry Nance Jr. as "the Akron basketball dude".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:07 pm Suits is one of the worst, dumbest shows I've ever seen, and yet here I am in season 6.
With the obvious exception of the seminal Mr. Robot, has USA ever had a show in quality higher than “put it on while you’re doing other shit”?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:14 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:05 amThe S.F. offal dude, who went out first, choosing to not stay for last chance kitchen seems like a bit of a moron.
Calling someone who isn't Chris Cosentino this is like referring to Larry Nance Jr. as "the Akron basketball dude".
This dipshit was definitely the Larry Nance Jr. of Top Chef*. I actually don't think he specializes so much in offal at his restaurant, but he did in the one round of TC that he was in. He started off the show by insulting Tom's choice of hats.

*I'm assuming I got that right.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:20 pm
Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:07 pm Suits is one of the worst, dumbest shows I've ever seen, and yet here I am in season 6.
With the obvious exception of the seminal Mr. Robot, has USA ever had a show in quality higher than “put it on while you’re doing other shit”?
Psyc?
Pacific Blue
silk stalkings
Monk
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Prime Time Wrestling
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:20 pm
Silk Stalkings was consistent pre-internet wank material when I’d come home drunk in HS. I’m sure the show was terrible, but Mitzi Kapture in a very short skirt and the bad guys were always surrounded by hot girls in bikinis was enough to entertain.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Been watching with the wife, I think we are also on Season 6. It’s ridiculously unrealistic (try watching as a lawyer!) and I rarely care about the cases they are working on, but the Mike-Harvey dynamic is fun, and DONNA!
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:02 pm
Been watching with the wife, I think we are also on Season 6. It’s ridiculously unrealistic (try watching as a lawyer!) and I rarely care about the cases they are working on, but the Mike-Harvey dynamic is fun, and DONNA!
It is fun but it's so primitive that it seems like satire. I just watched this exchange after Mike walked into court while one of Harvey's clients is getting sued for patent infringement to get the trial date extended over some technicality:

Harvey: I thought you were busy with that pro bono?
Mike: I am. Donna said you needed my help so I gave it to you.
Harvey: Thanks, Robin.
Mike: Ah, you're welcome, Batman.

Like, did the writer think that it was necessary to make sure we knew that Mike got that reference, or did he think it was so subtle that he needed to explain it to the audience?

I'm in season 7 by the way! I had no idea.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Psych was a very witty show.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:11 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:02 pm
It is fun but it's so primitive that it seems like satire. I just watched this exchange after Mike walked into court while one of Harvey's clients is getting sued for patent infringement to get the trial date extended over some technicality:

Harvey: I thought you were busy with that pro bono?
Mike: I am. Donna said you needed my help so I gave it to you.
Harvey: Thanks, Robin.
Mike: Ah, you're welcome, Batman.

Like, did the writer think that it was necessary to make sure we knew that Mike got that reference, or did he think it was so subtle that he needed to explain it to the audience?

I'm in season 7 by the way! I had no idea.
Ha, I just checked, we are midway through season 7. Season 6 was incredibly dumb, but 7 took a nosedive. Fucking awful. Actually, season 5 was really bad, too. I mean, the entire premise of the show was so fucking stupid from the first episode, a major NYC firm hires a lawyer who never went to law school ( didn’t even graduate undergrad), isn’t licensed, and they think nobody will notice? Even worse, they only hire from Harvard Law, so all the lawyers in his class should have gone to school with him, but nobody knows him?

The first couple seasons were kind of fun, if you are willing to ignore plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. And legal concepts and arguments that are completely wrong. And Donna being able to call a court clerk and move a trial date UP From 3 weeks away to the next morning… but Donna is so hot, and one of the greatest characters.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:14 pmHa, I just checked, we are midway through season 7. Season 6 was incredibly dumb, but 7 took a nosedive. Fucking awful. Actually, season 5 was really bad, too. I mean, the entire premise of the show was so fucking stupid from the first episode, a major NYC firm hires a lawyer who never went to law school ( didn’t even graduate undergrad), isn’t licensed, and they think nobody will notice? Even worse, they only hire from Harvard Law, so all the lawyers in his class should have gone to school with him, but nobody knows him?

The first couple seasons were kind of fun, if you are willing to ignore plot holes big enough to drive a truck through. And legal concepts and arguments that are completely wrong. And Donna being able to call a court clerk and move a trial date UP From 3 weeks away to the next morning… but Donna is so hot, and one of the greatest characters.
I think they tried to explain the nobody knowing Mike thing by saying he lived in Queens the whole time, never went to a single class, and only drove to Cambridge when he had a test. I can't imagine that's a thing that Harvard Law allows though. Otherwise, why not just let anyone take the damn bar?

I can't speak to the soundness of the legal arguments but how about every time that anybody hands someone a document for a case they're working, the person who they give it to looks at it for literally a second and immediately know exactly what it is, what it means, and all of it's implications!!!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jerloma wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:33 pm
rass wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:53 pm You can definitely pop into the 2005 Eccelston series and be ok. I had some general background knowledge from seeing some of the Baker Who as a kid and was fine. That still gives you a ton to watch. I only kept up through the end of Matt Smith’s run.

Going back to the real beginning seems like a lot of work.

Hopefully your uncle jlo sees this and weighs in.
Endorse 100%. The background of the Timelords is clearly explained rather quickly with Eccleston and the effects are so dated on any of those older episodes that it looks like a satire.
All the seasons of the newer Doctor Who is on HBO Max. Very excite! Already watched the first two episode of the first season and it's just fun. Liking it so far.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:59 pm
Jerloma wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:33 pm
rass wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:53 pm You can definitely pop into the 2005 Eccelston series and be ok. I had some general background knowledge from seeing some of the Baker Who as a kid and was fine. That still gives you a ton to watch. I only kept up through the end of Matt Smith’s run.

Going back to the real beginning seems like a lot of work.

Hopefully your uncle jlo sees this and weighs in.
Endorse 100%. The background of the Timelords is clearly explained rather quickly with Eccleston and the effects are so dated on any of those older episodes that it looks like a satire.
All the seasons of the newer Doctor Who is on HBO Max. Very excite! Already watched the first two episode of the first season and it's just fun. Liking it so far.
This pleases me greatly. You're about to make so many new friends.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:36 pm
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:14 pmHa, I just checked, we are midway through season 7. Season 6 was incredibly dumb, but 7 took a nosedive. Fucking awful. Actually, season 5 was really bad, too. I mean, the entire premise of the show was so fucking stupid from the first episode, a major NYC firm hires a lawyer who never went to law school ( didn’t even graduate undergrad), isn’t licensed, and they think nobody will notice? Even worse, they only hire from Harvard Law, so all the lawyers in his class should have gone to school with him, but nobody knows him?

I think they tried to explain the nobody knowing Mike thing by saying he lived in Queens the whole time, never went to a single class, and only drove to Cambridge when he had a test. I can't imagine that's a thing that Harvard Law allows though. Otherwise, why not just let anyone take the damn bar?

I can't speak to the soundness of the legal arguments but how about every time that anybody hands someone a document for a case they're working, the person who they give it to looks at it for literally a second and immediately know exactly what it is, what it means, and all of it's implications!!!
The living in Queens thing was stupid, and even in the show, nobody believed it. Most law schools you have one grade the entire class period, it all comes down to a final (yet Rachel always seemed to have a test). I had a friend who stopped going to classes after the first month or so. He saved up all of his Ritalin for the semester, and spent the final 3 weeks taking 3 months worth of Ritalin and cramming on his own. Just partied the rest of the semester. It worked for him first year, he was in the top 10% of the class. Worked out well enough the next two years, he was hired by a big firm, then decided to move to a ski town in Vermont and started his own firm. So, it is possible to never go to class and succeed, but there is still no way people wouldn't know he was in their class.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:00 pm Mitzi Kapture
So I cut this to paste into Google to remind myself of her while also installing a fresh install of Python. Hit pip then pasted what I thought was needed module title, and well there are modules called Mitzi and Kapture being installed now..
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:09 am
The Sybian wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:00 pm Mitzi Kapture
So I cut this to paste into Google to remind myself of her while also installing a fresh install of Python. Hit pip then pasted what I thought was needed module title, and well there are modules called Mitzi and Kapture being installed now..
I'm sure they'll look great in a short skirt suit. BTW, when I Googled Mitzi, I wasn't prepared to see what she looks like now as the first picture. Jarring. Not that I expect her to look better at 61, but I haven't seen her 30 years.
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 pm Watched the first two episodes of Guy Ritchie’s new series The Gentlemen, on Netflix ( a spinoff from the movie of the same name). I’m enjoying it very much. Very Guy Ritchie-ish, in the crime/comedy sense.
A few weeks later, and I'm a big fan of The Gentlemen as well. It's not perfect, but if you like Guy Ritchie movies you'll like it. I loved Snatch, so this is scratching that itch for me.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pretty good run of shows right now:

The Gentleman
The Tourist
Palm Royale
Masters of the Air
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Fallout (Amazon) is fucking fantastic.

Think Terry Gilliam level of absurdity/brilliance.
Noli Timere Messorem
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

EnochRoot wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:56 pm Fallout (Amazon) is fucking fantastic.

Think Terry Gilliam level of absurdity/brilliance.
I gotta start watching that. Never played the video games, but, like Doctor Who, there's a crossover Magic: The Gathering set that came out recently and now I need to know all about it.

My wife and I finished up Death and Other Details on Hulu. Pretty good and entertaining. But you have to first get over Mandy Patinkin's gawdawful forced accent for his role. I honestly have no idea what he was going for.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Dear lord Billy Joel sucks.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

bfj wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:51 pm Dear lord Billy Joel sucks.
People have been wrong before. But not this wrong.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

A_B wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:43 am
bfj wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:51 pm Dear lord Billy Joel sucks.
People have been wrong before. But not this wrong.
I was trying to get through that concert that was on last night. Woof.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I read that most CBS stations in the Eastern and Central time zones cut the concert off early, during the middle of Piano Man, to go to local news.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Because nobody has ever heard how Piano Man ends. Thanks for the warning.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:56 pm Because nobody has ever heard how Piano Man ends. Thanks for the warning.
Gotta admire your commitment to the principle, bfj! (I'm not a fan, either, but wasn't going to poke the bears, so to speak.)
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I like to think that song is about him being the entertainment in a gay bar and he's the last one to realize it.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:15 pm Watched the first two episodes of Guy Ritchie’s new series The Gentlemen, on Netflix ( a spinoff from the movie of the same name). I’m enjoying it very much. Very Guy Ritchie-ish, in the crime/comedy sense.
We finished this yesterday. We loved it, but weird show.

I'm not familiar with Guy Ritchie, but the show reminded me of Fargo.

We've been enjoying Shogun as well.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:00 pm
bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:56 pm Because nobody has ever heard how Piano Man ends. Thanks for the warning.
Gotta admire your commitment to the principle, bfj! (I'm not a fan, either, but wasn't going to poke the bears, so to speak.)
He's just one of those artists I've never gotten the hype around. I'm sure my musical tastes aren't for everyone either. AB knows I love him regardless of his musical choices. We match on many others. I still have the Gary Clark Jr. CD's he sent me many years ago. I have nothing to play them on, but I still have them.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 pm

You should check out Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. The first Sherlock Holmes movie was good also.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

bfj wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:14 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:10 pm

You should check out Snatch or Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. The first Sherlock Holmes movie was good also.
Second the Snatch and Lock Stock recommendations. Haven't seen Holmes.
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

Shogun, Fallout, X-Men 97 are all excellent.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

blundercrush wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:06 pm Shogun, Fallout, X-Men 97 are all excellent.
Agree, Agree, and what is X-Men 97?
Noli Timere Messorem